1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

1. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    I use those when I change oil in the motorcycle. Truck and tractors, I'd use them too if I could find them locally in the right size. Van and wife's car, I get done at the dealer, as they have that service plan to cover engine for life, only if you get the oil changed at the (d)stealers. This is the time of year I'll do oil changes and other maintenance on stuff, so I don't usually have to take time out to do it in nice weather.

2. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician
    It's too easy to DIY and you know the good stuff goes in. Modern car service is basically fluid changes and belt checks, easier than it has ever been IMO. Want a tune, throw in some new O2 and AF sensors.... ain't nothing on trying to balance two Webers. The skill needed has been reduced at service level, trouble shooting is another thing, still I seem to be one of the few remaining loonies that does this stuff! Saves me a few $$$$$$ and the dealership hates me anyways so pfffffft....LOL

3. Silver

Silver Gold Member Gold Chaser

I just purchased 2 Interstate Batteries from Costco for around $200 ($92 +fees and tax) out the door with exchange. 3 year unlimited warranty - they don't even have equipment to test them - just bring it and exchange it for a new one.
    https://www.costco.com/automotive-batteries.html

edit to add: the reason I know they don't have equipment is because I wanted to test the batteries I was buying and the guy said they can't, no tester, then I said what about when I bring one in for an exchange - he said as long as it is within 3 years, you get a new one no questions asked. I said sounds good (then I was thinking humm, after about 2.5 years, I'll just bring them back for new ones - then I said to myself, that would be wrong! :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  4. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

My 2000 S10 is half old school and half computer. It still has a distributor, coil cap and rotor. There are a lot of things I can do to fix it and things I can't handle I bring to a good guy right here in my small town. I don't want a new truck, Jesus what mess of chinese fuckery and they cost more than my first house.

I am going to do shocks this spring and also dig 2 vacuum actuators out from under the dash. The defrost/heat/vent system is a little wack and I got it narrowed down to one of those 2. Heck you can hear the hole in the diaphragm whistling if you get your head down by the gas pedal.

She's a good old girl worth keeping around.

Jessica-snow.jpg

5. hammerhead

hammerhead Not just a screen name Gold Chaser

I take it Mrs. Irons let you in on that noise.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

stonedywankanobe and Irons like this.
  6. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    Nice looking truck! Your weather brings up a whole host of maintenance issues that we just don't have. I just unloaded the Subaru after 9 years, engine bay and under car was as clean as it was in year two. Our climate is very kind to cars, we don't write them off at anywhere near the rate that the cold climates do.

Running a turbo diesel now, torque is awesome and welcome change from the Suby which was all up higher and sucked out of the hole. So much more drivable now I'm getting old and lazy... first auto as well... not too shabby, they have come a long way with those things.

stonedywankanobe and Irons like this.
  7. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    PS. kinda jealous, I want a truck (ute, pickup... whatever!) but for now I have no real justification for it. Stuck in family car land for now.

stonedywankanobe, mayhem and Irons like this.
  8. smooth

smooth Gold Member Gold Chaser

I just bought a new Ford in November. Extremely comfortable ride and the fit and finish is beautiful, but it all feels very cheap. Thin plastic parts through out. I try to keep things pretty simple, but unless you buy a base model, they pretty much all come loaded anymore. I'm still figuring out some of the bells and whistles. Owners manual is around an an inch and a quarter thick.... It wont be long and you'll be able to talk to your rig. Ask it how it's feeling... They'll probably record every thing you ever say.

9. Silver

And how fast you accelerate, how hard you brake, and how fast you turn - and send it to your insurance company.

10. spinalcracker

spinalcracker On a mail train. Silver Miner Site Supporter

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    We had a saying back in Oklahoma that if one takes care of their truck will it will make them a living....
    Construction workers and trucks....
    A horse and carriage...
    Love and marriage...
    92 Nissan 35000 miles
    Sorry for the sideways photo...new phone and I am learning new camera..
    2018-01-08 18.28.44.jpg

11. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    Yeah... here it tends to go 'poverty pack', base level 'price point' offering for fleet and rental and then the first step up is a good $ jump but they are pretty well loaded with tech.

12. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    I had one of those... sucked juice but it was a good basic workhorse.

spinalcracker likes this.
  13. Silver

I thought everyone used vans up north? Trucks out number cars by a long shot in my neck of the woods.

I'm very hesitant about new trucks, they are too complicated. I'm on my last diesel because of the finickiness of new diesels with there high pressure fuel systems. New Ford diesels require new injectors if you get water in your diesel. I was talking to a gal at a Chevron and she said she only used top brand diesel and got a receipt no matter what (to prove where the water came from) - she picked up water at a station and their insurance had to pay to replace her injectors at the dealer for 10k. I'm going gasser after this goes tits up - I've only got 210000 - but I figure it's at about half life, so it may be a long time before I have to deal with it.

stonedywankanobe, Irons and smooth like this.
  14. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    .... then they will pretty quickly work out it doesn't matter much. Hopefully we will return to track record. I drive hard, but I have hit nothing in 35 years... they all have hit me, normally from behind... I drive with a lot more focus on what is behind these days, especially on the freeway if it piles up.

stonedywankanobe and Silver like this.
  15. smooth

90% of the time I drive like an old lady. I watch people accelerate then brake accelerate then brake, riding peoples asses and getting 10 MPG.... all so that they can get to their destination 98 seconds quicker. Almost every vehicle sold anymore has GPS installed, not really an option. And soon I'm sure they will have an option that requires a listening devise so that you can talk to your vehicle. It wont be long and your truck will have the capability to testify against you in a court of law. LOL, wasnt too long ago this would be crazy talk.

16. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    CAV style filter and water trap, worth the $$$$ IMO. Used them in marine all the time, I really should stick one on the new car.

Silver likes this.
  17. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    GPS + Adaptive Cruise Control (very common now) is one step away from electronic enforcement of speed limits. All the tech is there, it just needs a control system... must be coming. For our own good you understand.

18. Silver

I got rear-ended in rental by a 18 year old texting while driving. She hit me so hard I bent the headrest back and it crushed the rear of the car like an accordion (Nissan Altima). I got out and jumped on her case and she starting crying. I wasn't hurt but I was sore the next day.

19. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    Same... a Ford Ranger @ 120 Kph into the car behind me while stopped on a freeway, it bounced between me and the Ford a couple of times. Damaged me to near write off, nailed the car behind me and the truck. Airbags mean't he walked away with a scratched arm and shock. Modern driving aids let you drive like a fuckwit and still live.

20. Silver

I got water separation filters on an old 5.9 mechanical 12 valve Cummins in a RV - and it will run with some water in fuel. My Ford diesel is just the stock fuel filter that comes on the 7.3 - it will also run with a little water. But, yeah, those marine filters are tops.

stonedywankanobe, mayhem and Zed like this.
  21. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    I need to ask @ next service if there is any water protection in the fuel circuit on my current car and how they feel about sticking a CAV in the system. Can't see why it would cause an issue, but high pressure system and all that, should ask first. Country Oz gets pretty iffy on fuel supply, all sorts of crappy tanks out there.

22. smooth

Just a quick heads up about gas... I talked to a guy in our Purchase & Sales department about gasoline qualities. He stated that He only buys Chevron gas, as they have the best additive in the industry and a great track record for tank maintenance requirements for their gas stations.. (I dont work for Chevron). Arco has to be the worst..... It's true that all gasoline is the same as it all meets the standard minimal requirements to go to market. However once its sold, how it is handled and stored is a different story.

23. Irons

You just described GM's onstar. Anther piece of fuckery I want nothing to do with.

I would get cars and trucks without carpet if I could. The last S10 ZR2 I could order with a stick shift was in 1996, on my 2000 it wasn't an option anymore. All you could get was less loaded than ridiculous.
    Now my little 2013 Ford Focus I got pretty stripped, it's a great car I like it. I damn near made the Ford dealer cry. He was all wound up to sell me all the crap I do not want, I kept telling him 5-speed, FM radio and air conditioning. I don't want anything else. I was able to get it without much more than that!
    One of the few still Made in Michigan too.

24. Irons

It's mostly trucks here even in the city. It's funny you see all these 4 door 4 wheel drive trucks that never pull anything, haul anything or set a delicate tire off the pavement.
    I call them Jenison Jeeps for a suburb of Grand Rapids full of assholes. They crash in the snow like crazy too, 4WD will get you going on ice but it won't help you stop.
    But I'm a jerk who doesn't understand status symbols.

aponder.jpg

25. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    Lucky you went the manual, the CVT is a fecking disaster... badly engineered.

26. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    That's what I want... low milage, recent, unworked... they can take the shine of it for a price!

stonedywankanobe and Silver like this.
  27. Irons

I heard Ford automatic transmissions are awful. Funny thing GM clutches are shitty and Fords are bulletproof.
    Heck man a little 4 banger with an automatic would be really boring, with a stick it's fun to drive. And my wife is afraid of it so it's all mine.

28. Silver

I've got a manual - 6 speed and I've hauled heavy loads with my goose-neck with no issue. I had a Ford auto on a 97 diesel and the tranny was the weak point. I like shifting, started with a manual when I learned to drive back in the olden days. My wife can't drive my truck :)

29. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    My wife gets a hold of a stick shift, she acts like a race car driver. :witch:

30. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    Subaru's CVT and 4 banger is awsome and I am not a Suby fan. You have to get used to the engine not revving like normal but they definitely have merit as a drive train... done properly. Had a Honda Jazz (Fit?) CVT in the family since 2004, punches well over its 1.3l weight.

stonedywankanobe likes this.
  31. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    Sticks are getting harder to sell down here, no one learns to drive them any more?????!!!!!! Dinosaur skill! Mind you my step father drives a car that you have to advance the ignition on manually and has straight cut gears. Alvis 12/50, a what?! you say?? LOL According to him if you can't drive that then you can't really drive. Track races antiques worth $$$$$$$, was running a D type Jag for a while... that is a 4m dollar fuck up if you bin it.

32. davycoppitt

davycoppitt Seeker Seeker

Took my car to the scrap yard a few months back. Now I only have the company van, but I get paid to put gas in it, get paid to get oil changes, and get paid when it has a problem.

33. Irons

I always thought subaru's were very well built cars and being a station wagon fan for my cars their forester and outback look about perfect to me.
    There are a lot of them on the road here. Problem is parts for them are really really expensive even for basic shit like brake parts and alternators.

I will be keeping my little focus hatchback going for a long long time. Like my S10 parts are dirt cheap and you can literally get them anywhere. Brand new front brake rotors for my truck were $21. Full set of Ceramic brake pads $28 off ebay.

34. Silver

I saw a bumper sticker on a Subaru that said, "I'm Not A Lesbian, I'm Married" - the nickname around here is Lesbaru.

stonedywankanobe and Zed like this.
  35. Irons

.This guy is pretty helpful, this spray cleaner trick along with a bottle of gumout total system cleaner mixed into a full gas tank of premium
    made my focus run like brand new and boosted the gas miliage back to new.

Lt Dan and Zed like this.
  36. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    I had the last iteration of the EJ25 engine, they had really maxed the unit out and it showed. Not a strong engine, not stock, could be some what fixed but $$$$$. Plus Suby Oz are greedy, parts are double your price... a$$holes. Other than that I considered it mid quality Japanese, pretty good but not Honda/Mazda std. Honda have slipped of late though.

The new rig (FB engine) is a whole new ball game, initial units burned oil like crazy... but then newer engines do, the drive for economy has seen them loosen tolerances to reduce friction. Still it was a little too much, there was a class action against them and something about oval pistons and some manufacture fault. Anyway, other than that mudder loves her new Forester. So DYODD etc, they are good but not as good as the groupies say, full of cheap a$$ Nissan bits as well... sometimes they are even branded. I often bought OEM Nissan parts when required... same but cheaper!

PS> I assume that the engines are good now but you'd have to research from when etc... DYODD.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  37. JayDubya

JayDubya Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

Cracker, I think you might be missing a zero. Just looking for clarification. You sure that's 35,000 miles and not 350,ooo on your '92?

ttazzman, spinalcracker and Lt Dan like this.
  38. smooth

Those old Sub's are near bullet proof, huge around here for young, broke, snow boarders and skiers.. stuff like that because they do so well on compacted snow/ice. Last year My wifes friend had an old Forester? that she was trading in. She actually called on Her way to the dealership and said they quoted Her $1200 trade in for it. I told my wife (still on the phone) "fuck that have her swing by and I'll give her $1200 right now"... That next week I sold it for $2000 to a friend of mine for his daughter. I had to pay title transfer fees and shit but when it was done I gave my wifes friend another $600. Keep them old Sub's in oil and they seem to run forever.

stonedywankanobe, Zed and Lt Dan like this.
  39. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    Yeah, I pulled the injectors, hooked up a switch and a battery, stuck a syringe full of carb cleaner on one end and pulse it through them. Worked really well for $10, done in an hour... the alt was $200 for an injector clean and service and a week without them.

I love uTube for cheap a$$ quick fixes that very often work.

Irons likes this.
  40. Irons

Just a bit dinged up and mad max but underneath mostly new.
    I would hop in it and drive it out to visit Smooth (2,300 miles) without a worry in the world right now.

Jessica-2017RS.jpg