1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Who's going to pick the crops?

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by mtnman, May 8, 2017.

1. mtnman

mtnman Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Retired Shipyard Machinist
    I too grew up farming. 2 acres of tobacco, 80 acres of hay and 250 acres of silage. We got paid 10 cents a bail for picking up 100lb bails and stacking them on a trailer then unloading the trailer into whomevers barn was buying it. Tobacco was worked for the privilege of living in my parents house. Silage was cut and blown into the neighbors silo to feed her herd of Charolais cattle. I worked there also. Fed cattle every morning before school. Kids nowdays are soft.

Mujahideen, gringott, Howdy and 2 others like this.
  2. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

Yep. Being a dairy operation spreading shit on the hayfield was a once a week chore. I loved running the shit spreader!
    I got to pick which John Deere I wanted so I always picked the 4520. Nice and comfy and smooth shifting that was a really nice tractor. I would make damn near a whole day of filling up and running over to the field.
    Good times! . . . :2 thumbs up:

TAEZZAR and Hystckndle like this.
  3. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

Most jokes are aimed at a minority or a majority, sexist or downright cruel.
    If you think about it, the more offensive a joke is, the funnier it is.
    Comedians are a sick lot !!
    I have been criticized for my humour, because sometimes, like nick, I will purposely push the limits, just to piss off someone.
    When you lose your sense of humour, you lose a lot !!
    Fuck'em if they can't take a joke !!!!

Howdy and mtnman like this.
  4. Howdy

Howdy Silver Member Silver Miner

Joke em if they can't take a fuck! Humor is always at someone's expense. On TV humor is almost always directed at White males. When White males direct the same at others they can't seem to take it. Grow skin I say!

gringott, mtnman, Irons and 1 other person like this.
  5. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Thank you, f'n asshole.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  6. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

Well fuck you very much, I resemble that remark !!!!!!!!!!

Uncle, mtnman, nickndfl and 1 other person like this.
  7. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    Another gem from the woodpile report, right on topic:
    Berrien County is the southwestern corner of Michigan, bordering on Indiana, with a population of 89,000 in 1940, today about 155,000. Migrant workers picked fruit, cherries, strawberries and did seasonal work in packing plants. Many, perhaps most, were bankrupt farmers or displaced sharecroppers, hard workers with a wide range of competences, drastically underemployed in such work. They were eagerly recruited by expanding and newly created defense industries when war came, a little more than a year after this photo was taken.

[​IMG]

TAEZZAR likes this.
  8. TAEZZAR

Great photo. I like the car hood as a wind barrier.
    In 1962 North American Aviation, Autonetics Division, was recruiting draftsmen from colleges to work nights, on the Minuteman Missile program. That's how I got started in drafting & design.

gringott likes this.
  9. bb28

bb28 Silver Member Silver Miner

I got an e-mail yesterday from the Abominable Loser Diane Feinstein including:

NEW LEGISLATION

Feinstein Introduces Bill to Shield Farmworkers from Deportation (May 3, 2017)

“Despite their significant contributions to California’s economy and communities, farmworkers are now a priority for deportation under this administration’s shameful policies. We simply must protect the families who help put food on our tables.” To read the press release, CLICK HERE.

bb

TAEZZAR likes this.
  10. TAEZZAR

Not so- Fein- Stein, puts a new meaning to JAP = Jewish American PUTZ !!

11. tom baxter

tom baxter back from 2004

Retired now
    A work for the social security scheme makes sense I agree, but I can only imagine what government would do with such. They tried it down here some years back and the young participants just refused to play the game. They would show up for the first few days then just slack off. It encouraged a lot to transition onto a disability pension, easy to get if you know how to game the system.

12. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Force people to work or starve or go to jail. Close the loopholes in the disability system or any other so it cannot be gamed. Time to stop the freeloaders.

13. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

Silver stacker
    Walmart ain't gonna like that.

latemetal likes this.
  14. bb28

bb28 Silver Member Silver Miner

Not defending the freeloaders, but in a real free market system, employers are forced to pay a living wage -- i.e. if someone cannot sustain themselves on a wage without outside assistance, they will not be able to afford to work or will die trying. Paying illegals cash under the table in order to sustain low food prices is also not a solution as they inevitably get subsidized by taxpayer dollars, directly or otherwise. I think we've hashed this discussion a few times here, but farmers often cannot afford liability insurance for native workers. There has to be a way you can hire someone to pick fruit for you without having them fall, sue you and take every last penny even including your land to pay for the incident.

bb

Mujahideen likes this.
  15. Ragnarok

Ragnarok I'd rather be Midas Member

Don't make me plant my own food. 'Cause I will!

gringott likes this.