1. Stocks try to regain their footing, metals up
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Weds Morning! Gold is up 5.5 to 1252, while Silver is up 16 to 16.75. Crude is down 16 to 4408. The USD is down .09 to 9600
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

1. stonedywankanobe

stonedywankanobe Gold Member Gold Chaser

Never heered of it sir. Sounds better than t111 though.
    We've ran miles of hardi, folks over here love the stuff. In ritzy parts of Little Rock its the only non wood planking material allowed by code.
    I think the key is not only a good installation crew but good through painters.

Free advise if you reconsider the James board.

1. Don't use their corner boards.
    2. Instead use 2x4 then have metal facia coil bent to cap the 2x's allowing an extra inch or so bent 90 at the wall for flashing.
    3. Case the windows and doors the same way.

Looks super clean compared to their proprietary cracking corner stuffs and once caulked is water tight and free of maintenance.

andial, mayhem and Lt Dan like this.
  2. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Don't know if you get snow where you live in Florida sir if you do hardie is a no go plus when using leave a couple of inch gap from the roof plus primer complete board before install. Despite what sir frames alot says i feel the product is compromised.

mayhem, stonedywankanobe and Lt Dan like this.
  3. stonedywankanobe

Mebe so sir. We ran some of their pre finished product awhile back and it seemed like good stuff.

The 5 tooth Hardie blades they sell to cut with are absolute overpriced garbage imho.
    Griprite diamond skilsaw blades are fantastic and will cut until the cows come home.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s//ref=mw_dp_a_s?ie=UTF8&k=Grip-Rite

Day 3 sirs.

20170310_155647.jpg
    tgif

andial, Lt Dan and Someone_else like this.
  4. mayhem

mayhem Другая перспектива Silver Miner Site Supporter

Retired

And that IS the problem down here. A abundance of good finish guys, but so much block that good stick guys are hard to find. 15 years ago I wouldn't have a problem, but now I out of the loop and don't know of any. JH has a authorized shell contractor north of me, and I spoke with them this week. Would be a xtra for them to stay down here for a week(???) they claim they need to do the place.
    My next door neighbor just had a new roof put on and they did the wrap on the facia and it does look really good. I'll keep that in mind if I go with HP. I'm leaning towards stucco one because all houses down here have it, and two price. Plus l00king around the net there is a class action suit ongoing for almost ten years now against JH, and some of the pictures are horrible. JH is blaming the installers, and some of the jobs look like bad install, but others where the owner chose the pre-painted (supposedly baked on) were flaked real bad. JH gives a 15 year warantee on that finish, but are not backing it up.
    The last time it snowed here was in 1971 and that was only for 20-30 minutes or so. As I noted above I'm hearing more bad than good about JHPlank. This stuff is supposed to be cement board and I cam't figger why ya need to leave such gaps between any joint. One would think that stuff would be stable as all git out. That place has a south wall that takes a real beating from the sun, (paint only lasts for 4 years) and gets pretty warm on a summer day. Any gap would look like hades. Had shade trees back in 05 before Wilma came over the top of us and knocked'em down. Planted new ones in 06 but I'll be feeding worms before they get big enough to make a difference.

Ya know sir dial I respect your opinion, and I tend to agree with you on it being computerized. Talking my self out of it as I type. No offense sirframesalot. And it is really expensive, more than two coat stucco, and I won't have to worry about corners and window cases either.

Appreciate the thoughts, back to making more calls on Monday.

andial and stonedywankanobe like this.
  5. mayhem

Retired
    How much did you allow for gap when butting boards, and end gap? Did you wind up having to face nail any of it?

EDIT: Here is a link to a complaint page.
    https://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/jameshardie-siding.html

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    stonedywankanobe likes this.
  6. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

I like seeing construction. It gives me a good feeling that things are somehow getting better.

gringott, andial, Lt Dan and 2 others like this.
  7. stonedywankanobe

Where the board butts the corners we leave a full eighth or so and where they square butt one another just a slight gap has been ok.
    I like using high grade siliconised caulk to hide the crack at the joints and it's still flexible.

Generally we will use a 1.5 inch 15ga finish nail or 3 at the joints where it's needed and 1.25 inch coil nail directly into each stud on the blind nail row.

Also we like to pop vertical red lines marking nailers so each shot counts and were not blasting it into pieces.

8. stonedywankanobe

None taken Mr. Sounds like stucco is a more viable option for sure.

Drivit and stucco are very cost prohibitive here. Right up there with real stone work.
    That last little place we framed got dryvit as it was in the bill of assurance for the neighborhood.

mayhem and andial like this.
  9. andial

Saw that, was watching "i dream of jeanie" once and doctor bellows comes in and says it's snowing in cocoa beach, major heally told him he was crazy.

mayhem and gringott like this.
  10. smooth

smooth Gold Member Gold Chaser

11. stonedywankanobe

So, after a six month wait we finally started demo on this old house yesterday...

20170315_082307.jpg

We removed both front and back porches completely before noon and got out of the way for the guys removing the rock skirt with a trackhoe.

We would have been rolling this morning were it not for the call I got last night.

After nearly a year of planning and plenty of waiting the builder calls and says he's just gonna tear it all down and start fresh.

Would have been nice to know, luckily we have two other houses scheduled that will now be on the front burner, one of which is a lake home on stilts, which should begin Tuesday.

I could use a few days off anyhow I suppose, but thinking we had 2.5 weeks of good money coming is a fecking bummer.

Oh well, the place was a shithole and needed razed. The floor joist in the kitchen fell nearly 4 inches in a 13' run. The staircase was balogna, evey carpeted step varied in rise from a low of 6" to whopping 11" rise on the first step coming off the landing.

Coming down the stairs my size 12 boots hung about 4 inches off the front of the tread and at 6'2" my forehead clanked off the light as i attempted to slinkey back down.

Just a total mess, 4 to 6 weeks out now.

And some moar pics

20170315_110716.jpg

And a look at what Arkansas weather does to exposed t111.

20170315_085924.jpg

smooth, andial and Lt Dan like this.
  12. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

I would like to metal detect the yard. Prolly some goodies around if it's old.

I see you have gorilla ladders. Jesus, I love and hate mine.
    Handy for some stuff but so damn heavy and awkward I swear I'm going to sell it for scrap one of these days.

13. stonedywankanobe

I heard that. After we took the deck off i spent a few minuets sifting the dirt and dog hair. Found dozens of copper pennies and lots of what was left of zinc ones... not so much as one stinking nickel though, seemed strange.

Oh yeah, those are Werner, got the 17' ones for 89 each last black Friday at Lowe's. Everyone but me complains about the weight and watching my old man trying to extend one is pretty funny.

I can take it from compacted to full extension in about 8 seconds. They are too handy, love those jokers. Way more stable than fiberglass when folded in half.

Lt Dan likes this.
  14. Irons

Yeah the weight is a bitch. BUT..... you can carry the fecker inside folded up and click it to step ladder mode then extend the legs way the hell up.
    Great for ceiling fans and lightbulbs and smoke detectors. They are also very stable in any mode you use them.
    But heavy, damn heavy.

15. stonedywankanobe

Ye olde feckers kill me.

Any luck in 17 with the beep stick sir?

andial likes this.
  16. Irons

andial, Lt Dan, mayhem and 1 other person like this.
  17. mayhem

Retired
    I remember say'n that 30 years ago. Watch out it kinda creeps up on ya fast. :-)

smooth, stonedywankanobe and Lt Dan like this.
  18. mayhem

Retired
    Great name for'em Irons. I got one of the first ones ever made, and that sucker is a beast compared to the newer ones.

Edit: The older ones don't have the extenders.

Irons likes this.
  19. Irons

Mine is Gorilla brand and around 20 years old, my Dad gave it to me. It probably extends out to 20 or so feet? I will see if I can find it online.

Gorilla 4 in 1 ladder. 22 feet. Doesn't look like they are made anymore.

[​IMG]

GORILLA LADDER
    MAY 22, 2008 NETWORK ADMIN LEAVE A COMMENT

[​IMG]
    I like my Gorilla 4-in-1 Ladder. It is a little heavy to tote around but it’s well worth it’s weight on the jobsite!

I was looking for another on Amazon and found 106 reviews resulting in a 4.5 star rating for the Werner 22-Foot Type 1A 300-Pound Duty Rating Telescoping Multiladder.

I have used almost every combination these ladders offer. This week I am building a deck on uneven ground and just about anywhere I drop this ladder it’s stable. Having a heavier duty product and two sides to stand on makes it a better work platform than any of my other ladders.

The Wing Little Giant Ladder System 22- Foot 300-Pound Work Platform also gets a 4.5 star rating but from 40 reviews. The Little Giant has wheels and is a 30% more expensive than the Werner.

[ad#mid_post]

Of course I like my lighter ladders for most situations but my Gorilla Ladder is without a doubt one important tool on my jobsite.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    Lt Dan and stonedywankanobe like this.
  20. andial

Have never used those ladders maybe once, Irons I will pay you above scrap for yours plus shipping.

Lt Dan, stonedywankanobe and Irons like this.
  21. Irons

It would cost a fortune getting it over to you sir. It's around 6 foot long folded all the way up and prolly weighs 80-90 pounds.
    I would like to replace it with a 28 or 30 foot fiberglass ladder.

Lt Dan, stonedywankanobe and andial like this.
  22. andial

Feck that I'll just go with my assortment of step ladders and extension ladders and wood blocks.

Edit: sir

Lt Dan, Irons and stonedywankanobe like this.
  23. andial

Will, first staircase I ever made on God's green earth had oversized risers of different height and undersized treads plus needed a landing for no reason.

Lt Dan and stonedywankanobe like this.
  24. mayhem

Retired
    Mine is only a 16' Werner with 3 breaks. Has the wire handle going across that you need to pull to disengage the cogs from the sprockets at each break. From the weight ya'd think it was made from cast alum instead of extruded.

I'd send it to ya for free sir dial, but I really am to poor to afford the shipping.

andial, smooth, Lt Dan and 1 other person like this.
  25. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    are you Razing that house by hand??? .....crap with a trackhoe and dumpster coulda had it down and loaded before lunch and even sorted out copper etc if you wanted.......(noticed the meter was still active would need Utilities disconnected LOL)

26. stonedywankanobe

Yep utilizes are still hot and they had a mini excavator they will take back for a big boy.

We were geared up to remodel even had a lumber package inbound when we got the call.

So all in all just a big cluster feck but like silver has taught me, just roll with the punches.

27. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Silver Miner Site Supporter

Man! I need to stay AWAY from this thread. From the first few pages I've read so far, I gotta say it looks like you do damn good work andial and stonedywankanobe (could I shorten that to 'stoney' in the future?). I'm just an amateur here but I'm gonna be lurkin' in the background and maybe piss y'all off with some stupid questions. And I'm gonna read the rest of the thread.

Again good work fellas.

BF

andial and stonedywankanobe like this.
  28. mayhem

Retired
    Pfffffffttttttt!
    The only stupid question is the one ya didn't ask.

29. Bottom Feeder

Hey! I'm gonna write that one down.

30. andial

Feeder? Did you see my ladder cutting post yet? let me go delete it.

stonedywankanobe and Lt Dan like this.
  31. Bottom Feeder

You don't need to be cuttin' off your ladders. Keep your eyes open on the freeway and pick one up for free. Not only shortened but bent sometimes too.

BF

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  32. mayhem

Retired
    When yur high rolling it like Sir Dial ya just 'customize' what ya got for the need, then add the price of a new one onto the job. :D Time is money, I've done that more times than I can remember.

Forget to put a 6' ladder on the truck? cheaper to go to a HD that's on the way and buy a new one than to backtrack. Maybe that's why I have three of them around here somewhere.

:truck2:

andial and Bottom Feeder like this.
  33. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    I bought a 20' extension ladder today. Was on sale at Lowe's. Already got some caulking on it. Was working on a garage roof today, getting it ready for metal. Metal should go on tomorrow. Getting to old for this.

I had a 16' ladder at my son's house, think that one found legs, so I kinda needed a new one.

andial, smooth, mayhem and 1 other person like this.
  34. stonedywankanobe

How come junior isn't helping pop's Lt?
    If I was within say 300 miles I'd zoom over and give you a hand Mr.

Lt Dan likes this.
  35. stonedywankanobe

We started the little lake house project Tuesday and I've been sick as heck sirs. Aching real bad, fever, cough and generally feeling about half dead.

I felt better er today and now have the energy to post again so.

This should be a neat little place when we're done. 42x26, living quarters upstairs with a 12x26 covered deck facing Greers Ferry lake out back.

The lower level has a single car garage and pull through boat storage, the place is being built primarily as a weekend get away rental.
    20170322_134216.jpg

Got the lvl's in today, floor trusses in and put the advantek floor down and said fuck this shit let's go home.
    Should have the walls up and a roof started tomorrow.

20170323_132147.jpg

andial, glockngold, Lt Dan and 2 others like this.
  36. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    He has a day job sitting at a desk mostly, I think, not sure what it is he does as I've not visited him at work. He made up his mind a long time ago, he did not intend to work with or even do the kind of work I did. Work on his own projects and honey do's, yes, because he does know how, no to working much with me.

Nice work on that lake house.

37. andial

IMG_0470.JPG Back at the hippie's house.

38. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    My son and i have a hard time working together.....I am used to being in charge and have actually done many many things ...he is a engineer and incredibly bright and great worker.......we always have slightly different ways of doing things.....one of us usually has to "stand down" and follow the others plan and that is hard for both of us......as i age i am getting better at making suggestions and then following his plan which allows him to learn practical solutions.....

39. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

The newest kitchen in a semi-custom. 15781011_10209670784705177_5187311569584741735_n.jpg

andial, Lt Dan, mayhem and 1 other person like this.
  40. stonedywankanobe

Dialbro, look at how those carpenters broke that header wall on that double cripple, sharp fellas.

Very clean demo there sir.

andial and Lt Dan like this.