1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

1. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

IMG_0570.JPG IMG_0573.JPG Everybody's busy i like that. Installing cabinets (prima donna work) at the hippydrome.

spinalcracker, smooth, Lt Dan and 2 others like this.
  2. stonedywankanobe

stonedywankanobe Gold Member Gold Chaser

Nice looking stuff @Silver, are those pavers to be a parking lot or a patio out back?

@andial "Everybody's busy i like that"

Its like heaven here Dialbro. Olde lady went to Missouri for girls weekend and moms is watching my little girl.

Sitting under the willow, drinking suds and watching my blueberries grow. Thinkin about mowing but that just stressed me out so not thinkin about it no moar.

20170610_171819.jpg

spinalcracker, smooth, andial and 2 others like this.
  3. Silver

Silver Gold Member Gold Chaser

Patio, used to be a parking lot. Pavers are Saltillo bricks - 5.5" x 11.5" x 2", .75 each.

andial and stonedywankanobe like this.
  4. andial

Glad all is well, Will don't worry about that coin hold up feckin postal system, thanks for the nailer fast delivery!

stonedywankanobe likes this.
  5. stonedywankanobe

Not too awful worried yet Andial. I put the tracking number you sent me (Ha!youthoughtiwouldgiveyouSILVER!foranailer) into the USPS website, showing it still hasn't shipped. Will give it a few dayz.

andial likes this.
  6. andial

Just some light humor with that tracking # Will. Postal service said since i lost reciept and don't remember tracking # then nothing they can do. I did PM you the number here before i lost the reciept but i guess it got deleted by a mod or Scorpio maybe.

7. andial

Super nice job on that flight of stairs Will!

8. smooth

smooth Gold Member Gold Chaser

I scraped paint.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

9. hammerhead

hammerhead Not just a screen name Gold Chaser

You got one of them back pocket ladders. How sturdy are they, smooth?

10. smooth

They deflect quite a bit, but I've never felt unsafe (I weigh 190 LBS). Have to be careful that each section is locked in. But honestly I use it more around the place than my other ladders. It's just long enough to get me into the attic of the shop and to reach all of my gutters. The thing about it is, it's worked where an extension or step ladder wouldn't. Like when I painted the interior of my last house. It was the only ladder I needed to paint the split entry. For a guy that does odd jobs I'd say it's worth having.

11. hammerhead

I'm not heavy (136 lbs wearing my work boots) but I don't have good balance because of the dead left ear, so I'm very leary of being on ladders. But those collapsable ones do look like they would be very useful.

Side note: Odd men for odd jobs was our business slogan when I was a teenager. Our company was LP Maintenance. LP stood for Leisure Pace.

12. BigJim#1-8

BigJim#1-8 Silver Member Silver Miner

I just finished doing the same thing, looks great & the old knees & shoulders we're barkin from up & down on the ladder & working constantly overhead. I'll try to get a pic of my work.
    The deck on the back is the one I did the ceiling on.
    Our metal roof project last summer turned out great. Hope the picture posts.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  13. mayhem

mayhem Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter

Just logged in to say y'all are doing a great job keepin busy. On that deck Will the code here is vertical spindles no more than 4 inches apart. That's so's the little ones can't get their heads through.

Got to go, been thinking about y'all..

andial, spinalcracker, smooth and 2 others like this.
  14. stonedywankanobe

@BigJim#1-8, your place looks fantastic sir. That's the kinda spread i want when i grow up.

I'm saving for a metal roof myself as the shingles are toast and every time we get a good storm i pick up a few from the back yard, grab the liquid nails and stick em back down. No major leaks, yet.

@mayhem, yep 4" oc is code here also but not out in the country. Hope you've been well, haven't seen you posting much lately. Hang in there Mr.

15. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    ....i can talk pros-cons of screw down /standing seam roofs in industrial applications till the cows come home

one thing for sure.....every roof system eventually leaks...and fails........usually on a weekend or holiday...my favorite roof system was one warrantied by someone else and the owner had their phone number

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    spinalcracker and smooth like this.
  16. andial

Nice living conditions #1-8.

17. andial

Will, it guts me to hear what happened to those coins.

18. smooth

I was just in this old house in town talking to a guy I'd never met before about Him doing some art for me. My eyes wondering around this hundred year old house as they usually do. And I noticed this ridge beam joinery. Told the Fellow I had to take a pic.
    ridge beam.jpg

I dig this kinda stuff.

19. andial

Wow look how they drove those wedges in opposite directions to tighten it up. Crazy!

Lt Dan, smooth and stonedywankanobe like this.
  20. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician
    Atomic wedgie. KISS I guess. Sometimes we just get a little too clever with these things and lose the timeless appeal of keeping it simple and effective.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    andial and smooth like this.
  21. andial

Does anybody care that i ripped off sir framesalot? I'm using his air nailer right now and he has yet to see the coins i was supposed to mail to him!!!!!

22. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    At least you're using it, so it is betterer than if he'd sent it to me and just have it collect dust.

My work has just involved watering gardens and picking berries, also I did mow the grass, today it's raining, checking that roof repair I made, no leak - yet.

23. ttazzman

That is certainly a unique connection....i bet no engineer ever designed that lol....obviously it works since its still there...thx for the pic

24. smooth

Nah, He's still young. Young guys are supposed to get ripped off, so that when they grow up to be old guys they'll know better.

spinalcracker, Silver, mayhem and 3 others like this.
  25. andial

IMG_0576.JPG
    Don't you think it's bad form to take advantage like i am? right now i'm using Will's air nailer and he is left wanting the silver coins i promised. For shame GIM 2 for letting me get away with this. For shame!

26. stonedywankanobe

Dialbert, that gun looks good half glistening in the Yankee sun. Hope it's as good for you as it's been for me sir.

* For the record and so that none think ill of Mr. Andial or take for truth the levity in his post about stiffing yours truly. The transaction was fast and without a hitch. Dial was a pleasure to trade with and a real Sir.*

On an unrelated note.
    The radiator on the old lady's van shot craps on the way home from Missouri Monday. Luckily i was able to talk her through adding coolant and she limped it home.

I feel compelled to tell yall of the bunch i did bidness with on a new unit. First i called around town, Orealy's, AutoZone, Napa. Each wanted over 200 after tax for a new radiator.

Then i remembered a used car salesman that i play cards with telling about the folks he uses and that they will flat save you money.

So I called my local "1 800 radiator" franchise fellow at 6:45 this morning and spoke with a super nice old guy. Told him what I needed and he ask would I be picking it up today. Said sir I really need it delivered to my house. He says that's not a problem and he will have it there by 11am... free of charge. Grand total after tax was 131, saving me 90 bucks and a drive up town to get one.

Got home at noon today and there it was on my doorstep. I tear into the box and find exactly the radiator I needed and no bullshit a plastic bag containing peppermints and tootsie rolls.

Made my day sirs, keep these guys in mind if ever in need. Personally I'll tell everyone i know about them.

27. davycoppitt

davycoppitt Seeker Seeker

First heat wave of the year and things got crazy real quick. I have about a month worth of work out there that I'm already pushing off. Huge hail storm came through and ripped apart allot of rooftop units. Just one building I stopped by I had 70 hours in the bid to replace coils and they already gave the OK for the work.

Already sick of people bitching about their office being 76 and its not even July. Is it winter yet.

spinalcracker, smooth, Silver and 3 others like this.
  28. andial

IMG_0577.JPG IMG_0580.JPG IMG_0581.JPG IMG_0582.JPG IMG_0583.JPG Just an FYI when installing a heavy oven in a cabinet with a drawer below it. Do not rely on the construction of the cabinet must be reinforced.

29. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician
    It is here, will gladly swap with you.

30. stonedywankanobe

We got the a.c. units put in the walls yesterday then ended up working outside in the hell hole, which never sees shade, all day. Such is the life of...

The widow women decided yesterday that she needed a deck on the front of the ol garage, so 6x24 it was.

Sectioned it off in three equal parts so as to avoid staggering joints everywhere. Mitered the square butt joints to gussie it up a tad. Here's the setup.

20170615_110601.jpg

On the outside those doubles are set to allow an overhang of an inch, then give a solid 1.5 to catch the perpendicular 5/4 floor in between the sections. The centers are laid out with 5.5" in the clear with nailers added on 16" centers throughout.

Takes a bit longer to set up and get going but i prefer it looks wise to the alternative.

Here's a section in the books here.

20170615_151208.jpg

20170615_151319.jpg

First bunch of 5 quarter there was sopping wet so i ran it tight. The second group contained boards that were bone dry and were nearly 3/8" narrower in some cases. Made lining stuff up a pita, had to set strings and wedge gaps in the dryer stuff to keep shit looking ok. Nearly finished it today, will take moar photos tomorrow if it turns out looking alright.

If not, this is the last you'll ever see of it!

ttazzman, mayhem, davycoppitt and 7 others like this.
  31. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Lookin pretty good, nice layout, stonedy.
    I spent the day crawlin around in the attic, installing a couple new runs of cat5 for my security cameras. Its a bitch for me to crawl around up there at my age - I don't bend as good as I used to.

BF

Lt Dan and stonedywankanobe like this.
  32. andial

Lt Dan, stonedywankanobe and smooth like this.
  33. hammerhead

Why is that written in engrish?

34. ttazzman

whats up with that senco floor screw gun....i went to senco's site and couldnt find one like that....model#? .......do you like it ?

35. stonedywankanobe

Ttaz, it's a ds300ac. Pretty nice guns, take a bit of getting used to compared to the ones that attach to a drill. It feels and handles like a fully loaded semi auto 3 barreled 12 gauge with a 50 round drum mag.

Pretty bad ass tool though.

20170607_090007.jpg

ttazzman, Lt Dan and andial like this.
  36. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    This was a porch with a roof when I started. Inside is still not finished. Guys, I almost never take pictures of stuff, had to use an old digital camera, hunted for an hour to find the computer cable, so I could load my pictures onto the computer. Small deck on the side, with the step cut in baffled the wife, (I used one of the old steps has paint on it), she could not picture how or what I meant when I was telling her how I wanted to do it. Door is 32", windows are 36"x60", room or what was the porch faces south, was 7'x10', intended to be a sun room for plants.

P1010018.JPG

BigJim#1-8, smooth, andial and 5 others like this.
  37. stonedywankanobe

Looks good El tee. On the wall to roof flashing there i notice its ran on the outside of the siding.
    I'd get some elastomeric calking and pump that seem like it was 49 dollar silver.

smooth, andial and Lt Dan like this.
  38. stonedywankanobe

Well I thought we finished it Friday but upon looking at these pics i realised i missed a few screws in a handrail. Will fix it later.

Working with both wet and dry lumber is a son of a bitch. Hoping the first section shrinks to somewhat match the other two.

Anyhow here it is.

20170616_152528.jpg

I know, the 2x4 rails look weak. Is what we had to work with.

20170616_152517.jpg

Window should arrive Wednesday and we can finish up the siding. Looks like we will be insulting and running the sheetrock on this also, yeehaw.

Monday we will be on the roof of the big house in Little Rock installing a door I'm told. Should be quite a view from up there.

andial and Lt Dan like this.
  39. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    I've got some of the good caulking. That seam is not where the leaky roof issue is, It was where the ridge metal was not properly installed by a roofer and never sealed. I took the ridge off, installed new gaskets the full length of the porch and then caulked, with the good stuff, where the ridge metal tied into the house roof. Once the roof has had ample time for the caulking to be tested, by rain, I'll go over it all and seal any place that looks suspicious. You might also note the siding transitions in the peak, I did not remove that siding, rather just tucked the siding under what was already there. Looks fine enough to please the wife and we live 300 yards off a township road. Noticeable to me, cuz I see it as a flaw, others may not notice at first. There are some finishing touches to be made, plus almost nothing has been done inside. I did get around to run a few wires for a couple outlets and maybe a can light, have not decided on a light yet, but plan to use pine T&G boards on the ceiling and walls, as there is no way drywall would work with all the plants and moisture. Plus, one old man can hardly handle drywall anymore. When wife said she didn't want drywall, I didn't argue, I did suggest those boards and even showed her the thin type I was thinking about.

smooth, andial and stonedywankanobe like this.
  40. stonedywankanobe

Make sure and run a vapor barrier after you insulate Lt. Those t and g boards will harbor mold very quickly without it. Mainly the ceiling will be the biggest trouble spot and something like 3 or 5 mil plastic should keep the water vapor from hitting a dew point up in the insulation and condensing.
    http://www.goldismoney2.com/threads/workin-man.117461/#post-1077781

hammerhead, Lt Dan and andial like this.