• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

2019 American Legion Commemorative Coins

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner
2019 American Legion Commemorative Coins

Available on 3/14:

https://catalog.usmint.gov/the-amer...d-5-gold-coin-19CK.html?cgid=product-schedule

https://catalog.usmint.gov/the-amer...silver-dollar-19CM.html?cgid=product-schedule

https://catalog.usmint.gov/the-amer...d-half-dollar-19CP.html?cgid=product-schedule

My first take on this commemorative theme:

The first thing that comes to mind is that 2019 offers two different commemorative themes that both offer gold, silver, and clad coins. Moreover, the other theme Apollo is bound to take the lion's share of US Mint sales, due to its immense popularity. Like we saw in 2016, both Mark Twain and National Park mintage numbers were quite low, despite both themes being very popular, as collectors had to allocate their dry powder across the various offerings in both commemorative themes.

The 2017 Boys Town scored record low numbers in all categories thanks to the very low popularity of the theme. The Breast Cancer theme of 2018 was somewhat popular, but this was reflected only in the proof coin sales, while unc coin sales were comparable to Boys Town.

My feeling is that this year's American Legion theme is no more popular than Breast Cancer. The main difference is that Legion and Apollo both occur in 2019, and the lion's share of sales that will inevitably be claimed by Apollo will leave mere crumbs for American Legion sales. And coming later during the year will also help keep final sales down for American Legion.

Not as popular as National Park by far, but popular enough to have recognition for collectors.

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Thanks starter, the suspense was killin me.

The $5 isn't too bad looking. The others look all of the other failed commems to me.
Beauty is in the eye of the wallet holder
These 'failed commems' as you call them will be worth a small fortune in a few years, the small mintages alone qualify them as Key Issues in this series and there are lots of collectors of these coins

It'll take a while for the secondary market to reflect this valuation, it always does, and these 'failed' issues will not be any different than say a 1996D Paralympic Unc Silver Dollar now floating around $250

You can call them anything you like, I'll call them profitable as I'm still picking the new one's up for, 35-125 per certified coin, (depends on the grade).

Great Time to be a collector

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Beauty is in the eye of the wallet holder
These 'failed commems' as you call them will be worth a small fortune in a few years, the small mintages alone qualify them as Key Issues in this series and there are lots of collectors of these coins

It'll take a while for the secondary market to reflect this valuation, it always does, and these 'failed' issues will not be any different than say a 1996D Paralympic Unc Silver Dollar now floating around $250

You can call them anything you like, I'll call them profitable as I'm still picking the new one's up for, 35-125 per certified coin, (depends on the grade).

Great Time to be a collector

I agree.

Although the relative lack of interest indicated by low sales from the Mint puts temporary downward pressure on secondary market prices--for example, with the 2017 Boys Town clad and silver coins--the coins will gradually move out of the hands of owners with weak hands and into those of true collectors. The very low mintage numbers mean that the supply of coins under those owners will eventually be depleted, and fundamental market forces will push prices upward.

The commemorative style of coins established over the last 35 years has a long history with many winners established over that time, mostly from low mintage.

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Thanks starter, the suspense was killin me.

The $5 isn't too bad looking. The others look all of the other failed commems to me.

The $5 gold unc has some background traits that should help its prices in the secondary market:

1) A good design with a relatively patriotic theme.

2) Concurrent mintage with a $5 gold unc coin from a different commemorative theme of the same year (Apollo).

3) Concurrent mintage with a $5 gold unc coin from a different, but much more popular, commemorative theme of the same year (Apollo).

4) Concurrent mintage with a $5 gold proof coin from the 3-coin set of the same commemorative theme.

The American Legion theme looks a lot like the Lyons Club theme of 2017. The 2017 Lions Club $1 silver unc ended the year with a mintage of 17,250, or several thousand coins higher than the 2017 Boys Town $1 silver unc, which ended at 12,313.

The key factor for this coin will be the mintage. If it can end the year with a mintage below 5,000, I think it will be a winner. I will need to see the first 2 or 3 sales reports of this coin to decide whether I should buy more than one, just one, or none.