1. Stocks flat after recent runs. Metals flat to up.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Thur Am. Gold is up slightly, +.5 to 1264, while Silver is up 2 to 1739. Crude is down 44 to 4918. The USD is down 5 to 9887.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 4/22/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1289.10-- UP 0.60 Silver $17.85-- down 66 Oil $49.62-- down 3.80 USD $99.88 -- down 58

US Mint Gold Coin Pricing

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by Starter, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Starter

Starter Silver Member Silver Miner

A price change at the Mint has not happened this week, but a downward price change will most likely happen next Wednesday.

2. Starter

SongSungAU likes this.
  3. Starter

The Mint has indeed lowered the prices for gold coins today, with prices corresponding to the 1250 to 1300 price bracket.

As you might know, however, we are near the lower end of the bracket, at 1255, so if another drop happens, it is possible that prices at the Mint may be lowered even more.

Needless to say, during the last 2 to 3 weeks gold suffered a big price hit--perhaps one of the worst of the year.

4. Starter

Well, we are not at 1300 yet, but pretty close.

Tomorrow is Wednesday, so there is almost no chance for a price increase at the Mint tomorrow, but if gold rises above 1300 in the next few days, a price increase is likely to happen one week from tomorrow.

5. Fjpod

Fjpod Silver Member Silver Miner

So the Centennial Walker will probably get an increase before it is released.

What purchases would you recommend this week?

6. Starter

I am still going with the "100th Anniversary of the National Park Service 2016 $5 Gold Uncirculated Coin" (item 16CB). The current mintage of this coin is 3246 (a very low number for this series), and sales did not climb significantly from the price drop (unlike year 2012, when weekly sales climbed into the hundreds, at this time of the year). I believe this coin is a good buy, even for those not collecting the series. I plan to buy 3 more of them this weekend, bringing my count of the coin to 6.

As for the Centennial Walker, I will probably still buy those, but only for the purpose of selling them to a dealer immediately afterwards.

7. savvydon

savvydon Gold Member Gold Chaser

Consider waiting till after the election. The price is locked in until wednesday. If we see a big run up in price of gold you can still pull the trigger before the mint changes price. If the price of gold dips then you have a bit of wiggle room to watch further in case there is more downside before the year is out. Just a thought...

8. Starter

That's a good idea, and if I had been more cautious in my first purchase, I could have saved $12 per coin. As I recall, that purchase was made on 9/26, when spot gold was at $1337.50, or $12.50 above the middle price of the Mint price bracket at that time. It turns out that the price cushion of $12.50 was not enough to protect the price of that purchase from the price fall that happened in the following weeks.

Today, spot gold is at $1304, which gives us a price cushion of $29 above $1275, the middle price of the current Mint price bracket. So I feel a lot better about today's Mint prices than I did on the day of my first purchase.

For me, it is a choice between having the purchase done during the weekend, when I will have more free time available, or Tuesday night, when the uncertainty of spot gold will be lower due to knowing at least some of the election results.

I'll think about it...

savvydon likes this.
  9. Starter

Looks like gold is taking some headwind from the election news, and there may be more coming after the election.

We can keep in mind, however, that ordering from the Mint should be motivated by collector value more than bullion value, and the price watching is more defensive than offensive in purpose.

There is still a good chance that today's price drop will not lower spot gold enough to move to a lower Mint price bracket.

10. Starter

Depending on the average price of spot gold in the past week, there is a possibility for a price increase at the Mint today.

However, as spot gold spent some time below 1300, the price increase is not very likely to happen this week.

In order for this to happen, spot gold would need to reclaim the 1300 marker, which it did last night, but dropped below it again today.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  11. Starter

This week's gold price was quite a head fake, dropping from 1325 to 1225 in less than a week!

Now we are looking at the possibility of the Mint moving to a lower price bracket soon...

12. Starter

Against all odds, prices at the Mint have moved down to the 1200 to 1250 price bracket today.

13. stAGgering

stAGgering Silver Miner Seeker

Just means, push down the "money", cuz markets are close to "adjustment".
    Shiny must not show stability, just collateral infection.

14. Starter

Two months ago, I did not think I would be saying this, but we may actually be looking forward to a price drop to the 1150
    At this point, I am not even hoping for another price drop at the Mint, as it would imply that spot gold reaches a dangerously low level, endangering the future trend of gold prices.

Let's hope for a rebound soon...

15. savvydon

savvydon Gold Member Gold Chaser

I used to feel this way, but have developed some mental callouses from getting kicked around by the PM market for five straight years. This is a long term play for me. Let the trend of break. I'll buy the crap out of PMs. If someone wants to put it on sale that's alright with me.

stAGgering likes this.
  16. stAGgering

stAGgering Silver Miner Seeker

I am holding my historically repetitive theory position.
    Everything will be devalued, by inflation.
    Metals will keep pace with inflation, aside from spike or two.
    Legality of metal usage will be challenged, there was this before wasn't there...?
    Going in poor with metal and coming out the other side poor without, but healthy.
    Want richness from holdings, jump the USS Titanic, it is going down.
    Of course, I am ready for awakening of masses and peaceful revolution towards self sustainment, not endless self indulgence.
    Whoops, pardon last line, I had just taken a hit off of my bathsalt, meth, oxy, pipeneedlebonginhaler thingy.
    History will prevail, sadly enough.
    Just drive around country side, or suburbia. The decay is becoming horrific.

gringott likes this.
  17. Starter

The chopped portion of my first statement was an artifact of the forum saving unfinished replies for later.

Luckily, the incomplete statement still made sense.

Unluckily, however, the price drop to the 1150 to 1200 bracket at the Mint is one step closer to reality. It probably won't happen today, but very likely one week from today.

18. Starter

Unless spot gold rises past 1200 tomorrow, we are most likely to see a price drop at the Mint to the 1150 to 1200 bracket tomorrow afternoon.

19. Starter

Prices of gold coins at the Mint have now been lowered to the 1150 to 1200 price bracket.

Happy Holidays!

20. Starter

The Mint is offering free Budget Shipping through 12/11 on orders of $100 or more, which may outweigh considerations of further price drops from the Mint.

21. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    Got the Centennial Standing Liberty gold coin and the Reagan set because it had the special silver eagle.
    Nice packaging on the gold & free shipping.

Starter likes this.
  22. Starter

The Reagan set looks like a juicy deal...and the silver eagle is the 30th anniversary version.

gringott likes this.
  23. Fjpod

Fjpod Silver Member Silver Miner

Appealing, but I think gold will drop more. Then again, I thought Hillary was going to win.

gringott likes this.
  24. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    Couldn't wait for the price to drop more, Christmas coming up. I am usually late but not this time.

I really like the Reagan set. Well packaged.

25. Starter

Look out for a price drop next Wednesday at the Mint.

26. Starter

Prices of gold coins at the Mint have now moved down to the 1100 to 1150 price bracket.

27. Starter

In the last week, gold was starting to look good enough for a move up into the next bracket by Wednesday, but looking at this morning's prices, we are now more likely to stay in the current bracket.

28. Starter

With today's price rebound for gold, we may see a price adjustment upward tomorrow by the Mint.

29. Starter

A price increase for gold coins at the Mint to the 1150 to 1200 bracket has happened today.

30. Starter

One more week of gold prices above 1200 will be good reason to expect another price increase for gold coins at the Mint.

31. Starter

The Mint price bracket moved up to the 1200 to 1250 range yesterday.

32. Starter

Next week's prices are hard to guess.

Right after the Mint raised their prices to the 1200 to 1250 bracket last week, gold dropped below 1200 the next day. But if gold remains above 1200 tomorrow, there will be no price drop at the Mint.

33. Daryl Johnson

Daryl Johnson New Member

I've been waiting for a few years for the Mint to release the new Palladium coin. The design looks great, but if the price is 20% over spot, it will be hard to justify buying the US Palladium coin when the Maple Leaf Palladium coin is going for less than $50 over spot.
    The Mercury design with the Architect's Gold Medal reverse is going to be a beautiful mix, but I guess I'll have to wait until enough of them reach the market to balance it into a secondary retail-priced coin.
    I really think I'll just wait, because I'm not fond of the Queen's face on my coins. By passing on the Maple leaf, I wonder if I'll be missing out on a jump in the Palladium price when an entire mew market for Palladium opens up with the release of what I think will be a really popular coin.

34. Starter

A 20% premium over spot is typical for precious metal coins from the Mint.

Finding the fair market premium will largely depend on the mintage.

Considering that palladium is not a widely traded metal, the mintage has a chance of ending low.

35. Daryl Johnson

Daryl Johnson New Member

Yes, and if it's low, like below 10,000 low, it could be a great chance to pick up a real rarity, and with the beautiful Mercury strike, it should have its fans even if there is a pretty high premium. The Gold dimes with Mercury were flaming hot, but it was so affordable for a beautiful gold coin, it was destined to be a sellout. Palladium ounces, on the other hand, will certainluy sell, but probably in low ejnough numbers to make it a hot rarity. I'll have to see what the mint has for a cut-off number.

36. Starter

The really hot items from the Mint sometimes sell out within a matter of a few minutes, so you may need to make your decision before the release.

Don't be surprised if this entire forum jumps on the bandwagon on the morning of the release to buy this coin!

37. Starter

If gold continues to have a strong performance during today and tomorrow, the Mint may raise their prices to the 1250 to 1300 bracket.

As of now, a proof gold eagle costs $1,560.00 at the Mint.

38. Starter

After all the price action in gold over the last few weeks, a proof gold eagle still costs $1,560 at the Mint.

39. Starter

A proof gold eagle just became more expensive at the Mint today, at $1,610, due to gold moving into the $1250 to $1300 bracket.

40. Starter

I just noticed that I missed the price drop on 4/5 and the price hike on 4/12, after reading this article:

http://www.coinnews.net/2017/04/11/us-mint-gold-coin-prices-may-increase-wed-april-12/

Anyway, the price of a proof gold eagle remains the same as it was 2 weeks ago, at $1,610...