1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

What does USPS do for signature required if no one is home?

Discussion in 'Purchasing Precious Metals' started by porcupine73, Dec 7, 2012.

1. porcupine73

porcupine73 Seeker Seeker

Engineer
    Ok so understandably decent size orders for PM's are shipped signature required. What does the Post Office do if no one is available to sign for the package?

Do they leave a note letting you pick an alternate delivery date?

Or do they just say you have to come to the Post Office to pick it up?

2. Gcubed

Gcubed Banned

Have you asked your mail carrier? Policy seems to vary. ;)

3. REO 54

REO 54 Midas Member Midas Member

In my experience,I just go to the P.O. and pick it up.I don't have house delivery anyway only a PO box.Safer IMO.

4. EO 11110

EO 11110 He Hate Me Mother Lode

my mailman is a pos. he refuses to deliver to the door - just sticks a note in the box saying sorry we missed you, come pick up your stuff at post office

:finger:

gringott and Argentium like this.
  5. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    USPS sux

#1 at one location (home) i get a knock on the door....or a tag in the mail box to go to post office to pick up package

#2 at another location (business) the post man just signs it and leaves it if no one is there (i have complained about this one to no avail)

i have also had packages show up as "delivered" online a day or two before they show up at my door

6. samwiii

samwiii Gold Member Gold Chaser

My mailman is actually pretty good. Never a problem bringing it to the door if someone's home and leaves a tag in the mailbox if not. I've even had him come back by the house when he's seen me drive by in the neighborhood and he's already been by the house.

7. porcupine73

Engineer
    Thanks for the info. Well I haven't had a signature required USPS delivery in a while. Last time I did, he didn't leave it unless I signed for it.

Big issue I have is USPS ALWAYS leaves the package outside the entryway if they drop it off. UPS and Fedex - no problem, they open the unlocked entryway door (it has see through glass) and leave it inside the entryway. That is very nice, it's dry, somewhat obscured, never had an issue.

If USPS leaves a big $ value box of coins outside my door, it's a risk, but, I have never had a problem with anything missing so far in 20+ years.

Going to the PO is no problem really it's only a couple miles away. Just if they're going to give the option to redeliver some other day that would be nice.

Ragnarok likes this.
  8. Ragnarok

Ragnarok I'd rather be Midas Member

For things like PMs I'd much rather go pick it up at the post office than risk having it stolen by a carrier, or them knowing where they dropped it off.

Delivery to your business is also a good option; if you are there all day you can request Restricted Delivery and you will be the one that has to sign for it.

Worth the few extra frns for the peace of mind imho.

R.

9. Argentium

Argentium Midas Member Midas Member

Same deal with me, EO. Lazy, POS carrier won't get out of his truck to come to the door for a sig, just sticks the orange slip in my mailbox. It really chaps my azz, when I'm home for lunch and I see that azzhole at the mailbox and later find the slip in my mailbox, when my vehicle is parked right on the driveway. That should be a clear sign that someone is home. Oh, the PO "employees" are all retards, as well.

EO 11110 likes this.
  10. TomD

TomD It blowed up, y'all Platinum Bling

construction, engineering
    My postman is a very nice and good looking woman who I love talking to. If its sig rqd., she'll bring it to the house and knock. No one home and she'll leave the tag.

11. samwiii

I'm with you there. Last time I went, there were about 12 people in line with 1 cashier working while three other employees were walking back and forth doing who-the-heck knows what. Anything but helping out, that's for darn sure. Useless.

EO 11110 likes this.
  12. hoarder

hoarder Banned

Around here, USPS is a lot better than UPS. Our mailgals are very concientious and cooperative. It really depends where you live. Performance of USPS employees is mostly optional. UPS has a lot of stupid policies and disorganized operations.

13. latemetal

latemetal Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

my Postman does his job, if I'm home I get the package, if not I get a slip to come down to the Post Office.:cool05:

14. <SLV>

<SLV> Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

We leave a note with the parcel information on it. The note has a place for you to sign it and you can check a box authorizing the carrier to re-deliver and leave it at your door (or in your box if it fits). Because this takes a couple days most people just bring the slip to the PO and pick up their package. It is usually available to be picked up when the PO opens the next morning, but if you go in just before close on the same day sometimes the carrier will be back with the package already.

15. <SLV>

<SLV> Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

And BTW... mail carriers really don't care what is in the boxes. We are just trying to get everything delivered safely, accurately, and quickly. Nobody stands around sorting the mail/packages trying to guess what is in them. Sometimes it is obvious (pills, clothes) because it is in a bag. If it is in a box and marked discretely, then it is a mystery and we don't really care.

Yesterday I left a note for a small light-weight package and the sender was something like NPFBG03 (not exactly). I have no idea what that is, and I don't really care. I just want to make sure that I scan it correctly and return it to the PO safely because I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR IT. The carrier has to personally sign out any packages that require a signature from recipient (insured, certified, registered, signature confirmation). If anything happens to that parcel / letter and it is damaged or lost the carrier is PERSONALLY responsible.

latemetal, Silver Buck and TomD like this.
  16. porcupine73

Engineer
    Great thank you everyone for the help. Thanks SLV especially for your firsthand knowledge. My mail person is usually pretty good, he will pull in the driveway and toot the horn if something needs attention. I just don't like packages that are too large to fit in the mailbox get left right outside my front door in plain view though, whereas UPS and Fedex leaves them inside. I got the biggest mailbox I could find, it will fit up to a flat rate large box, so much of the time if no sig is required it will just be in the mailbox. Fortunately I live kind of in the middle of nowhere so I've never had any trouble with packages go missing or anything.

So I'll see today how it goes down. A box of half dollars are coming, I can see from the tracking it says priority mail, signature confirmation. It was supposed to arrive yesterday but there was no note or anything, but today I see the tracking basically says its out for delivery this morning.

17. samwiii

Are these halves special or are you roll searching? You can get those at your bank at face value if you just let them know you want some. eBay prices are just wrong. Here's a little more info:

http://www.goldismoney2.com/showthread.php?608-PROSPECTING-for-90-SILVER!!!&p=470395#post470395