1. Markets swoon moving into Monday open, Metals catch a nice bid
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Monday Morning! Gold is up 8.8 to 1257, while Silver is up 18 to 1793. Crude is falling 40 to 4757. The USD is down 50 to 9893.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 3/25/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1248.50-- UP 18.30 Silver $17.75-- UP 34 Oil $47.97-- DOWN 134 TICS USD $99.42 -- DOWN 66 tics

WESO wood stoves anybody?

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by phideaux, Apr 13, 2010.

1. phideaux

phideaux Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Hey guys,

I'm looking at acquiring a new SHTF bunker and it's got one of these allegedly ultra high-efficiency German WESO ceramic wood stoves. It looks like this, but I can't find much info about it on the net. Apparently they are no longer imported into the US. Any insights into this unit?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
    GodspeedMetals likes this.
  2. Pinguino

Pinguino New Member

wow looks interesting cannot be imported huh. well I'm moving on then...

3. Jimfrancisco

Jimfrancisco Seeker Seeker

They are fantastic, I have one at a place in Vermont. Been there since I bought it, it holds heat forever, REALLY makes use of the wood you put in, the tiles stay hot until the morning. Then throw in another log, it lights right back up again.

4. phideaux

Thanks Jim.

The one I looked at had a relatively tiny fire box, maybe 8"x8"x12" if that big. I only looked at it briefly, did I miss something?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  5. Bruce

Bruce New Member

jimfrancisco

please let me contact you. I have just moved into a house that has a WESO Renaissance wood stove that is presenting one heck of a challenge to me to get to have a fire. In fact today is chimney cleaning day, thinking that that may be some sort of solution. My cell phone is 541-254-0174 leave a message and I will call you back. NEEDING HELP!

Thanks,
    Bruce

6. REO 54

REO 54 Midas Member Midas Member

Thats interseting.My neighboor who is building a new house/compound is installing a wood fired boiler made in Germany.In fact I'll be using my Deuce winch to lower into his basement next
    Wed.

What brand is the one your looking at?I'll ask him what he's got.

7. gnome

gnome Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

If I lived in a temperate climate, not the sub-tropics, I'd build myself a rocket mass heater out of cob. Incredibly efficient at burning wood and holds heat just like expensive masonry stoves.

Heated cob benches take it to another level, because they use conduction to heat people directly.

Conduction is the most effective method of heat transfer. Radiation is next. Convection, the least effective.

8. phideaux

For the record, i didn't buy the house with that stove. :biggrin:

At the time I searched all over the web and couldnt find any more info on that stove.

9. GodspeedMetals

GodspeedMetals Gold Member Gold Chaser

Any idea how much a stove like that *would* cost?

Do you know of any alternative wood-burning stoves?

it looks fantastic.

10. REO 54

REO 54 Midas Member Midas Member

"What brand is the one your looking at?I'll ask him what he's got." REO

Duh,I can't read.

11. Jimfrancisco

Sorry Bruce, totally missed that reply and have been in the UK for a while anyway so it would have cost you an arm and both legs to call me! Not that it matters now, but you need to light it like a fireplace, with the damper closed and door open, then once it starts to blaze close the door and open the damper. Fantastic stoves, not as fast to heat the place from cold but they really hold the heat longer than you would think possible.
    I think it's beer o'clock - 6.27AM and I have to be at a pool party for noon - time to get loaded up on useless calories in case the three horsemen come!

12. Kkernell

Kkernell Seeker Seeker

What is a rocket mass heater? I am not familiar with that.

13. Malus

Malus Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

irrelevant
    I just had installed a RSF Topaz (German) high efficiency wood burning fireplace. My shack is all baseboard heating and I want out of that slave route of heating. It cost me about $7k not including the rock and mantle. It works like a beauty. No more baseboard heating. Now, this was the best I could find, but, I'm in Canada, so I don't know if that makes a difference on what you can get. The stand alone ones ranged in price from about $2400-$6000. They ain't cheap, but, the independence it gives me from someone else supplying me with heat is well worth it, plus, it smells good and I save money......

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  14. Jimfrancisco

What sort of efficiency do they quote for it? My UK house has an open fireplace, I only burn wood, and the sweep reckons it is about 25% efficient, compared to about 70% for a decent wood burning stove. My BO place has a massive fireplace (if I bend over a bit, I can walk into it and look up the chimney!) and enough dead wood and stored wood to go for about 3 years without touching the chainsaw.
    Happily at my UK house, my neighbour (coal burner) has just asked me if I could cut down his orchard (maybe an acre?) as it is no longer giving apples - and the words "You can take the logs if you like, I'll keep the branches for kindling" just sang to me - I love the smell of burning apple wood. And all the free beer I can drink while working with the old Stihl!

15. Malus

irrelevant
    If the question was directed at my Topaz, 11,000-50,000 btu, good for about 800-1500 sq. ft, high 90% (97% if I remember) burning efficiency. Does a re-burn on the circulating smoke. Super cool to watch, all these little gas explosion poofs going off.

16. <===Foolsgold

<===Foolsgold Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

You want Heat?

Get a free standing wood stove. Clean burning prevents fire hazard and cleaning frequency.

Bigger the better...bitchez

[​IMG]

Heating Capacity 1,500 to 2,500 Sq. Feet
    Overall Efficiency 75+%
    Weight 490 Lbs.
    Heat Output 74300 BTU's / Hour
    Maximum Burn Time 12 Hours
    Firebox Size 3.1 Cubic Feet
    Maximum Log Size 24 "
    Emissions 2.6 Grams Per Hour
    Construction 5/16" to 3/16"

http://www.lopistoves.com/product_guide/detail.aspx?id=211#Specs

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  17. phideaux

that's a beautiful fireplace. I don't see anyting, but does it have an electric blower or something to help move the warm air out into the room?

18. Malus

irrelevant
    Yes, its one of the extras I purchased. Since I only have baseboard heating, there are no vents in the house to hook into. I wired a rectifier in the next room so I wouldn't have another switch on the wall. Since I haven't fired it up yet (gonna do it tomorrow), I'll be able to see how well it disperses the heat around. If anything, I'll wire in a fan of some sort by the entrance to the hall to capture the heat and throw it to the rest of the house in back. There is a large vaulted ceiling right above it that is the loft master bedroom. I'm just gonna cut a vent in, so that any heat that goes up the vault will heat my upstairs.

19. gnome

Plenty of youtubes & websites about it.

Basically, a DIY woodstove surrounded by cob (mud, sand, straw) and often attached to a cob bench. As with some efficient woodstoves, the wood is burned and then the fumes are re-burned, so what comes out the chimney is exceptionally clean. The heat runs through the cob bench, where it is stored, and also very efficiently transferred to anyone who happens to sit on the bench.

Here is one example:
    [​IMG]
    And a schematic:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Don't let the low-tech fool you. These compete with the most efficient stoves out there. The reburn, and huge thermal mass is part of it. What separates this from the others is the bench - as I said before, conduction is the most efficient manner of heat transfer. The idea is you want to heat people, rather than air, that is if you are interested in keeping warm on twigs rather than cords of firewood.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  20. gnome