1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Who had a "Gut Feeling" about Bitcoin?

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by Fatboy, May 22, 2017.

1. OverOver

OverOver Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter

Which exchange are you using for ByteBall?

2. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/ I use that to check prices on all of 'em. Is that not an accurate price they show?

I never knew that. I've always been told you can't buy a gift card with a gift card whenever I had tried to.

Actually it's even weirder than that, as it was Kmart that acquired Sears but they kept the Sears name.

OverOver likes this.
  3. Dude

Dude Midas Member Midas Member

I never got anything.

4. Joe King

Really?

If I were you, I'd check into it a little more, because the data shows it was sent to your wallet.
    ...and it shows $5060.38 in it. IMHO, well worth investigating.

https://blockchain.info/address/158iTXT8utndZC1EtwRoinVcib4ibJc5wd
    Dude's btc.PNG

If you can't figure it out, perhaps @Solarian could give you some ways to figure it out?

Edited to add: Did you ever let your wallet finish updating? Saw this later post of yours.

If not, let it finish and get your $5k, Dude......

5. Dude

Will be checking all my machines...will let you know, thanks.

6. Joe King

I really hope you find it, $5k is a nice windfall.
    ...and perhaps having forgot about it is the best thing that coulda happened. I mean, had you got it originally, you'd have prolly gotten that ounce of Ag with it. As it stands now, you could sell one for a tidy sum and keep the other as insurance just in case it keeps going up. Which it probably will do. Almost $300 since last Tuesday alone.

Hopefully you do still have that laptop.

7. Dude

Got a shortcut of wallet.dat dated 5/27/2013. I'm pretty sure I can find the actual file on a backup...

8. solarion

solarion Gold Member Gold Chaser

That wallet.dat file is worth exactly 2 bitcoins.

9. Joe King

Well, we all know what Dude's doin' on his Sunday off..... franticly trying to recover his btc he forgot all about. lol
    ...and if you are able to recover them @Dude, do I get a "finders fee" for reminding you about it before you ended up discarding that old laptop? lol

BTW, I wonder if @Area51 would advise him to just delete his wallet.dat file? lol

10. Dude

Certainly.

Joe King and solarion like this.
  11. Joe King

Really? I was mostly jo-king when I posted that, but if you want to I'd certainly take ya up on it.
    ....and if you do that, I'll keep track of it and send back to you half of everything it gains going forwards. Ie: just to give something back to you for being such a nice guy about it.

I'm just glad you were able to be reminded about it. Good luck on your btc quest!

12. solarion

That'd be right decent of you Dude.

What a great story this is. Those coins haven't moved since January of 2013.

13. OverOver

Thanks, I was using Cryptowatch for price checking. What I was getting at was which exchange
    can you buy/sell Bytecoin? I have Coinbase.

14. solarion

[​IMG]
    http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bytecoin-bcn/#markets

You can quickly find where to trade any particular alt coin this way. Just type its name in the search field at top right.

Of the exchanges listed, I personally trust Cryptopia the most. Poloniex is a bit shady(imo) and alcurEX hasn't been around long enough for my comfort, though the proprietor seems very determined to build a lasting stable platform.

Keep in mind the first rule of trading cryptos is DO NOT LEAVE YOUR COINS ON EXCHANGES. That said, if you do leave coins on exchanges, leave them in quantities you can afford to lose and leave them on exchanges you trust most.

This particular coin has just had a massive run up, as so many alts have, and I'd be cautious about jumping into it, but YMMV. That supply @ nearly 183 billion is also massive, so when this thing turns down...don't be there.

OverOver likes this.
  15. Joe King

How 'bout this one? https://shapeshift.io/#/coins

Bills itself as: The Safest, Fastest Asset Exchange on Earth
    Trade any leading blockchain asset for any other. Protection by Design. No Account Needed.

Hadn't used it, but it sounds good.

16. solarion

Shapeshift is a project initiated by well known bitcoiner Erik Vorhees. Last I checked it appeared interesting, but the traffic volume was still so low that the spreads were huge and you couldn't reliably swap currencies there.

He did an interesting interview with Max Kaiser that you may want to look up if you're interested in finding out more.

17. OverOver

Newbie Questions: Why is the first rule of trading cryptos is not to leave them on the exchanges? I did read where an exchange
    got hacked and I guess everything collapsed. I have Coinbase. To me it looks like I can spend right from my Coinbase Bitcoin
    wallet. If that's correct, is there a reason that I shouldn't? On my Bitcoin I'm up just over $200. I've never spent a Bitcoin in my
    life and want to see how it works. So, JMBullion seems like a good start. I listened to Jeff Berwick interview Mayer and he mentioned
    Blockchain.info was getting slow. Is this a website that hosts wallets? How bout coinbase to Blockchain.info to purchase stuff? Mayer
    says use Armory.

18. solarion

If you don't hold it, you don't own it. That applies to cryptos too. By storing your bitcoin on coinbase you're entrusting them with the private keys to YOUR bitcoin. At the end of the day, he who holds those keys has control of the bitcoin in the corresponding wallet. If coinbase gets hacked or someone there decides to steal your bitcoin, you have no recourse.

Yes blockchain.info offers wallets, but they've had numerous security issues. Treat your cryptos like you would gold bullion and you'll be fine. If you wouldn't mind someone you don't know and that you've never met storing your gold bars for you, then go right on ahead trusting coinbase with your bitcoin. Armory is great and probably the most secure wallet out there, but it requires a full node as it's simply a front end for bitcoin core with beefed up security features. Mine is currently eating up around 140GB not including armory itself. It also takes quite awhile to download the entire blockchain from scratch. Suggest you instead start with Electrum, which has decent security and tons of features. Most importantly the private keys are stored on YOUR computer, where you can back them up and keep them secure.

https://electrum.org/#home

Running either is like being your own bank...it's addictive.

OverOver likes this.
  19. platinumdude

platinumdude Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Anyone bought ethereum? Some say it can make bigger gains than bitcoin.

20. solarion

I have traded in Ethereum extensively in the past...mostly on the short side. Yeah it's up 3000% or so YTD. Last time I shorted it was around 25ish.

I hate it because the creator Vitalik Buterin is an asshat and because they split their own chain to hand a bailout to a defunct group of fools call the Dao. To me this violated the fundamental rule of blockchains, that being that they're immutable so I will not take a long postion. The basic problem was that they had(have?) fundamental security holes in their key feature "smart contracts", which at the time would be better described as really really dumb contracts. A hacker could drive a truck through those holes and a hacker did just that...which is why the bailout happened. They were warned again and again before hand, but Vitalik just dismissed all the warnings.

I do however stack Ethereum classic(ETC) which is actually the original Ethereum chain operated by people who resent the chain being branched to provide a bailout for the Dao fools.

OverOver and platinumdude like this.
  21. solarion

Zeitcoin @ 1035Btc(2.6m FRNs)...there's your poor man's rocketship boiz! :)

22. Joe King

Every time I try to download a wallet from their site, it never finishes and turns red in the download window. Have D/Led several others with no problem. Come back to theirs and same issue every time.

BTW, I tried ShapeShift.io and it seemed to work just fine. Took a few minutes, maybe 10 or so, but all in all was a good experience. Worked as advertised.

23. solarion

Strange, I just downloaded the windoze 2.0.1.7 wallet no problem. It's only like an 18mb file. Do you mean the blockchain snapshot? Got it from here:
    http://zeit-coin.net/beta/zeitcoin-qt.exe
    Good to know, I'll have to give it a look again at some point.

24. Joe King

I just tried it again and it worked this time.

25. stonedywankanobe

stonedywankanobe Gold Member Gold Chaser

Glad I dug through old threads and posted a link to that transaction so you could joke around and get some free shit.

Then act as if it was all your doing. Personally i wouldn't accept anything from Dude if he offered first, and the fact that you "joked" about a "finder's" fee is just bad form. IMHO

26. Joe King

Well, in all honesty I was just joking about it. I'd just be happy that he actually got them. I wish everyone on here were in his position of suddenly finding they got $5k worth of stuff they didn't know they had. Even @Area51
    ...and yes, you dug up the thread, but I am the one that drew his attention to it and showed him proof positive that his btc was in fact transferred to his wallet.

Edited to add:...and to show that I'm not in this to make any coin from other forum users, I recently bought some btc for another forum member for no up charge. I just wanted to help him get in.

27. solarion

Not him! He's a hate-r. lol

28. stonedywankanobe

stonedywankanobe Gold Member Gold Chaser

I posted a link directly to that transaction on purpose, as i never forget anything. You read 2 post and seen dollar signs after checking the numbers. You can't bullshit me bro.

Joking about someone giving you money is you putting it out there for fear that Dude wouldn't mention it.

Not hard to figure and like I said, bad form Mr.

29. Joe King

Well, think what you want because most people do anyways. Just remember, my user name is joe king. Joking, get it? Sometimes I will take liberty with it.
    ...and what makes you think he'd have even seen the link you posted? Do you click on every random link someone posts? IMHO, there's little chance he'd have seen that without my having drawn his attention to it by making sure he got an alert about it. If you had wanted to make sure he saw it, you'd have done the same. Anytime you want to make sure someone gets an alert, put an @ in front of their username.

30. OverOver

Thanks, Mayer talked of a friend who lost $1.5 million in Bitcoin wiped out with Blockchain.info. Some sort of DOS attack plus
    the guy only had a two letter password(?)

31. solarion

Yeah, he said something to the effect that the guy had security like he was guarded $100 worth of goods and then when the value exploded into the 7 figure realm he still only had that same $100 worth of security.

Storing that much bitcoin in a web wallet is insane, but people do it anyway. I only use web wallets for mobile devices and even then I've never stored more than a couple dozen bitcoins at one time on them. Don't like having them in wallets that I don't have the private keys to.

OverOver likes this.
  32. Joe King

Especially him. Why? Because on one hand he'd be convinced it's worthless and be tempted to delete it, while on the other hand he'd be faced with the reality that it is worth $5k. Because not even he can deny that there is a very real market for it.
    ....and it would induce the mother of all cognitive dissonance's in him. lol

33. platinumdude

platinumdude Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

34. solarion

Coinbase is also deep into the data mining of their user's private data to comply with Know Your Customer "laws". I wouldn't have anything to do with them or bitstamp at this point.

That's why I advocate swapping your cash in hand for bitcoins face to face through libertyX or local bitcoins and then transmitting them to your own wallet on your own computer with your own encrypted and backed up private keys. Then if you must move some portion to exchanges to dabble in alt coins only use exchanges outside the "land of the free". Some exchanges have even gone so far as to block American customers because the federal regime has been pressuring them to do so.

35. Joe King

Know anything about bittrex?

From their TOS: 2.1 Eligibility. Bittrex may not make all of the Services available in all markets and jurisdictions, and may restrict or prohibit use of all or a portion of the Services from certain states, territories, or jurisdictions (“Restricted Locations”). At this time, Restricted Locations include, but are not limited to, several U.S. states: AK, AR, CA, CT, FL, HI, ID, IA, KS, KT, LA, MD, MI, MS, NC, ND, NE, NH, NV, OH, OK, PA, SD, TX, VT, VA, WA, WY, and PR.

Why only a little over half the States? Any idea?

36. solarion

No idea what's going on with them at this point. I really don't even bother with US based exchanges any more. They ask entirely too many questions and are constantly changing to attempt compliance with ever morphing FinCEN gibberish.

Always got a kick out of it when bitcoin doubters here and elsewhere would make comments like "if bitcoin was a threat to government then government would be attacking it". Meanwhile gumbymint attacks every crypto exchange everywhere. The safest ones seem to be the ones that are way outside the control of the overbearing busy bodies in the District of Corruption.

37. Joe King

I signed up and all they wanted was a user name and email.

They're trying to make sure no one skimps out on capital gains when their $20 turns into $20million. Payin' it works in a similar way as mafia protection money does.

38. solarion

I have an account there too, though I don't think I've used it in forever. The issue usually revolves around funding an account. All the exchanges that deal with direct fiat pairings have the same issues.

As to the protection racket, I think you'll find that even if you pay it you won't be protected from anyone or anything. If the exchange is hacked or if the operator is a scammer, the USG isn't going to bail you out. They'll just say it's not "money" and move on. ...of course it's "money" on tax day. Funny how that works.

I have used c-cex and poloniex over the years and both are US based. I generally only interact with them via an API though, so I forget about them. Don't really trust them either so I don't leave much there.

Available platforms from the software I use to automate:
    [​IMG]

Edit: Okay maybe I'm full of crap. lol I just logged in to bittrex to find I still have a balance there. Maybe I've got it confused with that Floriduh based exchange that shut down.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  39. Joe King

I haven't funded it yet, but you're saying when I do fund it, that's when the scrutiny starts? I'd prefer to avoid that if possible. BTW, I'd only be funding it with a small amount of btc, not USD. Does that make a difference, not using dollars and then only trading in small amounts? Like $20-$50 at a time?
    ...and sorry for all the questions, I'm kinda new to the exchanges like bittrex. Until now, I've bought and held. No trading, pure speculation.

Yes, funny that.

40. solarion

No, bittrex is fine as far as I know. They're using USDt(US dollar tether) markets. I had them confused with some other exchange.

Looks like my last trade there was August of last year, though I'm not sure why I shut down the scalper bot that was trading, looks like it was doing fine shaving spreads on ETC/BTC.

Joe King likes this.