1. Stocks try to regain their footing, metals up
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Weds Morning! Gold is up 5.5 to 1252, while Silver is up 16 to 16.75. Crude is down 16 to 4408. The USD is down .09 to 9600
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

What's Cracking In The Garden 2017

Discussion in 'Others-Electronics, Photography, Gardening?' started by spinalcracker, Apr 10, 2017.

1. spinalcracker

spinalcracker On a mail train. Seeker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    It's early spring out on the high plains of eastern Colorado. To damn cold to plant stuff outdoors except onions and garlic , which are up.
    But with night time temps still below freezing , it's still to early to plant in this Zone.
    Tomatoes and peppers are being prepped indoors.
    Corn and sunflower seeds were planted early but are not up , yet.
    A lot of greens on the list , spinach , chard , kale , mustard greens , and turnip greens will be added as weather permits.
    We have a couple of garden spits , one is about 30' wide by 60' long and the other space is about 20' x 50'.
    We try to use most of the backyard for veggies and we let the chickens free range on about 3/4 of an acre.
    Chickens and a garden takes some management.
    We also make a little room to grow some legal cannabis for medicine.
    Here are a few photos of garden stuff.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    A couple of photos from last year.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

2. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    Mulched blackberries and raspberries today. I have onions up more just planted. Garlic has been up since about November. Several of my fruit trees are in bloom, except for some of the apple trees. Honey bees are busy, I put out some swarm traps to be in place for when bees start to swarm later this month through about July. Saw the wife out there in the garden planting something, I'll ask her later what it was. I know she has other early stuff planted, but to soon for it to start showing. I did plant a few potatoes last week, not many, as I no longer like to dig potatoes, other than a few for fresh eating, especially with green beans.

Well, just came in to eat a lunch, gotta get back out there.

andial, Joseph, historyrepete and 3 others like this.
  3. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Lt , it sounds like your garden is firing on all 8 cylinders! You have everything going on that's possible for your Zone.
    How would you like to be able to grow lemons and mangoes and avacados?
    No taters here this year either. Like you , we don't need to be doing a lot of digging at our age , can you dig it?
    Just waiting for the flycatcher birds to return and then I'll start planting melons.
    Good luck this year Lt!....

image.jpg

image.jpg

4. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    shit...damn-purt-neer broke my puter tipping it sideways to see that one photo.

GREAT garden if them things grow in it. Question: Where did you get the seed?

spinalcracker likes this.
  5. stonedywankanobe

stonedywankanobe Gold Member Gold Chaser

Nice thread Crackers, ive got a very small garden
    operation underway here.

i now have 15 blueberry bushes in the dirt of various age from 3 to 1 year olde, all are fruiting and the honey bees have been dancing on them daily.

I dug up and parted my blackberry bush and now have three, which have begun fruting.

Couple of tomato plants, zucchini, crookneck, sweet pepper, spinach and some strawberries.

Two weeks ago we potted the spring mix salad medley they sell at Lowe's, just cut our first salad off and had it as a side tonight. Unreal how much better it was than the stuffs you buy in a bag,
    never going back.

Will try and snap a few shots of my busch league attempts at gardening later.

Also, i put 6 varieties of grapes two weeks ago.
    Plus other legal stuff...

6. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I have tomatoes, red bell peppers, greek oregano and lemons. The basil is just not cooperating.

spinalcracker and Lt Dan like this.
  7. michael59

20 years logging
    Oh piss on all of ya.....I got flooded out. Yes I worked it, yes I planted and then that unforgiving rain just went on and on and on and on....did I tell you the rain went on and on? Well it did.

spinalcracker likes this.
  8. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Thanks for the kind words.
    We usually make our own seed.
    If we do buy seed , we buy from Seed Savers.
    We will be growing hemp this year just for the birds. They love the whole plant and especially the seeds which are high in good omega oils which make for good eggs!..

image.jpg

9. michael59

20 years logging
    shit, got ya beet on those eggs....actually found four in the back hoe... Cleaned out the stalls and pulled 98 out of the box in there went in the next day and pulled ten.....

figur'n 10 perday....and yes I ran out of cartons to put them in....teach me to use them for fire starter it did...

edit: fact is I filled up a rubber feed tub....I'll see if I can get the pick on here....(this is asking alot from myself.)

2# edit: dirty but was in a hurry;

3# edit...yeah I figured as much...load it twice and flippen thing still dint go off.

4# edit:... yeah it worked but had to down load it to twinny? shit the bed and then roll over in it...how come this never works for me?[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  10. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Good luck on those blueberries and the rest of your garden! You live in a beautiful state for farming!
    I hope your pops is doing well and you Cats have plenty of good work this year!
    Some pink flowers from last season.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

11. michael59

20 years logging
    RoseBud

pitw likes this.
  12. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    Yesterday I planted a few carrots for fresh eating. I did ask the wife what she planted. Beets, radishes, spinach, and beans, not sure if she planted other stuff, maybe lettuce, we'll see what comes up.

My new Jerusalem artichoke plot is starting to come up. Potatoes - not yet showing, but they usually take a while, just planted those this past week.

Blueberry plants are starting to blossom, different types, so not all coming on at once. Strawberries blossoming too.

I saw my oldest granddaughter trying to dig up a plot for herself a garden, so I took the tiller over and helped her out. Think she planted something in it, not sure if her mom helped or not. I'll have to check on that later.

My last year chickens have been laying since last fall. I have 10 and get anywhere from 4-10 eggs a day. I only use about a dozen a week myself, wife is unpredictable when it comes to eggs. She might use anywhere from none to a couple dozen a week depending on her mood. But I can either sell or give to needy friends all the rest of the eggs. I call my hens, my missionary chickens. I use about 10% of the eggs for myself and all the rest kinda goes to some form of mission or charity, even the ones I sell are cheap, $1 a dozen, which I put back for the work in Thailand.

13. pitw

pitw Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Custom pesticide applicator.
    The ground is still frizzed down a foot here. Calling for a foot of snow and 20 F for Sunday so no gardening going on yet.

14. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Pitw , are you in northern Montana?
    Lt , kudos on your generosity..keep that up and you will be so blessed that it will amaze you!...
    We reap what we sow.

Lt Dan likes this.
  15. nickndfl

Peppers and green tomatoes 20170413_143937.jpg

stonedywankanobe, Lt Dan and pitw like this.
  16. pitw

Spin, I'm a mite North of Northern MT. Like as in Alberta and we grow a couple huge gardens for our own supply of food. Wife even found some grapes that make it up here in short time to make jelly from.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some of our produce makes it to full size before time runs out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    Found a swarm of bees today! Got 'em boxed in a hive box, gotta go out and set the box up off the ground on some blocks later about dark when the bees should pretty much all be inside. Will be feeding them for a few days to get them up to speed. Had just checked two of my swarm traps and was heading out to run the tiller through the part of the garden that has not yet been planted, when I saw them in a small pine tree. Limb was hanging clear to the ground. I tried to raise the limb to drop the bees in the box but they all fell to the ground. So, I set the box half over the bees and half on the bottom board. When I went back to check on them, they had gone up into the box, so I set it back on the bottom board, covered the top and just went on about my day. Just checked and they are still in there, so far so good. Will also set a feeder on tonight with sugar water 1:1 mix and a pollen patty on the side.

18. pitw

Dan, could you take pics of this ? Never heard of it before. I've found where wild honey bees had set up shop and stole there honey but your idea seems a mite better. One of my boys friends father is taking over his parents farm with somewhere North of 400 bee hives so I hope to learn a bunch there.

stonedywankanobe and Lt Dan like this.
  19. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    Somewhere on my computer I do have a picture or two of one of my hives, (first one), however, I will post some links that would be helpful to anyone starting out or wanting to learn more. It's full dark out now so can't take any pictures of the new hive. This is only my third year with bees, so, I'm not real knowledgeable to go into any detail myself. That said, if that friend of your son has a lot of bees, you might offer to let him place a hive near your garden for a season and get him to show you around a hive and how it works. My hives are near to the garden, but I also have a lot of fruit and berry plants that bees love. Right now, they are hammering the dandelions

I usually suit up in white to handle mine, however, many of the youtube beekeepers do not. The swarm today, I didn't bother to suit up as swarms do not usually sting like established bees sometimes do. Tonight, when I moved them up on the blocks, I blocked off the entrance, suited up and carefully picked up the whole hive box, bottom, top and all and yes, I did suit up as all afternoon, once they had claimed the hive box, they were real defensive. Once that was done, I went ahead and placed the feeder and pollen patty in the feeder box on top of the hive box.

BTW, I'm in south central Ohio, so your bee and growing season would be north of mine - why I posted that Michigan site, good stuff for further north.

Some links I study in my spare time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9sTup0jLpdUSuZKF9D31gQ
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8HLlTQi_AbllvR-SBF8sRQ
    http://beesource.com/build-it-yourself/
    http://www.michiganbees.org/
    http://www.michiganbees.org/beekeeping/in-the-beekeepers-workshop/

20. pitw

I told the wife you said we should get a bee hive for beside the garden. Her reply,"You son of a [female canine], I helped with your dumb idea of the pigs, hay, spraying and countless other stupid ideas. if you bring a hive of bees any where near my garden you will be wifelss[and probably nutless]". Sooooo I think I may see about putting one out in the hay field just so as I may still eat. Thanks for the links.

21. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    One hen gives off about 140 pounds of manure a year.
    Great fertilizer that will increase yields.

image.jpg
    Chickenitis.

image.jpg

22. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    You would really be surprised how much 'more betterer' you garden and fruit does with bees around. I have three young granddaughters nextdoor on the place, they know to stay back away, but bees are only maybe 30ft from the garden, so that is far enough, bees don't buzz the girls and in fact, I even mow right around the hive and am not bothered or stung. I do put the hives up on 2 high concrete blocks to prevent skunks from snacking on the bees. We do not have bears in our area - yet, so no problem from them. Skunks will scratch on the front entrance of a hive at night and cause the guard bees to crawl out to see what is going on, then the skunks will snack on the bees, their belly is the only part that is easy for the bees to sting, with the hive raised up on those blocks the skunks would have to stand tall to bother the bees, but then the belly would be an opened target for the bees. So, we place the hives up away from moisture, skunks, etc.

Just as a side note here, it was the wife's idea to get the bees in the first place, not mine. Two guesses who ended up doing the actual work and care of the bees. I do use the honey too though.

23. pitw

We have quite a few bees around the yard as it is and hornets by the bushels. I think the black jackets come to feed on the fly's that come because of the livestock.
    Spin if you can train your chickens to eat bugs in the garden they is good gardeners. One year I had the turkeys eating spud bugs which was good. Too much chicken poop will also burn plants. Makes for great tasting pot though.

24. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    A bit of entertainment about catching a swarm. I personally worked alone and didn't take along a camera, cell is just a flip and not really - just remembered, phone was in the house as wife was home, so I don't carry the phone when she is home, she's about the only one that has my number that would be calling in the middle of the day. Anyway, here is a kinda cute Brit girl telling about catching a swarm, but in the end, the swarm left. My guess, same as what the girl suggested, think maybe the queen had already left with some of the bees by the time they got to the swarm. There are better examples of how it is done on youtube, but I liked the accent. whistle:

Edit to add: Just priced a package of bees online. $189.99 from Rural King, there could be private beekeepers selling package or nucs that might be a better option. However, catching a swarm is probably the best way and rescues the bees from probably certain death.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    stonedywankanobe and pitw like this.
  25. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Thanks for the information on bees Lt. It's been awhile since I've read anything on colony collapse disorder among bees. Most articles I read mentioned glyphosate as a possible culprit.
    Pitw , chickens in the garden is a challenge. For me it's timing. Right now the birds are banned from the garden until the seeds come up and the plants get a little bigger.
    The birds do not bother stuff like onions or garlic or even corn as long as it's 4"-6" inches in height.
    Some plants the birds leave alone and other plants they will destroy , like tomatoes and cannabis.
    For some reason though they will not eat squash bugs.
    The biggest help from the birds is killing grasshoppers. We have plagues of them out here.
    We will find out how much the chicken manure helps the pot plants this year as it's the first using bird poop. In the past , We usually use worm casting or fish fertilizers in the hemp garden.
    Temps finally warming up here this week so maybe I will start transplanting peppers tomatoes and pot plants to the great outdoors!

image.jpg
    image.jpg

26. BackwardsEngineeer

BackwardsEngineeer If I weren't a snowflake, I'd have no luck at all Silver Miner

Wilson er I mean Spinal,
    I realize things have changed out there in the land of mile high, but I'm pretty sure the ground is facing the wrong way. Maybe it's just a flashback, carry on...

27. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    Cracker is just practicing his down under look. If you're on a computer you can flip it upright, butt, either way he still looks about the same. :weed:

28. SilverCity

SilverCity Gold Member Gold Chaser

retired aerospace
    Cherry blossoms bring us bees...buzzzzz.

SC

29. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    The new bee box in front. Feeder box is on top and will come off once the bees are doing fine. Box in back on left is an extra in waiting. Hive on right is #1 hive, guess I will have to start numbering them if I keep collecting them.

20170414_121017.jpg

Looks like you'll have to turn your computer sideways to figure it out, looked fine 'til I uploaded it.

30. nickndfl

I like eating chicken, but hate being around them.

Lt Dan, spinalcracker and michael59 like this.
  31. Jarrod32

Jarrod32 Seeker

We are in a similar zone in south central Nebraska. Not ready to get much started yet, because I anticipate another hard freeze or two in our near future. Around mid-May is when we usually put the garden in. But like you, we have started some plants in the house...tomatoes, peppers, melons, squash...

Our strawberries have done extremely well the past couple years...the raspberries haven't really taken off yet, but they look good in the early going this spring.

Beans, corn, lettuce, cucumbers, radishes have all done well the past couple of years. Tomatoes were good two years ago, but only so-so last year.
    For some reason I can't get peas to grow for $#!7 in our garden. Potatoes and peppers have been decent, though not spectacular the past couple years.

And this is the third year since we put our fruit trees in, so I hope we get some production from the apple and peach trees this season.
    Looking forward to this growing season...

32. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    Here is what a just caught swam looks like - my swarm absconded but came back, so I caught it again. This time I sealed 'em inside (after photo) and will keep 'em locked up for a few days, probably three days. I did move them up next to the other hives, so as to keep it better organized. Yes, they have food, water and air. Oh, and the queen is in there, just can't she her in the picture.

IMG_20170415_103142_427.jpg

33. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Jarrod32 , good luck with your garden this year!....what variety of fruit trees did you plant?...
    Lt , good job on the bees Amigo! How much honey do you get a year?...
    San Pedro cacti...
    image.jpg

34. michael59

20 years logging
    I give mine away. Happy to be rid of them. Spouse I just like feeding chickens than pigeons.

pitw likes this.
  35. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    I only took off a little more than a gallon last year. I had anticipated a warmer than usual winter, so I wanted my bees to have something to get them through without having to feed them. Probably could have taken a lot more than I did, but I'm not real experienced at this, so rather be safe. It was warmer and bees came out all winter on warm days, however, there was not much for them other than maybe some tree sap, no flowers.

I see, from that picture of the cacti, you still have a jar full of marbles, I think most of mine got lost somewhere along the way.

36. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

subscribed.

37. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Lt marbles indeed!..my love for marbles started as a kid when we played marbles , made a circle , took our shooters and tried to knock the marbles out of the circle...
    No steelies allowed!..
    We played a similar game with wodden tops.
    I could also walk the dog with my Duncan yo-yo...
    A tray of tomatoes that can't wait for warmer weather!..
    image.jpg

Here's a real deal Mexican landrace sativa...
    image.jpg

And a real deal Bubba Kush.

image.jpg

38. Jarrod32

Jarrod32 Seeker

Just a couple apple and a couple peach trees. They have come along slowly, but look decent this spring. Maybe we'll get some fruit from them this year. One of the peach trees had a lot of peaches on it last year, but just as they were getting started, we got a nasty thunderstorm at just the wrong time and pretty much cleaned it off.

Might plant a couple more of each this spring.

39. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Be sure and like us on FB and subscribe and donate on Patreon.
    There is a monthly gardening newsletter available for two easy payments and one difficult payment.

40. coopersmith

coopersmith for fuck sake.......... Silver Miner

I am about a hundred miles s of the cracker, we know each other in fact, heck we were practially neighbors at one time, live has changed, and on it goes.......

My garden is 4 plots, 60 x 60' each, with a 4 year rotation. I grow on the high plains. it has been manured and run thru twice, and some has been rowed and planted. we use this garden for our home layingby and sales when we have surplus.

20170112_135859(1).jpg

No rabbits.

Oi!

Lt Dan likes this.