• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

2022 Trucking Crisis

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
It has been estimated that the trucking industry is short 80,000 drivers. The shortage and crisis has resulted in the DOT lowering the age requirement for interstate trucking from 21 to 18.

But on the flip side DOT has now implented training rules for acquiring a CDL. These rules go into effect on Feb 7, 2022. Mandatory drive time with certified driving instructors. Mandatory classroom instruction on truck theory amounting to what is similar to a semester of college or tech school (this can be online). Costs for an umlimited Class A CDL are predicted to be $5000 to $10,000. Class B are expected to be $3000 to $5000....and these are for more than just truckers...new workers driving a dump truck, a trash truck, a school bus etc are all facing these fees.....who pays this??? Do employers foot the bill? Do employees? What employee is gonna be interested in a job when an employer says you got to pay $10,000 to get the job?

At my utility we pay entry level guys about $21/hr plus bennies with the requirement to get a Class B for the dump truck and sewer vac truck. We trained in house and had no issue...now that is no longer allowed...we are looking at trying a 3 year commitment program...we will front 100% of the cost and if you stay 3 years you have the CDL free and clear but if you leave early you will have to pay the training costs backbat a pro rated amount....but who knows if it will work.

Not sure how local farmers and excavating companies are gonna handle this...these are not part of the 80,000 shipping jobs...but these fields are gonna get bent over trying to bring on younger new staff.

How is this gonna fix or ease anything...idiotic.

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
when health certificates were introduced, the trucking industry went through a similar 'washout' but that actually gave us a 'healthier driver', but i've no idea how many 'crashes' have been prevented from such mandates and there is probably no way to actually determine that

but, this is now building a wall for drivers to jump over, this is much more restrictive and will be damaging to both employers and employees and our society, in general, in the long run

there was a reason they removed 18 yr olds from the trucking world, we were told it was for safety reasons...so, now, there's always gonna be that lie

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
As a subcontractor I audit CDL drivers for a major company. I drove for 15 years and still have my CDL.

There has always been a shortage of good commercial drivers.

Last edited:

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think the shortage is by design. Shortages in every link in the system of commerce is by design. The fascists are roll I ng out their "reset."

chieftain

Trump got them plump
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Quite the opposite here, I have never seen more trucks on the roads.

BeefJerky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
This problem will sort itself out during the coming Depression. Why people need all this crap being trucked around is beyond my understanding.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
last week I had stopped every morning for a freight train, 300+ cars all double stacked with 80 ft containers

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
isn’t there a Thread around here about driverless trucks soon coming and 2-300,000 thousand drivers will be without a job by 2028 or something?

Self-driving fully-autonomous trucks are the way of the future. Companies like Google and Walmart have been quietly investing time into developing driverless tractor-trailers for years in their efforts to optimize the transport of goods. Amazon has zestfully jumped on the bandwagon, too. The e-commerce giant has partnered with Rivian and other companies to incorporate driverless vans into their delivery routes. However, in order to get these self-driving trucks operating safely on the road, they have to be tested. That’s where Texas comes in. Driverless trucks are taking over Texas after the state inadvertently found itself as the epicenter of this emerging industry.

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
There is only a shortage of low wage drivers. If you pay, it will ship. These companies just aren’t trying to pay and are crying about it.

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
But on the flip side DOT has now implented training rules for acquiring a CDL. These rules go into effect on Feb 7, 2022. Mandatory drive time with certified driving instructors. Mandatory classroom instruction on truck theory amounting to what is similar to a semester of college or tech school (this can be online). Costs for an umlimited Class A CDL are predicted to be $5000 to $10,000. Class B are expected to be $3000 to $5000....and these are for more than just truckers...new workers driving a dump truck, a trash truck, a school bus etc are all facing these fees.....who pays this??? Do employers foot the bill? Do employees? What employee is gonna be interested in a job when an employer says you got to pay $10,000 to get the job?

Its almost as if those in charge are trying to create inflation and/or wreck the country.

mnmom

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
My son has an older friend who just finished training and is taking his test next week. There was a hiring fair for the class and he walked out with a promise of 28.50 per hour driving a company truck in town. If he stays 6 months he gets a 20k signing bonus. Some guys wanted over the road and got better offers. He will be working for a food distributor.

the_shootist

Politically Gender Neutral
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
1642949462930.png
1642949614050.png

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
isn’t there a Thread around here about driverless trucks soon coming and 2-300,000 thousand drivers will be without a job by 2028 or something?

Self-driving fully-autonomous trucks are the way of the future. Companies like Google and Walmart have been quietly investing time into developing driverless tractor-trailers for years in their efforts to optimize the transport of goods. Amazon has zestfully jumped on the bandwagon, too. The e-commerce giant has partnered with Rivian and other companies to incorporate driverless vans into their delivery routes. However, in order to get these self-driving trucks operating safely on the road, they have to be tested. That’s where Texas comes in. Driverless trucks are taking over Texas after the state inadvertently found itself as the epicenter of this emerging industry.

Florida as well.

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
This problem will sort itself out during the coming Depression. Why people need all this crap being trucked around is beyond my understanding.

blame it on Bezos. Ordering smalls one at a time each shipped separately from Amazon. Makes no economic sense whatsoever. Also bad for the environment if you buy into that nonsense, but when have you heard a leftie EVER bring that up????

edsl48

Midas Member
Midas Member
Survivor
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
In my neck of the woods in the liberal utopia of Illinois the Junior, I mean community, colleges are into the driver training certificate business. I assume this will be a big boost for those fine liberal based institiutions of so called higher learning. In other words just another expensive system designed to enrich the usual bunch as always including the college loan infrustructure business. So, in view of this, will mexican drivers still be allowed to cross the border and drive here or will they too have to have the certifications noted?

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
, in view of this, will mexican drivers still be allowed to cross the border and drive here or will they too have to have the certifications noted?

Of course not. Their license from Mexico will be allowed.

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
So I'm getting word that in Canada(& border ?) there are gigantic protests of Truckers protesting Trudeau's vaccine mandates on trucker's and the spin has been showing only a few hundred truckers who are supposedly protesting about road conditions.

RebelYell

Name no longer reflects my changed worldview.
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It has been estimated that the trucking industry is short 80,000 drivers. The shortage and crisis has resulted in the DOT lowering the age requirement for interstate trucking from 21 to 18.
Now this strikes me as a really dumb idea. No doubt there are some eighteen year olds who are mature and responsible enough to drive a big truck on the interstate road system, but I most certainly should not have been allowed behind the wheel of a truck at that age. Heck - I shouldn't have been allowed behind the wheel of a car.

the_shootist

Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
1643222855205.png

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
when health certificates were introduced, the trucking industry went through a similar 'washout' but that actually gave us a 'healthier driver', but i've no idea how many 'crashes' have been prevented from such mandates and there is probably no way to actually determine that

but, this is now building a wall for drivers to jump over, this is much more restrictive and will be damaging to both employers and employees and our society, in general, in the long run

there was a reason they removed 18 yr olds from the trucking world, we were told it was for safety reasons...so, now, there's always gonna be that lie
Between jobs in 2011, I went back to driving. VERY briefly.

I got teamed with an illegal Nigerian immigrant, who was also diabetic. UNCONTROLLED.

He had all his driving papers in order, though. Just not his Green Card. He had a medical certificate, so he was "healthy."

I got out of there fast. Later, examining my own CDL...I had gotten it in Ohio; moved to Michigan, and then Wisconsin; and there was a limit on the Wisconsin license (that I had been driving under): It was marked IN-STATE ONLY. Apparently that was the only way I could get my CDL transferred to the Dairy State without a road test.

So, I was driving four months on an invalid CDL in 30 states. Including Texas, where that trucking company was based out of.

So much for more-government-involvement making things better. Good grief, this vaxx mess should teach us that...we have all these regulatory agencies, and all these obscenely-rich bureaucrats running them like graft machines...and an "experimental" "vaccine" that we're ordered to take, that's killing us.

All we're gonna get out of this is, more and bigger crashes and deaths.

And maybe that's the aim.

the_shootist

Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Apparently this asshole must have been unconscious all last year to not see all the protests in CA. He's projecting his 'lack of intelligence' onto others because he has nothing else!

1643324058393.png

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Now this strikes me as a really dumb idea. No doubt there are some eighteen year olds who are mature and responsible enough to drive a big truck on the interstate road system, but I most certainly should not have been allowed behind the wheel of a truck at that age. Heck - I shouldn't have been allowed behind the wheel of a car.
Those 18yr olds are already driving the trucks though, just in state. I dont think letting them suddenly drive across manmade state lines will make them more dangerous.

fwiw i would have been responsible enough to do that at 18. Plenty of kids in flyover states get experience driving heavy equipment as young adults.

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Those 18yr olds are already driving the trucks though, just in state. I dont think letting them suddenly drive across manmade state lines will make them more dangerous.

fwiw i would have been responsible enough to do that at 18. Plenty of kids in flyover states get experience driving heavy equipment as young adults.
yeah but...

let's not 'just do it'...lets discuss why it was made illegal in the first place

this is exactly how our leaders get away with absolute murder, they make us chase everything down until we're so exhausted, it just becomes easier to believe the lie

same as those youths who drive daddy's farm equipment, once we addressed this issue of malfeasance from our leaders, a lot of our troubles would simply vanish

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
yeah but...

let's not 'just do it'...lets discuss why it was made illegal in the first place

this is exactly how our leaders get away with absolute murder, they make us chase everything down until we're so exhausted, it just becomes easier to believe the lie

same as those youths who drive daddy's farm equipment, once we addressed this issue of malfeasance from our leaders, a lot of our troubles would simply vanish

I have been driving since the age of 13.

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
You can drive a semi but you can’t buy a cig?

which one is it? they are too young to make their own decisions or are they responsible adults?

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I have been driving since the age of 13.
11 was my first experience on the blacktop, a few times a week, for years: I Was In Control

Felt Gooooood too, Felt like: I Was My Dad

:2 thumbs up:

and this right here...

(from Muj...didn't copy ...)

which one is it? they are too young to make their own decisions or are they responsible adults?

. . .

or dying for your country before you're old enough to drink...

stupid laws don't make us any safer

BarnacleBob

Exoriare aliquis nostris ex ossibus ultor
Founding Member
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

At my utility we pay entry level guys about $21/hr plus bennies with the requirement to get a Class B for the dump truck and sewer vac truck. We trained in house and had no issue...now that is no longer allowed...we are looking at trying a 3 year commitment program...we will front 100% of the cost and if you stay 3 years you have the CDL free and clear but if you leave early you will have to pay the training costs backbat a pro rated amount....but who knows if it will work.

Not sure how local farmers and excavating companies are gonna handle this...these are not part of the 80,000 shipping jobs...but these fields are gonna get bent over trying to bring on younger new staff.

How is this gonna fix or ease anything...idiotic.

The Technocracy is using scacity of qualified drivers to butter up the general public to accept driverless commercial vehicles on our highways & by-ways... Indeed, $10k to drive a truck is enuff to create market shortages of labor in any industry, much less an industry that requires drivers to live & stay on the road for days at a time...

Get ready folks, this is the preintroduction for driverless vehicles... Empty shelves do to a shortage of drivers will have the public demanding a solution... and then, on on time, electric driverless trucks will be instituted...

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
11 was my first experience on the blacktop, a few times a week, for years: I Was In Control

Felt Gooooood too, Felt like: I Was My Dad

:2 thumbs up:

and this right here...

(from Muj...didn't copy ...)

. . .

or dying for your country before you're old enough to drink...

stupid laws don't make us any safer
No, they don't.

And, interestingly, the crowd - here and everywhere - who are SO outraged at pot laws, have NO problems with cig laws or even drinking laws.

I remember discussions in the 1980s...when there was the push to raise the drinking age to 21 (it was 18 in many states up until then). One point raised: In Germany, the age to buy beer (potent German beer, not our Budweiser swill) was TWELVE.

The age to drive a CAR, was 21.

Drinking, in West German culture, was a family thing. You could get a draft at McDonalds...if sixth-grader Johanny wanted a beer with his Happy Meal, he could have one.

Nothing was seen as grownup about drinking. You did it at family gatherings and Oktoberfest.

Driving, was seen as unnecessary for children. In Europe, it probably was...condensed land mass, transit everywhere.

Ergo, they had little of what was then our epidemic DWI crisis.

I don't think the Europeans are always right..quite the opposite; but when they are right, give them credit, and learn from it.

Raise the driving and voting ages. Let kids have cigarettes.

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I remember discussions in the 1980s...when there was the push to raise the drinking age to 21 (it was 18 in many states up until then). One point raised: In Germany, the age to buy beer (potent German beer, not our Budweiser swill) was TWELVE.
one thing they do in Europe that was 'changed' here...the Pub
It is short for Public Meeting Place

it is the storage place for their infamous: Soap Box

Pubs are where our Founding Fathers held some of their meetings. Families and kids were allowed in, food was served and the entertainment rolls on for everyone's enjoyment, beer was just a part of the menu (hitler used them extensively to begin his journey)

over here it was changed to: The Bar
an adults only facility where any exchange of ideas will typically be done, 'in the dark'...family disconnections occur at the door and drunkenness is the key reason to have 'em...food is often times not available and the entertainment is lacking

two different worlds

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Technocracy is using scacity of qualified drivers to butter up the general public to accept driverless commercial vehicles on our highways & by-ways... Indeed, $10k to drive a truck is enuff to create market shortages of labor in any industry, much less an industry that requires drivers to live & stay on the road for days at a time...

Get ready folks, this is the preintroduction for driverless vehicles... Empty shelves do to a shortage of drivers will have the public demanding a solution... and then, on on time, electric driverless trucks will be instituted...

Nailed it.

:oops:

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Amazing Polly - good advice!

FREEDOM CONVOY - CANADIAN TRUCKERS INSPIRE THE WORLD!​

What a time to be alive! Me & the mister talk all things convoy & show lots of videos, etc from around the country. Get a tissue, you're going to tear up. ♥ My website is here: https://amazingpolly.net/ God bless the truckers & their families and God bless each and every one of us.

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 10.13.29 PM.png