1. Metals try to capitalize in market weakness with dollar weakness ie choppy
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Thur Morning! Gold is down 1.3 to 1248. Silver is flat at 1757. Crude +16 to 4820. The USD is up 17 to 9964.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 3/18/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1230.20-- UP 28.8 Silver $17.41-- UP 49 Oil $49.31-- UP 82 TICS USD $100.11 -- DOWN 100 tics Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE 2017 $1299.09 (1), SAE $20.54 (20)

Why am I getting so many popups lately?

Discussion in 'Ask Questions about our site..' started by MrLucky, Jun 10, 2014.

1. MrLucky

MrLucky Silver Member Silver Miner

Gambling man
    Why am I getting so many popups lately? It seems like when I change topics, a new popup appears for something. Is this something new? Maybe it's an FF problem? Anyone else having this happen?

2. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

nope, good here,

it is going to be malware on your computer imo,

I had that at one time and had to clean the computer,

it sucked, as there was a bunch of rubbish in there from various sites

and I am really careful about what I click on, it still happened

windoz7, FF, and mcsoft security essentials

3. MrLucky

Gambling man
    I do notice that some words are now blue and underlined. When I hover over them, they show a popup window. Like now the word popups in the subject title is blue and underlined. I know a website that has this action and it's real annoying. You have to watch carefully where you cursor is at all times. Did vbulletin get updated recently?

I went to some other sites and the problem is only on gim2. Also when I just logged in this time now I have a green checkmark on every section asking me if I want to suscribe/rss feed to that section.

I think it's something here.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  4. MrLucky

Gambling man
    A little update for Scorpio and others.

Not sure if it was really malware or not, but the problem seems to be gone.

I loaded and ran MalwareBytes. It found 40 instances of "potentially unwanted behavior" as it called it. All were related to a game I downloaded from Google a few days ago. I uninstalled the game and let MWB quarantine everything it found. I also changed a security setting in FF to not allow page redirects. Heaven knows why that was not checked in the first place.

so far, so good.

Oh, name of the problem is called friendchecker. It's mostly an annoying ad program. It doesn't seem to cause any other problems. It chooses key words, like "register" "your account" and so on. It turns the words blue and puts a double underline under them (like a link). If you hover over the word, it shows you where you would be going if you were to click on it. No problem if you don't click.