1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

1. Silver

Silver Gold Member Gold Chaser

Getting ready for a 25 square torch down roofing job - not looking forward to baking in the summer temps... torch.jpg

smooth, spinalcracker, Lt Dan and 3 others like this.
  2. stonedywankanobe

stonedywankanobe Gold Member Gold Chaser

Was at Thurston Howell's place again last week.
    Needed in to hang a door on the 4th floor. Mrs Howell, a fit 5'3" hazel eyed brunette bomber was giving me the eye when we met, much nicer lady than I had heard from the other guys.

Later while im working she comes up stairs and says "guys my boys will be down stairs playing for awhile and I'm going to hop in the shower y'all can come and go as you please".

You can imagine what happened next.

spinalcracker, Lt Dan and andial like this.
  3. hammerhead

hammerhead Not just a screen name Gold Chaser

Let me guess. You came and then you went.

smooth, spinalcracker, andial and 2 others like this.
  4. stonedywankanobe

Please Hammersmith! Pops and myself are gentlesirs. We finished the door then daydreamed about her in that shower for the next 3 days like professionals.

smooth, spinalcracker, Lt Dan and 2 others like this.
  5. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Silver Miner Site Supporter

Thanks, you made me laugh and I needed that. I just ran over a nailhead with my planer and no spare blade.

BF

stonedywankanobe and andial like this.
  6. spinalcracker

spinalcracker On a mail train. Seeker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    All I've done this week is fix the screen on the chicken house and there's not anything exciting about that.
    Not like peeping through the chicken house keyhole door is going to be as much fun as a brunette in the shower or a naked blonde answering the door.
    Damn it Jim!....

7. hammerhead

You've saved yourself some aggrevation than, Sir. The fantasy is usually better than the reality.

stonedywankanobe likes this.
  8. Bottom Feeder

Smooth - was this you?

Shirtless, sandwich-seeking tractor driver arrested

Police say a little before midnight Tuesday they received several 911 calls regarding Adrian Latham, 41, who was shirtless, driving a red tractor erratically and asking others for a sandwich.

Police attempted to conduct a traffic stop in a Northwest Omaha Wal-Mart parking lot, but Latham fled and drove recklessly, weaving through traffic lanes before swerving off the road and ramming into a metal gate.

According to police, Latham was very confused and unable to provide his name following the crash. He was taken to Lakeside Hospital for a possible drug overdose and complaint of foot pain and was medically cleared. Latham's drivers license has been suspended for more than a year for habitual driving offenses.

The tractor was impounded at the Omaha Police Department for safekeeping because it is unknown who the owner is.

http://www.3newsnow.com/news/local-news/shirtless-sandwich-seeking-tractor-driver-arrested

:p BF :D

stonedywankanobe and smooth like this.
  9. hammerhead

I can understand why some people prefer starting from scratch with new construction. But that isn't my gig and I find more of a challenge in renovation. I also find some very intelesting methods of construction.

Check out these novelty siding boards.
    KIMG0250.JPG The pic posted sideways but rotate your monitor to the right if need be.The black spots that can faintly be seen are the ends of screws. When I pulled off some of the siding I found that the siding acts also as the sheathing. Besides the point but thought I'd throw that in with the commentary.

After removing one of the boards with the screw sticking out of it, I could see that the screw penetrated sheetrock only. It's not like it was run through a stud and once the board was removed it just dangled there so I pushed it back far enough to put on the new siding. This is what I found inside.

KIMG0251.JPG

There are 3 of these 6" ledger locks hanging the door jamb. I wonder if the dips that hung the door knew the screws went through. Those weren't the only screws I found though. They used the siding as a fastener board for a vent chase also.

10. smooth

smooth Gold Member Gold Chaser

No man, My tractor is green. But I did take Little Monster (He's obsessed with tractors) over to a friends house a couple days ago to see a few red tractors. We made our own sammiches.....
    owen and IH.jpg

11. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    sounds like more of a "coverup" job than a renovation.... :)

andial and Lt Dan like this.
  12. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    Isn't that why you have to renovate? If it was built right in the first place, there wouldn't be any reason to have to cover anything up. To renovate correctly, you'd need to take it down and start over from the ground up. Most people would not be able to afford that. Chances are, not even the footer is done correct on that "older home".

After posted that, I got to thinking, most not have been a code back when that home was built and the person/persons involved most have been DIYers. You usually get what you pay for - sometimes worse.

stonedywankanobe and ttazzman like this.
  13. hammerhead

I'm sure the door was an after thought. Time does have it's way on everything and the home owners are newly retired. We throughout the years have been fixing much this and that. It never ends.

One thing that surprised me on the novelty siding that is already on the house is that the boards have a groove at the bottom instead of just an over lap. In many ways, they don't make them like they used to. Actual 2" framing, solid wood trim. Must be a trick to keep forestry up to demand.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    stonedywankanobe, Lt Dan and ttazzman like this.
  14. hammerhead

Uh oh. What to do now?

KIMG0256.JPG
    Lost an inch and an eighth in just 7 courses and still have 5"s to the weather like the original siding.

The solution...make your own custom modified board.

KIMG0257.JPG
    As I said, I do enjoy being creative.

Was tricky all around between taking boards off that are fastened from both sides, to removing the back of the groove on the piece to keep without breaking the face of the siding.

KIMG0254.JPG

Then there was the up and down and over with the ladder which was real tight to a bush on the left side. Beat the rain 2 days in a row. Now that was luck. None less, that area is ready for final coat of paint. I sealed knots, primed and first coat painted on the ground.

15. hammerhead

Same house. A couple of years back, they wanted storage and still needed to get their cars in the garage. I instructed them to go to the CET used building material Re-Store and look for a set of kitchen cabinets. This is what they found for $450.00.

KIMG0253.JPG

Top is made out of 2 x 8's. Not as good as smooth would have made but it does the trick. Then they needed some place to put the seasonal tires. Added a rack for them on the upper right hand side.

stonedywankanobe, smooth and Lt Dan like this.
  16. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

Then they needed some place to put the seasonal tires. Added a rack for them on the upper right hand side.[/QUOTE]

Wait,,, they store their snow tires in plastic bags?

stonedywankanobe and andial like this.
  17. hammerhead

Wait,,, they store their snow tires in plastic bags?[/QUOTE]
    Judging by the picture, that would be correct.

18. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    Down here in southern Ohio, we store our seasonal tires, (all-season), on the car - all year. whistle:

Didn't get anything done today, started out looking like rain and sure enough it did, 2.3".

19. Bottom Feeder

So do I. Keeps your hands much cleaner when you move them around.

BF

spinalcracker and Lt Dan like this.
  20. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

IMG_0626.JPG Pretty soon silver gonna rally, i know it!

mayhem, Silver, spinalcracker and 4 others like this.
  21. hammerhead

Which will come first Sir dial, the rally or having all that tile pulled up? Feck, I'd call it a day.

stonedywankanobe likes this.
  22. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Does a big block of dry ice help scrape up the tiles & glue?

andial likes this.
  23. Bottom Feeder

Chippin tiles off is a bitch. I had one of those in my kitchen. I ripped up the sub-floor tiles and all - easy peasy. Laid down a new sub-floor and was done in about ¼ the time it woulda taken me. And the floor was nice and smooth for the new tile without having to sand down the stuck old adhesive.

BF

mayhem, stonedywankanobe and andial like this.
  24. Silver

Silver Gold Member Gold Chaser

Misery - lucky for you it isn't old sheet linoleum, that shit is almost impossible to get off wood floors. I had to use a torch to heat the shit and then use a spud bar to inch it up. Never again!

25. smooth

smooth Gold Member Gold Chaser

When silver makes it's run to the inevitable $1000 an ounce (parity w/ gold) we can all retire and watch Irons scrounge around in a lake for .05 gram 10 carrot ear rings and hang out in the Non-workin man thread.

26. andial

Yes BF if this were customer work i would rip up from the 1/4 sub floor but is the upstairs of my house so i would rather break my ass then spend a dime. Using sharpened flat pry bars is coming up not so bad really.

mayhem, Silver, spinalcracker and 5 others like this.
  27. andial

smooth you are reading my mind ! i can't wait for that day , it will be like being caught in a hive of hornets and wasps in eternity for our brother in those times. I hope he isn't reading this thread.

mayhem, Silver, spinalcracker and 3 others like this.
  28. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    If only I lived closer, I'd volunteer to come help with that tile removal project. However, I'd rather put it down than take it up. I laid linoleum, (did not glue), in my sunroom. One of these days, I'll get around to do the trim. Been giving my son a hand with his room addition some evenings and weekends. He is closing in his back porch, not sure but think it is going to be a dining room and then he'll probably turn the present dining room into a bedroom for one of his three daughters.

mayhem, BigJim#1-8, Silver and 4 others like this.
  29. BigJim#1-8

BigJim#1-8 Silver Member Silver Miner

Well, finally took some pic's. Turned out real nice. Mrs. BigJim rusted up the tin with toilet cleaner, steel wool & peroxide. I'm not the artist many of you are, but I keep on.
    Also covered the inside gables, soffits, & did the trim.
    IMG_0430.JPG IMG_0431.JPG

Silver, spinalcracker, Lt Dan and 5 others like this.
  30. stonedywankanobe

Smooter, 825 was message board Silver, loved it!
    That grandson is growing into a fine young man, almost looking forward to having my own some day.

Dialbro, hammerdrill and a chisel bit Sir. Like how your keeping the debris organized though.

Hammers that was some fine work on the custom lap board, a lesser crafts person may have just called that 1" gap a caulk joint. Well played.

BiggieJ those galvo sheets look good. I hate running that stuff. Kick back on that porch with some iced tea and be proud Sir.

31. stonedywankanobe

Pops and i spent last week doing a trim job on a new home. Very basic and honestly not the kind of trimming i like doing.

House is 3200'. All trim was preprimed square 1x4 on the doors and 1x6 on the base. All boards have a slight rolled edge and everything square butts, no miter joints.

17 interior solid jamb doors without trim took me 2 days to hang, then trim. The style was the homeowners vision of being old-school. Personally, I hate it. The windows recieved a stool and skirt only, no wood casement. Not old school imho but we did what she wanted.

3 rooms got 5.25" crown and that was that. Didn't take many pics as I just don't like the looks of it. Very plane and uninspiring style.

So our next project is on the same house. It was a burn out, totally destroyed and rebuilt from the footing up.

The deck out back survived around the pool and we are commissioned the improbable task of tying a new multi level deck into this old one.
    20170713_134243.jpg

Ole pops sucking on a Marlboro pondering the fine mess we find ourselves in this time.

Thing is they don't want to replace the old surface which is a mile out of square with the new house and substandard at best.

So we will be cutting into and tying to this disaster here, somehow.

20170714_134227.jpg

20170714_134820.jpg

We'll see how it goes...

32. mayhem

mayhem Другая перспектива Silver Miner Site Supporter

Retired
    Pops doesn't look like he is real pleased with trying to make that old 5/4 lie down and match anything, or was it just that hot out there? Been away, traveled to where our rental is where we be putting on new siding and a new deck starting in about a month. finding a contractor who is more than a dolt who can pass the test has been a problem.

Found some real 'workin men' after a month of searching though. I'l supply the material and they will do the work. Was gonna put Hardie up cause we was gonna move in there and sell the one we live in now. But after traveling and a lot of discussion about ROI we decided to just replace the T1-11 that's currently there and sell it when the lease is up as they said they were moving anyway. They have been there for 5 + years now and never missed or were late with a payment. We figure the move really isn't in my best interest as it would take me away from the medical facilities that we are so close to here.

So that project will be starting in about a month. I'll post pictures if ya'all like as it goes, but I won't be doing the work. I'll be sitting in my Hoverround supervising and being a general PIA I guess. :-).

Ya'all stay safe ya here.
    hempster.

Stonedy, haven't forgot ya sir. As they say in Jamaica, soon mon, soon.

spinalcracker, Silver, Lt Dan and 3 others like this.
  33. andial

Will does pops have an extra smoke.

34. mayhem

Retired
    Haven't had a smoke in a week.. Sitting here waiting on the delivery guy now. He will prolly forget and remember tomorrow, maybe.

spinalcracker, Lt Dan, smooth and 2 others like this.
  35. andial

IMG_0628.JPG
    Dissagree kindly sir this is a zero cost input job ( my house) that means no electric just my back and sharpened flat bars, came up fine even worked out a little to keep from getting bored.

mayhem, Lt Dan, hammerhead and 3 others like this.
  36. stonedywankanobe

Good on you for not smoking Hemsworth. Dialbro my old man is a 2 pack a day kinda guy, so no, he probably doesn't.

I'm currently using patches to quit, again... again. It's been 24 days since I last smoked. Been working out and trying to get back in shape. Have gained 8 pounds so far and am starting to feel omnipotent again. Borrowed that word from Dial. ^^^^

Going skating with the kiddos here in just a bit, gonna try and recapture my youth before it's too late. We only live once sirs, enjoy yourselves.

Will check in later.

mayhem, spinalcracker, Silver and 5 others like this.
  37. hammerhead

Very nice BigJim. Like how you trimmed that out. Must be enjoyable to sit out there when the rain is pouring down.

stonedywankanobe and BigJim#1-8 like this.
  38. hammerhead

Operative word there Mr Nobe is improbable, not impossible. All the same, tell the owners they are stupid.

mayhem, stonedywankanobe and andial like this.
  39. BigJim#1-8

BigJim#1-8 Silver Member Silver Miner

Thanks HH,
    That's the back deck, it runs 30' x 8' & is a pleasure to grill, sit etc. The front deck is about 40' x 12', great for the mornin' coffee, it doesn't need a ceiling as it's all heavy beams & 1x rough sawn planks, metal roof on top.
    BTW, Next week will be 2 years off cigarettes for me, Thank the Good Lord. All you guys tryin' to quit, Godspeed!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  40. mayhem

Retired
    I guess my 'smoke' comment flew kinda high. I quit ciggibuts 30 years ago when I lost a lung.