1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Windows Must Die

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Bottom Feeder, May 10, 2017.

1. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

The first of Windows' lives occurred in the period between 1985 and 1995. During this time, Windows was a bolt-on application execution environment that ran on top of the 16-bit DOS operating system, which was introduced with the original IBM PC in 1981.

From 1989 to 2001, on a separate track, Microsoft also developed Windows NT, a 32-bit, hardware-abstracted, full pre-emptive, protective memory, multi-threaded multitasking OS designed for high-performance RISC and x86 workstations and servers.

In 2001, Windows NT (at that time branded as Windows 2000) and the consumer version of Windows (Windows ME) merged into a single product: Windows XP.

Shortly after the release of Windows XP, in 2002, Microsoft introduced the .NET Framework...
    NET Framework was intended to replace the legacy Win32. It has continued to evolve and has been slowly adopted by third-party ISVs and development shops.

Win32 still is the predominant legacy programming API [Application program interface] ...And that subsystem remains the most significant vector for malware and security threats

Microsoft introduced a new programmatic model with the introduction of the Windows 8 OS. That framework, which is now commonly known as Universal Windows Platform (UWP), is a fully modernized programming environment that takes advantage of all the new security advancements introduced since Windows 8 and that are in the current Windows 10.

[Now] Microsoft's only choice to move forward is to throw the Win32 baby out with the bathwater. And that brings us to the introduction of Windows 10 S.

Windows 10 S is just like the Windows 10 you use now, but the main difference is it can only run apps that have been whitelisted to run in the Windows Store. That means, by and large, existing Win32-based stuff cannot run in Windows 10 S for security reasons.

A casualty of those sandboxing rules is Google's Chrome browser. For security reasons, Microsoft is not permitting desktop browsers to be ported to the Store. In theory, Google could build its own compatible UWP browser, but it would bear little resemblance to Chrome on the desktop. The default browser, for now, is Microsoft Edge, period.

As it stands, you also can't change the default search engine to Google from Bing either. All of this is done under the auspices of improved security.

Windows, as we know it today, based on the legacy Win32 APIs that have been around for decades, will die. That's Microsoft's intention as well as its current mission to improve the overall computing experience for everyone.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/why-windows-must-die-for-the-third-time/
    +====+====+====+====+====+====+====+====+====+====+====+

So there you have it - Windows will die. And all the programs you now run will be dead as well, all done under the auspices of improved security. And it should bring in a new round of program creation, revisions, updates and new versions which should make the software industry fat and happy.

"improve the overall computing experience", huh. Learn Linux today
    BF

mayhem, Son of Gloin and michael59 like this.
  2. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    Sounds like the Apple model of restricting their OS to only certain apps that have been 'approved' by the 'organization'

3. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    Just dump microsux, switch to Linux, it's free...

4. ToBeSelfEvident

ToBeSelfEvident Gold Member Gold Chaser

https://www.reactos.org/

ReactOS is a free and open-source operating system based on the best design principles found in the Windows NT architecture. Written completely from scratch, ReactOS is not a Linux-based system and it shares none of the UNIX architecture. The main goal of the ReactOS project is to provide an operating system which is binary compatible with Windows. This will allow Windows applications and drivers to run as they would on a Windows system. Additionally, the look and feel of the Windows operating system is used, such that people accustomed to the familiar user interface of Windows would find using ReactOS straightforward. The ultimate goal of ReactOS is to allow people to use it as an alternative to Windows without the need to change software they are used to.

Zed, the_shootist and Lt Dan like this.
  5. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    Does it work on older 32bit computers?

Reason I ask, I've an older netbook, 32bit, only use if I'm going to fly somewhere and want to take a computer along, has win XP and duel boot with Linux Mint 17. It would be great to be able to run this as a test OS to see it's usefulness to me. I hate windows since about 7, which I do need only for a couple programs. If microshaft would only stick with something that works and fix it, instead of constantly trying to reinvent the wheel.

6. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    Found this on their site...
    Might be best to download the liveCD and only test it for now. Microsux will probably sue them out of existence if they have something that works and does it right. Gates is so greedy.

mayhem likes this.
  7. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    Well, 10S, hummm. And, this will only run stuff out of their store? Sounds like a company town, company store depleting my company wages.

You see I am running one of those 10's and have been running into pages being changed and it happens on the scratch pad as I move the courser. Well it did one time. Also my start up page changed along with my tool bar, and I cant get them back.

Anywhoo, not to worry if you want you can opt out of 10 S and pay $49? for 10 PRO and have regular windows; "Just not as streamlined."

Now for the nitty gritty: According to this- http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-windows-10-s-terry-myerson-2017-5 The market is school rooms. Publick monies for e tablets in education, now this is a market plan. State lays an educational tax, purchases a bunch of tablets off of microchump and a solar flare wipes out the whole shebang. Every one reverts back to paper and books or they all get A's just for participation/trying.

And me and you are reduced back to newspapers and encyclopedias. Oh well all in all it could happen, I just wish for now my stuff would quit changing as I am starting to feel like Helen Keller and some one changed the furniture while I was out exploring.

8. mayhem

mayhem Другая перспектива Silver Miner Site Supporter

Retired
    And really easy now.

Lt Dan likes this.
  9. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Isn't all this new OS stuff predicated on the wide spread use of 'smart devices'? Thats whats driving it, right?

BF

10. TomD

TomD It blowed up, y'all Platinum Bling

construction, engineering
    Might be okay for some people but I use work related programs that cost 5 figures and won't run on linux.

Lt Dan likes this.
  11. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    Understood, work is work and play is play. 98% of what I use computers for, I can and do in Linux, the other 2% is why I keep a laptop that also has win 7 on it.

12. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    Good luck finding drivers...reminds me of the 90's again and NT4.

Note: I saw your post, downloaded the ReactOS installation disk and installed it as a virtual machine. It has the look and feel of Windows XP but had several hardware components with no drivers, one being the network adapter. I did a little research and drivers that work are from XP and Windows2000. Not sure if ReactOS is still even being developed any longer. If you know more about it I'm always willing to learn :)

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  13. latemetal

latemetal Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

Chrome fits my needs...as long as I can get that, I'm good.

14. Crockett

Crockett Seeker

Chrome OS is an extension of the all knowing, all seeing Google hydra monster.

the_shootist and Lt Dan like this.
  15. Crockett

Crockett Seeker

I've been using Ubuntu on an 32-bit laptop, and so far I have been able to use my one needed windows only program using the application "Wine". The only way to know for sure if the windows app will run is to test it.

Lt Dan likes this.
  16. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    In the past, I found some registered windows software that would not run right with wine. So, I stick to duel boot when I can. Just boot into the OS that I need at the time. On my main desktop, Linux is the only OS. I'm duel booting the older netbook with Win xp and an older version of Linux Mint - uses Ubuntu for source code.

17. brosil

brosil Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

About 5 years ago, I got a root kit virus that took down my Windows ASUS. I'm not real computer savvy and couldn't fix it. A friend (now deceased) gave me his old game machine to use. That one has packed up with a cooling system failure so I bought a duplicate drive for my old computer and loaded Ubuntu. Ten minutes and I'm up and running faster than windows. Since I don't use any fancy programs, that should be fine for me. Now I'll plug in the old drive and fool with that. Eventually, I'll have to fix the liquid cooling system in the newer machine. I have much more confidence in Linux than Windows.

Lt Dan and the_shootist like this.