1. Yet another holiday today for .gov and market types today in the US
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This Monday, Feb. 20, all U.S. banks and financial markets will be closed in observance of the Presidents Day,
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 2/17/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1239.10-- Silver $18.03-- Oil $53.78-- USD $100.95 -- Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE 2017 $1304.51 (1), SAE $21.15 (20)

Virtual Private Network .....

Discussion in 'Computers' started by REO 54, Oct 28, 2016.

1. REO 54

REO 54 Midas Member Midas Member

I searched for a thread about this topic, but nonthing showed up.

Does anyone have any experience or opinion on this type of service?

Why You Need to be Using A VPN (Virtual Private Network)
    October 28, 2016 By FR

Why You Need to be Using A VPN (Virtual Private Network)

October 28, 2016 By FR

Do you ever get nervous about online surveillance? Are you protected right now? Chances are, you’re reading this article on an unsecured, unencrypted connection. In fact, everywhere you go online, you broadcast an IP address which identifies you by location and the device you’re using, such as a computer or smart phone.

And it get’s even worse… people are having their lives destroyed.

Privacy and Security Online
    Governments everywhere are cracking down. The US government has been working with internet service providers for many years to spy on citizens. The surveillance grid is already in place. Police have raided and arrested hundreds of people for seemingly innocent online activity or social media comments.

[​IMG]
    Police in Europe raiding homes and confiscating computer equipment.
    European governments have also been arresting people who criticize their policies. “Hate speech” laws are used to prosecute anyone who steps out of line. Some people have even had their children taken away for criticizing immigration policies. No matter where you live, there’s nowhere to run.

Social media giants, such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google are already working with governments to monitor and censor your speech. Mark Zuckerberg has implemented policies at Facebook to report users to the government if they appear to violate “hate speech” laws.

Content platforms are also censoring people around the world. YouTube channels are shut down or entirely blocked in certain countries. Anything that someone determines to be offensive can be shut down or blocked:

[​IMG]

There’s also a major problem with companies spying on your browsing information and then adjusting the price based on your data. This would be like a hotel manager who sees you driving up in a new Mercedes and then raising the price of a room by 20 percent. Well that’s happening to you all the time if you shop online.

A Simple Solution: Virtual Private Network (VPN)
    The most important thing you can do is protect yourself online. Luckily there’s a simple solution to help you do that. It’s called a Virtual Private Network – or VPN.

In basic terms, a VPN is a secure, encrypted tunnel of information between your computer (you) and a remote server located somewhere in the world. This connection (or tunnel) is very important for online privacy and security because it adds an extra layer of security onto your computer or device.

[​IMG]

The process for getting setup is simple. You don’t need to be a software genius or computer programmer. Just purchase a VPN service plan, download the encryption/connection software, and then connect online with privacy and security.

Using a VPN has many advantages:

• A VPN hides the IP address of your computer and replaces it with the IP address of a remote server located somewhere in the world. (Your location will be a mystery for companies and governments.)
    • You can remain truly anonymous while online instead of having everything you do tracked and connected to you.
    • You will be protected while using public WiFi connections – such as in hotels, cafés, train stations, and airports. (Note: if you aren’t using a VPN with public WiFi connections, you could easily be hacked.)
    • You can view content that’s blocked in certain geographical locations.
    • You can encrypt your internet connection so internet service providers (ISPs) can’t see what you’re doing online. (This will also help protect you from identity theft and other hackers.)
    • You can access digital products and online deals that are restricted to certain geographic locations. (Amazon is notorious for restricting access to products for people in certain regions – a VPN will fix that problem.)
    • You can get cheaper products and flights by changing your location with a different IP address. (For flights and expensive digital products, this difference can be huge.)
    The Best Choice for a VPN Service
    As privacy continues to erode around the world it’s becoming more important for everyone to protect themselves. Unfortunately this comes at a price because maintaining a secured, encrypted, worldwide network of servers is not cheap. But like everything in life, you get what you pay for.

After using a variety of VPN services over the last year, there is only one that we can recommend, and that is IPVanish VPN service. When you’re using a VPN service, you need a quality product. In testing other products we found the following problems with cheaper VPN services:

• Connection problems – some services would drop the connection about every 20 minutes.
    • Slow speeds – many of the cheaper services are clogged up with traffic and plagued by very slow speeds, which makes watching videos almost impossible.
    • Security problems – some VPN services run on bad software that can allow your information to “leak” out online (for example IPV6, DNS, and WebRTC leaks).
    • Sketchy marketing practices and policies – many VPN providers are located in offshore or remote regions and do not live up to their marketing claims.
    VPN services can range in price from around $3.33 per month to $8.32 per month. IPVanish is in the middle of the price range at $6.49 per month, which may seem a bit pricey, but it provides you with a complete internet security solution. We recommend IPVanish over all the other options for these reasons:

• Extremely fast speeds and excellent connectivity
    • Access to thousands of IP addresses located all over the world
    • Easy, user-friendly software that works great on Mac, Windows, Android, and other devices
    • Excellent tech support and customer service that usually responds within a few minutes
    • Zero traffic logs (they don’t record anything you do online)
    Unless you’re a tech genius who can build a secure encryption solution from scratch, you should go with a VPN service. After trying numerous services, such as NordVPN, Private Internet Access, TOR, PureVPN, and ExpressVPN, we keep coming back to IPVanish because it’s the best.

[​IMG]

If you’re still going online without a VPN, especially if you use public WiFi connections, we strongly recommend that you check out IPVanish to protect your privacy and security before it’s too late.

http://financialresistance.com/why-vpn/

searcher, Eyebone, michael59 and 2 others like this.
  2. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter

Architect
    I actually use this VPN software and it rocks! Very fast compared to every other VPN package I've tried.

3. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    I sometimes use TOR or a mexican ip address.

4. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    Sold......I've been running around showing my dirty undies for too long....time to pull my britches up.

searcher and REO 54 like this.
  5. the_shootist

Architect
    IPvanish is charging $58.49 right now (25% off) for a year of service. I like it a lot and highly recommend it to others interested in protecting yourself

6. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

While the idea sounds good, how do you know for certain that the people running the VPN connected to, can themselves be trusted?
    If I wanted to track people, the first thing I'd do is to offer VPN services and then scour the data of its users.

If the VPN is legit, then yea.
    ...but it seems to me that anyone doing anything questionable online while using a compromised VPN service, is simply creating one-stop-shopping for the spooks who may be the ones running it.

So how can I be sure of the intentions of the unknown-to-me people who run it?

mayhem, Lt Dan and GOLDBRIX like this.
  7. REO 54

REO 54 Midas Member Midas Member

Thanks for the feed back so far....

8. the_shootist

Architect
    Ya got to do the research. I did enough to convince me the VPN I use is legit. That's about all I can do but you're right....DYODD

mayhem and gringott like this.
  9. mayhem

mayhem A Different Perspective Seeker

Retired
    Another that I use is Open VPN. I forgot to mention that Open VPN isn't available for Linux, as a direct download. You have to get the source code for all the parts and compile for yourself. That's the best way of course. I don't know that much so I had a person I trust to compile it for me.

TOR is the best but, a lot of sites have their IP address blacklisted. It is open source so if you know code anyone can read through and see if there any leaks. Plus TOR gives you a window into the badlands if you choose to go there. Right now I am using Just Proxy on this Chromebook running Chrome browser on crouton Linux instead of google's OS.

So why should anyone care? That is the attitude that got us here where we are. If you read, look for Thieves Emporium for kindle readers. You can get kindle software for any OS. Max creates a fictional near future and includes a whole lot of easily understandable tech written into the narrative. Very good read.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    Lt Dan likes this.
  10. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    I use a VPN, key is that they don't keep logs. They can't turn over something they don't have.

the_shootist and mayhem like this.
  11. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

How exactly do you absolutely 100% know for sure they don't keep logs? Not saying they do keep them, but at some point it all comes down to a matter of trust, does it not?

gringott likes this.
  12. mayhem

Retired
    How exactly do you know that you will wake up tomorrow morning, you don't.:don't know: Same applies to a VPN company, you spend the time to dig through the haze and see what other people smarter than you are sayin. I use Open VPN. Are they the best? They have a good rep but if you are not using anyone or a free one (ya get nuttin for free) you are exposed plain and simple. Nothing is guaranteed but death Joe, even taxes can be avoided.

Hey, some folks won't use TOR because, like the internet it had it's roots in DARPA.
    Do what you are comfortable with.
    :truck2:

searcher, gringott and the_shootist like this.
  13. mayhem

Retired
    Well your ISP is doing that right now. So nit much to lose by using a VPN.
    Like I said above, you can't.
    I shouldn't be reading this from the bottom up :-)

14. the_shootist

Architect
    I know I'm probably (but not certain) protected. I'm certain I'm not protected without it. I figured upping my chances was worth 60 bucks a year.

15. mayhem

Retired
    This topic has gotten me off my butt. I was looking at a new router as we have way to many wireless devices here, and to top that off I'm building a new desktop for the wife.

The router is old and slows down real bad when I'm streaming and she is playing games. It is 6, 7 year tech, so this is what I have come up with after some serious looking.

http://www.sabaitechnology.com/ lots of choices for new router and reprogrammed to use VPN's better. (also a list of different VPN's available.)

And from: https://www.bestvpn.com/best-usa-vpn/ also there is this:
    5 Best USA VPN Services in 2016
    Although you may want to look into a offshore VPN, as they are not required to keep any logs. And BTW, y'all should install the plugin https everywhere for added security.

That should get any serious folks started.

Lt Dan, michael59 and REO 54 like this.
  16. bmisiti

bmisiti New Member

mayhem and Lt Dan like this.
  17. Garyw

Garyw Silver Member Silver Miner

tired and retired
    This is the one I use it is very easy to load in about 5 minutes worldwide service less than 7 dollars a month and $39.99 per Year. questions are answered very quickly great service folks. it is called simply Private Internet access. Best and easiest I could find works perfectly

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/

18. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Bump................

19. edsl48

edsl48 Silver Member Silver Miner

Have you looked at the free Epic Browser?

https://www.epicbrowser.com/

Why should I use Epic?
    When you use the Epic Privacy Browser, you get privacy in a fast, simple browser. Have a fabulous browsing experience and gain privacy over what you browse and search. Protect your browsing and searches from hundreds of companies and governments.

How does Epic protect my privacy?
    Epic does several things to protect your privacy. Epic by default removes all Google services from Chromium so that your browsing does not go through Google’s servers. When you visit a search engine, Epic routes that request through a proxy server so that they can’t track you by your IP address. You can also manually turn on Epic’s built-in proxy anytime (it’s the icon at right in the address bar). Epic removes referer data from the http header of search sites that may leak your search terms. Epic blocks thousands of trackers and widgets from tracking your browsing and searching across the internet.Epic has an encrypted data preference so whenever possible, Epic connects you securely. This protects you from general surveillance and when you’re on a public WiFi network. Epic always blocks third-party cookies and sends a do-not-track me signal. Epic never collects any data about your browsing or searches. Epic services such as auto-fill in the address bar are local so that what you’re typing is never sent to any server. Epic is always in private browsing or incognito mode so that after you close Epic, all your browsing data and data stored on your system by websites are deleted.