1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

What's Cracking In The Garden 2017

Discussion in 'Others-Electronics, Photography, Gardening?' started by spinalcracker, Apr 10, 2017.

1. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

You mean "flex seal" yes that stuff works great used it around a leaking skylight.

Lt Dan and spinalcracker like this.
  2. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    Wife keeps complaining something is eating some of her flowers. No, we do not have goats, would like a few to graze the woods, except, they would probably eat my wild raspberry plants and a few other wild plants I have growing down there. ;) Rabbits, I suspect, to many of them around here, the birds have started working on the raspberries, popped a couple with my BB gun this afternoon.

3. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    Thumpper....him and that dammed-it Bambi...

I thinks I was just out smarted by the billies....haven't never seen a gnome that moved...BUT I would not put it past them. Think I will chain a dog near by...dam sure aint gona put a goat on a tire over there.

Well I gots ta gets.....seems I took a bunch of havo-dam-nearo's and need to pay for them. Gal told me she don't do this for "money" and my retort was "Oh you do this so you won't knit?" She said..haha...and I quote...."I Quilt." Good thing I know where she lives...UM? that don't make me a stalker does it?

4. Jarrod32

Jarrod32 Seeker

Do you just toss the whole sunflower head to them, and let them pick it clean? That is what we do...

Garden is coming along nicely. All we've harvested so far are some strawberries, lots of radishes, and some lettuce for fresh salads.

[​IMG]

The beans, peas and corn came up a bit sparse. Not a very good stand at all. So, replant in the rows where nothing came up, and now it looks good with a staggered crop coming in. Tomatoes, peppers, and melons all in good shape in the early going, as well.

5. spinalcracker

spinalcracker On a mail train. Seeker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    @J32 , yes , we toss them the heads and it keeps the birds entertained for awhile...
    J32 , you must be in the south with all that harvest already...
    We are Zone 5A or 5B so I need a small hoop house to get things started..
    There are watermelons , cantelopes , and maters in there somewhere...

image.jpg image.jpg

6. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    Use your egg shells in your garden. I usually just pitch mine into the garden, not one to over thing stuff.

Pyramid, andial and spinalcracker like this.
  7. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Lt , we crush up our eggshells and feed them back to the chickens....(:

stonedywankanobe and Lt Dan like this.
  8. Jarrod32

Jarrod32 Seeker

We crush ours and work them back into the garden.

9. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    Friday I told the wife she had some corn ready to be picked, she said ok. However, she didn't pick any. Saturday morning I went out to feed the cats, open up the chicken doors, check on the bees, etc., walked around to check the garden, a coon had got in over night and ate some of those ears of corn I had told the wife about. Guess he only got about a half dozen ears cuz, we got the rest of what was ready. Ate some for lunch for the Forth. Saturday, I set 3 live traps for the coons, Sunday morning I caught one. I have a place I can release them where they will never find their way back, place kinda attracts the buzzards. I reset the traps and caught another Monday. No more this morning, I'll leave them out a few more days or until I catch a skunk, then I may leave them out until they have time to air out.

corn husk.jpg

10. Pyramid

Pyramid Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Garden 2017 002.JPG Harvesting radishes, a small bowl of Strawberries every 2-3 days and lots of greens...spinach, lettuce, kale etc.. Can't wait until the garlic and onions are ready...our stash from last year didn't last long enough and the store-bought stuff (even organic) isn't the same. Battling with potato bugs that have also impacted some of the nearby eggplant and pepper crops. Otherwise, most of the garden looks good...no shortage of rain here lately. Good luck out there folks.

11. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Lt , if you put enough Head Country BBQ sauce on the meat those coons are pretty good eating , a lite greasy but hey , what's a little grease?...
    Our corn will not be ready for another 45 days...
    Tomatoes are finally getting red , picked our first cucumber , plenty of kale and chard and lettuce for salads..
    It's not to early to be planning a fall garden..

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

12. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    Remember, we grow some of that Quickie Corn, it only get about 3ft tall with the leaves pulled up. It's also usually ready in about 60 days, ears are not all that big, but large enough, I only need a couple to satisfy. Grand kids usually waste some of theirs, that is, unless one of us finishes theirs off. We got some in early this year and were not even sure it would produce, so we were happy we got any from the small patch. We do have a larger patch on the way. Plus, we had an area I had to roto till a second time as the weed had taken over. I checked a couple days ago and there is more corn and beans coming along in that area.

As for the coons, did not catch any more after those two. Son - next door - had trapped out several earlier when the strawberries were on. Coons will clean out strawberries, green and all, overnight, if they find them and they will, if they are around.

13. Jarrod32

Jarrod32 Seeker

Cucumbers are starting to produce nicely...put up a dozen pints of dill pickles today, along with a batch of strawberry jam.

upload_2017-7-9_21-20-29.png

upload_2017-7-9_21-21-59.png

upload_2017-7-9_21-22-58.png

14. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Damn , now I want some strawberry jam on my toast...
    J32 , I like your red multipurpose cucumber basket.....one can put a lot of eggs in there.
    We harvested our garlic and they are hanging and curing.
    Onions are next.
    Nothing like grilling fresh squash , onions , garlic , and tomatoes along with a porterhouse....
    It's already the middle of July and we are planning a Fall garden....
    Any of you fellow gardeners plant a fall cover crop and if so what's your choice of cover?....

image.jpg

stonedywankanobe and Lt Dan like this.
  15. ToBeSelfEvident

ToBeSelfEvident Gold Member Gold Chaser

My summer garden is done, though I still have some green tomatoes that refuse to ripen - what's that about? We still get the occasional ichiban eggplant, but the garden has largely been taken over by marigolds. I planted marigolds around the tomatoes last year as a companion plant. But the marigolds were still very small when they tomatoes had finished producing. This year, the marigolds started coming up early, even before I planted my veggies.

I'm thinking I should pull up the marigolds before they flower or I will just have a marigold garden from now on.

16. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    Cover crop? Does snow count? I have been thinking of turnips, peas and stuff. This year if I ever get my habaneros to habanero I am going to take some hay bales make a line on both sides and cover with a Plexiglas or just glass. I have had to start this garden from scratch every year and this year did not go so well. My squash is just getting going sweet pumpkins have spouted. I peppered the berms with sweet corn but them tomatieos need to be thinned already.... I planted bought tomatoes and they ain't doing worth a hoot. IDK, looks like all I am gona have are the lil gree tomatieos for now.

Stupid rain stayed so late I just could not get anything done without leaving ruts.

17. lumpOgold

lumpOgold Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

I do a winter cover crop here in the land of year-round gardening. Vetch/mustard, oats, fava beans, and some nice sweet peas, just mow it all down before it can bloom or go to seed and it makes great mulch that you can plant in.

18. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    Wife told me I needed to set a trap or two as her second crop of sweetcorn is coming on. she didn't want the coons to get in this batch. I did, but no coon showed up for a meal.

I've worked at cleaning out the old canes from raspberries and blackberries. sticky job, gloves are in order for that, also long pants, arms got scratched a bit anyway as I didn't wear a sleeved shirt. Blackberries are thornless, but raspberries are not and the blackberries are still producing, but raspberries are done, except that the red raspberries will be coming on again in the fall. Funny crop, some come on in the spring and then again in the fall, while the black and purple raspberries only come on once.

A friend had a pile of horse poop with wood chips in it. Offered it to me for the hauling, mostly piled that in the garden area for spreading around the berry bushes, then covering it with straw we got from our farm fields. Gonna save a bit of that for the blueberries.

Those figs I thought had frozen out both have small figs on them. Gonna do something else this winter to try to prevent them from freezing back all the way to the ground. Bank some straw around them, maybe, with something over the top of the bales to keep 'em warmer until about the end of March or when ground and air warm up.

Sun room is done except for trimming out around the door and windows. Woke up in the night around 3AM, got up and went out there, watched the night sky for a while, then went back to bed and slept on through the night. Oh, wife did move plants out there, so I wasn't alone - however, I do not talk to the plants.

19. Pyramid

Went to a cherry orchard and hand-picked 2 gallon buckets in ~1.25 hours. Took a little more time than that to pit every single one of them with that little doo-dad in the pic, but it was well worth it.

Cherries (1).JPG

Leafy Greens have transitioned to green veggies. Legumes and Cukes are all the rave now. Made 3 quarts of pickles today. Good luck out there folks!

Garden 2017.JPG

20. Jarrod32

Jarrod32 Seeker

Final tally for the weekend...another batch of strawberry jam done, enough strawberries left over to have them on waffles (with whipped cream), another two dozen pints of pickles, enough peas for a couple meals, and the first picking of beans yielding enough for a package for the freezer.

[​IMG]

upload_2017-7-16_22-46-14.png

upload_2017-7-16_22-48-7.png

A couple watermelons and at least one acorn squash are getting close; the beans and peas will be coming fast and furious for a while now; we have cucumbers coming out of every orifice right now, and the tomato plants are loaded with green tomatoes that don't seem to want to ripen. They will come along soon enough, though...

21. Jarrod32

Jarrod32 Seeker

Tomatoes just don't seem to want to ripen for some reason. Everything else is coming along nicely...
    Here's today's take:

upload_2017-7-22_22-21-21.png

Ended up with five packages of beans in the freezer, another 10 pints of pickles canned, and the squash were delicious for supper.

Not pictured: another container of strawberries and the other half of the cucumbers. More pickles and a batch of jam tomorrow....

22. Pyramid

Spring stuff and greens tapering off. Cukes, beans and snap peas peaking. With the exception of kidney beans; made a superb salad of all garden vegetables: cukes, cauliflower, red cabbage, snap peas, onion, and chives. Going to be overwhelmed with tomatoes starting in a week and looking forward to making salsa and pasta sauce! Good luck out there folks.

Garden Salad.JPG

23. hammerhead

hammerhead Not just a screen name Gold Chaser

I could burn out my like button on this thread.

24. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    My tomatoes are staying green too...):
    So I made some fried green tomatoes , damn were they good!...
    Squash is producing like crazy. I take my extra veggies and drop them of cat the post office for people to help themselves...
    Greens are done except Swiss chard and kale..
    Watermelons are finally putting on but no cantaloupes yet..
    Corn is finally tasseling and the sunflowers took over the garden this year , corn and sunflowers will be harvested for the chickens , except a little bit of Mexican sweet corn...
    Jalapeños and other peppers were a bust with only a few plants flowering..anyone have any good tips for growing peppers in Zone 5A-B?..I started them from seeds in the hoop house and then transplant outdoors , where they proceed to stall out..hmmm.
    My legal cannabis plants are doing ok.
    I'll try and get some photos soon.
    And lastly , I recommend watching RFDTV . It's a good show on a things farming and pretty informative.
    Christina Loren is the meteorologist and also reads the news.
    image.jpg image.jpg

Lt Dan and stonedywankanobe like this.