1. Markets swoon moving into Monday open, Metals catch a nice bid
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Monday Morning! Gold is up 8.8 to 1257, while Silver is up 18 to 1793. Crude is falling 40 to 4757. The USD is down 50 to 9893.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 3/25/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1248.50-- UP 18.30 Silver $17.75-- UP 34 Oil $47.97-- DOWN 134 TICS USD $99.42 -- DOWN 66 tics

the workin man

Discussion in 'Projects, Builds, Woodworking, Metalworks' started by stonedywankanobe, Sep 15, 2016.

1. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter

IMG_0365.JPG Another windy cold day front is here from the midwest i know feckin Irons is laughing at me right now. i like using this protecto sheild around windows, thoughts?

stonedywankanobe and Lt Dan like this.
  2. stonedywankanobe

stonedywankanobe Gold Member Gold Chaser

Though I havnt seen that particular brand we use something similar (ziptape)on nearly everything we do. It's good shit man.

Had the day off and wish I had worked. The olde lady and kiddos are heading to St.Louis for Thanksgiving and it was time for some work on her van.
    Changed plugs, wires, oil, new shocks and struts+put a new battery on there for peace of mind.
    7hours straight and me hurt allover.

Picked up a good little job today from the nephew of the fellow we did the little barn house for.

Dial you must feel like you've died and gone to window hell. lookin good mr.

Zed and andial like this.
  3. andial

Is what I'm doing next week tuning up the van, i'm ok with the windows not working every day plus once silver rockets it will all be worth it.

stonedywankanobe likes this.
  4. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Totally with you. I would wrap everything in housewrap, tyvek or equiv, and turn it into the rough window openings. Then I would mount the windows, and finish it with ice/water shield in strips over the window flanges. Not only would it prevent water leakage, it also killed off drafts from air movement.

Lot of guys started using tape around all windows after they came out with a suitable product for it.

Zed, stonedywankanobe and andial like this.
  5. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    those windows would look great in my deer blind.........LOL......got to do the craigslist vigal for the next few months to find some cheap opperable windows for the missus deer tajmahal deer blind

stonedywankanobe and andial like this.
  6. mayhem

mayhem A Different Perspective Silver Miner Site Supporter

Retired
    I built this house 29 years ago and wood framed it instead of using block.* So after the fiasco of hurricane Mathew putting up all those aluminum storm panels I decided to inquire about replacing them with hurricane approved winders. Everyone I talked to looked at me like, sell it to some ignorant Latin, and buy a new block house.

Well I will have to put out 50% or more for custom made flange winders. Yikes! They are already expensive as all get out. I have a lot of winders here, especially the front and one side that go from one foot off the floor to seven foot, (10 ft. ceilings). I could lower the price if I didn't want winders that opened. How stupid is that? Never would be able to escape, and I don't think code would accept it anyway, so I did my best military about face and left that guy standing there. So I'm in limbo for now. After the holidays I will chase down some mfg's and see what I can do. Winders for block houses have no flange. Sure I prolly could install them, but they would never seal tight as they set into the middle of the opening instead of the outer edge, and all my trim, which is stained instead of paint would need to be redone.

Other option is to put someone under contact to come out here and put the panels up if a storm threatens, but that is a dice roll, as all the good men left long ago for greener pastures leaving us with half a$$ed people.

*People don't do wood frame down here because of hurricanes and termites. I chose it because block just can not be sealed air tight period. Wind driven water will invade any little space and even the block itself, and mold is a guarantee. I almost can assure anyone that mold is growing on the back of their drywall beneath the windows. Don't know how good this new mold proof drywall is working out because I have been retired for the last 12 years. I have 2,500 sq under air and the electric bill even in the heat of summer never goes above $175.00. I know of people living in 1k apartments who pay that much or more.

stonedywankanobe, Scorpio and andial like this.
  7. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

What type of siding mayhem?

You could go down to a local steel manuf, and have him make frames that you fasten to the wall permanently. Have a slip channel that you just slide the panels in prior to a 'cane, and done. Once you have a frame, the actual panels could be anything you thought worthy. Leave your access points to the rear away from the wind directions.

Could be as simple as a S shape double angle iron, painted.

For the infrequency of the event, is that reason enough to change out all the windows? Or are the windows starting to age anyway?

1.jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    ttazzman, mayhem and stonedywankanobe like this.
  8. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Get plastic or fiberglass panels and install the anchors yourself. They won't stand up to 150 mph winds, but neither will a frame home.

My mom had her 3600 sq ft home done for a little over $500.

9. mayhem

Retired
    2x6 framed, 1/2" ply, then 30 lb paper, then cedar shakes, and cedar trim. House wrap back then wasn't recommended because of the humidity and the heat of the daytime sun, I don't-no . I took the advice of a couple of peeps who said not to use it.
    Attractive idea.
    Here's the problem with home made solutions, the insurance Co would withdraw payment if any solution didn't pass the Miami/Dade hurricane Code first. Getting approval would involve $$$$$ for testing. You probably seen them shooting 2x4 at windows trying to break them, or make them tear away from the framing. House Ins. is expensive now, but if you hire a certified inspector to sign off that everything is kopo, you can get up to 40% discount. You guys know the drill. Gotta pay the .gov off first.

Also, you must know that County building inspectors are just people who can't make it in the construction business. They earn their living taking bribes from the home builders for a quickie blind inspection, but being a non political GC, they nit-picked me to the extreme because I slapped their hand when they stuck it out.
    . .
    The current hurricane panels:
    They have what is called "J" Track at the top and you slide the top of the panel into that, then at the bottom is "F" track that you slide the bolts into, put up the panel, and slide the bolts through the panel and lock with a wingnut.
    Why looking to replace? Well it started with me putting up the panels, and the newer windows are more energy efficient, (looking to resale value, as these kids today wouldn't have a clue what a wing nut was so they all want something safe, and not time consuming. None of them even mow their yards, they hire a Landscape Co. to do it every two weeks.) and the alum frames lost all their color over the 30 years (I could get them painted to doll them up I suppose). Also, we would like to stay here, and probably will, but the house is becoming harder and harder for the wife and I to keep up with. We bought a 5 unit condo building from a developer back in 1996. Rented all of them till just before the crash when we unloaded 4, and kept one for ourselves that is rented now, so we have a place to go to if we were to sell this house.

Hystckndle and stonedywankanobe like this.
  10. mayhem

Retired
    Is she in PBC, Broward, or Dade? I know they have tight requirements for window coverings.

About whether my house would stand 150 mph wind, it would. The problem is for any house frame or block is your neighbors roof crashing into yours, thus taking your's down. I didn't skimp on truss hold down either. If anything I went to overkill. The last inspector (have to renew it every 5 years to get the discount) accused my of being bat crazy.

Been through a few canes, the worst being Wilma. I was the only house in the neighborhood with "0" damage. Seriously, and I know you just moved into a new home, but I wouldn't buy anything newer than 2002. That's when the chain builders, Lenar, G K Homes, etc. went cheap. Polish drywall, Chink drywall and fasteners, one coat stucco, yadda, yadda. Did you get a box or two of floor tile left in the garage? They leave then there because it is almost guaranteed the tile floor will crack and they need them for replacing the cracked ones. (same batch and mfg. so it will match)

Why? They now use sand as the base under the slab. Prior to 2003 they all used shell rock and allowed it to set for a month before pouring the slab and framing it out.

11. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

We live in St. Lucie County, but I have lives all over Broward too. I am living in my 5th new home. Some areas they took shortcuts, but my old homes do not match up to this one in most ways. They used waferboard on the roof, but backed it with foil as a radiant barrier. Much more energy efficient than bare 3/4" plywood, but it is less strong and the foil interferes with cell phone reception.

stonedywankanobe and mayhem like this.
  12. andial

IMG_0406.JPG Finally got the outside done.

stonedywankanobe, ttazzman and Lt Dan like this.
  13. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    Nick .....i live in a metal skinned "Faraday cage" i put in a cell phone repeater system (zboost brand) with inside and outside antenna to get cell coverage basicly it gives me the same coverage as if i was standing on roof with phone in hand 3bar siginal vs nothing inside without it

14. andial

IMG_0409.JPG Artsy shot almost done last 4 windows all bottom floor save the easy for last IMHO.

Hystckndle, smooth, Pyramid and 2 others like this.
  15. stonedywankanobe

Looks like that house was hand driven from the nail heads in the sill, when I was a pup pops and his bros didn't have air equipment and hand drove everything.

Can't say I miss that olde school aspect much. I spent summers from the time I was 12 hand banging box framed walls, toe nailing joist, hanging rafters, wall sheathing, roof decking... even the tar paper was put on with hand driven cap nails. Endlessly it seemed, swinging that estwing.

They believed they were delivering a better built product and while I agreed to an extent, soon interjected the radical idea that time was money.

By the time I finished school I was a gristled 18 year olde vet of doing it the hard way. Soon I had bought a raggedy emglo compressor, a rock solid 20 pound senco dinosaur of a framing nailer and a Hitachi narrow crown decking stapler that i bought for 20 bucks and restored to working order myself.

We never looked back, goodtimes.

Also, do you get to keep the windows from this project sir?

Zed, smooth, andial and 1 other person like this.
  16. Pyramid

Pyramid Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

That's a helluva nice van andial...don't let smooth get anywhere near it. :-}

Zed, JayDubya, Lt Dan and 3 others like this.
  17. andial

Yes the house was built in 1971 so hand nailed and yes I'm keeping any aluminum will show you the stash. Pyramid? Zoom in that thing is rusting away but drivetrain is solid.

Lt Dan, stonedywankanobe and Pyramid like this.
  18. smooth

smooth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Yer van looks brand new Sir, but if you would like ol' smooth could help you give it that special patina type look while roughing it up a bit around the edges. Is up to you.

stonedywankanobe, Lt Dan and andial like this.
  19. andial

Wanna buy it?

stonedywankanobe, Lt Dan and smooth like this.
  20. smooth

Nope. Just wanna borrow it....

21. andial

I'll trade it for silver and gold.

stonedywankanobe, Lt Dan and smooth like this.
  22. smooth

Never mind I just saw the rust under the door. You should pull the plates and VIN's and park it by the river.

23. andial

How about copper Sir? I'll trade it for copper.

stonedywankanobe, smooth and Lt Dan like this.
  24. smooth

No thanks, but I'll gladly trade you some older aluminum window frames that I've had laying around for a couple of years (glass included).

Lt Dan and stonedywankanobe like this.
  25. andial

If you think about it all that metal that rusted away makes it lighter and
    Ok, we'll meet at Bobby Orr's house to make the deal!

smooth, Lt Dan and stonedywankanobe like this.
  26. andial

27. andial

IMG_0420.JPG this is right out of the stupit playbook, cut the ladder for whatever reason some time ago and now need the length back.

Lt Dan and stonedywankanobe like this.
  28. JayDubya

JayDubya Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

By any chance, you're not a Razorback are ya andial?

29. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician
    Make it into a Rat Rod and some muppet will give you $$$$$ for it....

30. andial

They do that? cut ladders?

31. stonedywankanobe

Lol. Looks hazardous, I like it.
    That is an odd looking stairway in the background I'm assuming it's metal. The stained post and rail with the painted spindles and shag carpet wrapped floaty treads gives it that wtf happened here look imo.

You painting the whole thing sir?

smooth, andial and Lt Dan like this.
  32. stonedywankanobe

First picture just loaded, looks like you sanded and uncovered evidence of an olde spirit cook mebe?

andial and Lt Dan like this.
  33. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

34. smooth

Congrats on the tongue and groove ceiling. Turned out great!

35. andial

In that first picture I was showing how I capture the dust when sanding the wall instead of letting it fall to the floor, house was built in the sixties hence the hippie inspired staircase, painting the house solo. Did not install the T+G ceiling but am painting it pinched a nerve also my life sucks thank the Lord I have silver to bail me out.

36. JayDubya

JayDubya Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Yeah, that kinda crap and even worse. I'm sure stonedywankanobe can fill you in.

37. stonedywankanobe

I'm not going there JDubya. You were correct about the heartbreak this year to be sure.

Mine totally blows ass right now also. So slow but I got a few calls today so mebe something will pop off real soon. Already sold 2 rolls of swellver beagles, made me sick.
    Like you say though glad it were there to bail me out, Praise the Jesus!

38. andial

You'll get busy soon enough sir happens all the time, I'm mad at myself pinched a nerve painting that T+G had to use a brush getting worse as I sit here can't even look up.

39. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    I worked on and fixed my leaf blower today!

I usually do not use it to blow leaves, it is for clearing the sawdust from around the sawmill. That and blowing the grass off the riding lawn mower. Not mowing any grass this time of year.:weed:

smooth, stonedywankanobe and andial like this.
  40. stonedywankanobe

Ceilings are so brutal, compound that by 10 when brushing them off a Dialed up ladder. Am laughing but I know it's not funny to be you Mr.

i recommend a cyclobenzaprene and half a good joint sir.

Soon enough Lt. We'll be cussing grass the once moar.