1. Have a great weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Metals finish week on a up note.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

United Airlines Forces Passenger Off Plane Due Overbooking

Discussion in 'Coffee Shack (Daily News/Economy)' started by OverOver, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Ebie

Ebie Midas Member Midas Member

Worse.
    If he had left the plane quietly, but, after Chicago Police had arrived, he would have been added to the "list" and may be on the list anyway...

2. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

Good point about the list if he had only gotten off after the fuzz showed up.
    ...but I doubt he'll be added to it at this point. Virtually everyone thinks he was done wrong by them. Even the airline agrees....now that they understand that their stupid policies are gonna cost them millions.

3. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

United Airlines refunds EVERY passenger who was on board the overbooked flight when the doctor was dragged off
    • Passengers who were aboard United Airlines Flight 3411 on Sunday will 'receive compensation for the cost of their tickets'
    • Reimbursement is latest move from airline that's in midst of public relations disaster since video went viral showing Dr. David Dao being dragged from plane
    • On Wednesday it was announced that two more airport police officers involved in the incident have been placed on leave
    • The announcement from the city's Aviation Department comes two days after another officer involved in the Sunday night confrontation was put on leave
    • Attorneys representing Dao and one of his family members are set to talk publicly about the incident on Thursday

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4406840/Passengers-United-Airlines-flight-Sunday-refunds.html#ixzz4e50WqTP2
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

4. searcher

When you really think about it the cops should never have been called, but since they were they should have told the airline that there was nothing they could do since it wasn't a police matter. The guy wasn't bothering anyone nor was he causing any problems. He simply didn't want to give up something he had paid for. They should have told the airline it was up to them to make it worthwhile for the passenger to give up his seat. Apparently no one thought about the old adage "money talks - bullshit walks."

Wouldn't be one bit surprised if several peeps would have been more than willing to give up there seats had United offered them a guaranteed seat on a flight the foll0wing day, good overnight hotel accommodations, free meals, United bucks (for future use) and some real cashola.

Now the passenger is gonna sue the shit outta everyone involved. Really stupid how it was handled.

5. Ebie

The plane was private property.
    He was technically trespassing.
    If a pilot says, I don't want him on the plane, what are the police supposed to do?
    (I don't agree with what was done- of course.)

Joe King likes this.
  6. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Everyone has a price. Good points made about cash / prepaid cards instead of tickets etc......

searcher likes this.
  7. Ensoniq

Ensoniq Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Free Marketeer
    He led the company to earnings of 2.3 billion in 2016 (over 10% pretax). He might be a heartless dick but he was doing his job for the shareholders.

Just goes to show its all about what have you done for me lately. All he had to do was pretend he had a heart and he wouldn't be at risk of losing that awesome income

Joe King and searcher like this.
  8. searcher

I might be wrong here but I think Mr Dao is gonna get some big bucks outta this.........without ever going to court. And I think that at least one cop is going to be fired. The company was dead wrong with what happened. Totally rests upon them for everything that happened.

As for the cops.................they acted as goons for the company. Mr Dao had done nothing to warrant the cops going anywhere near him, let alone going full thug retard and dragging a man who had done nothing wrong off of an airplane that he had paid to be on.

Sit back and think about this.

What happened here was dead wrong.

9. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Silver Miner Site Supporter

I Know You’re Mad at United but…
    (Thoughts from a Pilot's Wife About Flight 3411)

On April 9th, a very unfortunate incident played out on United Flight 3411, the video of which has since gone viral causing a mass social media uprising with an ‘off-with-their-heads’ mentality. I mean, across the board. Fire ’em all and let the gods sort it out later.

Look, I get it. When I first saw the video I was appalled too. To say that it was inflammatory would be putting it mildly. But it was also a situation that was escalated far beyond the boundaries of necessity.

If a federal law enforcement officer asks me to exit a plane, no matter how royally pissed off I am, I’m going to do it and then seek other means of legal reimbursement. True story.

Knowing what I know about airport security, I’m certainly not going to run back into a secured, federally restricted area at an airport flailing my arms and screaming like a banshee…because, you know, that just happens to be breaking a major federal Homeland Security law.

But that’s just me. Obviously.

Because if you choose to take advantage of the services the airport provides, you play by their rules.

I know you’re all out there screaming that the ‘rules’ are unfair, but I am a pilot wife. I remember 9/11. Do you? I want my husband, the father of my children, to come home. I want you to get home. That law exists to protect my husband. And your wife. And your grandmother. And your child. And you. I, for one, am glad for the law.

Things to consider:
    1. “You can’t just kick a paying customer off the plane!” Psssst! It’s in the fine print. They can, indeed, do just that.
    2. “Kicking a paying customer off an airplane!? I’m taking my business to Southwest!” Ummmm, okay. But just be sure you understand that every major airline has a similar policy for involuntary bumping
    3. “So what’s this ‘must ride’ nonsense anyway? They shouldn’t bump a paying customer for a free employee ride!” I’m afraid you’re going to have to take this up with the federal government
    4. “It’s the airline’s fault for not planning better!” You obviously have no clue about the complexities of aviation travel and should do some research.
    5. They shouldn’t have picked the minority Chinese doctor! It’s racist.” That’s just silly. It wasn’t an ‘Asian thing.’ Stop, people. Just stop.
    6. “United should go under for assaulting that passenger! Fire the entire crew!” Read the facts. United never touched the passenger.
    7. “You piece of shit!” I get that the passengers were upset, angry, maybe even confused. I get that you are too. After all, media is tossing you out chunks of bloody meat like you’re a pack of starving wolves.
    I think there were bad decisions made on both sides. However, I am saying there are always two sides to every story. Make sure you consider them both.

https://thepilotwifelife.wordpress....thoughts-from-a-pilot-wife-about-flight-3411/

BF

D-FENZ and Ebie like this.
  10. searcher

11. Ebie

Yes.
    The airline may have been wrong--but the venue to complain about it is not physically resisting uniformed police officers. Do not try this in any other country.
    If it was not on video the passenger would be in trouble...

D-FENZ likes this.
  12. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

There is the ultimate point !!
    Lack of planning on their part does not constitute a beating on the customers part !!!

United had ample opportunities to request a buy out of a passengers seat, prior to actually getting to their seat.
    1. At check-in
    2. At security
    3. At boarding

All the hullabaloo is because United was derelict in their duties to properly plan ahead (the 7 "P's").
    United had to know about their seating issues way ahead of this incident. They had to contact their flight crew, instruct them as to their flight time & number, giving them ample time to arrive for their flight.
    WTF were they thinking to wait for the last minute to forcibly eject a paying customer ???

Interestingly the good doctor is 69 years old, so, is this action also elder abuse ?
    Just think what kind of hell would have been raised if he was a different minority !

edit:
    The 7 P's - Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Usury, mtnman, Ensoniq and 3 others like this.
  13. Ebie

"But once you allow check in and issue a ticket and your ass is in a seat - you should be good"
    The plane is private property. Being in a seat on private property does not change the ownership.
    If the public does not like this, they are free to fly another airline that does not have this rule.

D-FENZ likes this.
  14. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

Bullshit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That seat was bought & paid for.
    He had the total right to occupancy, unless he was deemed a safety risk to the flight.

Usury, Someone_else, Joe King and 2 others like this.
  15. searcher

16. Joe King

That is what happened. The flight wasn't "overbooked" until UA's employees showed up after everyone else was already on the plane. At that point, it seems the employees were given precedence over paying passengers. While I readily admit that I don't know UA's exact policy on is on employee travel in such cases, everything I can find seems to imply that off duty employees fly standby. If so, they should have been the ones to get bumped because they are considered non-revenue passengers, they were the last to show up and there were no available seats.

I've tried looking a little bit, but can't find anything specific about employees traveling to get to where they need to be for work the next day, but it seems like someone decided that it was more important to get the employees to Louisville than the paying customers.

Best I've found so far, but it's only a general guideline.
    Do Airline Employees and their Families Always Fly Free?

IMHO, they should make their employees plan ahead a bit better and not show up late for the flight assuming they'll be able to get on. If they miss a days work because of their own poor planning, dock 'em a days pay and charge them for the overtime the airline had to pay someone else to fill in for them.
    ...and give 'em a black mark on their employee record.

17. searcher

18. searcher

Like I said earlier.............

The cops were acting as goons to enforce something that a business wanted done. They intervened in what was a business (civil) matter. In essence they enabled United to remove a passenger who had already paid for a seat and was sitting in that seat without properly compensating that passenger and against that passengers will.

This wasn't a police matter. It was a business matter. The cops shouldn't have been there.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  19. Joe King

Now we're getting somewhere.
    ...but so far I can't find any gov regulation requiring airlines to bump passengers in favor of off duty flight crew personnel. Everything else refers to being denied boarding at the gate, but he was not denied boarding at the gate.

If there is such a regulation, it ought to one of the ones Trump says he's gonna erase from the books.
    F' the employees. They need to plan their travel a bit better.

20. Crockett

Crockett Seeker

In the article it says that "After passengers were already seated on the full flight, United announced that four people needed to get off to make room for employees of a partner airline".

So, this was not done for Untied Airline employees but for 4 people in their 39 airline partner network https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/marketing/custcomm/promotions/Pages/AirlinePartners.aspx

Really? they felt they needed to create this PR disaster for another airline.

searcher and Joe King like this.
  21. searcher

Ensoniq likes this.
  22. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    Dave Carrol speaks to this recent news

Aurumag and Joe King like this.
  23. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    Crisis communications gone wrong – It’s too late to say “I’m sorry”, United
    April 12, 2017

Back in kindergarten, if you knocked someone over in the playground and they fell and got a bruise and you got caught doing it – guess what happened.

You got in big trouble. You fessed up. You apologized quickly to get it over with.

That person may or may not have deserved that shove for taking your spot on the bench. But you learned to never do it again (or at least with witnesses). And you learned to appease the many adults who told you to do the right thing.

Fast forward and intensify to the never-ending PR disaster that seems to be United Airlines.

First we have United Breaks Guitars, where the airline loses an epic PR war against a guy with a broken guitar from Halifax, Nova Scotia. Dave Carroll took on the big corporation and won, by creatively pointing out United’s complete and utter inability to apply any form of common sense to customer service when they broke his guitar. He took to YouTube with a series of homegrown music videos, the main one now achieving over 17 million (yes, you heard me) views. He continues to be a bane of their existence, and for good reason.

Then just last month, young girls on United flight passes were barred from boarding a plane because they were wearing leggings. Seriously, leggings. Half of the female population now considers leggings more of a closet staple than stirrup pants in the 80s (and that’s a good thing). The public erupted yet United chose to defiantly cite its policies and defend its rationale in the most tone-deaf way possible.

And now we have a man on a flight, who had taken the seat he had paid for and didn’t want to give it up because United overbooked and needed to transport crew. He was violently hauled off of that plane by goons, in a manner not fit for the security guard titles they hold, while fellow passengers recorded every awful moment to share with the world.

The communications strategy from United? Stand by our men (and women), indicate this re-accomodation was unfortunate and resolve to investigate the situation thoroughly.

Really?

What they did wrong

Some have said that United needs to have more compassion in its culture. I agree with that from a customer service standpoint, although perhaps being human could also be argued.

Their PR challenges are different though because they relate directly to policy and the refusal to acknowledge that change is required.

United doesn’t seem to recognize its audience or learn in any way from its mistakes – or if it does, way too late to have any impact.

It doesn’t commit to hold anyone accountable, and it doesn’t manage to achieve any level of trust that its efforts to change will actually produce a result.

It took three messages and the same amount of days for the CEO to finally come out and say this was wrong.

By that time, shares had taken a hit of nearly 4% and #NewUnitedAirlinesMottos was leading Twitter in the States, with avid tweeters suggesting slogans such as “not enough seating, prepare for a beating”, “fly the friendly skies, leave with bloody eyes” and “go cruisin’ for a bruisin’.”

According to CNN, United was also the top trending topic Tuesday on Weibo, China’s version of Twitter, attracting more than 100 million views – and Vietnam, the victim’s home, was up in arms asking for justice.

Those are two markets you don’t want to alienate.

But in that first, critical communication not once did CEO Oscar Munoz say this was a sad day for United. Not once did he say something went desperately wrong – from the cause to the horrible, violent result.

Not once did he say that there clearly was an issue with over-selling or crew stand-by seating and that United would be leading the way with fellow airlines to make a very awful wrong, right.

What did he say? That they stand by their employees and their policies – which ultimately is translated into “someone else botched it up.”

The golden hours of crisis

We’re thankfully long past the days of Communications & Public Relations fighting to have a place in the C-suite of corporations, defending the value of the role for the bottom line.

But crisis communications is an entirely different beast of burden.

The hours immediately after an event are the most critical. You have a short amount of time to assess a situation, come up with a plan and get out there with a response (unless you choose to hide, in which case, good luck).

In the world of 24/7 media, social and otherwise, you’re in the global court of public opinion, and it is a nasty place that can at best alienate some of your customer base – or at worst, cut your profits off at the knees.

United is learning the hard way. After 24 hours, the share value was down over $250M. For context, it took a hit of around $180M during United Breaks Guitars.

In this case, the golden hours started counting down when that passenger was violently hauled off an aircraft and fellow flyers starting uploading the video. Although I do think there is an argument to be made that the issue started when they allowed all passengers to be checked in.

Now here comes the problem. Corporate lawyers, especially those specializing in liability (sorry guys), will eat every morsel of those golden hours if given the opportunity. The concerns will be about protecting the brand, wordsmithing to reduce legal damages and not assuming responsibility.

Unfortunately, in a case like this, the leader needs to assume responsibility for what happened and have the guts and common sense to make change where it’s required.

That’s not an easy conversation to have as a communicator – or an easy strategy to convince someone to follow. But it’s the only adult way to face your reality and stop the bleed.

You’re essentially putting a CEO or senior leader out to face the wolves and wrath in a case like this, but it is manageable if you know what you’re doing. That’s why it often makes a lot of sense to bring in a crisis specialist who can be an objective, unemotional third party setting that strategy and coaching through the tough days.

United needs more than a crisis strategy at this stage

There is one person who should still say “sorry” – and that is whoever advised this PR approach in the first place.

The problem is, it’s not the first time for United and unless its leadership changes significantly – in other words at the top, starting with the CEO – it won’t be the last.

This despite the fact that just last month, United Airlines CEO Oscar Munoz was named U.S. Communicator of the Year by the magazine PRWeek (no, I don’t subscribe).

Late Tuesday, the CEO clued in to the fact that he needed to say something drastically different. But it was already too late.

United Airlines needs wholesale change from within that is eventually reflected in its communications, because it will never be achieved by a strategy or by hiring America’s best speechwriter.

Unfortunately for United, it’s way too late to say I’m sorry.

Is your organization prepared for a crisis – and who to call on in those critical hours? Do you want to have a conversation about that plan or talk about an upcoming issue facing your organization? Contact us at Flagship Solutions today.

Disclaimer: Although I certainly can take no responsibility for the unprecedented response to Dave Carroll’s social media success, I did assist with his media relations so understand the story well, and unabashedly know the song lyrics by heart…

Alyson Queen
    Director, Communications
    Alyson is Flagship’s Director of Communications and has been advising on media relations, public affairs and strategic communications for nearly fifteen years in both the public and private sector, including as a Director of Communications on Parliament Hill to senior ministers. She also takes pen in hand as a writer, contributing articles for community and industry publications.

http://flagshipsolutions.ca/1325-2/

Aurumag, Ensoniq and Joe King like this.
  24. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford Midas Member Midas Member

wastewater
    Jk.... To make matters worse on the employee travel..it is only a 5.5 hr car ride from Chicago to Louisville. UA had options

searcher and Ensoniq like this.
  25. Joe King

I know, and already posted that fact in post #12
    ...but thanks for pointing it out again, as it is one of the logical responses that would have prevented the whole fiasco.
    It's gonna end up costing millions, but coulda only cost 'em $50 for a rental. That's a Homer Simpson "Doh!" kinda moment if there ever was one. lol

Problem is, the airlines people have gotten to the point they think they are Gods on the plane. I can understand dealing that way with true threats, but they try to treat any minor thing as though it's a terrorist event.

Here's more info that suggests UA is, at the least, in breech of their frequent flyers contract.

United Broke Its Contract With Frequent Flyers
    Most of the coverage of the United Airlines bumping debacle assumes something like, “United Airlines had a right to remove that flier. But should it have?” But a close reading of the fine print of the contract included in every ticket purchased from United Continental Holdings Inc. strongly suggests that United in fact breached its contract with passenger David Dao.

The contract allows the airline to deny boarding involuntarily in case of overbooking. But that’s not what happened; the airplane wasn’t oversold. And Dao wasn’t denied boarding. As far as we know, he was removed from a seat he had already taken after being assigned to it. The contract’s specific provisions for removing travelers or refusing to transport them don’t include the airline’s desire to free up seats, whether for its own employees, as in this case, or for other passengers.

The coverage of the United incident seemed to suggest that the custom as I knew it was different from the written contract. That sent me to the actual contract of carriage, as it’s called.

And sure enough, the custom does seem to be reflected in the terms of the contract.

Rule 25(A)(2) of the contract applies to “oversold flights.” It says that “no one may be denied boarding against his/her will” until the airline asks for volunteers. Then, “if there are not enough volunteers, other Passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily in accordance with United Airlines’ boarding priority.”

But all this is about “oversold flights,” which are defined in the contract as “a flight where there are more passengers holding valid confirmed tickets that check-in for the flight within the prescribed check-in time than there are available seats.” That’s a grammatically poor definition, but it’s pretty clear that it doesn’t apply to a situation where the flight isn’t oversold, but the airline wants to add its own employees.

What’s more, this entire section of the contract is about denial of boarding -- which is legally different from “removal,” which is discussed in an entirely different section of the contract.

Rule 21 of the contract covers “refusal of transport” and includes involuntary removal of a passenger from a plane. It includes a wide variety of misdeeds, from the serious (deadly weapons) to the trivial (barefoot).

But nowhere does this section authorize removal or refusal to transport for no reason other than that the airline needs the seat.

26. Ensoniq

Ensoniq Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Free Marketeer
    image.png

TAEZZAR, searcher and Joe King like this.
  27. mtnman

mtnman Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Retired Shipyard Machinist
    Ebie, the plane is not private property in the way you see it. It is a commercial operation and open to the public. The man had a ticket and was in his seat. There are other ways to get people to vacate and the airline tried paying $800 to people that would give up their seat. Once that was done they had no rights in forcing people out. In hindsight the airline now sees that they should have offered more...
    The man will sue, he will win and it will cost the airline about 200 million.

Usury, TAEZZAR, searcher and 2 others like this.
  28. Ebie

Interesting.
    I suspect that if this was not video recorded, this passenger would be in big trouble.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    TAEZZAR likes this.
  29. Ebie

30. Joe King

This just shows the good side of virtually everyone having a video camera at their fingers tips 24/7

Everyone having a cell phone cam allows everyone else a better chance to see the truly f'ed up shit in the World that the average has typically been oblivious to. It also puts it in the face of those that have otherwise gone out of their way to not see it.
    ...and one good way to fix something, is for lots of people to see the problem for what it is. Raw and unedited. Presented in a way that no rational person could possibly defend in good conscious. Today, that is possible. In years past, not so much.

31. searcher

Angry United Airlines pilots union issue statement denying ALL responsibility for forcible removal of doctor last week and say Chicago cops are to blame
    • The United Master Executive Council released a statement on Thursday regarding Dr. David Dao's violent removable from Flight 3411 on Sunday
    • The United Master Executive Council represents the airline's 12,500 pilots
    • The United pilots' union wrote that the Chicago Department of Aviation's 'grossly inappropriate response' was to blame for the events that transpired
    • The statement also pointed out that the plane from which Dr. Dao was ejected was one of which that was separately owned and operated by Republic Airlines

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4411096/United-pilots-union-blames-Chicago-cops-Dao-s-removal.html#ixzz4eDYAWPGB
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

32. TAEZZAR

You may be correct, but hopefully, the extent of his injuries & eye witnesses should be enough to prove an overreaction of extreme proportions.

NO, no, no, who CALLED the cops ?? The cops just did what cops do today, Chicago cops for sure,
    beat people to a pulp !!

searcher likes this.
  33. searcher

TAEZZAR likes this.
  34. searcher

TAEZZAR likes this.
  35. searcher

TAEZZAR likes this.
  36. Ebie

"Confusing & Discouraging Answers Come From Hearing On United Airlines, Chicago Aviation Dept"
    It brings up another confusing issue.
    Can the police physically "assault" a citizen who is not under arrest (or being arrested)?
    Was he breaking any laws by staying in his seat?
    Trespassing?

TAEZZAR and searcher like this.
  37. spinalcracker

spinalcracker On a mail train. Seeker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY — Unified Airlines attempted an apology for what seems to be just another example of the airlines trying to correct an oversold flight as a passenger was forcibly removed from his seat and strapped to the roof of the plane for the duration of the flight.
    “We reserve the right to strap any of our passengers to the wings, underbelly, or roof of the plane under any given circumstance.
    Nevertheless, we are sorry,” said Unified Airlines Vice President Mike Gottard, adding that the passenger was strapped on safely and securely.

“We reserve the right to strap any of our passengers to the wings, underbelly, or roof of the plane under any circumstance. Nevertheless, we are sorry,”

Unified Airlines is no stranger to controversy. Just last year they came under fire for various wrong doings such as: randomly taking away seat belts,removing passengers mid-flight, andforcing passengers to use mandatory catheters in light of bathrooms.
    “While we are not perfect, we strive to be. That is why we are issuing a $50 voucher to the passenger effected,” said Gottard proudly.
    While the airline is not expected to strap anyone other passengers to a plane’s exterior anytime soon, it’s certainly a possibility.
    image.jpg

mtnman, TAEZZAR and searcher like this.
  38. searcher

No.
    No.
    No.

In this particular case the cops (really untrained security guards) were aiding and abetting United screw over someone who had paid for a seat on an airplane so they could take their own employees on a plane ride. They also screwed over every person on the plane.

Usury, spinalcracker and TAEZZAR like this.
  39. TAEZZAR

From your link:
    If the aviation department's police force disbands it would bring to an end a decidedly Chicago story. The police force was started decades ago when the long-running Mayor Richard J. Daley allowed the chief of his bodyguard detail to retire and start an airport security force manned by people who, according to Zalewski, knew the right people at City Hall.

This tells a "tale" (Chicago style) !!!

Usury and searcher like this.
  40. Aurumag

Aurumag Dimly lit. Highly reflective Midas Member Site Supporter

Indentured Wage Slave
    Same old story. Somebody's buddy got the sweetheart contract. Somebody else got screwed.

searcher and TAEZZAR like this.