1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Worse than we think........

Discussion in 'Politics Forum (Local/National/World)' started by Uglytruth, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Congressman Says Corruption in Washington Is ‘Worse Than You Think’
    Rachel del Guidice / @LRacheldG / April 14, 2017 / comments

[​IMG]
    Rep. Ken Buck, R-Colo., just released a new book detailing government corruption, entitled, “Drain the Swamp: How Washington Corruption is Worse Than You Think.” (Photo: Bill Clark/CQ Roll Call/Newscom)

Corruption on Capitol Hill is “worse than you think,” according to Colorado Rep. Ken Buck.

“When you first get here, you think that you are in some sort of fairy-tale novel,” Buck, a Republican, said. “They wine and dine you and they show you just exactly what it’s like if you play the game. It’s a wonderful life.”

Things quickly change, however, if “you don’t play the game.”

“If you don’t play the game … it becomes a much less conformable existence here,” Buck said.

Buck, who has served Colorado’s 4th Congressional District since 2015, also previewed his new book, “Drain the Swamp: How Washington Corruption is Worse Than You Think,” which was published on Tuesday.

Chapters in Buck’s book include “Why Washington is a Swamp,” “Play the Game–Or Else,” “Beating the Beltway Bullies,” and “What You Can Do To Drain the Swamp.”

Buck said his book addresses corruption present in government today that he was not prepared for after being elected to Congress in 2014.

“One of the things that I found startling when I got here is that you have to pay dues to be on a committee,” Buck said.

During the time he served on the House Judiciary Committee, Buck said he had to pay periodic dues of $200,000 to the National Republican Congressional Committee, the campaign committee of the House of Representatives.

Now, as a member of the House Rules Committee, Buck’s periodic dues are $450,000.

The obligation to pay dues, Buck said, forces members of Congress to hold fundraising receptions and encourages corrupt influences from special interest organizations who attend the fundraisers.

“Who comes to those receptions with checks?” Buck said. “Lobbyists, special interests that want something in return. So there is a game that goes on that you owe the party money and you are expected to vote with the chairman and you are expected to help special interests groups in Washington, D.C.”

Buck said there is also a significant amount of corruption in how Congress justifies spending for new project or programs.

“In the book, I list very specific ways that we need to change the incentives that we have in Congress,” Buck said. “I talk about … what we call ‘pay–fors.’ When we have new spending, we find ways to pay for that new spending program.”

Some of the ways Congress could pay for a new project or program are through tax increases or cuts to other programs, both of which are unlikely, Buck said.

Instead, Congress “makes up” sources of revenue.

Buck explains:

So we pass a transportation bill, and in the transportation bill we say that we’re going to sell oil in a strategic petroleum reserve to pay for that transportation bill. Now, what’s fascinating about this is that the average price that that oil was purchased at is $76. The price when we sold that oil was $48. Only in government is that considered a profit.

An issue with this system, Buck said, is that revenues from “pay–fors” have already been accounted for.

“One of the problems is that that barrel of oil that was used in the transportation bill as a ‘pay–for’ was already sold twice before,” Buck said.

This form of governing, Buck said, is irresponsible.

“If everything’s been paid for for so long, how did we get $20 trillion dollars in debt?” Buck said.

In an effort to bring transparency to the “pay–for” phenomenon, Buck introduced a bill last Thursday that would require the Office of Management and Budget to track and report the revenue that “pay–fors” actually bring.

“One of the bills that I just recently dropped would ask the Office of Management and Budget to do an annual report to Congress so it is available to the American people on how much revenue did those ‘payfors’ generate,” Buck said.

Buck’s goal, he said, is to educate the American people about the corruption in government so they are not as naive as Buck found himself when he started working in Congress.

“Before I got here, I knew that D.C. was broken, I didn’t know the specifics,” Buck said. “I’m hoping that by giving the American public the specifics, we actually have the record out there just … to make sure that people are aware.”

Son of Gloin, smooth, Scorpio and 7 others like this.
  2. Buck

Buck Fabian Society Gold Chaser

Yep, it's worse than I though
    Pay To Play comes from the parties, Republican and Democrat

The Democratic Party needs to be banned for the manipulation that party inflicted in the last Presidential Election
    That's a Federal Crime and that party should be abolished, never to return

The Republican Party needs to be banned for the manipulation of the US Federal Government, as an institution
    Pay To Play, when on a committee, only invites more corruption, at Our Expense

This hasn't been a lawful country for decades and the criminals still run the show

3. Howdy

Howdy Silver Member Silver Miner

That was a poor career move. He could have played along and made a pile of money and sold us and our future down the river instead. What a fool.

Aurumag likes this.
  4. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

Silver stacker
    I don't see how it's worse than what I think. I have a very grim and dark outlook.

I think there are pedophile rings, human organ trade, satanic worshipping, cronyism, massive surveillance, drug dealings, murder, fraud and cover ups, blackmail, you name it, it's all going on and headquartered in DC.

Donald Trump would have had to sacrificed a baby it to be worse than what I thought.

Son of Gloin, pitw, <SLV> and 9 others like this.
  5. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    Where do these people get that kind of money to keep playing along?

TAEZZAR likes this.
  6. gliddenralston

gliddenralston Gold Member Gold Chaser

lobbyist, that's part of the fee to control the vote. All congressional lobbying should be banned.

7. Howdy

Howdy Silver Member Silver Miner

The Federal Reserve bank. Issued out of thin air.

8. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

This puts lobbying right where it belongs !!

Bribery vs lobbying.jpg

9. Garyw

Garyw The Military gave me Defoliant Exposure Silver Miner

tired and retired
    I would thank him by buying his book if I had any expendable income. I really appreciate his service at the end of his term and hope he makes a ton of money selling his book.

10. mayhem

mayhem Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter

I've read many times that a congressman need's to raise 20k a DAY to survive, and build a reserve for re-election. It has been that way for a loooong time now, this is not new.

It's a big club, and you ain't in it. -- the late George Carlin

TAEZZAR and Buck like this.
  11. Buck

It may not be new but that won't ever change the fact that it's wrong and until any of it is changed, and it will have to be a permanent change, things won't ever get "better"

Change could happen faster if there were some indictments

12. mayhem

Plus 100 for your optimism. It all starts locally with the Chamber of Commence. This is where they learn the rules of the game. If you don't have the local CoC endorsement you will NOT get elected period.
    That said a few indictments in DC won't have much of a ripple in the whole system. We need to have a total breakdown and start all over again. I'll be long gone by then so I'm not gonna worry about it. I'll help ya though Buck if you desire to set out on changing things.

13. Aurumag

Aurumag Dimly lit. Highly reflective Midas Member Site Supporter

Lightwave Jockey
    I will jump onto Shootist's bandwagon and optimistically hope that we experience a full systemic breakdown, and that you will join us as both a witness and perhaps even an active participant.

I look forward to both the demo and the foundational rebuild.

TAEZZAR and mayhem like this.
  14. Buck

Let's face it, that IS where the profit really lies
    Whether it be digital, physical, communal, hell, who knows

there'll still be a profit stream somewhere, so catch one where you can, and you'll probably do just fine in most areas without firing a single shot

eh, stack on

Aurumag and TAEZZAR like this.
  15. edsl48

edsl48 Silver Member Silver Miner

>>Your honor before you decide on the guilt or innocence of my client here is $1,000.<<

I don't know what it is like where you are at but here in the political cesspool of Illinois Judges run for office so then naturally they have campaign funds that the lawyers throw money at. I have read on some serious dollars being thrown at the campaign funds particularly from some of the personal injury attorneys and perhaps that is why my area hears class action cases from across the nation in our plaintiff friendly courts. Happens on a daily basis here.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  16. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

I live in a crony liars club where the judges & liars have it so wrapped up that you cannot go outside the county for a liar, they won't come here !!!!!!
    I am presently in a legal battle. The liar on the other side ran for judge & my liars liar firm DONATED MONEY TO HIS CAMPAINGN !!!! When I confronted them about the conflict of interest, I was told that it was SOP !!!!

ALSO, I know someone that paid money to a judge, through his liar, to dismiss a DUI ticket !!!

17. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

20 years logging
  18. keef

keef Пальто Crude Platinum Bling

Retired Hoser
    Nothing is as dark as you think, well, maybe the 3rd ring of Dante's Inferno.

It's more like Harvard's Hasty Pudding Club. Winner take ALL. We RULE.
    [​IMG]
    Joke's on you, Red States.

19. mayhem

Every day occurrence from where I sit. In 1977 my e-wife was working for Sun bank when she was busted for embezzling (small amounts, but enough). Her liar said for $500 he could get the case thrown out as he knew the judge. She paid, case diapered. The judge went on to United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida, and wound up impeached by Congress. In 1993 he ran for the Federal House of Representatives and won. He is still there to this day. His name is Alcee Hastings.

TAEZZAR likes this.