• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

2021 Silver Eagles Type I and Type II

Bman33

Silver Surfer
Reaction score
I preordered some 2021 Silver Eagles and I will not be getting the new reverse. Anyone have any info on when they will be minting those?

Buck

Trying Something Different!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm watching this thread......

the first i've heard of this, idk

Bman33

Silver Surfer
Reaction score
I'm watching this thread......

the first i've heard of this, idk

I talked to two dealers and they don't know either. It will be interesting to see if Type I or Type II carries the higher premium. Are 2020's still low in mintage or did they catch up?

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
I preordered some 2021 Silver Eagles and I will not be getting the new reverse. Anyone have any info on when they will be minting those?

I thought Coin World reported it's mid-year 2021 the switch happens.

Bman33

Silver Surfer
Reaction score
I'll go to a coin collecting site and ask them. Will report back.

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Monument Metals has been taking pre-orders for the older design 2021 ASE's.

Buck

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Monument Metals has been taking pre-orders for the older design 2021 ASE's.
is there a chance they're simply changing the date on the older style ASE, the one in the photo, because that's all they have? they don't have any new photos, photos of the new design, to post?

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
is there a chance they're simply changing the date on the older style ASE, the one in the photo, because that's all they have? they don't have any new photos, photos of the new design, to post?

I really don't know. I personally would not pre-order any 2021 ASE's this far out. I do not trust any dealer to hold my cash that long. Alot can happen between now and when the Mint ships that coin to dealers.

Bman33

Silver Surfer
Reaction score
Somebody on another site said look for Spring or Summer to get the type II. Doesn’t help much.

Buck

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
well...we know the mint can be slow to start up a new line, various reasons but, to hold an old design over, in a series where they have high output and the series change has been known about for long enough, does it even seem logical the mint would split a year, half the original design, half the new design???

eh, ...

eh,,,,,,????/

yeah, i don't think so...but i've been wrong before

eh.....

Bman33

Silver Surfer
Reaction score
well...we know the mint can be slow to start up a new line, various reasons but, to hold an old design over, in a series where they have high output and the series change has been known about for long enough, does it even seem logical the mint would split a year, half the original design, half the new design???

eh, ...

eh,,,,,,????/

eh.....

My guess is that the old reverse, Type one will be of less mintage but the new reverse will draw a lot of attention from collectors. So who knows which will command a higher premium.

Buck

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
My guess is that the old reverse, Type one will be of less mintage but the new reverse will draw a lot of attention from collectors. So who knows which will command a higher premium.
well, keeping my foot firmly on the ground:
Who is the source for this in the first place?

Somebody on another site said look for Spring or Summer to get the type II. Doesn’t help much.

Somebody on the Internet says......

tread carefully friend

in the mean time, i'm sure you're going to key up on anything related to this, please post it here, me on the other hand, i'll do the same

what i'm looking for is validation, from a good source, like the Mint

'if there's a key, get 'em cheap'

:2 thumbs up:

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have to ask, are you ordering bullion coins? If so, you may be getting the old design, but collector coins apparently are getting the new design.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c...can-eagle-coins-will-have-old-and-new-designs

Based on a Coin World inquiry, U.S. Mint spokesman Michael White informed Coin World Oct. 21 that American Eagles in calendar year 2021 with the new reverse will be issued mid-year in the following collector options:

➤ Proof 2021-W and 2021-S 1-ounce .999 fine silver $1 coins.
➤ Uncirculated 2021-W American Eagle silver $1 coin.
➤ Proof 2021-W American Eagle .9167 fine gold 1-ounce $50 coins, half-ounce $25 coins, quarter-ounce $10 coins and tenth-ounce $5 coins.
➤ Uncirculated 2021-W American Eagle 1-ounce gold $50 coin.

Last edited:

Bman33

Silver Surfer
Reaction score
well, keeping my foot firmly on the ground:
Who is the source for this in the first place?

Somebody on the Internet says......

tread carefully friend

in the mean time, i'm sure you're going to key up on anything related to this, please post it here, me on the other hand, i'll do the same

what i'm looking for is validation, from a good source, like the Mint

'if there's a key, get 'em cheap'

:2 thumbs up:

These are local dealers talking and one guy from the Cointalk website which is good for collectors. I’ll do what I can for updates but it looks like the post above mine from MrLucky has some definite answers from coinworld. Looks like the collector versions have the new reverse. I don’t see anything for business strikes (regular bullion).

Buck

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have to ask, are you ordering bullion coins? If so, you may be getting the old design, but collector coins apparently are getting the new design.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c...can-eagle-coins-will-have-old-and-new-designs

Based on a Coin World inquiry, U.S. Mint spokesman Michael White informed Coin World Oct. 21 that American Eagles in calendar year 2021 with the new reverse will be issued mid-year in the following collector options:

➤ Proof 2021-W and 2021-S 1-ounce .999 fine silver $1 coins.
➤ Uncirculated 2021-W American Eagle silver $1 coin.
➤ Proof 2021-W American Eagle .9167 fine gold 1-ounce $50 coins, half-ounce $25 coins, quarter-ounce $10 coins and tenth-ounce $5 coins.
➤ Uncirculated 2021-W American Eagle 1-ounce gold $50 coin.
just the proof to make it true :2 thumbs up:

so, questions arise: personally i'll have bullion with both designs, of course, some for the pile, but, the 'end' or the 'beginning', will bear more value, old versus new, ten years from now, let's say spot remains flat, all things equal, a collector comes along, which will he buy first because it's 'cheaper' and which will cause him to kick down an extra dollar or two? Var 1 or Var 2?

my response:
right now the demand is 'flat', the old version, made earlier in the year, will have less mintage than the newer version as people will flock to the new designed coins, just to have it, regardless of what 'relative demand' actually is, the collector piece will always draw more attention, especially from the dealers (upon initial sales...secondary sales will become variable based upon collector demand - edit)

stick with the old for as long as you can...then switch over
o.k. dyodd, sounds silly, but, LOL, there's my plan

Last edited:

Bman33

Silver Surfer
Reaction score
just the proof to make it true :2 thumbs up:

so, questions arise: personally i'll have bullion with both designs, of course, some for the pile, but, the 'end' or the 'beginning', will bear more value, old versus new, ten years from now, let's say spot remains flat, all things equal, a collector comes along, which will he buy first because it's 'cheaper' and which will cause him to kick down an extra dollar or two? Var 1 or Var 2?

my response:
right now the demand is 'flat', the old version, made earlier in the year, will have less mintage than the newer version as people will flock to the new designed coins, just to have it, regardless of what 'relative demand' actually is, the collector piece will always draw more attention, especially from the dealers (upon initial sales...secondary sales will become variable based upon collector demand - edit)

stick with the old for as long as you can...then switch over
o.k. dyodd, sounds silly, but, LOL, there's my plan

I am definitely going to get both types but how much of each will depend on my needs at the time. I collect coins too so some of the collector ones could be fun for me and as gifts. The New Gold Eagle will be cool too.

Buck

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score

eh, ...

eh,,,,,,????/

eh.....
yep

and, i think i'll ask my local contacts if they're gonna buy any early monster boxes, see if i can get in on a few tubes

I am definitely going to get both types but how much of each will depend on my needs at the time. I collect coins too so some of the collector ones could be fun for me and as gifts. The New Gold Eagle will be cool too.

i was playing mint the on-line order game, it paid off very well, (i should go back to it,,,) but, as you say, depending on my needs at the time...

i'm predicting my needs, at that time, will be about a few tubes...doesn't matter where the price goes, they're going to be bullion in the hand, check that, ASE's in the hand, and if someone else wants one, well, now they become an investment they can 'buy into'

"and in 2021, the US Mint issued not 1 but TWO separate reverse designs on their bullion products..."

for a small premium above spot for another 'something collectible', that's nearly qualified to be a tri-fecta in the coin world

ok, just having some fun
:dancing guy

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I really don't know. I personally would not pre-order any 2021 ASE's this far out. I do not trust any dealer to hold my cash that long. Alot can happen between now and when the Mint ships that coin to dealers.

Yeah, Hey sucker, quote "What Money?"

Cash & Carry. Buy now get it and hold it...