1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

U.S. airlines flee Castro's island hellhole

Discussion in 'Coffee Shack (Daily News/Economy)' started by Goldhedge, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    March 16, 2017
    U.S. airlines flee Castro's island hellhole
    By Monica Showalter

President Obama made a big deal about the resumption of U.S. carrier travel to Cuba. JetBlue in particular got Obama's accolades. After all, when the president of the United States sets the example for Cuba tourist travel, showing how it's all tropical music, classic cars, Cuban cigars, mojitos, and dancing like Beyoncé out on the Malecón, who could resist?

Today, JetBlue has cut back its flights "to better match demand." And in the last few days, it has been joined by two other airliners, Silver and Frontier, fleeing for their lives like Marielitos. They all said demand isn't what they expected.

This is a fancy way of saying what's really going on: Cuba is a tourist hellhole. The service stinks, the amenities are gross, the place is thick with thieves and woman-gropers, the cost is high, and the alternatives are out there. In fact, the Caribbean is loaded with pleasant, accommodating destinations well worth a tourist's dollar for a vacation. Taking a vacation at a communist military-run resort really falls more into the Gulag category.

How is this for tourist hell? Observers noticed Cuban customs officials rummaging through tourist luggage and taking what they wanted. When the tourists complained, they were thrown in jail. Some tourist operation they've got there. In fact, the place is a security risk because no professional or U.S. or U.S.-standard officials are involved. Mangy street dogs are what pass for security dogs in Havana. You can expect cockroaches in your breakfast cereal and tourist bulletin boards such as this one say bring your own toilet paper.

Cuba's officials aren't even interested in making their foreign investors happy. American businesses have but one purpose, according to reports: to serve through their presence in Havana as bait to attract other sucker businesses, the better to rob them all.

Like in this case:

[A] Canadian businessman who had invested on the island for almost two decades, until he was thrown in jail on corruption charges. The Canadian, Sarkis Yacoubian, spent more than two years in jail before being found guilty and expelled. His case is not unique.

"We know one thing for sure," Zack said. "He didn't get his business back. Raúl Castro's son-in-law did."

Doing business in Cuba is so dodgy and money-losing that just doing it now involves reputational risk, according to Control Risks consultancy.

No wonder airlines don't want to be there – the U-turn they are making is rather visible. And they are not alone. According to the FT:

... about 60 per cent of the businesses established here by foreigners since the fall of communism in eastern Europe have closed, according to government statistics. Some of them – analysts and diplomats say – were forced out by the Cuban government.

What a dump. Best thing out there is to just say no to the hellhole so touted by President Obama.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/03/airlines_flee_castros_island_hellhole.html

Son of Gloin likes this.
  2. mayhem

mayhem Другая перспектива Silver Miner Site Supporter

Retired
    Guy sounds bitter, no? Until the last Castro goes, and the banker mob moves back in it will be a hell hole. Cuba was run by the mob in the 50's. See Eye Aee still has overflight rights though I'll bet.

3. tom baxter

tom baxter back from 2004

Retired now
    Well after a generation under communism I doubt the locals are too present.

4. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Lot of scammers in the Caribbean everywhere and also Florida. It takes a certain type of personality to premeditate robbing somebody in a business transaction. I think those people should be eligible for capital punishment as if they used an actual firearm.

5. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Architect
    I've lived my like never setting foot in Cuba. I think I can keep that streak up the rest of the way and not feel like I missed out on something

6. latemetal

latemetal Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

Over booked airlines learning what the demand really is, Cuba didn't need 40 or 50 flights a day and 4 or 5 airlines competing. How many flights into the Dominican Republic or Haiti?

7. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Architect
    It was all a show pushed forth by Oblowme. Everything to see and hear has been manipulated and massaged for drone consumption

8. mayhem

mayhem Другая перспектива Silver Miner Site Supporter

Retired
    I've been there a couple of times, oh.... 15 years ago. The touristy part that serves a lot of Canadians and Europeans wasn't that bad if you didn't have your head up your butt like most of the SJW's. If you knew someone out in the countryside and spoke Cuban Spanish they say you could have a lot of fun. If recall correctly Cigarlover has been there a bit and could speak to the issues much better than I can.

Got to hand it to them for keeping all those 1950's cars running though.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  9. skychief

skychief enthusiastic stacker Silver Miner

Musician
    Things are looking up for the Cuban people. As the Castros die off, things looking better.

I just want to buy a decent Habano cigar for under $6. Sue me, dammit.

10. latemetal

Tourists are still banned under the regulations otherwise tens of thousands of Americans would be visiting every day, as to Cuban cigars, I found them over rated back when I smoked, but forbidden fruit is forbidden fruit and always extra tasty.

11. latemetal

Speaking of dying off, Eisenhower. JFK, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Reagan have gone to hell BEFORE Fidel did and Bush 1 and Carter aren't that healthy...

12. skychief

skychief enthusiastic stacker Silver Miner

Musician
    I feel awful. I thought George Bush (41) had passed. Someone told me he jumped out of a plane and was not wearing a parachute.