1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

What's Cracking In The Garden 2017

Discussion in 'Others-Electronics, Photography, Gardening?' started by spinalcracker, Apr 10, 2017.

1. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

You mean "flex seal" yes that stuff works great used it around a leaking skylight.

Lt Dan and spinalcracker like this.
  2. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    Wife keeps complaining something is eating some of her flowers. No, we do not have goats, would like a few to graze the woods, except, they would probably eat my wild raspberry plants and a few other wild plants I have growing down there. ;) Rabbits, I suspect, to many of them around here, the birds have started working on the raspberries, popped a couple with my BB gun this afternoon.

3. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    Thumpper....him and that dammed-it Bambi...

I thinks I was just out smarted by the billies....haven't never seen a gnome that moved...BUT I would not put it past them. Think I will chain a dog near by...dam sure aint gona put a goat on a tire over there.

Well I gots ta gets.....seems I took a bunch of havo-dam-nearo's and need to pay for them. Gal told me she don't do this for "money" and my retort was "Oh you do this so you won't knit?" She said..haha...and I quote...."I Quilt." Good thing I know where she lives...UM? that don't make me a stalker does it?

4. Jarrod32

Jarrod32 Seeker

Do you just toss the whole sunflower head to them, and let them pick it clean? That is what we do...

Garden is coming along nicely. All we've harvested so far are some strawberries, lots of radishes, and some lettuce for fresh salads.

[​IMG]

The beans, peas and corn came up a bit sparse. Not a very good stand at all. So, replant in the rows where nothing came up, and now it looks good with a staggered crop coming in. Tomatoes, peppers, and melons all in good shape in the early going, as well.

5. spinalcracker

spinalcracker On a mail train. Silver Miner Site Supporter

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    @J32 , yes , we toss them the heads and it keeps the birds entertained for awhile...
    J32 , you must be in the south with all that harvest already...
    We are Zone 5A or 5B so I need a small hoop house to get things started..
    There are watermelons , cantelopes , and maters in there somewhere...

image.jpg image.jpg

Silver, Cigarlover, gnome and 4 others like this.
  6. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    Use your egg shells in your garden. I usually just pitch mine into the garden, not one to over thing stuff.

Pyramid, andial and spinalcracker like this.
  7. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Lt , we crush up our eggshells and feed them back to the chickens....(:

Silver, stonedywankanobe and Lt Dan like this.
  8. Jarrod32

Jarrod32 Seeker

We crush ours and work them back into the garden.

9. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    Friday I told the wife she had some corn ready to be picked, she said ok. However, she didn't pick any. Saturday morning I went out to feed the cats, open up the chicken doors, check on the bees, etc., walked around to check the garden, a coon had got in over night and ate some of those ears of corn I had told the wife about. Guess he only got about a half dozen ears cuz, we got the rest of what was ready. Ate some for lunch for the Forth. Saturday, I set 3 live traps for the coons, Sunday morning I caught one. I have a place I can release them where they will never find their way back, place kinda attracts the buzzards. I reset the traps and caught another Monday. No more this morning, I'll leave them out a few more days or until I catch a skunk, then I may leave them out until they have time to air out.

corn husk.jpg

10. Pyramid

Pyramid Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Garden 2017 002.JPG Harvesting radishes, a small bowl of Strawberries every 2-3 days and lots of greens...spinach, lettuce, kale etc.. Can't wait until the garlic and onions are ready...our stash from last year didn't last long enough and the store-bought stuff (even organic) isn't the same. Battling with potato bugs that have also impacted some of the nearby eggplant and pepper crops. Otherwise, most of the garden looks good...no shortage of rain here lately. Good luck out there folks.

11. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Lt , if you put enough Head Country BBQ sauce on the meat those coons are pretty good eating , a lite greasy but hey , what's a little grease?...
    Our corn will not be ready for another 45 days...
    Tomatoes are finally getting red , picked our first cucumber , plenty of kale and chard and lettuce for salads..
    It's not to early to be planning a fall garden..

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

12. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    Remember, we grow some of that Quickie Corn, it only get about 3ft tall with the leaves pulled up. It's also usually ready in about 60 days, ears are not all that big, but large enough, I only need a couple to satisfy. Grand kids usually waste some of theirs, that is, unless one of us finishes theirs off. We got some in early this year and were not even sure it would produce, so we were happy we got any from the small patch. We do have a larger patch on the way. Plus, we had an area I had to roto till a second time as the weed had taken over. I checked a couple days ago and there is more corn and beans coming along in that area.

As for the coons, did not catch any more after those two. Son - next door - had trapped out several earlier when the strawberries were on. Coons will clean out strawberries, green and all, overnight, if they find them and they will, if they are around.

13. Jarrod32

Jarrod32 Seeker

Cucumbers are starting to produce nicely...put up a dozen pints of dill pickles today, along with a batch of strawberry jam.

upload_2017-7-9_21-20-29.png

upload_2017-7-9_21-21-59.png

upload_2017-7-9_21-22-58.png

14. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Damn , now I want some strawberry jam on my toast...
    J32 , I like your red multipurpose cucumber basket.....one can put a lot of eggs in there.
    We harvested our garlic and they are hanging and curing.
    Onions are next.
    Nothing like grilling fresh squash , onions , garlic , and tomatoes along with a porterhouse....
    It's already the middle of July and we are planning a Fall garden....
    Any of you fellow gardeners plant a fall cover crop and if so what's your choice of cover?....

image.jpg

15. ToBeSelfEvident

ToBeSelfEvident Gold Member Gold Chaser

My summer garden is done, though I still have some green tomatoes that refuse to ripen - what's that about? We still get the occasional ichiban eggplant, but the garden has largely been taken over by marigolds. I planted marigolds around the tomatoes last year as a companion plant. But the marigolds were still very small when they tomatoes had finished producing. This year, the marigolds started coming up early, even before I planted my veggies.

I'm thinking I should pull up the marigolds before they flower or I will just have a marigold garden from now on.

16. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    Cover crop? Does snow count? I have been thinking of turnips, peas and stuff. This year if I ever get my habaneros to habanero I am going to take some hay bales make a line on both sides and cover with a Plexiglas or just glass. I have had to start this garden from scratch every year and this year did not go so well. My squash is just getting going sweet pumpkins have spouted. I peppered the berms with sweet corn but them tomatieos need to be thinned already.... I planted bought tomatoes and they ain't doing worth a hoot. IDK, looks like all I am gona have are the lil gree tomatieos for now.

Stupid rain stayed so late I just could not get anything done without leaving ruts.

17. lumpOgold

lumpOgold Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

I do a winter cover crop here in the land of year-round gardening. Vetch/mustard, oats, fava beans, and some nice sweet peas, just mow it all down before it can bloom or go to seed and it makes great mulch that you can plant in.

Cigarlover, Lt Dan and spinalcracker like this.
  18. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    Wife told me I needed to set a trap or two as her second crop of sweetcorn is coming on. she didn't want the coons to get in this batch. I did, but no coon showed up for a meal.

I've worked at cleaning out the old canes from raspberries and blackberries. sticky job, gloves are in order for that, also long pants, arms got scratched a bit anyway as I didn't wear a sleeved shirt. Blackberries are thornless, but raspberries are not and the blackberries are still producing, but raspberries are done, except that the red raspberries will be coming on again in the fall. Funny crop, some come on in the spring and then again in the fall, while the black and purple raspberries only come on once.

A friend had a pile of horse poop with wood chips in it. Offered it to me for the hauling, mostly piled that in the garden area for spreading around the berry bushes, then covering it with straw we got from our farm fields. Gonna save a bit of that for the blueberries.

Those figs I thought had frozen out both have small figs on them. Gonna do something else this winter to try to prevent them from freezing back all the way to the ground. Bank some straw around them, maybe, with something over the top of the bales to keep 'em warmer until about the end of March or when ground and air warm up.

Sun room is done except for trimming out around the door and windows. Woke up in the night around 3AM, got up and went out there, watched the night sky for a while, then went back to bed and slept on through the night. Oh, wife did move plants out there, so I wasn't alone - however, I do not talk to the plants.

19. Pyramid

Went to a cherry orchard and hand-picked 2 gallon buckets in ~1.25 hours. Took a little more time than that to pit every single one of them with that little doo-dad in the pic, but it was well worth it.

Cherries (1).JPG

Leafy Greens have transitioned to green veggies. Legumes and Cukes are all the rave now. Made 3 quarts of pickles today. Good luck out there folks!

Garden 2017.JPG

20. Jarrod32

Jarrod32 Seeker

Final tally for the weekend...another batch of strawberry jam done, enough strawberries left over to have them on waffles (with whipped cream), another two dozen pints of pickles, enough peas for a couple meals, and the first picking of beans yielding enough for a package for the freezer.

[​IMG]

upload_2017-7-16_22-46-14.png

upload_2017-7-16_22-48-7.png

A couple watermelons and at least one acorn squash are getting close; the beans and peas will be coming fast and furious for a while now; we have cucumbers coming out of every orifice right now, and the tomato plants are loaded with green tomatoes that don't seem to want to ripen. They will come along soon enough, though...

21. Jarrod32

Jarrod32 Seeker

Tomatoes just don't seem to want to ripen for some reason. Everything else is coming along nicely...
    Here's today's take:

upload_2017-7-22_22-21-21.png

Ended up with five packages of beans in the freezer, another 10 pints of pickles canned, and the squash were delicious for supper.

Not pictured: another container of strawberries and the other half of the cucumbers. More pickles and a batch of jam tomorrow....

22. Pyramid

Spring stuff and greens tapering off. Cukes, beans and snap peas peaking. With the exception of kidney beans; made a superb salad of all garden vegetables: cukes, cauliflower, red cabbage, snap peas, onion, and chives. Going to be overwhelmed with tomatoes starting in a week and looking forward to making salsa and pasta sauce! Good luck out there folks.

Garden Salad.JPG

Silver, Cigarlover, Lt Dan and 4 others like this.
  23. hammerhead

hammerhead Not just a screen name Gold Chaser

I could burn out my like button on this thread.

michael59, Cigarlover, Lt Dan and 2 others like this.
  24. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    My tomatoes are staying green too...):
    So I made some fried green tomatoes , damn were they good!...
    Squash is producing like crazy. I take my extra veggies and drop them of cat the post office for people to help themselves...
    Greens are done except Swiss chard and kale..
    Watermelons are finally putting on but no cantaloupes yet..
    Corn is finally tasseling and the sunflowers took over the garden this year , corn and sunflowers will be harvested for the chickens , except a little bit of Mexican sweet corn...
    Jalapeños and other peppers were a bust with only a few plants flowering..anyone have any good tips for growing peppers in Zone 5A-B?..I started them from seeds in the hoop house and then transplant outdoors , where they proceed to stall out..hmmm.
    My legal cannabis plants are doing ok.
    I'll try and get some photos soon.
    And lastly , I recommend watching RFDTV . It's a good show on a things farming and pretty informative.
    Christina Loren is the meteorologist and also reads the news.
    image.jpg image.jpg

25. Pyramid

Garden 2017 003.JPG

Subset of the most recent harvest. Snap peas did well for us, but are all but done; green beans never really got going and are getting overrun by winter squash - oh well. Cukes still ripping and pickling cukes still producing but probably about done. Harvested another red cabbage and 1 potato plant that yielded a whole bunch of Scooby-snack-size taters just for the hell of it. Some domesticated tomatoes coming in, but the heirloom varieties are lagging a bit...going to have our hands full with them in a couple weeks. Melons and Winter Squash are looking to be bumper crops as well. Our herb garden that includes basil, chives, oregano, mint, rosemary etc. has kicked ass as well. Good luck out there folks.

26. Jarrod32

Jarrod32 Seeker

First cantaloupe of the season, to go with more beans and cucumber. We are picking and eating an acorn squash every few days now. A few cherry tomatoes are coming along, and finally starting to see hints of red in the tomatoes. I was starting to think we had inadvertently planted a non-ripening variety of tomatoes....

upload_2017-8-5_11-24-42.png

spinalcracker, andial and Lt Dan like this.
  27. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    It does my heart good to hear about the progress of everyone's Victory Gardens!...
    We are at 39 degrees N latitude and July was unseasonably warm and wet with temps in the 100's and rain fall amounts of 3-5 inches in 24 hours , unheard of out here in the rain shadow...
    We enjoyed our first corn yesterday.
    Cantaloupes are coming on strong.
    Plenty of kale and Swiss chard.
    It's time to start thinning out the garden and getting prepared to plant a lot of onions , garlic , and some greens for the fall garden and cover crop.
    Happy farmin'!.....

Lt Dan and BackwardsEngineeer like this.
  28. Cigarlover

Cigarlover Gold Member Gold Chaser

I didn't have much of a garden this year so love seeing everyone elses. I did some basics. garlic basil and a few tomatoes. The big addition this year were 80 more varieties of figs. The main reason I didn't have time for a garden. I'm up to about 120 varieties now and about 150 trees overall all in containers except 1.
    Also trialing this new variety of paste tomato. I love to make sauce and salsa so hopefully these taste as good as they produce. Largest paste tomato I have ever grown. If the flavor is there it will be the last paste tomato I ever grow too. For some reason I cant add images from my computer today. :(...
    Thanks to everyone for sharing the beautiful photos. LT Dan, please stop dropping your coons off at my place. Haven't had a coon in 8 years and all of a sudden I am over run with them this year. So far they only eat the cat food though.

29. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

How about a name?
    How is it supposed to compare to Roma in size, shape, water content, taste & disease resistance?
    And what is it with figs?

30. Cigarlover

The tomato is abbatista. The person I bought them from got them from someone who had been growing them for 30 years, always saving back the best and biggest for seeds ,allegedly.. Water content is supposedly very low and thus far I haven't seen any disease this year. I will let you know on taste as soon as they ripen.. I started late.

Figs are my newest addiction.. The fruit of the gods allegedly :). So many varieties and flavors to choose from but the most important thing is finding figs that will ripen in your zone.. If you can start early in a greenhouse or you live down south you can grow just about anything. San Diego or southern Ca is the best place in the US as its the closest to the med climate..
    Thus far I see the fig community as being fairly small in the US but over the last few years even they are gaining in popularity. My taste preference leans towards the berry flavored figs but even within that category there are lots of different flavors. For instance, Hardy Chicago is a very good fig and cold hardy. Have had one in the ground here for 7 years now. A couple of years it has died right back to ground level but the next year always throws out new shoots and ripens figs.. Nice berry flavors for sure.. I also have an unknown purple fig from Nyack NY and that has berry flavors but also tastes like a sweet cherry. Delicious fig.
    This year I tried a Red lebanese from the bekaa valley in Lebanon. Been growing it for 3 years and deep rich berry flavors with a thin skin.. Favorite for me so far this year. Then of course there are Figs from, Spain, Italy, portugal, Greece, croatia and Turkey as well as many other countries. At least 1000 different varieties. Some need the fig wasp which is only in Ca in the US right now. The med has it everywhere. Common figs do not need the wasp
    One fig that many consider the best is called Black madiera. I's a late ripening fig but you can get it to ripen up to zone 6 at least if you do the fig shuffle in the spring. Basically that's bringing it in and out in spring. Bring it out in the morning when it warms up and take it in at night. Pain in the ass with as many trees as I have so I am looking at putting up a greenhouse to get an early start on the figs that need it.
    So other figs like Peters honey have an amazing honey flavor. Basically tastes just like honey. Celeste figs from Louisiana have more of a sugar flavor. Oregon prolific and a few others range from brown sugar to molasses.
    Eventually I will narrow it down to 60 or so varieties that I want to keep for myself but for now I am trialing lots of them to see what grows best in this area as well as see which ones I like best.
    The other day I had a french fig called Longue d'aout. Nice melon and peach flavor. What I find interesting is that so many figs taste like other fruits.
    In Western China there is a fig tree that is documented to be 500 years old.
    Yes I love figs and they are easy to propagate as well. basically grab a cutting and stick it in dirt and a new tree will grow. :).

31. Cigarlover

Figured it out.. Here's the abbatista, Also a few Peters honey and a Longue D'Aout

Attached Files:

32. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Cigarlover , thanks for those fig photos..
    My two Chicago Hardy's are ready to up pot again. I will try and take a few photos.
    Here is an African Angolese...I hope it's not sideways , it's right side up when I post it...

image.jpg

33. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    My Chicago figs I have out in the back yard both have at least one fig on this year. Second year for them, thought they had winter killed, but have come back twice the size they were last year. The two I have in the sun room are Nero figs we bought at a Lowe's store in Florida this spring. Wife got those in larger pots and now they both have new growth but no figs. From the picture, I'd guess they will be rather close to black when they are ready, if they ever have figs. Picture I found on the net...

fig-nero.jpg

In other news, peaches are ripening and falling off the trees, can't eat 'em fast enough. Also, cantaloupe and watermelon doing great this year with all the rain. Tomatoes ripe and going to waste out there. Wife has been kinda sick and not doing much gardening. I've done some, but been very busy this summer and not had much time to see to it myself. Onions and garlic pulled and drying. The few potatoes I planted have mostly been dug and some of them eaten already.

In my searching for images, I found this one of how someone mulched their fig for cold winter weather. I've lots of straw from my farm field, also some five foot chicken wire, I may try something like this, this winter to keep mine from freezing all the way to the ground.
    mulch.jpg

34. Cigarlover

Spinalcracker she's a beauty!!!.

Lt Dan, I got no peaches this year. I saw that nero fig for sale at Tractor supply and many other commented they saw them for sale this year as well. Not sure what they really are. The box stores tend to stick a label on things and sell them. But, if its a good fig and grows then it doesnt really matter LOL.
    A couple years back when we had those minus 35 wind chills I tried protecting my hardy Chicago. It died back to the ground anyway. The next year it came back strong and still gave me fruits. Last year it did not die back and its looking really good. I'll post a pic tomorrow. Once it is established in ground its really hard to kill the roots. If -35 wind chills wont kill it nothing will.
    Hardy Chicago should start ripening here by the end of the month and will ripen figs right up to the first frost. Last year every fig on the tree ripened for me.
    Sorry to hear your wife isnt feeling well. This weather is kinda crazy for Aug here. Very cold and damp.

35. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    Looks like the weather is going to continue with wetter and cooler than normal. What makes it feel more like fall than summer.

Those Nero figs actual name on the label is Higuera Nero (Ficus carica 'Nero'). Also says for zone 7 - non-hardy in zones 1-6. We'll be keeping them in the sunroom in pots. According to the label - "This fruit does not need a pollinator." Their cold hardness is supposed to be down to zero, it can get a little colder than that here.

spinalcracker likes this.
  36. Cigarlover

Nice out there today. The afternoon heat really helps the figs along. One of my tomatoes is turning red as well. Hopefully be able to give them a taste this week.

I saw that Nero available at Tractor supply in Chillicothe. There is a Nero fig from Italy it's called Nero 600. It was found at an elevation of 600 meters so is very cold hardy and supposedly very good as well. There are a couple of fig forums out there and we discussed this at the beginning of the year. Not sure what the fig really is. Big box stores or their suppliers are famous for slapping a tag on anything and calling it whatever. For most people, its not an issue. For some of the serious collectors out there, well, they like to know exactly what they have. LOL.
    I have several unknowns varieties that people have sent. I figure if immigrants went through all the trouble to bring a cutting to the US then it must be a decent fig.. I havent been disappointed yet.

The fig wasp is the pollinator and the only place with the wasp are parts of California. In the US anyway. Some are experimenting with trying to get it into parts of the southern US. Even on figs that do not need the wasp (Common types) the fruit tends to get larger and takes on different characteristics when they are pollinated. I have a collector in Ca sending me seeds from pollinated common types. I'll get them started this week. Its a real crap shoot if you will even get an edible fig out of them but I like to grow shit so its fun.

Couple shots of my hardy Chicago. An overall shot then a closeup of one branch.. Notice on the one branch how it branches off into 4 shoots? Early in the year when a branch has 5 leaves on it you can pinch that tip off the top of the growing shoot. This will cause that branch to spread out and send out more shoots. It also helps to get them to fruit more. In another pic you can see the bottom of the tree. 2 year old shoots versus this years shoots.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      163.8 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      143.7 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      150.7 KB
      Views:
    spinalcracker and Lt Dan like this.
  37. Cigarlover

005.JPG Another longue D'auot almost ready.. Getting soft and you can see it really drooping down now.. Today and tomorrow are supposed to be warm so I may let it go until tomorrow evening.

spinalcracker and Lt Dan like this.
  38. Cigarlover

Sweet Diana is an Unknown fig. Very sweet last year.. This is year 3 for her so will see if she gets any better.. I liked it but have plenty of sweet figs.. I'm trying to wait 5 years on all of them to give them a fair shake and see what they can really do. After that I will decide which ones I am keeping.
    Next up is the Red lebanese from the Bekaa valley.. Its a keeper. LOL. Only year 3 but its already made the grade.
    Last year i didnt do an up potting. It cost me a years worth of growth.. Most of those figs were in 1 or 2 gallon pots and they are way to small. Now I start in 7 gallon minimum and really like going larger than that the first year.

Attached Files:

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      103 KB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      3.2 MB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG