• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

2009 - 2010 Penny THREAD

AGRO

Seeker
Seeker
wELp --- It was a POLL...

Hello all,

I mentioned in another thread I got a 2009 Sitting Abe penny the other day after sorting 5 USD in rolls. (500 "pence") -- the Copper avg = 15+/-per roll. Usually I pull about 3 or 4 wheaties from this. Not One.

500 + Pennies 1 Sitting Abe.?.?. Maybe we are seeing the beginning of the end for our Pennies.

BUT, I did get ONE LONE 2009 "sitting Abe" penny!!! It stuck out like a sore thumb!!! I actually like the coin.

SO, SO, SO! Have any of you gotten 2009 Sitting Abe's?? In change? Sorting? Off the Floor? Seems Like these little suckers are quite sparse..

It is now 2010. I think I have seen about 3 2009 "Abe sitting" to date. I have NEVER got the Log Cabin or any other 09 in change either.

gilmoujr

I've seen all varieties so far. Ever time I (or my family) see one I keep it regardless of condition. I have a set that is from some company that is like a little pamphlet with the variety from each mint in it. each pamphlet describes the reason for the particular reverse and has a small history lesson about Lincoln in it. They are decent but I am mostly interested in the uncirculated nature of the coins contained in each.

wiper

Seeker
Seeker
i sort through pennies in my spare time (don't ask!), and have probably sorted 10,000 or so in the month or two.

wheaties are probably actually more common than the '09 lincolns. i've probably found 20-25 of the lincolns. probably double that for wheaties.

i blame this forum for the obsession with sorting pennies by the way. found the old thread as a lurker, and decided i was gonna pull the coppers out of the $125ish worth of pennies i had. almost done, probably only about $15-20 left to go. it's relaxing to me i guess. i'll just get a beer, put about 2 handfuls on the table, and the 'good' ones get the coffee can, the 'bad' ones get a giant container.

my goal was to get through all of them, but now i think i'm gonna bring the 'bad' container to my dad, weigh it, and take back that much in unsorted pennies.

jesus i need a life. :)

Each Zincoln weighs 2.5 grams. I wouldn't weigh them. Just take them to your bank that has a FREE coin counter.

If you decide to get more pennys to sort, DO NOT get them from the same bank you dumped the Zincolns at.

Most of you probably know this this, but I thought I would pass it along in case a few of you don't.

When dumping and your coins are rolled, the bank MUST take them if you are depositing them in your account. They are legal tender and can not be turned down.

The bank can no longer require you to spend time writing your name and account number on the rolls you deposit. The recent changes to the privacy laws prohibit it. However if you are not depositing them they do have the right to refuse them.

There are tellers who are still out there who get an attitude and try to make you spend time doing it, but if that happens simple say that your would like to speak to the manager to make a complaint concerning a violation of the privacy laws and they tend to become much more reasonable.

http://realcent.forumco.com/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=15797&#130155

SilverCat

Seeker
Seeker
I wouldn't think you'd see many of these pennies when you consider that they had fairly low mintage numbers and there are billions of every other kind already out there. I have only seen about five or six of them in circulation and one of them I found in a parking lot.

Last edited:

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I've been finding a lot while hand sorting here. Have hundreds pulled by now. Finding all 4 varieties in various numbers.

I've only found 3 - 2010 so far however.

Attachments

latemetal

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Re: 2009 - 2010 Penny THREAD and error report.

And just to add to the fun, look out for the 2009 double thumb error, a fleamarket guy showed me a bunch. The Lincoln penny with Abe reading is the one to check.:fisheye:

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Double thumb? What exactly is that?

Thanks

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Thank you for the link.

AGRO

Seeker
Seeker
JUST SCORED a roll of 2009 "Standing Abes" at the Drug store around the corner.

I was surprised two see two of them come out in my change. So I asked the clerk if I could buy $5 worth. Only had one roll available and a few loosies.

Really wanted the "Log Cabins" or "Sitting Abes" But these will do. Too bad they didn't mint a specialty batch in real CU.

I must say they are a tad on the "chintzy" side and one of the roll end is showing zinc already...

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Got a 2010 yesterday at the bank.

That makes only 4 2010 pennies that I have found so far.