1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

What's Cracking In The Garden 2017

Discussion in 'Others-Electronics, Photography, Gardening?' started by spinalcracker, Apr 10, 2017.

1. coopersmith

coopersmith for fuck sake.......... Silver Miner

We planted ahead of this wet spell. Turnips, cabbage, other brassicas, scallions, lots of greens, carrots. 3-5 inches of snow for this weekend, the soil temp here is 61....

Lt Dan likes this.
  2. coopersmith

heres a look at the old cold frame, cracker knows her, same old frame, and a new fence, but an old fence, the rebuild of the one I took down some years ago. I knew wasnt fucking up when I took that fence down. it cost 300 oz of silver.

20170409_153854.jpg

Lt Dan likes this.
  3. coopersmith

volunteers

20170410_143707.jpg

spinalcracker and Lt Dan like this.
  4. spinalcracker

spinalcracker On a mail train. Silver Miner Site Supporter

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Coopersmith , good to see you neighbor. Please give my regards to your family.
    Glad to see that you're still kicking , growing , and stacking.
    We had some good conversations about precious metals about 8 years ago.
    Seen any big hemp farms in your neck of the woods?
    Things are still slow in the garden here. We have snow and freezing temps in the forecast for this weekend.
    That should not come as a surprise as we had 2-4 inches of snow on the 29 of April 2016.
    Corn is up and will have to be covered with some 4x8 trays to weather the cold.
    Otherwise garlic , onions , sunflowers , okra , kale , chard , and lettuce are all emerging.
    More later as the weather warms up.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

stonedywankanobe, andial and Lt Dan like this.
  5. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    We had a short vacation in Florida, over the past few days, got back last night, long trip, short trip, or something like that. While there we did a Lowe's store on the way home. Got a kumquat tree, a couple fig bushes, and a couple kiwi plants. The figs would survive the cold winters, maybe, but all these will be for the sun room I will now have no excuse to get built. I'm sure the indoor garden will have other stuff, but these are supposed to go in it.

The figs we planted last year - outside - got frosted back, but far as I can tell are starting to bud and come back to life. So, don't think figs will really take off and do well here in our climate.

Checked over some of what I had already planted in the garden, some is up, some a little, some a lot. Most is to small yet to get good pictures. I did notice that we have small fruit on most every tree, bees and other bugs, plus wind did their job.

6. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    We have a couple Chocago Hardy that are rated for Zone 5A and B but I have not put them outdoors , yet.
    From my friend Herby...
    image.jpg image.jpg

Lt Dan and andial like this.
  7. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    Those are the type we planted outside last summer. I got a taste of only one fig that grew on one of them. I checked this morning and noticed they are sprouting down close to the base of the plants, but it looks like the cold hardiness of these is for the roots and not what is above ground. This fall I'll try something different, either dig 'em up and pot them - put them in the sun room or maybe even in my wood shop, since I run an electric heater in there to keep my glue and paint from freezing. Or, maybe just pack straw around them in cages, to hold the straw around them.

As for cold here this past winter, can't remember, but I don't think it ever got below 10F all winter.

8. coopersmith

How much snow did you get cracker? We had 30 inches here, w drifts 12 ft tall. Lots of calves lost, and the wheat crop is done. Mashed down by the snow. Most around here was in the boot, w some heading. I have a buddy who is going to try to stand it back up with a hay rake, then swath and bale it. I dunno if it will work or not.

There are a couple of hemp farms in the area, but they arent very big. There is one west of holly, and one between springfield and pritchett. There is a couple of things that are preventing any substantial plantings. the first is lack of processing facilities. The hemp is baled then stacked at the end of the field. Nowhere to take it. The other problem is it is impossible to get crop insurance on hemp. I have contacted the colorado hemp project, and they are interested in having me plant a couple of acres next yr, as I am isolated from stray pollen. I dunno if ill do it or not.

regards, coopersmith

9. coopersmith

I have a buddy who has 2 fig trees in a neighboring town. He gets fruit every yr. He built 2 outhouses, complete with the moon on the door. He puts the outhouses over his trees after they drop leaves in fall, and leaves them on until they start to leaf out.

10. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    I might try something like that, thanks for the idea. Daughter-in-law has about 5 of them planted outside, hers actually look better than mine, but mine are coming back ok. My idea is to build cages for them and stuff straw around them. The way the wind blows here, I'll have to stake the cages/outhouses down, no matter what I do. Wife plans to keep hers in the house.

spinalcracker likes this.
  11. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    Oh geehawd I am such a rednecker sob. Yeah ya all can all go f ur selves. I have used a back hoe to turn over the dirt. Sorry no pretty pictures but I did dig up a tile line; part concrete culvert and part whatever hose but all 8 inch.

Our local problem is that the f'n mist/rain has not stopped. Shit it has been eight thirty days length and you get this shit done and it keeps growing.

life abhors a vacuum..... some day in the way, way, way, future I hope to grow just one PEE plant. yeah I'll piss on the rest but I am looking for that one plant.

12. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Cooper , holy chit Mang , we heard reports about the damage the snow done to the wheat but it's always worse on the ground than the reports say...glad you and the family are safe.
    Something's up with wheat this year. A lot of activity around here at the elevators. More trucks and activity than I've seen in the last 7 years.
    In fact there's a new player in town and guess where this operator hails from?
    Russia.
    That's not a typo.
    This investor lives in the Hamptons but farms in Kansas, Texas , and Colorado.
    I talked to the owner of the feed store and he tells me farmers are hoarding wheat in anticipation of higher wheat prices.
    I asked him why he thinks the prices are going up?
    He got real quiet. Said something about the New Administration and war.
    Fvck.
    The wheat looks really good around here and I bet there's a bumper crop.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

andial, coopersmith and Lt Dan like this.
  13. Jarrod32

Jarrod32 Seeker

Not really gardening as such, but today was tree planting day. The local resource conservation district sells trees for a buck apiece. Just seedlings...but for a buck each, what the heck. But you have to buy them in batches of 25 per species. So...we had 25 Sand Cherries, 25 Buffalo Silverberry, 25 Serviceberry (sometimes called Juneberry), and 25 Honey Locust trees. I also picked up a couple other fruit trees...added a Red Rome apple tree to go with our two Fuji Apple trees, and added a Scarlet Prince peach tree to go with our two Contender peach trees. So we had 102 trees to plant. We didn't get them all...we have 8 or so Honey Locust trees and 5 or so Sand Cherry trees left. But we got around 90 trees in the ground today.

14. gnome

gnome Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

A traditional way to overwinter figs is to wrap them in burlap.

Another trick would be a stone wall, or event just a few big rocks on the north side of the tree to block north wind and catch and re-radiate heat on sunny days.

Also, if you can plant slightly above grade, colder air will fall off the mound instead of pooling near the roots.

In marginal climates, little tweaks can make a big difference.

If I lived where it freezes, I'd be taking cuttings of my figs every fall.

coopersmith, spinalcracker and Lt Dan like this.
  15. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    Pitch those honey locust trees in the trash, thorns on those will puncture a tractor tire, let alone what they will do to feet.

birddog and Rollie Free like this.
  16. Rollie Free

Rollie Free Midas Member Midas Member

We had a locust tree growing by the side of our house. Best decision I ever made was having it cut down. That s.o.b. rained down more gutter clogging crap than you can imagine. Those are trees from the pit of hell.

spinalcracker, birddog and Lt Dan like this.
  17. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Forget those raised bed folks. Save your money , no lumber needed.
    How about this , lowered beds.
    Lowered bed gardening.
    Just getting started with transplanting tomatoes , cukes , melons , greens , and peppers.

andial and Lt Dan like this.
  18. Jarrod32

Jarrod32 Seeker

Got the garden in today, ahead of the forecast thunderstorms the next few days. Just got the seeds planted today. Corn, beans, peas, carrots, radishes, lettuce, cucumbers, onions. We have a lot of plants started inside...watermelon, muskmelon, tomatoes, peppers, squash. Those will go in probably this weekend...after this round of thunderstorms has passed.

19. ToBeSelfEvident

ToBeSelfEvident Gold Member Gold Chaser

Try gardening in Florida with NO RAIN! The %#$@ weather forecasters are just making shit up. 80% chance of rain, 90% chance of rain, huge storm coming this weekend....nothing. Not a cloud in the sky. 95-degree sun wilting the garden, and the neighbor's scorched Sahara literally sucking the life out of my irrigated lawn. We've had one hard rain since early March. I'm hand-watering every other day.

Despite all this, I am ready to harvest a crapload of tomatoes, banana peppers, onions and Ichiban eggplants.

spinalcracker, gnome, andial and 3 others like this.
  20. coopersmith

Hows it everybody, busy time of year here......... Weve still gardening as time allows, planting corn takes precedent many times. all our early plantings are up, and the second round of root crops and brassicas have been sown now. Heat plants like tomatoes and peppers will be planted next week. Right now were waiting for the soil temps to rise, after this cold spell weve had. After the tomatoes and peppers are in well plant our warm weather seed. I dont get in a hurry, no need to try to front-run the weather. Got my summer plant breeding programs lined out and on point as well.

Spinalcracker, i noticed that elevator had been cleaned up, didnt know who had purchased it. I was by there a few weeks ago on a business trip and noticed not much has changed. I like your new house color, that yellow was an eye sore for sure. Im glad to see your getting some use out of the mortuary, and I hope you got the shop area in the east side like you wanted. I would have stopped by but you had loads of cars in front of your place, and we were traveling heavy.

best regards, coopersmith

21. gnome

Yeah, it's a good idea depending on climate.

Lowered beds make sense in areas with low rainfall and/or high winds. A raised bed will lose a lot of moisture to evaporation and be vulnerable to wind damage. Lowered beds will retain moisture better and have less damage from wind.

Lowered beds won't make much sense in areas with heavy rains, unless you are growing crops that are adapted for flooding, such as taro, rice, water spinach (kang kong). Sweet potato might be OK.

andial and spinalcracker like this.
  22. gnome

FL gardening can be a challenge, but when I was there, lack of rain was never the problem.
    How do you like the Ichiban?

23. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    Kale is doing great, but nights are still cool. What I'm enjoying now are berries. Red raspberries are really producing, black raspberries are just starting to ripen, as are the blueberries. Strawberries, at least the kind we grow, are done for this year. Wife did set out, (split the patch), several new plants, she informed me, they will need daily watering. We need rain, big water tank is half empty - pumping well water for most garden plants, tank is for berry bushes - until empty, then switch over to well water.

Out in the orchard, cherry trees are loaded and turning red, apples not doing so great, pears okay, peaches really look good so far. I see wild mulberries are ripening. one bush in the chicken lot dropping berries for the chickens. Fig trees I never thought would make anything, are already double what they were last fall, all new growth except for the bottom couple of inches.

Bee yard is settled in. Number one hive is really cranking, #s 2&3, (new-bees - new caught swarms), are settled in and growing, far as I can tell, I stay out of the hives, unless it looks like something going on that needs checked.

Here's a little video watch CaliKim20 tell you how to grow your tomatoes, works on other plants as well.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  24. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Damn , have I been slacking on this Thread or what?
    Mostly or what.
    Busy as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs and the weeds are winning.
    Everything is in the ground except about 50 watermelon and cantaloupe starts.
    Staggered 3 plantings of corn over 30 days.
    We have been enjoying spinach , kale , chard , mustard greens , radishes , and various edible flowers.
    Chickens are starting to lay more eggs now.
    We planted a ton of sunflowers for the chickens. image.jpg
    My cannabis is either fighting acid rain or a brutal attack of nematodes.
    Apologies for the crappy phone pics.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

stonedywankanobe and Lt Dan like this.
  25. michael59

20 years logging
    You are a lot further than I am. I have 60 some tomatieos transplanted so far with 60 or so more to go. Have 2 early japenos 8 serrano's pile of yellow and green zukeenies of which I used the back hoe to make the berms. And, I still have not got the turnips and parsnips in, no lettuce so I am way behind. even the corn is still in the bottle.......

and now it is raining so weeds are on the way, yeppers fun times ahead.

andial and spinalcracker like this.
  26. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    M59 , you must be in Montana somewhere.

Corn knee high by the 4th of July.
    image.jpg

And hemp sky high by July.
    image.jpg

One has to arise early to deal with such complex issues as ozone depletion.
    image.jpg

27. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    Cracker, there's a cat in your corn!

I once mailed a post card from a small town in Montana, I drove home from there in about 3 days, with a few stops on the way. Post card got here about two weeks later.

I'm picking some kind of berry every day now. Blueberries, red and black raspberries, and wife is picking cherries, think she is canning most of those. She put some of the berries I picked in the freezer for later, when it's freezing outside.

As for the garden, watering some of it every day, we've only had a quarter of an inch of rain in about the last two weeks, corn is curling up, it's quickie corn, so it doesn't get real tall, only like 60 days to nature. Peas are filled out and ready to eat. I usually don't make it to the house with peas I pick. The get eaten raw. The few potatoes I planted are looking good, nice tall tops, hope we get a few potatoes. I've hilled them until I'd have to haul in dirt if I wanted to heap more dirt up around them.

28. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Lt , the cat is a good mouser and earns his keep.
    Nothing better than Eating fresh peas off the vine or maters or melons or or...
    In the 90's the next 10 days so we be finishing up planting melons , flowers , and odds n ends.

image.jpg image.jpg

michael59 and Lt Dan like this.
  29. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Planting watermelons today....

image.jpg image.jpg

Lt Dan likes this.
  30. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    Took a few pictures of stuff around here today.

P1010021.JPG

Blackberries - before I picked.

P1010024.JPG

31. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Just guessing but it seems to me less weeding has to be done out west, am i wrong?

32. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    Wife did most of the weeding, I did help, but Cracker grows weed in his. Ha!

33. ToBeSelfEvident

ToBeSelfEvident Gold Member Gold Chaser

We are getting a lot more rain now. Tomatoes are almost done. We've been getting 25-30 tomatoes a day for the past month. A mole wrecked a few plants by tunneling through the roots.
    The Ichiban eggplants are very nice, much milder than the large Black Beauty variety, and you don't have to leach the toxins out. We often just cut it into cubes and saute as a side dish. Milo Yiannopoulos would probably enjoy growing this variety.
    [​IMG]

34. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    A weed is a plant out of place.
    A weed is a plant who's virtues have yet to be discovered.

Lt , your berries are causing "berry envy syndrome" over here.
    Do you filter your rain water?

Less weeding and more leaves to rake.

image.jpg image.jpg
    Did I build that fence correct?

andial likes this.
  35. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    Nice fence, Cracker, looks fine to me from my side.

No filter on that rain water tank, gettin kinda full of rain gutter crap and algae, need to do a clean on it next time it gets empty.

Good news is, we go 1.1 inches of rain over night. Won't be needing to use the tank water for a few days. Tank is also pretty much on the full side. Bad news is, I can not handle the tank alone to tip it up and the hole is to small for me to fit in. Doubt my granddaughter would want to crawl down in there and do it, wife is also not able to fit down in there, and even if she could, she wouldn't, allergic to mold and such. I looked down in it the other day, has a small tree trying to grow. I do have a gas powered trash pump, I could use to pump it out, then hose it out with well water. I should paint it dark green or maybe get some John-deer green tractor paint for it. Not sure if paint would stick, worth a try.

I been busy as a bee here, with all the berry picking.

P1010026.JPG

36. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Thanks for the kind words Lt. This was only the second fence I've ever built. Over 500' and every 5th post was a 4x6 and 4x6's at the corners.
    6 screws per picket.
    We get sustained winds of 40-60 mph all day several days of the year so the fence better be solid.
    There is also a double wide gate that I built but I won't show a photo of it cause it kicked my arse and it shows.
    But yeah, my neighbor loves the looks of my fence.....

image.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  37. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I love rain.

Lt Dan and spinalcracker like this.
  38. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Speaking of rain , there are a few leaks in my gutters.
    I wonder if that Flex All that is advertised on tv is any good at repairing leaky gutters?

image.jpg

Lt Dan likes this.
  39. michael59

20 years logging
    darn, I have garden envy now. Was out surveying the garden and found my serranoes and jalapenos grazed down and pulled up....Stupid goats were inside so? Garden Gnomes?

Lt Dan, andial and spinalcracker like this.
  40. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    M59 , you can borrow mine if that helps....

image.jpg

michael59 and Lt Dan like this.