1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Walking Liberty Centennial Gold Coin

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by birddog, Oct 8, 2016.

1. birddog

birddog Gold Member Gold Chaser

November 17th is the date for the last in the series. Nothing on the web site as to how many you can purchase as of yet.

2. savvydon

savvydon Gold Member Gold Chaser

Wonder what the max total mintage will be.

3. farscott

farscott Silver Member Silver Miner

70,000 total mintage and three per order at first, starting on 17-NOV-2016.

4. savvydon

Should sell out pretty quickly.

5. Starter

Starter Silver Member Silver Miner

This will be a blockbuster year of gold purchasing by me, especially for my first year!

6. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

Absolutely gorgeous coins! I should start looking for a deal on the merc dime about now too.

savvydon likes this.
  7. birddog

birddog Gold Member Gold Chaser

I'm just glad the count is more than 1..... Both the dime and the quarter are stunning.

savvydon likes this.
  8. Starter

As of today, I haven't yet found a dealer to do the quick-sell deal on the gold Walking Liberty half dollars.

Provident, APMEX, and my local coin dealer all told me today that they do not have a special program to buy the coins from middlemen like us.

Maybe I just need to keep looking...

9. savvydon

I don't know quite what to make of that. 70,000 available with a three per limit means that it could sell out with just over 23,000 orders. Granted it won't be a cheap coin, but it you remember most of the 125,000 dimes (max was ten per order so it was over 12,000 orders) went in just a few hours.

At this point I know I will be buying at least one. With the recent smackdown in gold it is tempting to roll the dice and go for three...

10. Starter

This new one is a bigger, more expensive coin. Basically, it is 5 gold mercury dimes combined into one (or 4.5, if you count the higher premium of the smaller coin).

Going by this scale of 4.5 to 1, the sales limit of 70k is like gold mercury dimes having a sales limit of 315k, as each purchase of 1 gold half dollar will bring the same financial burden as buying 4.5 gold dimes. In effect, it will be much less scarce than the gold mercury dime, as the lower mintage limit will not be enough to compensate for its higher cost.

If I find a dealer for a quick sale, though, I will be happy to buy these from the Mint.

Just my two cents...

11. Shiny

Shiny Silver Member Silver Miner

Given that the coin has same amount of gold as a first spouse - but expected sales of several spouses combined.

It will be interesting to see how the prices compare in secondary market...

12. Starter

The coin is still available now at $865 per coin!

For the record, I have not purchased one myself.

13. Starter

The coin is still available at this time, even with the reduced price resulting from the drop in spot gold and more than one day of sales. It looks like the coin is headed to a fate similar to the gold Standing Liberty quarter.

This time, I believe the Mint set the mintage limit of the coin too high, at 70,000, though they were correct in setting the household order limit at 3.

They should have used the gold Mercury dime as an example and then prorated the mintage limit and household order limit based on the approximate cost of each coin. So, for example, the gold Mercury dime had a mintage limit of 125,000 and a household order limit of 10. If we count each gold Walking Liberty half dollar as the equivalent of 4.2 gold Mercury dimes (based on the cost ratio), this means that the ideal mintage limit of the gold Walking Liberty half dollar should have been about 30,000, and the household order limit should have been 2 or 3 (they were correct for this number).

The initial sales surge from the big dealers and their buyers was not enough to result in a sellout of the coin. At this point, the Mint is relying on random sales from collectors to sell the remaining coins. If we prorate the actual mintage limit of each Centennial gold coin by its cost, their prorated mintage limit will be as follows:

Mercury dime

Standing Liberty quarter

Walking Liberty half dollar

The prorated numbers above suggest that only the Mercury dime will be hotly contested in the secondary market, being the scarcest coin relative to its cost, and the Walking Liberty half dollar will be like the Standing Liberty quarter in the secondary market (or slightly weaker), as it is the least scarce coin of the group relative to its cost.

Adjusting the household order limit to 3 was correct, but it only served to concentrate ownership of the coin into the hands of the big dealers. With high mintage limit relative to its cost, however, the coin remains abundantly available in the secondary market, giving it a weak outlook for market price.

14. savvydon

Sales were just under 44,000 for the first day. I think the mint was smart on this one. A total mintage of 30,000 would have caused a stampede and made this coin very pricey for after market buyers. I believe we may yet see a sell out by year's end.

birddog likes this.
  15. Starter

Latest mintage report for the Walking Liberty gold coin...

Precious Metal Products 16XA 2016 WALKING LIBERTY 24K GOLD .5OZ 59048 12/18/2016

With the last few price drops at the Mint, someone out there must be licking their lips!

16. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Platinum Bling

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    As of now (12:55 AM, June 24, 2017), the 1/2-oz Walking Liberty gold coin is still available for sale at USMint.gov web site. The June 18, 2017 USMint report shows the mintage at 63,692 (out of maximum mintage of 70,000).