1. Repeal of kenyan care to happen today, Markets choppy as direction is lacking
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Fri Morning! Gold is down 2.9 to 1244, while Silver is +2 to 1761. Crude is +32 to 4802. The USD is down 8 to 9948.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 3/18/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1230.20-- UP 28.8 Silver $17.41-- UP 49 Oil $49.31-- UP 82 TICS USD $100.11 -- DOWN 100 tics Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE 2017 $1299.09 (1), SAE $20.54 (20)

Zero Turn Mowers

Discussion in 'Tools and Fixtures Ratings Threads' started by #48Fan, Feb 22, 2017.

1. #48Fan

#48Fan Silver Member Silver Miner

I'm in the market for a zero turn. Will be my first. I'm tired of mowing my 2 acres with my worn out Craftsman. Looking to spend $5000 or less if possible. Wondering if anyone had any recommendations or things to watch out for.

Right now, I'm considering a Bobcat. Never realized they made mowers, but my local dealer is a really nice and helpful feller. I've dealt with him in the past for parts, blades, etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. <SLV>

<SLV> Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

I love my Hustler. I have a Raptor HD with the Kawasaki motor. Nothing better for this price in the market. There is so much demand for the Kawasaki motor that they can't get enough for their Raptor product line anymore, so you would have to upgrade. But I wouldn't get anything but a Kawasaki if I wanted it to last for life.

My Raptor HD doesn't have a fully boxed frame, and that is the only thing I wished it had. The Fastrak does, however. I upgraded with the spring loaded front forks, and the difference in ride is substantial. I also added a pair of LED headlights I got off Amazon so I can finish up at dusk.

When I bought it they were offering 0% interest on a 4 year loan. I paid $4,300+tax, so my payments are $95ish per month.

historyrepete and mayhem like this.
  3. D-FENZ

D-FENZ Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

I use a Country Clipper with a 54" deck and a 25 hp Kohler engine and I love it. But anything is better than the JD 318 that I used to use. It cut my mowing time from 8 hours plus trimming to 2 hours flat with almost no need for trimming. Zero turn is the only way to go.

A couple pieces of advice: There are lots of good quality mowers out there. Just make sure yours is hydrostatic drive with separate hydro units for each drive wheel. Avoid cheaper ones with a single hydro. And don't worry too much about the deck width. The newer units are so fast that a few inches wider in deck width doesn't mean it is that much faster. And depending on the lay of your land, wider decks will be more prone to scalping and are harder to get into small areas.

Hystckndle and mayhem like this.
  4. historyrepete

historyrepete Silver Member Silver Miner

Toro,but for the most part i think they're all stamped out from one source, 54''with 23hp kawasaki and yea rough ride in my back acre.

5. #48Fan

Thanks for the replies. I keep seeing something about the size of the transmission. Like, don't buy anything under a 3100? Haven't seen any hustler dealers in my town, that I know of.
    Been wondering about deck size as well. My craftsman is 42" and is too damn small. I'm mowing approx 2 acres, mostly flat and smooth other than the roadside ditch. Many trees with large roots. Takes me about 4 hours on a nice dry day.

6. mayhem

mayhem A Different Perspective Seeker

Retired
    10-4 on the wider decks. I had to quit doing mine 4 years ago. Bought a Dixie Chopper 54" used when RE went belly up and all the lawn service Co.'s with them. The guy who does my 1-1/2 acre now uses a Gravley(sp) 60" and it does leave some low edges. Then to he might have a bent spindle, or a bent deck at the spindle. Quite common if ya don't pay attention and it grab a low stump. He works on call and that works for me. Everyone else wants a yearly contract. All the beaners left long ago.

@<SLV> I did like that Hustler with the flip up deck for ease of blade changing. :-)

7. bb28

bb28 Silver Member Silver Miner

Why not a scythe? I just bought my first one and am planning to use it for mowing.

bb

Goldhedge likes this.
  8. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

I have a lot of old pasture with hills I mow.
    On the advice of a landscaper, I bought a used (500hr) Scagg Turf Tiger 61" deck, Kawasaki.
    It's a beast, & I knock the snot out of it.
    So far, so good.
    PS,
    Always turn uphill.
    If you get into trouble, just stop.

9. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

Don't know anything about Bobcat mowers.
    Found this interesting: http://www.schillergc.com/
    whichever mower you get, don't scrimp on the seat.
    You will be able to travel remarkably fast, and feel every bump.
    Even with my suspension seat, lower back suffers after a day in the saddle.

10. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Get some goats and cows. Never need to change the oil, but watch where you walk.

Goldhedge likes this.
  11. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
  12. mayhem

Retired
  13. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

737 JD, 23hp Kawasaki (same bore & stroke as the 25hp engine), 60" cut, heavy duty rectangular steel frame. Great mower. Only complaint is a general one and I don't know if any manufactures make a rear discharge. Discharge is always on the right so when you go around a tree your always turning to the left and inside tire ends up killing, tearing up the grass. In a high wind you can get covered in grass. I bought a used commercial used mower with 100 hrs on it. Not great for hills but I'm able to mow my ditch fine.

14. #48Fan

Did I mention the Bobcat has a 6yr/600 hr limited warranty.

15. mayhem

Retired
    That's why they make string trimmers. Just think of it like NASCAR, always turning left.

Aside, I don't think it would be at all possible to make a flat blade rear discharge mower.

16. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

I figured they didn't want to run over the rear discharged grass with the rear tires. It would clump on the tires.

17. Howdy

Howdy Silver Member Silver Miner

Whatever you buy, don't leave ethanol laced gas in the fuel system during the winter. It will gum everything up. If you can't buy non-ethanol gas, use AV gas or run the system completely dry in the fall. Fuel stabilizer is not enough to keep the ethanol gas good all winter, unless you have a very short winter.

Goldhedge likes this.
  18. #48Fan

Roger that, I only run premium non ethanol.

19. Goldfinger

Goldfinger Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

My very strong advice to you; buy once, cry once. I found that out the hard way. I bought a residential model zero turn for $3,800. Within about a year of having it, I clipped the deck on a stump and broke the mowing deck loose. The next thing i know, I'm having to try and spot weld the thing back every other time I was mowing because it kept breaking loose. Then the Briggs & Stratton on it started crapping out on me and became a real SOB to start. I said the hell with it and went and bought myself a Scag Tiger Cat. Its a beast. I doubt I'll ever have to buy another mower. You could probably find one with low hours used within your price range. Or, your local dealer may have an interest free same as cash deal going. I know a lot of folks around here seethe at the thought of taking a loan, but interest free is interest free. Whatever you do, I would strongly advise you spend the extra $ and get a commercial mower with either a Kawasaki or maybe a Kohler engine.

Uglytruth likes this.