1. Potus out of town, all is pretty quiet for now
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Mon Morning! Gold catches a bid +2.7 to 1256, while Silver is +16 to 1696. Crude still moving up 48 to 5115. The USD is down 6 and breaks 97, 9696.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 5/13/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1227.70-- UP 0.80 Silver $16.40-- UP 13 Oil $47.84-- UP 1.62 USD $99.13 -- UP .61
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

the workin man

Discussion in 'Projects, Builds, Woodworking, Metalworks' started by stonedywankanobe, Sep 15, 2016.

1. smooth

smooth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Whats worse ceilings or floors? This floating bamboo floor is gonna be YUGE!
    bamboo.jpg

stonedywankanobe, andial and Lt Dan like this.
  2. mayhem

mayhem Другая перспектива Silver Miner Site Supporter

Retired
    Haven't popped in for a while but the cutting off the ladder did get a chuckle from me andial. Thought about it a couple of times myself. In fact I needed a 5 footer and had a extra 6 in the shop so I did cut one of them down.

BTW, y'all ever see a pair of Mexican stilts?

They consist of three to four empty mud buckets with a pair of sneeks screwed on'em. Wish I had a picture to show ya, funny s#it

stonedywankanobe and andial like this.
  3. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Floors harder by far smooth, JMHO

smooth and stonedywankanobe like this.
  4. andial

IMG_0393.JPG This is the product you want to use when patching walls on paint jobs is not to dry so it sticks good plus is not to wet like regular compound so no shrinking, sands easy also.

stonedywankanobe, Lt Dan and smooth like this.
  5. andial

Will, you know i have a twin brother? He was the tile guy and i was the carpentry guy back in the day, i used to make fun of him when he was breaking his ass tiling while i was hanging doors, doing trim work. One day he got so enraged he broke my air nailer. We never worked together again.

gringott, smooth and stonedywankanobe like this.
  6. mayhem

Retired
    FWIW I'll pass on a tip a long passed drywall finisher (which is was years ago) passed on to me one day. Put a once or two of water into a small bucket or drywall pan, a very small amount of plaster of paris, then some drywall mud. Mix up real well so it's a smooth texture. Use that to patch cracks small mail holes or even as a finish coat on seams. The plaster of paris smooths out so well that there isn't any edges to sand even, and doesn't shrink one bit. Feels like a sanded wall when dry. Takes a few experiments to get the mix right. Here in Fla most finishers use metal drywall pans and knives, so it is easy to mix up in the pan.

I did a small remodel for a art gallery in Boca Raton and the work had to be flawless. I used the above method for the last coat and the contractor asked when I would be back to sand because he wanted to be sure that no dust got on anything. Sand, I asked him? Never was my reply, feel the wall in the morning and call me if the painter needs it sanded. Never heard from him until I ran into him at a bar where we hung out. He wanted to know how I did it, as he had never seen something so smooth without sanding. Mayhe I'll send him this link (he is also retired now) and tell him how I did it.

Edit to add: When you work only in multi-million houses you need to know all the tricks of your trade as those people are the worst. And drywall dust is simply a no-no.

gringott, smooth, Lt Dan and 2 others like this.
  7. stonedywankanobe

stonedywankanobe Gold Member Gold Chaser

I did not know that Dialbro. I knew you had a brother but not a twin. Seems like I remember you telling me a story a few yrs back where he had sold you a brick of silver, then when silver went way up he tried to buy it back for what you had paid for it.
    Goodtimes.

A fellow I'm working with has a twin, they can drink and get along ok but I've seen them try and work together and uh no.

Yep tile slash floor work is rough on the ol knees these days. Only way I'm doing it is if it's my own project and silver is above 25 bucks so I got that spring in my step!

smooth, Lt Dan and andial like this.
  8. andial

Yes I heard of the plaster of Paris plus joint compound mix never tried it but I heard is very good. Yes customers stress over sanding dust.

mayhem likes this.
  9. smooth

This woman Im working for.... never happy, makes a shitty sammich, and says I drink too much on the job.

Hystckndle, Lt Dan, mayhem and 2 others like this.
  10. andial

IMG_0421.JPG My opinion, drink after work.

Lt Dan, smooth, mayhem and 1 other person like this.
  11. stonedywankanobe

Nice dust collection apparatus Andialber.

I've tried and tried to post a picture of a few recent projects but until I renew my wireless plan and get some more 4g it's near hopeless.

So imagine a real dumpy looking 60's style duplex about 2 thousand square ft, real low pitch roof with humps and bumps, in a real crappy part of town too.

I'm there, putting a clay colored metal roof on that pile of feckin shit.

andial and Lt Dan like this.
  12. mayhem

Retired
    Give it a try when you get the chance. PoP does dry pretty fast so you need to work quickly.

Well when I was young and more stupid than I am now I sanded without a mask because it was just plain to hot here in fla. (doing piece work) I'm paying for it now though with lungs that are only 20% functional. Have to drag that dang tank around with me when I'm out and about.
    Appears you have the "touch". Good to see that the mex's haven't run off all the good craftsman.

gringott, andial and Lt Dan like this.
  13. mayhem

Retired
    Yea... but in this economy ya sometimes have to take what ya can get. That's the way it was back in the 70's, do whatever it took to feed the family and be able to afford suds and smoke.

JayDubya and stonedywankanobe like this.
  14. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    Mayhem....question on drywall...got a place i remodeled 20170117_231421.jpg and a couple of places where we used the original drywall i have some seams cracking ...all the new stuff has no issues...we did a heavy spray and knock down on the walls...whats the correct way to fix this "bad tape job" ...couple jts on walls and ceiling

15. mayhem

Retired
    I'm gonna assume that the lower left side is where you patched it, as the crack runs horizontal then turns down. Is that area the seam? If so what type of tape did you use, paper, or mesh?

Sometimes heave knockdown will create a crack in of itself. Also did you use thinned down drywall mud or real wall spray that comes in the bag and you need to mix?

From what I can get from your pic the tape and coating either wasn't completely dry before you sprayed it, or as I mentioned above the knock is too heavy and it cracked itself when it dried. You prolly could attempt to just fill the crack and touch up the knock, as most people don't stare at their ceilings often.

If you used wall spray not drywall mud you can try wetting it down real good with a garden sprayer, and see if you can scrape the knock off, and get down to the finish. Wall spray is like the same material used with the popcorn ceiling spray, get it wet and it just falls off. If you can scrape it down and you see that the joint cracked, well you can fix that with some mesh and a light coat, then patch spray the knock with a bit of overlap.

No matter, if you use a pump spray rig or a hopper, ya can't get real heavy with the spray. I know it hides a bunch of sins, and dang-it some jobs don't pay enough to do'em right.

Personally if there isn't enough $$ involved I would try just filling the crack with some 10 or 20 minute mud using my finger to work it in. The 10 or 20 minute mud shouldn't shrink, bringing the crack back. Beware that the quick drying mud dry's a little on the off white color, so the whole dang ceiling may have to be painted afterwords.

Without being there, and knowing what you have for tools that's about all I can offer right now. Might have more when you answer the ?? I asked at the top.

Best regards, and I hope something I said helps.

PS Taz, what's going on above where the crack is. Is their a 2nd floor? Was there a water leak? More info you got the more ideas I might have.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    Lt Dan and stonedywankanobe like this.
  16. mayhem

Retired
    If you didn't do the tape job, walk away. :-) Otherwise there are only time consuming options. I did one where I used my 4x4 Dewalt sander w/shopvac attached and ground it down to the drywall and started again.

I used to tell people who call me asking me to fix someone's screw up that it cost the same as if I did the job from the start. That way I would just cut out the botched area and redo it right.

17. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician

LOL.

18. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    The wife huh? :p:D

mayhem, andial, smooth and 1 other person like this.
  19. andial

Will? That's good work, no pressure from some fancy customer, don't play banker and lay out any money for materials and help, JMHO

mayhem and stonedywankanobe like this.
  20. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    mayhem.....its in property i own....its a couple of spots where i left the original drywall when i remodled....it is a original tape jt area problem.....we demoed rehung taped sprayed n knock downed the whole property when finished just this one original area had issues....... i am thinking of fingering in some mud or using the crack caulk .....then the crack spray over it.....any thoughts? ......you wouldnt believe the drywall work in this building before the remodel varrying thickness of drywall...some jts were caulked instead of taped...batten strips over some jts...etc ...point is the only area that was sorta decent we left skim coated, sprayed n knocked down....and the jts cracked ...

stonedywankanobe and mayhem like this.
  21. mayhem

Retired
    We call that "bucket walking", Homer. I was really good at it in my 30's. Mex stilts are when they actually screw a pair of sneeks to two of the inverse buckets, and then actually walk on them, without the handles, sometimes.

Good snag though..:-)

Goldhedge and Zed like this.
  22. andial

I feckin love it.

stonedywankanobe and Lt Dan like this.
  23. mayhem

Retired
    It's yours, so do it. If it fails later well then try something else.

Seen some crazy stuff also especially in the homes built down he in the late 50 and 60's. They would only set block to the seven foot level and leave the corners open. Then form it up, cover up half the holes, put in rebar and pour the last foot solid along with the corners. Flat to 1-12 pitch roof's with hot tar and pearock or barrel tile, no shingles, too flat and they would lift in a hurricane. Those places were bunkers, problem was they all were 900 1,100sq living area with 1 and 1/2 baths. Plaster walls could vary from 1/2 to 3/4 thick. Made for nightmare remodel additions. Mating drywall to old plaster always cracked over the years. Plaster will suck all the moisture out of the mud, and that's prolly what happened to you.

Next time (if there is one) when you get ready to butt dw to a plaster wall, wet the plaster before you start taping, and use 45 minute mud for those joints, that might up your chances of not cracking. Otherwise strip it down and start over with all new drywall.

I did one ohh...20 yr's ago. Ten feet of existing wall, and ten feet new. Screwed & glued 1/4" drywall over the plaster wall, then shimmed* out the new wall and hung 1/2". That way I was working with only drywall. Cost me a few bucks more, but way better job and I didn't have to knock the walls to hide any sins.

(*) South Fla uses blocks for everything now. Wood frame is still dooable but no one knows how :-) In the instance above where I set the ass-trick we had to T-nail ferring strips to the block anyway. So, we just ripped 2x? strips from pressure treated 2x10's on the table saw to shim the new wall out to the existing wall. Trim carpenters were a little upset because they then needed to make new inside returns for the window, and door, but even they agreed the whole job came out super. Customer was aware that there might be problems when I went over the bid with him. It was my super who thought of doing it as outlined above and I agreed. Happy customers get y'all lot's of work.

stonedywankanobe and ttazzman like this.
  24. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    Yeah I found similar... where they tied them on with cord, this was just a funnier vid IMO.

mayhem likes this.
  25. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    You like anything shonky! Like silver...

Edit: Put in link to shonky definition, apparently its more Australian slang!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    andial, stonedywankanobe and JayDubya like this.
  26. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    OSHA approved, no doubt! :rotf:

andial, stonedywankanobe and mayhem like this.
  27. mayhem

Retired
    And probably why by back doesn't work, ;-(

Zed likes this.
  28. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    I got a lot of proper looking stilts as well, I guess that is the name for them now?!

mayhem likes this.
  29. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

I was doing a ceiling with my neighbor helping out. We had the drywall on a lifter almost in place and we had to cut out for the light can. I gave him the Dremel with a drywall bit... and it got away from him. Crap.

Anyway, after screwing in the drywall, I got a piece of wood or drywall bigger than the damaged part, covered it with Saran wrap, and a piece of lumber held it in place over the hole. I mixed up plaster of paris, climbed over to that spot and poured it in all over the bad part. It was not pretty on top, but the bottom came out looking fine.

stonedywankanobe and mayhem like this.
  30. mayhem

Retired
    That's what I like about this thread. It's all about "thinking" working men. Good save.
    Gotta watch dem routers, ya can only go one way safely.

31. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    There fixed it for ya! :D:p:confused:

andial and mayhem like this.
  32. andial

Zed i'm the king of comedy on this thread stop trying to take over here!

33. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    laughingmouse.gif

stonedywankanobe, Zed and andial like this.
  34. stonedywankanobe

20170109_093808.jpg

Shot of some form work for a new suspended slab and stone patio on the rear of this home here in 'the Heights' in Little Rock.

Lovely place, constructed in the early 40's, nestled upon a soaring cliff, with panoramic skyline views of the most dangerous city in America under 100k peoples.

20170109_104732.jpg

We poured 2 more footings on the backside of the pool there where a wooden deck once stood, then rotted off.

They're going back with steel post and i beams everyday 2 feet to support a concrete slab with stone on top.

20170109_135417.jpg

Some of the fine sirs making stuff happen while I took a break from dragging that hose.

smooth, Silver, Lt Dan and 1 other person like this.
  35. stonedywankanobe

20170201_143432.jpg

About 3 weeks ago a fellow drove through a local funeral home's storefront, taking out a key support column under a 22' ibeam with 8 rows of block above, which had cracked and dropped 5 inches at the unsupported end of the beam. (It stops where you see the treated 4x4 in the pic, which was taken after we lifted it.)

Our crew was task with demo of the awning, removal of the block wall above as well as the steel beam overhead.

We had the luxury of a cat 68 skytrac and the first order of business was getting the beam back up and level so we could build a temp wall under the existing ceiling joist to avoid further destruction.

20170204_115157.jpg

Big fecking mess all cleaned up.

And now a macabre pic of the embalming room with the table and hoses removed for your viewing pleasure.

20170201_144816.jpg

Just out of view and through that door, lurks a booger , I'm sure of it.

andial, smooth and Lt Dan like this.
  36. smooth

Nutnfancy but in a couple of weeks I should have a heated bathroom in the shop.

shop bathroom.jpg

mayhem, andial, Lt Dan and 1 other person like this.
  37. stonedywankanobe

Very nice Smooth, like how you keep the fridge and ice chest full of beers close to the action.
    It's the little details!

mayhem, andial, Lt Dan and 1 other person like this.
  38. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    I like how he's got his wires in conduit. :rotf:

39. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    16683946_1006687486129819_9152252485534330901_n.jpg

smooth, mayhem, andial and 1 other person like this.
  40. stonedywankanobe

20170215_092938.jpg
    ? Sideways pic of a hipped tray and some rafters going up.

20170215_155025.jpg

Should have the porch rafters on and be completely in the dry tomorrow barring a disaster like running out of materials, or weed.

Got some work making tapered columns for the porch and probably a few arch headers inside still.

Then band board and 2x2 on the wall to set up for dryvit. Hopefully we move on to a more interesting, better paying, less hard on the carcass type project Tuesday.