• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

2020 Citizenship Question - Gone With The Wind

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
2020 Census Won’t Have Citizenship Question as Trump Administration Drops Effort

NYT
Michael Wines
4 mins ago

'WASHINGTON — The Trump administration said Tuesday that it had ordered the Census Bureau to start printing forms for the 2020 census without a question asking about citizenship, abandoning its quest to add the query after being blocked last week by the Supreme Court.

The decision was a victory for critics who said the question was part of an administration effort to skew the census results in favor of Republicans.

It was also a remarkable retreat for an administration that typically digs into such fights.

Just last week after the Supreme Court’s decision, President Trump said he was asking his lawyers to delay the census, “no matter how long,” in order to fight for the question in court.

It was unclear what prompted the administration to walk away from its effort.

Word of the action came in a one-sentence email from the Justice Department to lawyers for plaintiffs in a New York lawsuit that sought to block the question’s inclusion in the head count.

The email offered no explanation, but the administration faced weeks or months of additional legal challenges to the question even as the Census Bureau had said it had to begin printing questionnaires by July 1 to meet the April 2020 deadline for conducting the census.

The Supreme Court last week rejected the administration’s stated reason for adding a question on citizenship to the census, and while the decision was not a conclusive ruling, the justices placed a daunting hurdle before the government.

Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said in a statement Tuesday evening that he respected the Supreme Court, but strongly disagreed with its ruling.

“The Census Bureau has started the process of printing the decennial questionnaires without the question,” he said. “My focus, and that of the Bureau and the entire Department is to conduct a complete and accurate census.”

Dale Ho, director of the Voting Rights Project at the American Civil Liberties Union, which was among the plaintiffs trying to block the question, said, “Everyone in America counts in the census, and today’s decision means we all will.”

The administration’s decision appeared to end a yearlong battle over whether the Commerce Department broke the law when it decided in March 2018 to tack a citizenship question onto the census, long after other aspects of the questionnaire had been finalized.

The department, which oversees the Census Bureau, had argued that the Justice Department needed a more accurate count of citizens to enforce the 1965 Voting Rights Act, but three lower courts ruled that that was an obvious pretext for some other unstated goal.

The department’s explanation was further undermined last month after plaintiffs uncovered computer files from a deceased Republican political strategist, Thomas B. Hofeller, who had first urged the incoming Trump administration in 2016 to consider adding the question to the next census.

The files included a study in which Mr. Hofeller concluded that a citizenship question was central to a strategy to increase Republican political power by excluding noncitizens and persons under voting age from the census figures used for drawing new political boundaries in 2021.

The disclosure led to the reopening of one of the lawsuits opposing the question, and plaintiffs were scheduled to begin new efforts this month to prove that the question was an effort to discriminate against Hispanics for political gain.

On Tuesday, one of the plaintiffs in that suit, the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund, indicated that it was unwilling to end the lawsuit without further assurances from the administration that the issue of the citizenship question had been fully resolved.

Thomas A. Saenz, the organization’s president and general counsel, said his group wanted to make sure there wasn’t any misinformation spread about there still being a citizenship question.

“No matter what happens, there’s still a lingering hardship from how long the administration had this hanging out there, and the publicity it got,” he said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/t...itizenship-question-to-2020-census/ar-AADL5DG

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Our nation is already being destroyed and we sat by and watched it happen. Why would a census that counts citizens need a question about citizenship? :dduck:
Cant get 5 billion for a wall but we can get 4.5 billion for illegals who complain about their detention centers. :piss

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
How much would 300 million small 1 x 4 stickers cost?
Each imprinted with the number xxA (10A, 57A, 72A, etc) as applicable to it's location on the form,
and the question
Are You Legal, Yes___No___
would fit easily

how much? compared to the price of Freedom?

It's Cheap if you look at it that way, keeping the Dream Alive!

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Knowing Trump he’ll flip the script and ask “Are you a citizen of a country other than the United States?” And watch like liberal heads explode.

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
My suggestion to you guys ....learn to habla espanol.

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Small states just need to fill it out with triple the numbers of household residents and sign it "citizen"....prove I lied...some misguided lib stole my form from my mailbox and was to stupid to realize his/her/sher actions actually helped a red state

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
It's Cheap if you look at it that way, keeping the Dream Alive!
Everyone will have a pen in their hand filling it out.

Just write CITIZEN in the upper right corner.

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
don't they send either the Mormons or JW's out to your house?

I don't want any visitors, I don't have enough Country Time Leomonade to offer

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Have a feeling Trump will issue an EO later on today concerning the question.

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Have a feeling Trump will issue an EO later on today concerning the question.
I agree. As I posted above, I think Trump will flip the question to are you a citizen or dual citizen of another country? By doing that it would reset the whole legal procedure for those who oppose the question.

engineear

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
This pic of the wicked one needs to be removed and put in the same pile with statues that have triggered so many others. I'm appalled it hangs in the WH. I may need to apply for disability benefits if it's not removed. If I can be the one to first paint a moustache on her then douse with gasoline then torch it with an Elon Musk flame thrower that might cure me. Only one way to find out.

ABC123

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
This pic of the wicked one needs to be removed and put in the same pile with statues that have triggered so many others. I'm appalled it hangs in the WH. I may need to apply for disability benefits if it's not removed. If I can be the one to first paint a moustache on her then douse with gasoline then torch it with an Elon Musk flame thrower that might cure me. Only one way to find out.
Did you note the double meaning in his tweet. I doubt many did. Trump tweets are full of double meaning/meaningful mistakes. Next time be on the look out.

ABC123

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
You tube/google is burying this video. Searched about 10 different word combinations before finding it.