• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

2011 1oz Silver Canadian Timber Wolf

I got an e-mail from APMEX a few days back about pre-ordering the new 2011 1oz Silver Canadian Timber Wolf coins. I've got a few of the old 2006 (I think) 1/2ozers laying around.

Anyone planning on scooping any of these up and think they will be slightly harder to come by like their predecessors with a low mintage? Or anyone think there is nothing special about them? I like the design enough I think.

SongSungAU

Midas Member
Midas Member
Anyone planning on scooping any of these up and think they will be slightly harder to come by like their predecessors with a low mintage?
I got the email yesterday afternoon and ordered some. I'm glad I didn't wait until today since the price is higher now.

How many are to be minted?

I don't know if they will be hard to come by in the future or not. I just ordered some because I like the way they look.

2011Wolf.jpg

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I LOVE dogs and this is their great grand DADDY...

APMEX says: The Royal Canadian Mint has placed a strict and low mintage on these coins.

Who knows what that means though, I haven't heard/read the mintage numbers from anywhere else yet.

Godot

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Looks nice. Does it come with a 5.00 CAD face value?

(edit)Sorry - being lazy. I see it does... nicely printed under that hag.

Tecumseh

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Its a cool coin.... I wonder how it will look with milk spots all over it.

SongSungAU

Midas Member
Midas Member
Its a cool coin.... I wonder how it will look with milk spots all over it.
I'll let you know when I receive mine. That's IF they have spots on them. I read comments on this forum about the regular Silver Maples having a problem with spots before I ordered mine in July. I almost didn't order any because of the comments. I decided to place a small order just to see. I'm glad I did. The Silver Maples arrived and were just fine.... no spots. I turned around and ordered more because I liked them.

Hopefully I will have the same experience with the Wolf coins. I am hoping.

SNICKLE 1980

Seeker
Seeker
i missed out on the halve wolves way back when, so i'll be picking up some full wolves if the price isnt ungodly. i'll at least get 3 or 5. i missed the boat on the 20th aniversery eagles and a few other boats. what can i say...i'm cheap, but i love wolves.

Oldmansmith

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I have some 1/2 oz. wolves, definitely a nice looking coin. Will pick up some of these for sure.

i missed out on the halve wolves way back when, so i'll be picking up some full wolves if the price isnt ungodly. i'll at least get 3 or 5. i missed the boat on the 20th aniversery eagles and a few other boats. what can i say...i'm cheap, but i love wolves.
I to regret not picking up a few more halves. The dealer suggested that they
would bomb because they were ugly and too expensive.(doh)

Last edited:

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Nice looking coin, it will look good with the kooks and other critters in the silver bag.

EDIT: $50 minimum and $15 shipping????? Keeripe! I'll wait and see if one washes up in the coin shop. :vollkommenauf:

NEBULOUS

Seeker
Seeker
I have two sheets of the 2006 issue. I will have to get these as well, but these do not appear to have the same level of detail and finish as the 2006 ones (comparing photos on APMEX's site, that is). I would love to acquire one of he 2007 1/25 ounce gold versions as well, but they are all but impossible to find.

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/uploaded/realpenny/2010515_GoldCoins.jpg

SNICKLE 1980

Seeker
Seeker
i actually ordered a semi-numi wolf!

50 min order isnt that bad when you're dealing with 20.00 silver. get two and a couple mercs and your order reaches 50.00

i started out thinking i was going to get 3 or 5, but i guess yall know how it goes with silver. i snagged 15 lol. this is actually my second dealing with apmex and i have no doubt they'll come through in spades. my only question is this...why do they have that "special request" box? seems alotta sites have that now and i'm always forced to come up with something creative. last time, i told apmex
"how bout some popcorn for a first time customer!"
well anyway...i await my wolves. gunna have to have my buddy send em down when they arive. i'm still gettin set up down here.

apmex wolf order lol.jpg

dmaddox

Seeker
Seeker
Re: i actually ordered a semi-numi wolf!

I picked up a roll of 25 from Gainesville. The price was a bit cheaper than A***X.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

A couple people were asking about the mintage number, this straight from the RCM website:

Ottawa, Ontario – September 9, 2010 – The Royal Canadian Mint is proud to announce that investors world-wide can now buy the 2011 "Wolf" silver bullion coin; the first in a new series of Canadian Wildlife silver 9999 fine one-ounce bullion coins. The Mint's Ottawa facility will produce one million coins showcasing this theme and will introduce a minimum of two annual issues over the next three years. These exciting new silver bullion coins will be priced on the same market rate as the Mint's world-famous Silver Maple Leaf bullion coin.

"The Royal Canadian Mint is renowned world-wide for the quality, purity and design of its silver bullion coins and we are excited that that the 2011 "Wolf" coin enhances the profile of our silver bullion product family in a very competitive market," said Ian E. Bennett, President and CEO of the Royal Canadian Mint. "Distinctly Canadian themes such as nature and wildlife are popular among silver buyers, especially in Europe, and we are very pleased that the one million coin mintage has been fully allocated to our distributors."

The reverse "Wolf" silver bullion coin is struck from one ounce of 99.99% pure silver and bears a $5 face value. The wolf design is the work of Senior Mint Engraver William Woodruff. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, created in 2003 by Canadian portrait artist Susanna Blunt.

The 2011 "Wolf" silver bullion coin are available through the Mint's extensive network of bullion dealers. The next issue in this six-coin series will be announced in early 2011.

http://www.mint.ca/store/news/royal...+Releases&nId=700002&nodeGroup=About+the+Mint

I'm reading that as 1 million coins per design, but it's not crystal clear if it's 1M total for the 6 designs. (?)

dmaddox

Seeker
Seeker

Has anyone received their coins yet, or when is the actual date of shipping from the Mint?

SongSungAU

Midas Member
Midas Member

Has anyone received their coins yet, or when is the actual date of shipping from the Mint?
I just received an email today that they (APMEX) shipped mine today via USPS.

Last edited:

dmaddox

Seeker
Seeker

I just received an email today that they (APMEX) shipped mine today via USPS.
I got an email last night stating that Gainsville just received the coins and will be shipping out the next business day.

Gold Rules

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
The USPS just delivered the tubes i ordered

VERY nice coins..........:23_30_104:

:thumbs_up:

earplugs

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling

A couple people were asking about the mintage number, this straight from the RCM website:

I'm reading that as 1 million coins per design, but it's not crystal clear if it's 1M total for the 6 designs. (?)
I emailed rcm and they said it was 1 million global for this design.

jogslvr

Gold Miser
Gold Chaser

I ordered a tube from Provident a couple days ago. Their website says they are in stock and shipping daily but I've not received email notice that mine are on the way.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

got a tube +1 today. Looking forward to seeing them. :)

This thread is worthless without pics of your new arrivals :biggrin:

Half tempted to order a monster box of these coins. Would certainly be a nice boost to my small stack (~80 oz silver, 2 oz gold). Silver has risen so much in the past months that I'd like to see a drop before buying though.

Heads_Up

Seeker
Seeker

Picked up a few at my coin shop yesterday at lunch. They will go nicely with my 1/2 oz wolves.

My only problem is that I keep looking for this thread in the buying PM heading as it is just bullion.

SongSungAU

Midas Member
Midas Member

This thread is worthless without pics of your new arrivals :biggrin:
I'm no TomD but I will post a pic of one of the coins I received.

MyWolf.jpg

jogslvr

Gold Miser
Gold Chaser

Will anyone try to have any of these graded and slabbed? Looking thru my tube I wouldn't, as the hairy old wolf was a little rough on the hag's smooth cheek, plus the edges could be better. I picture these coming out of the press and falling into a barrel before packing.

dmaddox

Seeker
Seeker

The roll I purchased from Gainsville all of them looked really good. You would think with the lines on the coin next to the wolf would get beat up if they all fell into a large barrel. The moon, the hill the wolf is standing on, and the picture of Queen Elizabeth II, Old Hag, all have a mirror finish, almost proof like. To me it is not a typical bullion coin. Just my opinion though.

SongSungAU

Midas Member
Midas Member

The moon, the hill the wolf is standing on, and the picture of Queen Elizabeth II, Old Hag, all have a mirror finish, almost proof like. To me it is not a typical bullion coin. Just my opinion though.
I agree. I think it's a very nice looking coin. I wish the Silver American Eagles were as shiny. The 2010 SAEs I have are not shiny... they have more of a satin finish or something. Kind of dull and not as attractive as it would be if parts of the SAE had a shiny, mirror-like finish. The Canadian Timber Wolf coin is more pleasing to look at because of the shiny portions than my Silver American Eagles, in my opinion. I'm very glad I bought the Timber Wolf coins and I plan on buying some of each coin in the series. I wonder how long before they introduce the 2nd coin for 2011....

dmaddox

Seeker
Seeker

I agree. I think it's a very nice looking coin. I wish the Silver American Eagles were as shiny. The 2010 SAEs I have are not shiny... they have more of a satin finish or something. Kind of dull and not as attractive as it would be if parts of the SAE had a shiny, mirror-like finish. The Canadian Timber Wolf coin is more pleasing to look at because of the shiny portions than my Silver American Eagles, in my opinion. I'm very glad I bought the Timber Wolf coins and I plan on buying some of each coin in the series. I wonder how long before they introduce the 2nd coin for 2011....
I also plan on buying a roll of each coin in the set.

The next coin in the serie is scheduled to be released in March 2011, at least, that's what I've been told.

torpedoman

I got the email yesterday afternoon and ordered some. I'm glad I didn't wait until today since the price is higher now.

How many are to be minted?

I don't know if they will be hard to come by in the future or not. I just ordered some because I like the way they look.

View attachment 3532
that side is beautiful the dog on the other side ruins it.

dmaddox

Seeker
Seeker
I just got an email from APMEX doing something to the rolls of coins calling them direct from the mint and doing some sort of sealing process to the tubes. I guess they need to sell their inventory, and also not look like they are picking out the good ones, and mailing out the rest.

jogslvr

Gold Miser
Gold Chaser
For those who received new tubes, I suggest re-stacking these coins with the Hag's face, cheek to cheek. The coins look great to the naked eye but under 10x you may likely see light scratches on the hag's cheek from the wolf's ass. I saw this as well as some with reed marks on the smooth surfaces. I wish they had offered a few encapsulated proofs since this is supposed to be a set. The dealers may offer some MS70's in the future but I don't think many tube buyers will have such luck.

Eroberer

Seeker
Seeker
I just bought one of these along with a couple of the new Kooks. I might buy more, but I only buy a few ounces at a time because I have to pay a 7% tax on them.

SNICKLE 1980

Seeker
Seeker
i snagged 15, got the "we sent em " letter but they got lost in the philly postal system. apmex sorted it out for me, being the cool people they are and i'll get em soon.