1. Stocks start off holding yesterdays gains, metals continue to pull back
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Tues Am. Gold continues to roll back and down 4.9 to 1272. Silver is down 3 to 1782. Crude is +12 to 4935, while the USD is down 3 to 9894
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 4/22/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1289.10-- UP 0.60 Silver $17.85-- down 66 Oil $49.62-- down 3.80 USD $99.88 -- down 58

The U.S. Army's New Rifle Is A Game Changer

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by Goldhedge, Mar 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    You can run...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Victoriano Serrano Contreras added 3 new photos.
    March 12 at 8:16pm ·
    The U.S. Army's New Rifle Is A Game Changer

The XM25 (now the MXT135), designed by Minnesota's Alliant Techsystems, has been in development for about seven years and the first prototypes have been doled out to combat units in Afghanistan earlier this month. The 12-pound, 29-inch system, which costs up to $35,000 per unit, is so sophisticated that soldiers are proficient users literally within minutes. (U.S. Army) At $45/round it is a real bargain!

A lot of ISIS fighters are going to get their wish – to meet Allah and get their 72 Virgins!

The MXT135 Counter Defilade Target Engagement System has a range of roughly 7,800 feet - and is to be deployed in Afghanistan soon. I would call it the "Equalizer." Some call it the "Punisher."

The rifle's gun sight uses a laser range finder to determine the exact distance to the obstruction, after which the soldier can add or subtract up to 10 meters from that distance to enable the bullets to clear the barrier and explode above or beside the target.

Soldiers will be able to use them to target snipers hidden in trenches rather than calling in air strikes.

The 35-millimeter round contains a chip that receives a radio signal from the gun sight as to the precise distance to the target.

Lt. Col. Christopher Lehner, project manager for the system, described the weapon as a 'game-changer' that other nations will try and copy.

The Army plans to buy 42,500 of the MXT135 rifles this year, enough for every member of the infantry and special forces, at a cost of $11,900.00 each.

Lehner told Fox News: "With this weapon system, we take away cover from [enemy targets] forever. Tactics are going to have to be rewritten. The only thing we can see [enemies] being able to do is run away."

Experts say the rifle means that enemy troops will no longer be safe if they take cover. The MXT135 appears to be the perfect weapon for street-to-street fighting that troops in Afghanistan have to engage in, with enemy fighters hiding behind walls and only breaking cover to fire occasionally.

The weapon's laser finder would work out how far away the enemy was and then the U.S. Soldier would add one meter using a button near the trigger.

When fired, the explosive round would carry exactly one meter past the wall and explode with the force of a hand grenade above the Taliban fighter.

The Army's project manager for new weapons, Douglas Tamilio, said, “This is the first leap-ahead technology for troops that we've been able to develop and deploy."

A patent granted to the bullet's maker, Alliant Tech systems, reveals that the chip can determine how far it has traveled. Mr. Tamilio said: "You could shoot a Javelin missile, and it would cost about $69,000. These rounds will end up costing $45.00 apiece."

They're relatively cheap. Lehner added, "This is a game-changer. The enemy has learned to get cover for hundreds if not thousands of years. Well, they can't do that anymore. We're taking that cover from them and there's only two outcomes: We're going to get you behind that cover or force you to flee." The rifle will initially use high-explosive rounds, but its makers say that it might later use versions with smaller explosive charges that aim to stun rather than kill.

One of the revolutionary bullets that can be pre-programmed to explode to hit troops that are hiding.

GO ARMY!

Legal gun owners have over 300 million guns and 12 trillion rounds of ammo. Seriously y’all, if we were the problem, you’d know it !

Found off facebook

searcher, Zed, shamash and 1 other person like this.
  2. skychief

skychief enthusiastic stacker Silver Miner

Musician
    Do they intend to make a civilian version of this MXT135?

Zed likes this.
  3. solarion

solarion Gold Member Gold Chaser

Ah, so that's why the US military is still deployed to Afghanistan. ...so we can waste .5 billion we don't have on this piece of crap. Super.

gringott likes this.
  4. historyrepete

historyrepete Silver Member Silver Miner

Horse shoes and hand grenades, and now rifles.

5. BarnacleBob

BarnacleBob GIM Founding Member & Mod. Founding Member Site Mgr Site Supporter

Sounds great until a $10 hand held Chin made signal jammer hack arrives into the equation.... Oh the surprise to the operator when his computer assisted remote control round explodes as it exits the barrel....

6. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    I'll reserve judgement until this is proven in combat.
    A properly aimed 40mm grenade from a M203 will do exactly the same thing, blowing up behind the cover.
    No electronics needed.

searcher, tom baxter, Zed and 2 others like this.
  7. Aurumag

Aurumag Seeker of Truth and Justice Midas Member Site Supporter

Illuminator
    BB nailed it!

Too many competent hackers out there for this to work effectively.

I hope POTUS and CINC Trump scraps it.

And per Gringo's post:

At 300 yards I could put that projectile into an open window with the M203.

I was a pretty good M60 gunner too, and taught lots of kiddies to shoot.

searcher and gringott like this.
  8. gringott

N/A
    I first qualified on the M79. The M203 was the XM203 at the time, and we were told it was not yet allowed to be fired in the US although it was being used in combat in Vietnam. Of course I have much more firing time with the M203 as I was later a grenadier with it. However, comparing my experience with the two, I would much rather have the M79, but the obvious trade off is you get a rifle with the M203. Great sights on the M79, the carry handle quadrant sights on the M203 suffer from being removable - great, you qualify with the sight then take it off to put in the arms room or for daily use. That being said, I always qualified expert with the M203. One summer we went to West Germany to fire crew served weapons etc, and at the M203 range they had cases of HE left over, after dinner a friend and I went back to the range and fired a ton of rounds - the only two who volunteered to do so. Next day my shoulder was black and blue.

I later saw the m79 down in El Salvador, so they didn't put those things in the crusher...

[​IMG]

searcher, historyrepete and Aurumag like this.
  9. dacrunch

dacrunch Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

a blast of EMP, and you're left with an expensive kid's toy...

Zed and gringott like this.
  10. luckabuck

luckabuck Gold Member Gold Chaser

Comes with an optional $700 toilet seat to sit on while you figure out how to use it.

GOLDBRIX, Zed and gringott like this.
  11. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

The XM25 sounds like a rifle only the Air Force could love. High priced, lots of parts and destroys anything close to where you supposedly aim.

The Marines on the other hand would probably opt to go back to the M1903 just to piss off an Air Force general.

GOLDBRIX, searcher, gringott and 2 others like this.
  12. brosil

brosil Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Ah, the bloop gun! I loved mine but couldn't figure out how to get it home. Besides, ammo would have been so hard to come by. It would have made a great woodchuck gun, though. Even if the bastard made it down the hole, you could still get him. I saw M203s just as I left but I never got to shoot one.

gringott likes this.
  13. gringott

N/A
    I never got a M4 with a M203, that would be my "perfect" weapon.
    I remember laughing about a Navy setup for a patrol boat, their version of the M16/M203.
    It was a .50 cal with a 81 mm breech loaded mortar mounted under it [over - under].
    "The 81 mm combination mortar mounted on the rear deck was not a gravity firing mortar as used by the Army and Marine Corps, in which the falling projectile's primer struck the fixed firing pin at the base of the mortar tube, but a unique lanyard firing weapon in which the projectile was still loaded into the muzzle. The gunner could "fire at will" by the use of the lanyard. The weapon had been tested in the 1950s, discarded as the U.S. Navy lost interest in the system. The United States Coast Guard maintained the gun/mortar system before the Navy incorporated it into the PCF program."

A bit heavy for a Infantry grunt to hump I would think. In Berlin my squad was assigned two .50 cals, to be used in defense. Obviously we didn't hump them, they were trucked to us in the defense. At one point our squad was down to three people, a squad leader, me a team leader, and the other team leader. We had to do a defense in the British Fighting City like this, three men with two .50 cals. Normal team for a .50 cal is three. Pretty weird.

searcher likes this.
  14. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford Midas Member Midas Member

wastewater

you owe me a new keyboard....:belly laugh::laughing::dduck::rotf:

GOLDBRIX, skychief, Zed and 2 others like this.
  15. Silvergun

Silvergun Silver Member Silver Miner

Land Surveyor
    I see where everyone is going with this and I would tend to agree that it is a massive waste of money. Playing devils advocate though, has an EMP device ever been used against US troops? US bullshit wars are faught against people who live in caves, dirt shacks, etc. The US always picks on the little guys because we are an imperialistic bully. Small arm AK47s, mosin nagants and throw in some soveit era RPGs to the mix. I guess someone could come in here and point out some tech that ISIS uses and my comment to that would be...who gave em that (CIA)?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  16. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

I'd say an expensive stick and fancy rocks to throw, unless you can touch the ammo off shooting it with M16/M4 or 9mm.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  17. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

I cant recall anyone ever using and emp device on a battlefield.

18. gringott

N/A
    The terrorists will make one out of a cellphone.

Aurumag likes this.
  19. tom baxter

tom baxter back from 2004

Retired now
    Yes, for every weapon there is a tactic developed. Didn't Robert Rogers, founder of the US Rangers, employ the one shot method where he would lie in wait, sometimes for hours, to take down a single British officer and then melt back into the forest?

Aurumag likes this.
  20. gringott

N/A
    If the above is true, so they are going to replace cheap rifles [I hope cheap - around $700 is what I think it is for an M4] with an almost $12K grenade launcher that fires $45 a round ammunition?
    Does this even sound practical or does it even make sense to any soldiers, former or current? I think ball ammo comes in a bit cheaper than $45 a round, plus how many of those grenade rounds can a grunt hump? Seems to me you might run out of ammo pretty quick. Plus the weapon weighs 12 pounds and looks bulky and awkward. The M4 weighs around 6.6 lb empty and 7.5 loaded with 30 rd magazine. M203 adds 3 lbs and cost just over $1k. The M203 is slated to be replaced with the M320 by 2020. I don't know the cost of the M320 but it looks pretty expensive, considering the laser stuff and sights. It weighs about 3.9 lbs with the laser and sights. It loads from the breech.

So I personally am going on the record as saying I do not believe that every infantry and special forces soldier is giving up his rifle for this grenade launcher. The OP seems like a puff piece.

ErrosionOfAccord and searcher like this.
  21. Thecrensh

Thecrensh Gold Member Gold Chaser

Not to my knowledge...but ISIS has started flying armed drones, so anything is possible. It's just a matter of time.

22. Aurumag

Illuminator
    Not an EMP

Directed RF

Now,

has a Directed RF device ever been used against US troops?

Yes!

IED with wireless phone.

Will tech be employed to thwart this weapon?

Of course it will be hacked.

searcher and gringott like this.
  23. tom baxter

Retired now
    Of course not? But it generates huge profits for the arms dealer, allows the US gov to borrow a bit more debt, which in turn keeps the wheels of the economy turning a bit longer. Every little bit helps.

gringott likes this.
  24. gringott

N/A
    I guess I should take this article with a grain of salt. The Army says stuff and later they don't do it because it is stupid. Most likely Tom Baxter is right and it is a money thing. Example, when I got to 7th ID I found out the MTOE says we didn't have the M60 machine gun, the two SAWs per squad were the replacement in the Infantry platoon. When I asked why we had them if they weren't in the MTOE, the explanation was that it looked good on paper but nobody was going to send the troops to war without a couple of real machine guns per platoon.

Aurumag likes this.
  25. Rusty Shackelford

wastewater

Must be the rationale for the huge military budget increase Trump put out.

26. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

That is because Obama did a Carter on the military and its upkeep.

27. tom baxter

Retired now
    The Trump administration is pushing hard to get the debt ceiling raised, and this is a complete reversal from how Donald Trump felt about the debt ceiling back in 2013. The following comes from the L.A. Times…

"Trump sided with hard-liners in 2013, publicly opposing an increase. “I cannot believe the Republicans are extending the debt ceiling — I am a Republican & I am embarrassed!” he tweeted then."

Trump was actually right about the debt ceiling in 2013, and he is wrong now.

We simply cannot afford to keep adding trillions of dollars to the national debt. What we are doing to future generations of Americans is beyond criminal, because we are literally destroying their future just so that we can enjoy an inflated standard of living that we do not deserve today.

28. Rusty Shackelford

wastewater
    But trump is different........

29. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

In Deed

30. Aurumag

Illuminator
    Time to take this thread on another drift:

7th ID

The Black Widow

I was stationed at Ft. Hunter Liggett from early 86 through 87 and saw plenty of 7th ID patches while I roamed the field on MP duty.

Originally I was stationed at The Planet Ord, wore civilian clothes, and worked in various gigs at the golf course, horse stables, and other VIP venues, including bar tending and shuttling flag officers. 4 hours a day max of work. We would usually be ordered to "go home" at about 1 PM.

After I attempted to apply for housing, the E-8 interviewing me picked up the land-line, called the MP Company and told them, "Did you know you have an MP working at the stables?"

One week later I was back in uniform, armed, and working 12 hour shifts at Liggett.

Best duty ever.

Hunting pigs and wheeling around the bush in new Chevy Blazers (396 Diesel CCOCVs custom painted).

I got busted for skinny dipping on duty.

I got busted for destroying a Blazer motor after crossing a swollen creek.

Didn't get busted for head-shot finishing a 300 pound boar with an Army issue .45 after my team leader had perfectly popped it in the forelegs with an Army issued 12 gauge (we supplied our own ammo).

Spent my last month prior to ETS confined to barracks for punching a hole in the sheetrock of the MP station, turning in my .45 and refusing to work, because our dipsh*t Lt. decreed that everyone would be denied leave in order to do PT.

I was one of only two in the LE detachment who had repeatedly maxed PT tests.

ETS with Good Conduct at E-4, then spent the last 5 years as a reserve MP NCO doing all sorts of cool sh*t.

If not for my wife and two kids, I would have been a lifer.

The M-60 rocks!

Coming full circle

After I returned to Cali from Deutschland, all the training was geared towards the Korean theatre.

Now I work in electronics and know dogmatically that the weapon in the OP will never make it past the weapons experimentation phase.

Hunter Liggett remains to this day a weapons experiment venue, and when I was there, it was all about laser weapons.

Interesting times indeed.

gringott likes this.
  31. tom baxter

Retired now
    They all have no choice. There is no way out of the situation. that's why the preppers are on the right track because it's not a matter of if anymore.

32. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician
    I reckon it would be cheaper and more fun if we turned ME into one great big paint ball ground and televised it with daily scores. Hell we'd probably turn a profit on the advertising!

33. Aurumag

Illuminator
    How about using DC as the arena instead? Along with something a little more lethal...

Zed likes this.