1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Wildfires tear through California wine country; 20,000 evacuated

Discussion in 'Coffee Shack (Daily News/Economy)' started by Goldhedge, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    I wonder if the muzzies are starting fires??

Wildfires tear through California wine country; 20,000 evacuated
    • By ANDREA MILLER
    Oct 9, 2017

Wildfires in California wine country

Raging wildfires in Northern California have destroyed at least 1,500 structures and forced the evacuation of 20,000 residents, officials said today. Three people have died from the fires.

Fourteen fires are burning across eight counties, including Napa, Sonoma and Yuba. Altogether, 57,000 acres have been devastated.

[​IMG]
    A firefighter covers his eyes as he walks past a burning hillside in Santa Rosa, Calif., Oct. 9, 2017. Jeff Chiu/AP

Ken Pimlott, the director of the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, said the fires started around 10 p.m. local time Sunday.

With the flames sweeping through entire communities, some area hospitals have been evacuated. Evacuations were also issued for surrounding counties that are under threat, according to the Napa Valley Sheriff's Office.

Pimlott said firefighters are concentrating on saving lives rather than battling the blazes.

The National Weather Service reported strong winds in the San Francisco Bay Area, intensifying the infernos as they tear through businesses and homes.

The National Weather Service issued a red flag warning for the counties most at risk. The warning means conditions are critical.

Strong winds, relatively low humidity and warm temperatures can lead to extreme weather, according to the National Weather Service.

Cal Fire confirmed that the Tubbs fire in Napa Valley has burned 20,000 acres of land and the Nuns fire in Sonoma has destroyed 300 acres.

[​IMG]
    The remains of a car sits near the Fountaingrove Inn Hotel as it burns at rear in Santa Rosa, Calif., Oct. 9, 2017. Jeff Chiu/AP

The Atlas fire, which is just south of Lake Berryessa in Napa Valley, has scorched 5,000 acres since it started.

The causes of the fires are still under investigation.

[​IMG]
    Flames consume a home as an out of control wildfire moves through the area,
    Oct. 9, 2017, in Glen Ellen, California. Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

[​IMG]
    Flames ravage a home in the Napa wine region in California, Oct. 9, 2017, as multiple wind-driven fires continue to whip through the region. AFP/Getty Images

Meteorologist Mike Nicco of KGO-TV in San Francisco has been tweeting updates on the fires.

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 5.37.03 PM.png

Marin County said on its official Twitter page that it's been overwhelmed with calls from residents.

Churches and community centers are opening their doors to families seeking refuge from the fires.

[​IMG]
    Getty Images
    The remains of fire damaged homes after an out of control wildfire moved through the area, Oct. 9, 2017, in Glen Ellen, California. more +

[​IMG]
    Josh Edelson/AFP/Getty Images
    A firefighter monitors flames as a house burns in the Napa wine region in California, Oct. 9, 2017, as multiple wind-driven fires continue to whip through the region. more +

[​IMG]
    ABC News
    A map shows the areas of California threatened by wildfires as of Oct. 9, 2017.

[​IMG]
    Jeff Chiu/AP
    Trees burn behind houses in a residential area in Santa Rosa, Calif., Oct. 9, 2017.

Silvergun likes this.
  2. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

At least 11 dead and 100 injured as wildfires ravage California's wine country: Thousands flee homes as blaze spreads and leaves orange glow over Disneyland
    • Fourteen large fires ripped through California, destroying 1,500 homes and businesses as of Monday night
    • Sky above Disneyland turned orange as Anaheim Hills burned, while a Hilton was destroyed in Santa Rosa
    • At least 11 people have been killed, including a married couple aged 100 and 99 who could not escape
    • A fire chief said that nearly every one of Sonoma County's fire resources is being used, but it just isn't enough
    • Governor Jerry Brown declared a state of emergency for Napa, Sonoma and Yuba counties

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4964696/Ten-killed-sky-turns-orange-California-wildfires.html#ixzz4v6TLJwDD
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Silvergun likes this.
  3. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

And yet California wants to write the emissions rules for the rest of the country.

Usury and the_shootist like this.
  4. searcher

A boiling river of WINE flows through devastated California wine country as residents return to apocalyptic scenes after wildfires kill 17 - while 5,000 flee another inferno in the home of Disneyland
    • Fires across California have killed 17 people in the north and forced 20,000 people to evacuate their homes
    • Nearly 150 people are still unaccounted for and some 2,000 buildings have been destroyed by the blazes
    • A series of fires that flared up north of San Francisco on Sunday are among the deadliest in the state's history
    • In Southern California, most evacuation orders were lifted after a fire destroyed 14 buildings, mostly homes
    • A monster Canyon 2 blaze cast an orange glow over the Disneyland theme park in Anaheim late Tuesday night

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4969206/Californians-return-destruction-wildfires-kill-17.html#ixzz4vD6ZcL3F

Silvergun likes this.
  5. mtnman

mtnman Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Retired Shipyard Machinist
    I feel for victims of natural disasters but in the case of California I can't seem to feel sorry for them.

the_shootist likes this.
  6. searcher

Reduced to ashes: Shocking aerial images capture the devastation wrought by California wildfires as the death toll rises to 23 with nearly 300 MISSING and 20,000 forced to flee their homes
    • Fires across California have killed 23 people in the north and forced 20,000 people to evacuate their homes
    • New photos show the apocalyptic destruction in the area, where ash snows down on devastated communities
    • Around 285 people are still unaccounted for and some 3,500 buildings have been destroyed by the blazes
    • A series of fires that flared up north of San Francisco on Sunday are among the deadliest in the state's history
    • In Southern California, most evacuation orders were lifted after a fire destroyed 14 buildings, mostly homes

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4972034/Satellite-pictures-capture-scope-California-wildfires.html#ixzz4vIRn3jOW

Silvergun likes this.
  7. Silvergun

Silvergun Silver Member Silver Miner

Land Surveyor
    Thanks I appreciate that. There are good people behind enemy lines (politically) in California effected by this natural disaster, please show some respect.

Luckily, my house is not in the required evacuation zone at the moment, but we bugged out Monday early just to be safe. Ended up going back in that night, but its been pretty apocalyptic in the area. I have family, friends, co-workers and professional peers in the area that have lost a lot and some have lost EVERYTHING. I dont give a crap how well prepared you are if a fire rolls in at 2am while your asleep your preps are bye bye. Theres parts of Santa Rosa that look like Hiroshima 2.0. Its a terrible tragedy. We are keeping our fingers crossed that the winds do not change again if so, my house is going to be in serious trouble. We have a bag packed for each of us and most important valuables in a fire safe just in case. Grocery stores are picked over, long lines for gas, etc. I have preps, so we arent hurting and I am at work now, but things can change in an instant. I have emergency comms setup with mobile hams at home, each car, and at my work all programmed with repeaters in my area. Cell phone service has been super spotty, going in and out. There is no internet connection at my house, but we did get Cable TV back on. Luckily, my house still has power and gas. There is a boil water advisory, so we have been going through my water reserves pretty quickly. I headed down south into Marin to stock up on water so we don't run out.

Its been pretty crazy and things unfortunately look like they will be getting worse before they get better.

bb28, Aurumag, searcher and 3 others like this.
  8. 90%RealMoney

90%RealMoney Midas Member Midas Member

So much smoke here last night, the bats wouldn't come out of the bat houses. Never seen that before.

Hystckndle likes this.
  9. mtnman

Maybe it's time to move.

the_shootist likes this.
  10. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    I was born and brought up in a commie state. That's what I did as soon as I could get out!

I feel bad for the good people behind the lines but it's their choice to stay there.

Silvergun likes this.
  11. hoarder

hoarder Midas Board Mmbr Platinum Bling

When fires swept over my place this summer, they had me on "mandatory" stage 3 evacuation orders, to which I did not comply. Those evacuation orders are not mandatory, they can't force you to leave your own home.

Attached Files:

Silvergun likes this.
  12. Silvergun

Silvergun Silver Member Silver Miner

Land Surveyor
    I refuse to leave children behind due to custody (I have step children). Moving is NOT an option for me. Sometimes you need to man up and deal with things like an adult as it's the responsible thing to do. People like you crack me up. Last time I checked tyranny is spreading throughout our republic like a cancer. It would buy me what 10 maybe 20 years?...but could I live with myself abandoning my step kids to leave them at the mercy of their dead beat dad? No thanks.

Shootist, you are correct it is a choice. I will pick my kids over my own pretend freedom in a "free'r" state. Call me dumb, but i'm ok with that.

13. mtnman

I could get in a pissing match but right now you have enough to contend with. Come back when the fires are out...

14. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Not dumb at all my friend. What works for me doesn't work for others. I'm hip my man! I hope you can someday find a solution.

15. 90%RealMoney

I live in a conservative County in NorCal. Night and day difference here, from what you guys from other states see portrayed about California. I will say though, this place I live in, is not the same place it was 14 years ago, when I moved up from L.A. It was fine until Obama got elected, then suddenly the Lib Twats started coming out of the woodwork. I think they were emboldened by Obama's election, to come to this county from Sacramento, and the Bay (Gay) area, for day trips, and even to move here. Most of those types live in town though. They don't want to live out here in the woods with all of us gun toting, marijuana growing, angry white people. I'll wait and see what Nevada does with their gun laws after Las Vegas, before commiting to moving there.

16. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    Positive thoughts are with you
    SilverGun and 90% .
    Regards ,
    Haystackneedle

90%RealMoney likes this.
  17. searcher

The road to Hell: Couple caught off guard by California wildfires film their terrifying journey to safety while surrounded by flames as they reveal they kept activating the windshield wipers so the car wouldn't catch fire
    • Andre Epstein and Neda Monshat filmed their terrifying journey down a road almost entirely consumed by a raging California wildfire
    • The couple didn't know the road had been considered too dangerous to drive on
    • Flames licked both sides of their car as they drove through the fire for 10 minutes
    • Smoke was so thick they could not see two feet in front of their car
    • The couple kept activating the windsheild wipers as they hoped it would help their car not catch on fire
    • They feared the car would blow up, Epstein described the journey as a hell-scape
    • Wildfires almost simultaneously sparked on Sunday and quickly spread
    • The California wildfires death tolls has reached 31 as of Thursday night

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4976346/Incredible-video-shows-couple-driving-wildfire.html#ixzz4vNOATwik

^updated^ and Hystckndle like this.
  18. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    Firestorm. Seriois stuff it is.
    Super tornado with fire. Ugly stuff.
    Flagler County Fl in the late 90s, never seen anything like it once it gets going. We had a construction yard up north of Volusia county in Flagler next to a truss plant.
    Stored vehicles and excess materials etc from Space Center.
    Storm vaporized everything. No time to move anything it was so fast. Truss plant vaporized also.
    Everything in the area.
    There was a mandatory countywide evacuation.
    That was when I started to begin to think evacs were about useless in any populated areas.
    It was a total gridlock.
    Began prepping around then
    Joined GIM a few years after that.
    Again,
    Thoughts with you SG and 90%.

searcher, hammerhead and ^updated^ like this.
  19. Aurumag

Aurumag Dimly lit. Highly reflective Midas Member Site Supporter

Lightwave Jockey
    I was born here, and I will very likely die here.

Even one generation ago, California was considered a conservative state.

I live 90 miles south of the nearest fire, and with the prevailing winds, I thought the fire was right up the street from me.

Smoke so thick, you can look directly at the sun.

In answer to the question in the OP:

Arson is a possibility, but with the amount of tree work now being conducted in haste by the utility companies, it seems more plausible, and obvious, that the culprit is high wind combined with extremely dry brush.

We had record rainfall earlier in the year, and I've never seen as much poison oak as this year, which is my primary concern regarding smoke inhalation.

Very tragic, and fire season does not end until the first heavy rains.

searcher, ^updated^ and Hystckndle like this.
  20. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Then you and the good people of CA have no choice but to take back your state!

21. 90%RealMoney

First, we need to cut the state in half, and let the Progressive LibTards have the lower toilet area. We've got ALL of the water up here in the North!

22. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Works for me! Let's get started!

23. hammerhead

hammerhead Not just a screen name Gold Chaser

Uncontrolled fire is a terrible thing.

andial and searcher like this.
  24. searcher

Dramatic body cam footage shows sheriff's deputy driving through wildfires in desperate bid to save people stranded in their homes as death toll climbs to 35
    • California sheriffs on Saturday released dramatic body cam footage of deputies driving through towns surrounded by wildfires in an attempt to rescue survivors
    • In one video, an unidentified Sonoma County deputy is seen rescuing a disabled woman who was stranded near her home
    • The deputy is shown lifting a disabled woman out of her wheelchair and into an SUV to rush her out of town
    • 'Go! Go! Go! Go! Go!' a deputy can be heard yelling in the body-camera video released by the Sonoma County Sheriff's Office

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4979860/Death-destruction-hope-heroism-California-fires.html#ixzz4vWzU3HXw

25. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I hope they get some rain soon so dry out west.

26. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
  27. gnome

gnome Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

My neighbors house burned to the foundations in the La Tuña Canyon fire several weeks ago. Watched it burn to the foundations while helicopters dropped load after load of water on it. This area was lucky, only 4 houses burned, nobody hurt. The burn zone looks like Mordor now, nothing but ash and rock. Good news is nothing left to burn in the canyon below us, and we're probably good for 10 years or more before fire risk builds up again. Despite the fact the fires were a few hundred yards from our home, the smoke was negligible because of wind direction.

andial likes this.