1. Metals try to capitalize in market weakness with dollar weakness ie choppy
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Thur Morning! Gold is down 1.3 to 1248. Silver is flat at 1757. Crude +16 to 4820. The USD is up 17 to 9964.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 3/18/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1230.20-- UP 28.8 Silver $17.41-- UP 49 Oil $49.31-- UP 82 TICS USD $100.11 -- DOWN 100 tics Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE 2017 $1299.09 (1), SAE $20.54 (20)

There's Beauty In The Room: 15 Vintage Cook Stoves

Discussion in 'Stories and Fiction' started by searcher, Apr 26, 2015.

1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

There's Beauty In The room: 15 Vintage Cook Stoves

1. There's nothing like the feel you get when you first lay eyes on an old wood burner stove. This The Boston Beauty Supreme Found on sarahsantiquestoves.com brings for many the memories of hauling a bundle of wood into the house, and cracking open the door, and tossing it in. The one stick that blocks the door, and trying to jiggle it in so you can close 'er up and focus on the cooking at hand. The smells of good ol' fashioned country cooking, the bacon grease from yesterdays breakfast used to slick up everything in a thick iron griddle with delicious flavor. Back then it was all about flavor. Fitness came naturally from a more rugged and active lifestyle, so it wasn't something you thought about at the dinner table. Let's eat up!

Article & pics here http://www.offgridquest.com/theres-beauty-in-the-room-an-old-fashion

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    Ragnarok likes this.
  2. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

Parents had one just like this when I was growing up. We only used it when the power went out. It was the only source of heat/cooking/hot water ( by melting giant pots of snow) that we had for about a month during the blizzard of 78. It is now mothballed away in my barn ready for a quick install should it be necessary in a future blizzard.

GS_9-00406-1.jpg

The top came off and there was a stove top underneath it. Used to sleep in front of it many winter nights when the power went out as a kid.

searcher likes this.
  3. Alex Lemas

Alex Lemas Seeker Seeker

retired
    I got one of those stoves sitting in my living room. Kept me nice and toastie all winter here in NH

GOLDZILLA likes this.
  4. hoarder

hoarder Banned

Back in the days before piped natural gas and propane, cooking during the summer in the South was a miserable sweaty job for women. The extra heat in the kitchen also helped food to spoil faster. Some Southern households had a cookstove outdoors under cover so they wouldn't have to heat up and stink up the whole house.

Attached Files:

5. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

My parents house had a summer kitchen which was just a shed with a cook stove inside to be used in the summer to keep heat out of the actual house.

searcher and hoarder like this.
  6. Fatboy

Fatboy Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Used Up and Retired Out
    I have NO EXPERIENCE with this seller other than what I read written here in the link.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/998-off-grid-wood-cookstove-killer-deal-heads-up-430-deadline/

PREPPING 101: $998 OFF-GRID WOOD COOKSTOVE – KILLER DEAL HEADS UP 4/30 DEADLINE!
    by PAUL HELINSKI on APRIL 26, 2015

This is the $998 wood cookstove from woodandheat.com.
    This is the $998 wood cookstove from woodandheat.com.

http://www.woodandheat.com/
    This is one of the few articles in this series where I haven’t yet reviewed the product, but I plan to follow it up with a review in the future because I bought one. My intention in posting this today is to give the regular readers of this column a official heads up on a heavily discounted and apparently high quality product that may be a priority for you in your prepping supplies. For many years I have been looking at wood cook stoves. If you have never seen one (and I actually haven’t in person), these are not regular woodstoves. Wood cookstoves were popular in the US between the 1880s and 1930s. They look like a regular stove, with an oven and burners, but they run on wood and have no electric or gas components. Outdated technology yes and no though. There are a number of manufacturers of wood cookstoves today in the US and Canada, and they sell from about $1,700 to $7,000ish, plus freight shipping (and these badboys are heavy). In Alaska and many places in offgrid America, wood cookstoves are still popular and the market generally has a waiting period. This stove is $998 including shipping to the lower 48 until April 30th.

There is no way I can endorse buying this stove at all, because like everything else online, it is a gamble. I’m taking a leap of faith in buying one sight unseen, but it isn’t entirely without research. The company has an Ebay account selling these stoves and some other products that they produce, and there are over 400 feedbacks with 100% positive. The Ebay price is $1,295 plus $235 shipping to mcte in Florida.
    As I've explained, this is one of the few products that I am covering that I haven't actually gotten in house for review. I have ordered one, and this $998 deal expires April 30th. This stove has 6 burners, an oven, a warming box, and a water reservoir.
    As I’ve explained, this is one of the few products that I am covering that I haven’t actually gotten in house for review. I have ordered one, and this $998 deal expires April 30th. This stove has 6 burners, an oven, a warming box, and a water reservoir.

Until I found this direct sale deal from WoodandHeat.com, the cheapest cookstove I have found is from Lehmans. They are selling a stove made in Canada for $1,799 with a water reservoir pre-installed. That same stove is sold by the company direct for more, and the cheapest price I can find for it is at Badiahs Woodstoves. The other low priced cookstoves from those same suppliers are in the $2,400 range.
    This is the best picture I have found of the "Heartland Sweetheart" stove, which is about $6,000. Do you see a huge difference?
    This is the best picture I have found of the “Heartland Sweetheart” stove, which is about $6,000. Do you see a huge difference?

Compare that to stoves made for the wealthy Amish, Alaska hobby living and no budget preppers. They start at about $4,700 and fly all the way up to $7,000+. Stoves that look like our little $998 wonder here are in that range, and from what I can tell, the differences in the stoves at the higher prices are mostly about size, fit and finish, and much less about the actual use of the stove. The most expensive brand of the high end is Heartland, and their Artisan stove is $8,400. The Heartland Sweetheart is the closest looking I have found to this $998 stove, and it is…just north of $6,000 with the same features. I can only guess as to what would make a 500% increase in the quality of such a thing, but as a simple prepper on a budget, I’m willing to take a chance on the WoodandHeat.com stove.
    The only caveat to all of this, especially if you are on a tight budget, is that you might be able to score a cheap stove on Ebay that is local to you. If I was local to Fayettville, PA, there was a stove that popped last week for $50! For sure I would have bought it. As I said, I’ve been researching this for some time, and those deals are not unusual if you hit them right. Great condition stoves from the late 1800s are collectible, but none of the stoves from 1910 forward have much value at all. Most have been sold for scrap, and if metals were still at the high price they were only a few years ago, we wouldn’t even be seeing these stoves on Ebay at all. As a rule I’ve seen that anything on Ebay that is marked “local pickup only” goes for less than what would be normal value, and these wood cookstoves are almost always local pickup only. Now that Ebay has a “people who looked at this also looked at…” list (something GunsAmerica is sorely lacking still), finding them is easy. Just search on “wood cook stove” and you’ll find a few, then dozens of others will come up in that list.
    This "Bakers Choice" stove is linked in the article from Lehmans and another supplier for about the same $1800, before freight shipping costs from Ohio. It has a stainless steel top and a water tank, and it was the lowest cost option I found prior to this stove.
    This “Bakers Choice” stove is linked in the article from Lehmans and another supplier for about the same $1800, before freight shipping costs from Ohio. It has a stainless steel top and a water tank, and it was the lowest cost option I found prior to this stove.

A wood cookstove obviously isn’t for the family that is just getting started in prepping. If you don’t have a practical quantity of long lasting food put away, an ample clean way to get water year round and basic toiletries and self defense needs covered, start there, and you will find some great articles at the beginning of this series to help you. We have also covered what is called the “rocket stove.” It works great, allowing you to cook food, boil water and as you will see in a future installment of this series, even can food for later use with a pressure canner. But what the rocket stove is sorely lacking is an oven, and I have yet to find a solution to that. A rocket stove also can’t be used indoors, even though there is one manufacturer who claims that you can with theirs. A review on that will be coming soon, but it isn’t all its cracked up to be. A wood cookstove can heat a small space, less than 2,000 square feet, and it is obviously optimized for cooking, warming, pasteurizing, all with one load of fuel at one time. If you can afford a wood cook stove, I’d grab this $998 deal.

searcher likes this.
  7. hoarder

hoarder Banned

If you're wanting to do some research on any woodstove or cookstove, old or current production, this forum http://www.hearth.com/talk/ is the place to learn.

Treetop likes this.
  8. searcher

A Wood Cookstove is a Must Have!
    engineer775 Practical Preppers

Published on May 20, 2016
    A detailed look at the Pioneer Princess

The Pioneer Princess uses the efficient downdraft to burn. Our accessory draft allows you to temporarily introduce air below the grates making it easier to start on cold mornings. This stove is hand made by the Amish. This stove is listed to UL 1482. This stove is not mobile home approved or EPA approved. Cookstoves are nationally exempt from EPA regulations.

Front loading door
    Front ash door
    Thermostatic Control
    Shaker Grates
    Accessory draft for easier fire starting
    Wider firebox
    More even heat
    Helps prevent overheating
    Helps maintain firebed overnight
    Accessory Draft

https://www.practicalpreppers.com/onl...

9. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

From last month in Ecuador.

13087362_10207625247888035_4365606644576780882_n.jpg

searcher likes this.
  10. searcher

11. ToBeSelfEvident

ToBeSelfEvident Gold Member Gold Chaser

They have yoga pants in Ecuador?

12. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

No, they were imported on my wife's ass, but she is full blooded Ecuadorian. The whole house is mostly open because it is located up in the mountains about 3000' up and the weather is in the 50s and 60s day and night most of the time. There are a few windows and many screens to keep the bugs out. The food is all fresh there too. The steaks were cut up and put on some kind of round grill. Delicious with salt only, no hormones or other seasoning needed.

searcher likes this.