1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Video Security Systems

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Bottom Feeder, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

I just finished up installation of four new runs of cat5e for the ip video cameras I purchased. I was using two of them for a month or so to test 'em out and was impressed by the quality of the video.

I have a six camera system currently but it is only 640X480 res. The video is pretty grainy when you try to zoom in to see a detail - licence plates were impossible.

TrendNet IP301 camera at Frys.JPG

The cameras are all by Trendnet, model TV-IP310, all purchased in a visit to a local Frys (they're listed on their web site if you want to look). Somewhat of struggle at times to get into and onto the camera with their setup program, but dickin around enough finally brought each of them up and on line so I could install them on my security software. Just for video monitoring purposes each of them were just fine to go at that point.

Next, The security program
    TBC,
    BF

2. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Been wanting one myself , should have run some cables before I blew in more insulation this spring, I wonder how the wireless ones are. Guess i could run the wires under the soffit though

Goldhedge likes this.
  3. Bottom Feeder

There was a video security program that came bundled with the IP camera. But like most bundled software it was pretty elementary and there were other features I wanted in a video security system that I had on my wish list from my old analog system. Reading around the I-net on different video/ security forums I kept seeing the program Blue Iris mentioned. It turned out to be a popular home security system that had a two week free trial period. The cost of the software is $60 for the version that supports more than one surveillance camera.

So I downloaded their 15 day trial version and started testing it out.

Most of the setup was straight forward enough. When you first set up the IP camera you logged in as admin and changed the password. To install your camera you better damn well have that password and username handy. You need to know its IP address as well. Each camera is installed in turn. Blue Iris allows up to 64 cameras to be installed on the system, if that is your goal, go for it.

I installed my two IP cameras and one USB camera that was local to my computer for my trial run. It took me the first full two weeks to finally overcome their backwards (or was it inside out?) application of schedules. You know, like a vacation schedule, or a summertime/wintertime schedule or certain camera(s) off during certain times schedules. I was beating my head about over which camera was off or on and when. I couldn’t seem to get them to stop recording at any time.

I finally figured out it was just the way I was looking at it and what they were doing made perfect sense in a RPN sort of way. During that same time I also discovered that if you didn’t shut down your computer Blue Iris would continue running past the 15 day trial period. Turn of the computer or Blue Iris and you were done.

I’m still testing Blue Iris with my system, I hope to have the other two cameras hard installed in their locations by the end of the week. When I need to shut down, I just re-install an image of that system and install Blue Iris again.

BF

Goldhedge likes this.
  4. Bottom Feeder

I rejected wireless in the beginning because sometimes if the wifi signal is lost the security system will disable that camera.
    They have outdoor rated CAT5e, I use it for all my alarm runs, even if they don't go truly outside.
    I've been playing with this (with analog video systems, though) for about ten years.
    These cameras are the first I've seen in my price range.

BF

5. Bottom Feeder

Here's a frame capture from one of my IP cameras that watches front door approach.
    Cam4-122520.jpg

You can see it's pretty clear. Blue Iris can be set up to take a frame shot like this at whatever interval you want.
    And, of course, like all video security programs I'v seen, allow you to set motion detection up.

BF

6. Bottom Feeder

Just what in the hell is an IP camera? How are they better and how do they work? The cameras you are used to using in security systems are analog cameras. That is the signal they send back is a waveform, not a series of digital pulses.

With analog cameras the signal gets converted to a digital signal that your computer can use by a video digitizing card added to your computer. The IP cameras digitize the signal at the camera and send it down a CAT5 line as communication with a host.

Power is supplied to the analog camera by a parallel (with the video out cable) line that carries, usually 12v DC. Power to the IP Camera is across an unused pair of the CAT5 cable run. This requires an additional piece of equipment called an injector. One is required for each IP camera. There are also switches which inject the required 5v signal on the cable, this is what I recommend. You can get them in several camera supporting capacities, but they get pretty pricey when you’re looking at 64 camera capabilities. Here’s the one I’m using:
    POE Switch.JPG

BF

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  7. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    What is the resolution of this shot? ^

Understanding video resolutions

Bottom Feeder likes this.
  8. Bottom Feeder

questions?

9. Goldhedge

Tech
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  10. Bottom Feeder

11. Bottom Feeder

Yeah, but I ain't sellin nothin.
    And I'm a real person with real answers, not some frikin salesman. Real world experience should not be under rated.
    And this "IP cameras weren't designed with simplicity in mind" probably comes from s person who swears by their MAC.

I can make 'em work, and I'm an old man.

BF

Goldhedge likes this.
  12. Goldhedge

Tech
    What cameras would you use to catch the license plate?

also can you buy different cameras and use them on one system, or is the system proprietary?

13. Bottom Feeder

Excellent example of visualizing resolution and frame size, there Goldhedge. I grabbed one of the stills they had:

2k-hd-sd-1024x540.jpg
    The middle one, 640X480, which used to be "standard" size on computer screens last century.
    BF

Goldhedge likes this.
  14. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Very nice setup, Im still sick to my stomach that it has gotten to this point where we need alarms and cameras to protect ourselves.

15. Bottom Feeder

It helps if you have a layout of your desired places to monitor. You need to be able to run CAT5 cable to the location you want the camera. If you’ve already run analog cable to those areas, then your layout work is half done. At least you know where you can utilize your cameras best. And, hey, with 64 camera capability you could cover a LOT of area – go for it.

People here point out the beauty of wireless. So, do they use batteries? Didn’t think so, if they did they’d be like those fire alarm batteries; dead when you needed ‘em. So you say they need power, eh? Then just how are they “wireless”? And, unh, aren’t those wireless signals electromagnetic waves, like, maybe radio? And what with the hackers breaking into all kinds of super spy agency, banks, equifax and all that shit, you think their kids, tinkerin’ around might be practicing on your “wireless” network?

So, being paranoid as I am I crawl around in the basement, the attic and up my two story walls installing hard wiring. Keeps me in shape.

BF

16. Bottom Feeder

Aw man, it's TOUGH to catch LPs. Even at this res, direct on, I can only resolve, at best four or five numbers. If I know what they are you can see it. (like you see things in clouds). And you have to have a set up to capture the front of the car position to get a good picture.

These cameras are just set up on your WIRED network. Its up to you to find some suitable program to use them for security. You need all the equipment I ran over here. They work all by themselves as monitor-the-grounds type cameras.

BF

17. Bottom Feeder

So, as to your question on license plate view, Goldhedge, I watched as my wife backed into the space next to my truck and you could read her plate from in front of the truck (about where the 'E' in 'Evaluation' is on the frame capture) sharp and clear, no problem at all.

BF

Goldhedge likes this.
  18. Bottom Feeder

One of the problems you run into is; what do you do with the video you capture. Normally on my four camera setup (two of them are just installed in windows in 'testing' mode) I capture about 20 to 30 gBytes a day. If your sole purpose is to catch a picture of a burglar then you just erase them all whenever there's no break-in the day before :D.

If, like me, you review the videos each day to see if someone might be 'casing' your home then you need to set aside some time for review. You can set the playback speed on Blue Iris to X2 to up to X10 (IIRC) to zoom thru them zip-zip — it's kinda like time lapse photography. On a nice sunny day I get about 4 GB of shadows waving around on the ground. Other times, in the darkness, I get to see the raccoons inspecting my garbage containers. When I'm done I just erase those vids that aren't interesting. A few, I clip out what I want and save it.

During the zip-zip review it's easy to see someone walking up to my door and I can stop the fast review and look at then in real time or freeze a frame. Knowing the way the police work (file a report, turn it in to your insurance) I don't have too much faith in them arresting the perp from my freeze frame or being able to recover any of my stolen stuff. But reviewing my videos daily could give me a heads up to someone's intended purpose. And being aware of their intentions I might just be able to thwart them.

So far Blue Iris is handling my four camera in HD at 30 FPS with only about 35% cpu load.

BF