1. Have a great weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Gold and Silver finish the week down
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 4/29/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1268.30-- DOWN 20.80 Silver $17.19-- down 61 Oil $49.33-- down 0.29 USD $98.89 -- down 0.99

What can we do to make GIM better?

Discussion in 'Site Activity/Suggestions' started by Scorpio, Feb 16, 2015.

1. BeefJerky

BeefJerky Gold Member Gold Chaser

As long as we are talking about accepting each other for who we are. I think you should put a bowl of milk out for the kitty again. Especially now that alot of what he said is coming to fruition.

Po'boy, Scorpio and Hystckndle like this.
  2. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

Scorp, I find hints to being able to have an album, but I find nowhere to do it.
    So, if we can in fact have an album, how do we do it ?

edit: found it, call off the dogs.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  3. Ishkabibble

Ishkabibble Gold Member Gold Chaser

GIM is rather good as it is. I do agree with Duck that the emoticons could use work.

There is a core group that I find reliable, and a few who come and go. The core uses this site as one would when conversing with a friend. There's little urgency; it's comfortable and enjoyable. Fear brought many here and when their fear subsided, attendance waned. Their needs were met.

One must see site participation as one sees a living organism. This site has the life we give it. We are the mind. The breath comes from those who enter and exit. Breathing is normal, and necessary. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower. The pace is not for us to set.

2008 brought us a barrage of volume because people got scared. Those who came here were often seeking knowledge, and they found it. Right now, society is in a holding pattern that's more like a slow boil. Traffic will increase as society recognizes the major events which are occurring. That we must rely on fear to bring the masses to us says a lot about the human psyche. We console. We provide understanding. We remain solid when things go to @#$%. We provide a means of escape from the threats of economic and social termoil. We share the means of protecting one's sanity and wealth by demonstrating a clear path forward. And so we are a very valuable resource.

I don't believe we'll see a major influx of people until the next upheaval is recognized. I am comfortable with this. It would be good to have more posters, but recognize that we will be teachers to most who arrive. One learns well through teaching. If learning and serving others is the goal, then perhaps that is our means of growth.

I've seen the kitty mentioned a few times. I learned from him, at the start, but his thought is not evolving. He repeats the same phrases ad infinitum and quotes himself until he gets to diatribes (ad nauseum). There's also the matter of his netiquette. Respect is not something he has for others, it's something he expects as he berates others. If we could educate him on how to converse without offending, and see him respect other members, I'd be fine with him coming back. But I don't think it possible, and I don't think he'd bring new thoughts to the table.

I like GIM as it is. I say let's add some creative emoticons, support each other as we do, and wait. The masses will come. It won't be a long wait. Things are unraveling fast now my friends.

Merlin, ^updated^, Hystckndle and 2 others like this.
  4. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

I need your help on emoticons,

No idea what you guys would like to see or not see?

I can add whatever you guys want

5. Weatherman

Weatherman In GIM since 2006 Gold Chaser Site Supporter

I would like some of the old emoticons to work again. My old posts have lots of :haha:, :wink:, :sarc:, etc. I would like many of those old emoticons to work again when someone reads the old posts, and I would be happy to be able to use them again. Thanks!

TAEZZAR, Ahillock and searcher like this.
  6. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

How about the old tumbs up and the old beerglass?

7. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

Just throwin' this out there, but perhaps users could submit them as they find ones they want to use?
    That way we end up with ones that people actually use as opposed to a giant list of ones that never get used.
    ...and it'll save you time from searching for them yourself and having to guess what everyone else will actually want to use.

When the Duck asked about them, I suggested he do image search to find the ones he wants to use and to either add them to his own album for his own use, or submit to you for inclusion in the list.

When I look at the current list, I see tons of ones that it seems no one ever uses and it makes it hard to find one in the list that I actually want.
    Case in point: in one thread, I wanted one that expressed surprise/shock and after studying the list looking for one, I gave up and did a google search for image/icon and had one in 10 seconds.

8. Eyebone

Eyebone Midas Member Midas Member

I'm just say'in, forum owners generally don't put those tools in your hand.

I have never been on a forum where there is a like and a dislike

Please don't clutter up the place with smileys and such, it's to juvenile.

9. Joe King

Only dislike button I see is for removing a previously "liked" post.
    ...and I think it's a good thing, as it lets one see who stands where on different subjects.

Edited to add: I just "liked" and "unliked" your post a whole buncha times. What did it show on your end?

To not have at least some smileys would be like lockin' the duck into solitary confinement and throwin' away the key. lol You wouldn't wanna do that, now would ya?

db4de6f4269dcdaea1c84ede85edc7a4.jpg

Po'boy likes this.
  10. Scorpio

thanks Joe, exactly right,

the forum packages do not have a wide variety of smilies/emoticons installed. They are brought in by a admin on the forum, uploaded to the server, then made available to the members.

so there is no magic formula, I need this one or that one. For instance, to have a particular one that is like the old one would first require a source. Then from that source we could pull it in.

It took me a lot of searching and looking to find the ones I did, and with time a factor, had to call off the search and move to something else on my list of stuff to accomplish.

Be happy to add anything you guys want, just need it dialed in some.

One thing positive too, is that as you can see by what I have been doing with them, size and type is open to us, wherein we can do many different things now, without structural limitations like we used to have in size/shape/etc.

Weatherman likes this.
  11. Eyebone

Showed nothing
    And yes.

English is a very expressive language.

If you can't make a point using the language don't hide behind a bunch of little gifs.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    Joe King likes this.
  12. Joe King

ok.gif

Twisted and Ishkabibble like this.
  13. Agavegirl1

Agavegirl1 Silver Miner Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

You will not believe me if I told you.
    I don't see a lot of change needed. "Moderation Lite" is really what this forum needs. The categories and sub-forums are varied enough to give a potential reader appropriate advance knowledge of what to expect from the threads therein.

I feel comfortable here but am still learning. Spam is taken care of within minutes but disagreement is allowed to play out for enough time for the members to figure it out. It is one of the few forums where I can respectfully disagree without any "piling on" and I can always skim through and find a topic is not my thing. I seldom use "smilies" or "emoticons" or whatever they are called. I do have a few I like. The idea of taking suggestions from the members for those they would like to see added is a great one.

I really like the graphic at the top of the page but when I am sneaking a peek at work it it pretty eye catching. :secret: when a certain manager walks by. Look! I just used a smiley! Quite inappropriately I'm guessing. I better find a better one.

Keep up the good work.

Goldhedge likes this.
  14. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Good idea...can you make an Excel or Outlook lookalike skin for us to use at work? LOL...I'm mostly serious though...

15. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Hookers and blow for users over say 2500 posts sounds good too. :)

argentos likes this.
  16. Ishkabibble

I have a realization. I have a selection of emoticons I purchased a few years ago for my own forum. I've not used them as the site is dormant and shall be for a couple more years. GIM would be a fine place for them to live. Scorpio, I will PM you a zip file and you can see what you think. It's quite an extensive set. I think people will like them. :D

Edit: Scorpio... can you send me a PM that I can reply to with the file? I can't see your profile to send a private message. The file contents are copyrighted, and while we can use them on GIM, they cannot be published as a comprehensive set others can download.

17. Ishkabibble

I found a way. Scorpio, the file is in a pending conversation. I hope that works.

Scorpio likes this.
  18. argentos

argentos Former Boat Owner Gold Chaser

Retired
    I liked the bear smilies
    bear_flower.gif bear_happy.gif bear_getlost.gif bear_grin.gif bear_innocent.gif bear_kiss.gif bear_laugh.gif bear_noexpression.gif bear_original.gif bear_pinch.gif bear_rolleyes.gif bear_santa.gif bear_shifty.gif bear_shocked.gif bear_shy.gif bear_smile.gif bear_thumb.gif bear_tongue.gif bear_unsure.gif bear_w00t.gif bear_wacko.gif bear_wassat.gif bear_whistle.gif bear_angry.gif bear_blink.gif bear_wub.gif bear_cool.gif bear_cry.gif bear_ermm.gif
    and we need some sort of Duck. duck.gif

Ishkabibble likes this.
  19. Ishkabibble

If we're gonna add a duck, we need a gold duck.

[​IMG]

Have to resize it, but I think the image works. :D

argentos likes this.
  20. argentos

Retired
    or this:
    [​IMG]

21. Ishkabibble

Do we need one of these? I can make a silver one too if people like it.

I realize the implications, but perhaps there will come a time when we're all comfortable with the rocket. :p

Attached Files:

22. argentos

Retired
    [​IMG]

23. Amsterdam

Amsterdam New Member

I've been silently studying here since GIM 1. I'm just happy that this place is always full of knowledgeable people, willing to teach those of us who want to learn.

For me, anything beyond that is icing on the cake !

-Ams

24. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    Welcome to the board Amsterdam! Glad you joined us.

25. Eyebone

It seems to me that on some forums one can disable 'smileys' in their personal preferences.

Does this incarnation have that feature?

If so problem solved.

26. Howdy

Howdy Silver Member Silver Miner

I sure miss the "new posts" link.

27. Ishkabibble

Oh oh! Look at me go! ... almost there!

28. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Place the date of each post at the bottom in bold. You also need to do something with the New Posts hyperlink and place it on top to the left instead of in a drop down.

Goldhedge and Usury like this.
  29. Agavegirl1

Welcome Amsterdam! Glad you have been following.

30. Ishkabibble

Perhaps now would be a good time to thank Scorpio, the mods, and all the people who make this the success that it is. We're offering great suggestions, but let us not lose sight of how great GIM already is! I've been to dozens of forums in my life. I've never found such a comfortable balance as exists here. And everyone (mods and participants alike) deserves a pat on the back for it. GIM is nothing without the people who make it great. And you're one of them. So thanks!

31. Agavegirl1

Ish, you are one of the reasons I followed . Thank you for your suggestion. You are correct. The founders, moderators, site designers and members are what make this site unique. Functionality is important and is it is appropriate for some of those mentioned to ask for input. It is a "by the people, of the people and for the people" request after all.

Ishkabibble and Usury like this.
  32. Scorpio

I have asked xenforo about how to get the new posts button to stick.

I have done all I can in css, and need a assist from them on the code. I have already tried changing the order of the nav buttons, and some times it is in left position, other times it is in the drop down, dependent on screen size. Told them I want it dominate and permanently in left position.

Howdy likes this.
  33. Howdy

Howdy Silver Member Silver Miner

I've seen it in left position a few times. Sometimes "recent posts" pops up momentarily when my cursor touches that spot but doesn't stay. I haven't been able to find it on any drop down menu. You probably already mentioned all this in another thread, if so my apologies.

34. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Gold Member Gold Chaser

We could get rid of the Government trolls. Place would be a lot better then.

35. Duckworth

Duckworth Site Supporter Site Supporter Seeker

It's admirable to always want to improve, but this place is way up toward the top of the forums that I have frequented. It's inevitable that there are those that will want to show their ass but I find this crap easy to ignore. I like the fact that it is not moderated too heavily, but fully support banning chronic assholes.

Scorpio likes this.
  36. Thecrensh

Thecrensh Gold Member Gold Chaser

Yes! It's constantly playing "Hide and Seek" with me. ; )

37. Thecrensh

Thecrensh Gold Member Gold Chaser

How do you tell a government troll? I've been called one for my opinion, and am not one.

38. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Gold Member Gold Chaser

You can't but lets say the house management gets enough complaints that someone needs to be checked out or shown the door. Things could be provided to prove one is a regular joe. ID, proof of employment at a normal job that does not include the letters I F C B A in any combination. Just an idea. I know they are active here.

THE Mod staff ever wants to ID me I am fine with it. I don't make my living trolling forums and collecting information about their users.

39. Weatherman

Weatherman In GIM since 2006 Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Scorpio, please consider this post to be a huge compliment to your masterful skills at resolving all the big issues, so only tiny things remain to discuss. One of the tiny things is the page numbers at the bottom of a page:

Tiny page numbers.jpg

Those numbers are so tiny that it is difficult to see when there is a new page to look at, even though the equally tiny word "Next" appears when there is another page to see. Is it possible to increase the size of the page numbers at the bottom? Even better would be a flashing box around the word "Next", but I know that is asking too much. Thanks!

Thecrensh and Scorpio like this.
  40. Unca Walt

Unca Walt Midas Member Midas Member

There used to be a way to check your recent posts.

As in:

Search User's Posts

The forum is now large enough that the above becomes quite handy. But I dunno how to do it anymore.