1. Have a great Memorial Weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Gone Fishin'
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 5/27/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1268.30-- Silver $17.32-- Oil $49.80-- USD $97.36 --
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Alt Medicine/Coll Silver' started by birddog, Feb 12, 2017.

1. birddog

birddog Gold Member Gold Chaser

This is going to start as a book review.

I started a ketogenic diet a week or so ago - seems like I always need to lose a bit of weight. I stumbled on Dr. Fung's book and lightbulbs went off big time.

obesity code.jpg

Basic Summary

Dr. Fung puts forward that the calorie in vs. calorie out diet will never work long term. Everyone has a body weight set point (homeostasis) and if you lose weight it will come right back to its set point after you stop dieting. The biggest reason for this is insulin, the master fat storage hormone. It's like the thermostat in your house, set to a constant level. But how do you get the thermostat to set lower?

Insulin stores fat, to reverse the process and burn fat your insulin level must go very low. So, what triggers insulin? Pretty much anything you put in your mouth. From a donut to an after dinner mint, not just carbs. Insulin resistance is a problem most overweight people have which cases higher average levels. He does a good job explaining why this happens. How do you lower your insulin levels when we are told to eat 6-7 times a day (3 meals and snacks)? When will insulin ever be low enough to burn fat? Even on a low carb diet, if you eat too often and never allow your insulin levels to drop, you will still struggle to lose weight.

His answer to this is intermediate fasting. The missing piece....

Link to book here - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1771641258/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

He is a pretty active blogger and he has linked his blog posts to flow like the book - you can start here. https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/how-do-we-gain-weight-calories-part-1/

Lots of scientific research linked into the blog.

Also, from the bottom of the blog page he has linked in a lecture series he posted on youtube.

2. Oldmansmith

Oldmansmith Midas Member Midas Member

Environmentl Consultant
    Haven't eaten any grain for over two years, I weigh less than I did in high school and have my abs back. I take a bunch of supplements and exercise plenty but cutting out all high glycemic carbs is key. Best part is that is that I don't miss them one bit, although it takes a couple of weeks to get over the carb addiction.

I don't fast but do go at least 13 hours betweeen food at night and breakfast.

3. birddog

Sounds like you found what works for you - that's awesome. You sound like my husband and my two boys. Tall and skinny and in very good shape without having to work too hard to maintain.

But for a lot of folks, it isn't enough to just cut out high glycemic carbs. I can do that for months at a time, barely lose 20-30 pounds and gain it all back in a couple weeks of "normal eating". Calorie restrictive diets don't work for long - they just make your body conserve energy to compensate and your metabolism goes down. He points out in the book that your blood sugar levels and insulin levels are not linked. You can eat low carb (low blood sugar) and still have elevated insulin levels.

I have been eating ketogenic for the last two weeks. 20gms of carbs or less a day. It doesn't stop my insulinemia - I still produce too much insulin. So if I eat 100 calories too many it will still store it as fat. The insulin resistance needs to be lowered and that is what the fasting does. Even just skipping breakfast and eating a late lunch counts.

Goldhedge, searcher and TAEZZAR like this.
  4. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

How about homemade chicken parm with a side of spaghetti and meatballs? One power dump tomorrow and it will be on its way to the Bahamas. 16684243_10210079483882401_3179159185526433615_n.jpg

freud198 and Goldhedge like this.
  5. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

birddog, thanks for the book & links.
    I have done "Fit For Life" several times, but just 2 days ago, I started to look at my old Atkins books.
    I need to lose 20/25 lbs. My entire problem is that I like to EAT !!
    I am starting to do the first phase, 20g max. of carbs/day, similar to you.

I think it could be beneficial to all of us, if we check in regularly with our results, good, bad or ugly.

searcher and birddog like this.
  6. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Adkins works great at taking off weight. 4-5 lbs a week easy........ the hard part was once I hit my target to add carbs a little at a time until could maintain.

searcher and TAEZZAR like this.
  7. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician
    +1

We get our energy too fast with modern food. Eating low GI, low carb allows our body to slip back into fat burning mode without the energy hole that is created when you have masses of insulin floating around the system trying to deal with high GI refined crap. Fasting occasionally and narrowing your daily 'eating window' also helps a lot and its not hard when you are eating right.

2c FWIW.

historyrepete, searcher and TAEZZAR like this.
  8. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician
    You need to do resistance exercise and put on muscle at the same time, muscle burns energy and we are woefully short on it these days. + eating that way is a permanent change, you simply can't eat a lot of what is considered normal these days... its diabetes inducing crap. It is a permanent way of eating, not a temporary diet.

9. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

All good stuff. I have 5 acres to keep me in exercise, BUT this time of year it is way too cold & wet to go out & clean the winter mess.
    I have a couple of exercise machines, but I don't like that kind of exercise. I would much rather do real work.
    When I was young, it was meat & potatoes, bad combo, for the last 25 years, it has been meat, salad & veggies. Very little from a can & just a bit from frozen. We shop the produce section more than any other part of the store.

10. TAEZZAR

I am learning to do "Push-Aways", I found them to be the most beneficial exercise, this time of year.
    BTW, if you are not familiar with "Push-Aways", you might want to try them (push yourself away from the dinner table) they really work.

Uglytruth, Zed and searcher like this.
  11. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

If you exercise regularly then you can eat more food.

TAEZZAR and searcher like this.
  12. birddog

Ok, bought his new book "The Complete Guide to Fasting" and it is just as good.

Anyone that has insulin issues; insulinemia, insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes needs to read these books. It is the answer to the Diabesity epidemic we are in.

Started ketogenic diet on the 3rd, started intermediate fasting on the 7th (ie daily fasting of 16-19 hours) and Tuesday night started a long term fast. Going to see how long I can go. It's been 39 hours so far. And I'll tell you I feel great. My energy level is off the charts. Only issues so far is that my month is dry (I am constantly drinking water and tea) and I had a hard time sleeping last night. I think my body was not tired, but my brain was....

And NO, this isn't starvation. Starvation is a stressful time where you do not know where your next meal is coming from. Fasting is self-control. I can break the fast at any time and I will when I'm ready.

I'll let you know how it goes!!

searcher, TAEZZAR, Zed and 1 other person like this.
  13. Uglytruth

Fats maintain a balance in the brain. I had a boss that went from stopping at every dairy queen to a triathlete..... he was normal but one miserable SOB.
    Left his family for a week & gets along with no one years later. Completely changed his home life, friends, everything.

searcher and Zed like this.
  14. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    I used to skip breakfast for years.

These days I find that if I don't eat I get really stupid. Low blood sugar.

Stuff I've done forever, like soldering wires, turns into a meltdown.

It took me years to figure out I should eat more often.

When I haven't eaten I get crabby like a kid without a nap.

It's as if I sink below the water. Above I'm thinking clearly, below not so much.

Once I 'go there' it's all downhill until I eat. The longer I wait, the deeper I go.

After eating it takes about an hour to rise up above the water.

Then I'm my old self again... a grouchy curmudgeon!

[​IMG]
    Get offa my lawn!​

15. historyrepete

historyrepete Silver Member Silver Miner

Diet starts at the grocery store. Don't buy junk there won't be junk to eat. And don't go on a diet. Your diet is whatever you eat. Change your eating habits for life. Fast weekly exercise daily sleep 7? 8. Dr's tell most every patient these things and prescribe a pill. They'll religiously take the pill and skip the natural things

searcher, Mujahideen, TAEZZAR and 3 others like this.
  16. birddog

To me junk is anything containing sugar or flour - pretty much all processed foods. And what you say is correct, but not as easy for some folks. High insulin levels drives cravings and causes you to eat more sugar. It's a vicious cycle. After a certain point the high insulin levels will just make you fatter and fatter. I had to go cold turkey on the carbs to gain control. You wonder how doctors get away with giving type 2 diabetics insulin when they should make them go on a low carb diet. Their insulin levels are already through the roof and they are to inject more? That is medical malpractice if you ask me. Type 2 diabetes is curable for the most part.

searcher, Howdy, TAEZZAR and 2 others like this.
  17. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Delivery boy.
    I once lost 50 pounds in three months on a protein based ketogenic diet. Over the years, I've crept back up in weight and developed type two diabetes. There's a guy on YouTube named Jason Wittrock. He's on day nine of a 21 day 4,000 calorie diet, all based on fat and protein, for the most part. He's not a big guy, but built like a brick house. He started out at 148.5 pounds. At day seven, on 4,000 calories a day, mostly fat, he weighed in at 147 pounds. Keto is king! Eat fat. Eat protein. Eat vegetables. Get lean and healthy.

searcher, Mujahideen, TAEZZAR and 3 others like this.
  18. <===Foolsgold

<===Foolsgold Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

I bought the book birddog thanks. I am on day two of little or no carbs.

TAEZZAR, birddog and Son of Gloin like this.
  19. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    If you've never been on a low carb, keto style diet before, be prepared for a rough spell, coming up soon. Some people call it keto flu. You'll feel a little rough, like you're coming down with something, maybe grouchy or irritable, too. It's just your body adjusting to the lack of carbohydrate energy and switching to fat burning energy. Wittrock says you're low on electrolytes. You need sodium, potassium and magnesium. You can make your own no carb electrolyte drink with salt, I use Himalayan pink salt, a little pure Epsom salt (magnesium), and lite salt (potassium). You don't need much of each, just stir it up in warm water. You can also add fresh lemon, lime and/or oranges. Citrus fruits are high in electrolytes also and improve the flavor.

20. Fjpod

Fjpod Silver Member Silver Miner

I was brought up with, "if it comes in a box or a can, don't eat it."

Howdy, <===Foolsgold, TAEZZAR and 3 others like this.
  21. birddog

I felt like I had the flu for 4-5 days when I started. Getting over sugar and training your body to matabolize fat takes a couple days. It gets better and easier, believe me......

22. Uglytruth

Once I got to my target weight I had cravings. I wanted fruit, spaghetti, things like that. Was swamped one weekend & had pizza....... I was so far off the rails so fast it was insane.
    Any advice on how to come in for a soft maintainable landing when it's time to add some carbs to maintain target weight?

I liked drinking the water & getting away from pop. I liked eating meat part but a few green beans with it would have been heaven.

23. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    You can have as many vegetables as you like. Nice big salads with olive oil vinaigrette, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, onions, tomatoes, green beans, asparagus. Just go easy on the carrots, yams and potatoes, they're pretty starchy and that turns to sugar easy in your system.

If you go off the rails occasionally, just be prepared to pay for it. You will get hung over like an alcohol binge would do to you, which tells you that sugar is just like a drug to your body. You'll have to decide for yourself how much you want those goodies and if you do, how much you should indulge yourself. Myself, I always feel miserable for days whenever I binge on carbohydrates. I might as well drink a case of Heineken.

searcher, TAEZZAR and Uglytruth like this.
  24. Uglytruth

Now that's sure a "pick your poison" choice! LOL

25. birddog

A big theme in the book is feast then famine. Have you tried intermediate fasting? Nothing hardcore, but going 18-23 hours between meals? It allows your insulin levels to lower. And helps use up any extra fat that was stored during those binges.

Also, Atkins has a couple levels to their plan. If you want to track carbs for a bit to get back to where you need to be, this is helpful.

atkins20.jpg

The list of low carb foods are here https://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/atkins-20/phase-1/low-carb-foods Lots of veggies on the list.

searcher, Uglytruth and TAEZZAR like this.
  26. TAEZZAR

Pick your veggies carefully on the 20g phase 1. Onions, peppers, broccoli, garlic, & more will add up quickly.
    I'm staying right at 20g, thank God avocado's are low.
    A great salad for avocado lovers is, ice berg &/or romaine/arugula, radish, olives, mushrooms & avocado (1/2), topped with oil & vinegar/lemon juice.
    I've lost 5 lbs. in 5 days, of course it's mostly water.
    First 2 days were a little rough, it's getting easier.

27. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    No kidding. I thought onions, peppers and broccoli were virtually carb free.

28. TAEZZAR

searcher and Son of Gloin like this.
  29. Uglytruth

Onions have sugar......... that's why they brown so nice grilled in butter...........

30. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    Stop that! You're making me hungry and I don't have time to stop and eat.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    Goldhedge, searcher, TAEZZAR and 3 others like this.
  31. birddog

Skipping meals is good for you.... lol. I just hit 65 hours since my last one.

searcher, TAEZZAR and Cigarlover like this.
  32. historyrepete

I'll fast 24-48 hours but sometimes i cheat. I'll drink coffee and occasionally a cocktail. But no food. I find it easy if I've got lots to do.
    I'm gonna mix up those salts that SoG spoke of

33. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    Make sure to use the pure Epsom salts. You don't wanna use the ones with fragrance. That would be nasty.

searcher, TAEZZAR and historyrepete like this.
  34. birddog

I drink water with a splash of lemon juice, tea and have some homemade bone broth with added Himalayan salt once a day.

35. Flight2gold

Flight2gold Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter ++

pilot
    I wouldn't worry to much about the amount of "sugar" in onions to much. Onions contain a sulfur compound and a flavonoid that actually help lower glucose levels in your blood.
    2 cups of onions equals 20 grams of carbs.
    2 cups is a lot of onion at one sitting.

36. historyrepete

Not off the grill, i could eat 2 grilled yellow onions on a burger with mustard and pickle. lol let's eat

searcher and Flight2gold like this.
  37. Flight2gold

Flight2gold Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter ++

pilot
    Ok, 2 cups of onions is a lot for most people. :))
    Agreed, grilled items are the best.

historyrepete likes this.
  38. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    Well, here are a few ideas for substitution in common favorite recipes that reduce carbohydrate content. I love homemade vegetable soup. I make it right, starting out with a soup-bone, cooking the bone for two or three hours to get all the good stuff out of the bone and marrow. Then I cut up a nice big roast, add chopped up cabbage, carrots, onions, tomatoes, a big bag of mixed vegetables and V8 juice. Now, I used to add in a bunch of chopped up potatoes, but now I add in chopped up cauliflower instead. The cauliflower has much more fiber, vitamins and minerals and a low carb load. I think it tastes better and has better texture than potatoes.

Another trick I just learned, recently, from experimenting, is sourkraut and pork. I used to love kraut and pork with mashed potatoes. The last time I made it, I put a nice pork loin in the crock pot. Then, I surrounded the pork with cauliflower and topped it all with fresh made kraut from a local store and put a few tablespoons of brown sugar on top, for flavor. I don't think that added too many carbs. Anyway, the results were incredible. The flavor was just off the charts. Way better than potatoes could ever be. You folks need to try this, even if you don't care about keto, or low carb. I mean it tasted phenomenal.

There's other stuff I can post later, if anyone is interested.

searcher, TAEZZAR, Uglytruth and 4 others like this.
  39. birddog

Cauliflower is the mother vegetable. I love how it is available riced at most stores by me. I have made it into pizza crust, fried like hash browns, used it in meatloaf and stuffed peppers instead of rice. Hmm, maybe we need a low carb/paleo thread to put the recipes in?

40. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    I need to try the cauliflower pan fried with onions, sometime, done up just like homefries. I'll bet that tastes great.

Thumbs up on the keto recipe thread idea.