1. The USD and Stocks continue to power up, with Crude now catching a bid on a breakout of old highs
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Thur Morning GIM! Gold is up this am 6.7 to 1240, while Silver is up 4 to 17.99. Crude is up 68 to 5427. The USD is up 12 to 101.32.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 2/17/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1239.10-- Silver $18.03-- Oil $53.78-- USD $100.95 -- Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE 2017 $1304.51 (1), SAE $21.15 (20)

the workin man

Discussion in 'Projects, Builds, Woodworking, Metalworks' started by stonedywankanobe, Sep 15, 2016.

1. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter

Nice work Sir Framesalot.

Lt Dan, stonedywankanobe and mayhem like this.
  2. mayhem

mayhem A Different Perspective Seeker

Retired
    Yeah good to see someone still knows how to do it. The BC down here won't allow it except on rare occasions. Everything has to be engineered trusses probably cause of the hurricanes. Still living in a volcano crater isn't that cool either. Had a real close friend that lived SW of Hot Springs Village. Kirk died at 58 dang it, sure miss him. We would truck up there every year for vacation. Lived on a lake, I'd have to look it up now to remember the name. Still get emails from his wife and keeds. I'll get to see him in the hear after though.

About the title adial, it works for me. "Sir Framesalot", I think it will stick.

3. stonedywankanobe

stonedywankanobe Gold Member Gold Chaser

20170217_132257.jpg

Shot of some roof bracing action. We looked at a job last week where the carpenters had finished and I kid you not there was one ridge leg down to a wall that did not have a stiffer, and it was the sole support for the entire roof structure.
    We try to get one where we can...

20170217_145436.jpg

Got her in the dry Friday.
    On the fived off blueprints they showed the porch beam 7' off the slab with the fascia coming in below the the elevation of the main overhang, looking disconnected and fudged up.

We raised the lvl's so now when we fur them down 4" the porch beam will be be perfectly in tune with the overhang on the home giving you the illusion that 4 pot smoking hippies probably didn't frame it.

Zed, mayhem, andial and 5 others like this.
  4. smooth

smooth Gold Member Gold Chaser

I couldn't imagine doing this for a living
    the worst.jpg
    jesse is no help.jpg

Zed, mayhem, andial and 3 others like this.
  5. stonedywankanobe

Bet Dialber shits a brick when he sees that dust.

Nice lookin work though Smootherine. I'd imagine your ready to paint and be done there so you can get back to the shitter project with the refer full of beers, and away from the olde lady.

Reminds me of a project i... hang on the oldy lady is hollering at me again.

Zed, andial, smooth and 1 other person like this.
  6. andial

Smootherine? no plastic to isolate the dust?

snuck in a big word there (isolate).

7. smooth

Was in the shop working on shitter project, but ShopDawgJesse likes to run in the yard, in the rain, then play in the "Gypsum" powder, then go inside the Wife's house and do figure 8's.

Gypsum is a soft sulfate mineral composed of calcium sulfate dihydrate, with the chemical formula CaSO. 4· 2H2O. It is widely mined and is used as a fertilizer, and as the main constituent in many forms of plaster, blackboard chalk and wallboard.

mayhem, andial, Lt Dan and 1 other person like this.
  8. andial

IMG_0405.JPG IMG_0406.JPG IMG_0407.JPG Just an FYI on wall repair critics welcome.

9. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

How about adding a beveled male female edge to the hole & plug as well?

stonedywankanobe, Zed and mayhem like this.
  10. mayhem

Retired
    ttazzman, Lt Dan, smooth and 2 others like this.
  11. mayhem

Retired
    To time expensive.

12. andial

No, but I did leave out moistening the edges of the hole since old Sheetrock is dry as hell.

stonedywankanobe and Lt Dan like this.
  13. mayhem

Retired
    I know guys who swear if ya don't spritz the edges of the old stuff it will crack. I always did as you did just smear compound on the edges, then coat the wall and smooth it out. We did punch out a lot and folks wanted a electric box moved here and there. Just cut a square like you did, break the rock and peal it off the paper.

Lt Dan, stonedywankanobe and andial like this.
  14. stonedywankanobe

Finished up the house yesterday and started removal of this little mess of a sunroom in the big city this morning...

20170222_084306.jpg

Upon tearing into the ceiling we quickly discovered this handy little message on the back of some 1 eighth inches ceiling board...

20170222_092317.jpg

Shutdown.

mayhem, Lt Dan and smooth like this.
  15. andial

Sorry you had to shut down. Will that place looks creepy, does it have a bad history?

stonedywankanobe likes this.
  16. stonedywankanobe

Olde neighborhood, mostly Thurston Howell types.
    So yea, probably lots of shady goings on here.

mayhem, Lt Dan and andial like this.
  17. andial

Those wrought Iron decorative posts holding up that thing? Pull it down Will! Pull one of those fecking posts out!

18. stonedywankanobe

It has a 3in concrete slab on top of a rotted 2x8 substructure or I would Dialbro.

Big group meeting, will log on later.

Lt Dan, smooth and andial like this.
  19. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    asbestos like that is really overrated.....if you ever run into it on your own property take care of it yourself save a huge hastle.......only thing possibly harmfull is the dust in your lungs.....so wear a mask....mist it with water .....try not to cut or break it......bag it......dispose of it and your good.... same issue with most 9" square vinyl style floor tile........or you can pay hundreds of dollars a hour for a teenager working for a enviromental company to do it for you exactly that way....and if it makes you feel better you can purchase some white coveralls and tape up the cuffs LOL

glockngold, andial and birddog like this.
  20. andial

Hystckndle and stonedywankanobe like this.
  21. mayhem

Retired
    Y'all need to pull permits up there to do structural work, or you winging it with this one?

That board shouldn't be that bad, keep the pieces as big as you can. Those paper dust masks really don't cut it. Wear the Tyveck suits as you don't want to be trucking that crap home. That crap is worse than mold. Even though I was Certified I wouldn't do them. No body but Insurance Co. are willing to pay what it is worth. Do it on the sly and a neighbor finds out opens ya for a possible suit.

I know your last name isn't Silverstien where you can just dump it onto a couple million folks. They would put us red necks on the road gang for doing that.

m

stonedywankanobe and Lt Dan like this.
  22. mayhem

Retired
    Well if ya like pulling the little cart with your oxygen tank around with ya don't take it serious. The serious part is the homeowner. Five years later he comes down sick because you didn't do it right and you are poor for life. But ya need to seal off the rest of the house tight, have a good air machine sucking the air through a 24" HEPA filter then to the outside. Everything has to be vacuum with a HEPA vac afterwords. Last time I bought any of those "white coveralls" they were 6 bucks a shot and you only get to use them once, and not many folks last much longer than 2 hours in one.

Or wing it and hope no one sues ya afterword. I didn't carry a 3 mil insurance policy because I liked paying 30k a year for it.

m

23. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    Im a old guy.......we saw cut ...broke...nailed..etc that crap for years n years putting it in......did the pipe insulation for years....was in inclosed rooms with it ....guess we just got lucky.........last 20 years called the enviro company they sent out a dumb teenager he would mist it with a pump sprayer....rip it out into plastic bags...put in the std dumpster to go to dump....and i got a bill for a couple of hrs work of 500-1k......i guess i am saying what i would do if it were my house each to their own judgement.....i did retire about 8 yrs ago so that stuff mighta got worse under Obama's rule

24. stonedywankanobe

Yes sir permits have been pulled. After removal we will be framing back a 2x12 subfloor, mebe 9' walls with open cathedral, using 14" double lvl for ridge and 2x12 again for rafters.

We proceeded with demo of the sunroom up top today after the safety meeting.

Ramped up and all the way around this joker with a straight shot to the dumpster to get a handle on it.

20170222_132903.jpg

Calls have been made the asbestos is being handled per code, nothing to see here folks.

Moar demo

20170222_150458.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017 at 7:14 PM
    andial, mayhem, smooth and 2 others like this.
  25. mayhem

Retired
    Ya did good SirFramesalot, always cover your butt. I had a neighbor who did the who will know what I did repair. I told him he needed to get that mold problem fixed. After he put 30k into the place he put it up for sale. First thing the buyer wanted was a mold test and inspection, FAIL! It's still empty, he let it go to foreclosure because he didn't want to put another 59k to fix it right. So he rolled the dice and lost big time.

andial, Lt Dan and stonedywankanobe like this.
  26. smooth

IMHO, in that form the asbestos content isn't a big deal as long as it is intact. Half of the warehouses I've worked around are sided with asbestos type panels (Transite). But, any cutting, breaking drilling ETC. and you are exposing yourself and others. If you work in any old industrial fab shops that have been around for awhile you are most likely still inhaling your permissible limit of asbestos (maybe more). Kick up dust along a major Interstate and you'll likely get your limit of asbestos and lead.
    I agree with Mayhem and Tazz, but not Andial.

27. mayhem

Retired
    Well I'm 74+ and got chided all my early days about using masks, not removing moldy stuff correctly, so I did it the 'old guy's way'. Now I have 30% total lung capacity, tethered to a 50' hose all day and night, plus I about collapse walking 30 feet. I'm sure glad I listened to those old guys when I was younger. May those freekers die in hell, because my life is no paradise.

Just sharing some good advice. I don't care what others do, but I will remind them. And if you paid that much for what you claim was done, I got this 88 Blazer I'll sell ya for 100k.

28. mayhem

Retired
    Stoney, is that one of those new 'mag-lift ladders' in that first pic? It is just floating there ain't it?