1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

What's the "best" ratio of rice to beans for optimal nutrion and/or survival?

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by Nickelless, May 17, 2011.

1. Nickelless

Nickelless If coffee is gold, I own Fort Knox Midas Member

What's the "best" ratio of rice to beans for optimal nutrition and/or survival?

I've read ratios ranging from a 2-to-1 ratio of rice to beans to a 50/50 split, and since I'm trying to balance out a few items in my preps inventory, I thought I'd throw this question out, especially since I've been doing some pretty heavy buying of rice and beans the past couple weeks since I got my last check from my now-former job. Anyone have any links?

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. obilly

obilly Silver Member Silver Miner

i eat R&B at a 2:1,,,,but have prepped at a 1:2?????? seems to be a bean shortage? sam's club here carries no dry beans. publix stop stocking goya beans. sweetbay stocks nothing larger than 16oz's. allot of the 16 oz are now 14 oz. on line the super buckets were on BO. only the cuban store still had 4 lb bags. they were able to order me 100 lbs of great northerns at $1.00 a lb, and 100 lbs of chick peas at $1.19 a lb. the owner of the store was warned by his supplier," hold on to your beans, product is scarce, prices going up".,,, back on topic, the carbs, protein, and sugar in rice and beans make them supper foods, i would eat them as you like them and not by some ratio. the most important thing about eating R&B,s is to have some pig to serve with them. As a note there is still plenty of rice to be had, i do not think it will stay that way.....

3. Nickelless

Yeah, Sam's Club here only has Great Northern beans. I went by Kroger last night and saw that they had 1-pound bags of pinto beans marked down to 79 cents a pound with the Kroger Card (my card doesn't have my name linked to it), and all the other dry beans were more on a per-pound basis, so I went to all three Krogers in town and bought every 1-pound package of Kroger pinto beans. I ended up with 140 pounds of beans for $110.60. That price was even cheaper than getting seven 20-pound bags of pintos at Walmart.

4. goldie40

goldie40 Silver Member Silver Miner

we have one rice for every two beans with the plan being that many days we'll have beans with cornbread or bean pizza, bean burritos, bean soup and whole wheat bread, some nights we may have just eat a rabbit leg and rice pudding as we had many Sunday nights during WW2. I plan to get another 500 lbs of rice when i get near a Sams or BJs, up here none of them sell dry beans.

5. obilly

obilly Silver Member Silver Miner

off topic:

what i am dealing with now is how to cook dry beans in under 4 hours.,,,,,??????, i was thinking of putting them thru the grain mill to reduce cooking time,,,, pls if anyone has a way to cook dry beans in less than 4 hours let me know,,,??????BIP (black eyed peas) can be cooked in 3 hrs. my last years garden was planted with BIP's from publix that were vacuum packed in y2k and produced 3 bushells of pods in 200 square ft. all i can say now is that beans beans the magical fruit?...thanks Nick i was waiting for a bean thread?.

6. newmisty

newmisty Duppy Conqueror Midas Member

Pressure cooker.
    Recommended Cooking Times for Dried Beans and Legumes
    Food Cooking Time (in Minutes)
    Azuki beans 9 to 13
    Black beans 13 to 15
    Black-eyed peas 9 to 11
    Chickpeas (garbanzos) 20 to 25
    Cranberry beans 15 to 20
    Gandules (pigeon peas) 15 to 17
    Great Northern beans 12 to 15
    Kidney beans, red or white 12 to 15
    Lentils, green, brown, or red 8 to 10
    Navy or pea beans 10 to 12
    Peas, split green or yellow 8 to 10
    Pinto beans 8 to 10

Read more: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/cooking-beans-in-your-pressure-cooker.html#ixzz1Mcgavqsq

7. Unca Walt

Unca Walt Midas Member Midas Member

Sometimes you see someone's answer to someone else's problem, and it is elegant.

8. joe_momma

joe_momma Silver Member Silver Miner

Well said - picked up a pressure cooker last month for $12 (Amazon - Hofritz 6 qt) - totally eliminates the issue with beans and peas!

9. newmisty

Then of course the PC can be used to preserve and can goods too.

10. Nickelless

Obilly, if you want to reduce the cooking time on dry beans, soaking them overnight should do the trick. Also, if you take an amount of water and then add three-fourths of that amount of rice and let it stand covered but not cooking for several hours (just set it aside and don't put it on the stove), the rice will absorb the water and cooking time will be greatly reduced.

I'm glad you mentioned planting beans as well, although as a rule you shouldn't vacuum-seal any beans you plan to use for planting, because beans, being seeds, can die and render them unable to reproduce if they're vacuum-sealed (that would happen to the rest of us if we were vacuum-sealed as well, but you get my point :biggrin:). I've been setting aside two cases of quart-sized mason jars filled (but not vacuum-sealed) with each type of bean I'm storing so I can plant each bean type later.

11. gnome

gnome Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

Pressure cookers are awesome, but beware of aluminium...yes, it does leach into your food and cause all sorts of toxicity in the body. Seeing as you are going to be using the pressure cooker for decades and it is going to save you big-time on cooking costs, it is worth investing in top-quality stainless steel.

Pressure cooked short grain brown rice is exceptionally tasty! (Lundberg rice is good, most of the brown rice in grocery stores is revolting).

12. newmisty

Yes and big PC's are expensive, I buy used. Make sure the seals are good!

What's your recipe for the rice gnome?

13. GodspeedMetals

GodspeedMetals Gold Member Gold Chaser

Depends on how you're eating your R&B.

If you're adding a stew to it, then a 1:2 R&B ratio is good - you don't need to add as much meat to the meal

If you're adding it to a chicken or beef stock (more watery), then a 2:1 R&B ratio is good - you don't want to have a mouthful of wet beans in your mouth, rice has to be more prominent.

If you're just eating it with various other vegetables and sides, then 2:1.

That's how I do it and I'm the Rice effin' Mastah.

newmisty likes this.
  14. newmisty

I'm sorry I wasn't more specific, but what are you using for a cook time?

15. Nickelless

Try adding more spices if you're worried about either the beans or rice becoming more prominent. If you focus first on creating the flavors you want, which in my opinion is the most important factor, you can always go back later and tweak the texture of what you're cooking.

[​IMG]

16. newmisty

Are you as organized with everything else you do? I need to start taking notes. :biggrin:

17. Nickelless

I'm working on it. ;) My desk doesn't really have files--it has PILES! :biggrin:

18. newmisty

Oh ok, we must have gone to the same school then. :d

I have hills and my wifes desk...mountains! lol

19. goldie40

goldie40 Silver Member Silver Miner

I'm about 2 beans to one rice as we won't be eating rice with the beans all the time, many meals will be bean burritos, bean soup,baked beans, bean pizza ect. Rice will also be eaten seperate on occasionally with things like rice pudding. we'll pick up another 3-5 hundred pounds of rice this summer anyway .

20. mnmom

mnmom Seeker Seeker

One big thing to remember is food fatigue. R&b are good and very healthy but to eat a lot of it you'll need a good assortment of spices. Also don't forget the texture of food. Emotionally you need variety in the consistancy of what you're eating to make it pleasing to the palatte. Rehydrated veggies will add a nice crunch or making a pilaf type recipe with some nuts will add variety.

21. GodspeedMetals

I agree but don't spice up the rice too much. I think the variety in meat, beans, veggies, fish and sauce (not all at once) help. If you spice up rice too much, it may become "too rich" and more than your stomach can handle in a single serving. Rice is a staple food for the majority of people on Earth. Most people eat it plain white or brown.

Once every few weeks, I like to make a curry with thick sauce that's not so spicy, but looks like it (from the brown sauce and carrots). It definitely fills you up and you'll have left-overs for the next day.

Brown rice
    carrot chunks
    potato chunks
    sliced beef
    sliced onion
    broccoli
    Mung, Adzuki, or kidney beans
    ready made mild or hot curry sauce

If you go to an Asian store to get your ready-made curry, READ the LABELS. I have found that the Korean and Japanese curry mix brands have MSG in them. So opt for non-MSG Thai curry mix.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  22. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    I found a nice 4qt stainless steel pressure cooker at Goodwill.

$6! a screaming deal - otherwise they're $50!

Usually, they need a rubber ring and maybe the weight... ACE hdwr has it all.

23. Nickelless

I just peeked into a couple corners of my pantry and I have at least 55 quarts of spices--yes, quarts. I've got cayenne, cumin, crushed red pepper, cinnamon, dehydrated jalapenos, onion, garlic powder, basil and oregano, and probably others I can't think of at the moment. I've also got...well, I'm really not sure how many quarts of dehydrated vegetables I've got because I didn't go into that part of the bunker just now. But dehydrated vegetables could definitely add texture depending on how long or short they're cooked. Dehydrated tomatoes are nice and chewy when they're cooked just a little, and the flavor is really intense. I've got enough heat-laden spices for a while, so I'm planning to double up on adding more garlic and onion soon. And the one thing I have surprisingly little of is black pepper. Time to make a Sam's Club spice run this weekend.

24. mnmom

mnmom Seeker Seeker

Lol... With 55 quarts you should be set. I certainly didnt mean over doing the spices at all just making sure you have something on hand to add interest. I'm prepping with little ones in mind who are picky eaters so I've adopted the 365 plan. I'm sealing pre made recipes into Mylar bags with 365 breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and desserts 3 nights a week. Ive even got bread mixes made up.

It works well for me as I can make a meal and gauge my families response. If they like it I can make up several bags worth or if it was only okay I know to pass. This way before shtf I know I've got things in store and won't run out of anything to make a meal. Also god forbid anything happen to me I don't want to leave my husband clueless as to what he should do with a ton of wheat and 800lbs of rice and beans.

It was just something I thought of, as just a couple weeks ago, i saw a friends preps and they were sadly short on spices, salt, sugar, and important for the kids, fats.

25. Nickelless

I also have at least 20 quarts of Ovaltine, which would probably go over well with young'uns. I put the Ovaltine in mason jars as well just so they will be airtight. Ovaltine can also be stirred into oatmeal or cold cereal. You can also stir jam into oatmeal. At the moment I've got about four or five cases of blackberry jam, my absolute favorite. Stuff like that can help break up the food monotony for kids.

26. GodspeedMetals

I stocked up on cans (and boxes) of organic baking cocoa

http://www.equalexchange.coop/cocoa

I'm guessing it costs twice as much as good ol' fashion Ovaltine (if not more)... but it's great stuff. And you're right, something to spice things up when things go boring is key. The Mrs makes great choco balls with this stuff with maple syrup, cayenne pepper, almond milk.