• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

25% of tx homes have lost electricity, freezing temps creating disaster

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
2.6 million homes, the great majority are offline b/c supply/demand imbalance

local tv said wind power is down by half - tx is the largest wind generating state

global warming faggotry killing people

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
The intermittent nature of "renewables" makes them a poor choice for large scale primary power supply. I've repeatedly tried to explain this concept to people, but most think in terms of what can be done on an individual homestead basis...where temporary power storage makes sense. Those concepts simply do not work on a municipal scale. Until the power storage issues are worked out wind and solar must be supplemented or a supplement to traditional energy generation systems. Things that are instant on.

the_shootist

Old (not THAT old), but dangerous, pasty white guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Now they know what it means to be a hearty New Englander. If they hate a taste of our Winters perhaps they'd really hate us if we sent them all our Massholes, self centered RI and CT liberals and our crunchy granola Vermonters

Life ain't easy in NE

Hang in there Texans....this too shall pass. I'll bet it's tough finding any portable generators down there for sale right about now

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
tx was a fortress for elec power before the wind crap replaced conventional

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
This is where having a big inverter that can wire up to your car/truck/tractor, can help.

Big time.

Unlike a generator or powered inverter, where the engine has to be periodically run to keep it operational...an inverter that wires onto car-battery posts, can sit in (protected) storage forever, and be hauled out and used.

If a person has gas or propane heating, not much power is needed. If it's electric heating...better to get a portable propane heater and use the inverter to provide electric power necessary for it to work. No, nothing short of a huge permanent generator is going to fire up electric heating systems.

PLAN.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Ask the Texans without power how going green is working out for them today?

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
This is where having a big inverter that can wire up to your car/truck/tractor, can help.

Big time.

Unlike a generator or powered inverter, where the engine has to be periodically run to keep it operational...an inverter that wires onto car-battery posts, can sit in (protected) storage forever, and be hauled out and used.

If a person has gas or propane heating, not much power is needed. If it's electric heating...better to get a portable propane heater and use the inverter to provide electric power necessary for it to work. No, nothing short of a huge permanent generator is going to fire up electric heating systems.

PLAN.
Ventless propane heaters require no electricity.

Voodoo

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Ask the Texans without power how going green is working out for them today?
You mean those stupid ass wind mills aren't able to keep them warm? :dduck:

Turn those damn Pipelines back ON Mortimer.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Hang in there Texans....this too shall pass. I'll bet it's tough finding any portable generators down there for sale right about now
Only a COMPLEAT IDIOT would try to buy a generator...NOW.

The trick, if you're going to go the Portable Generator route...is, of course, to buy out of season. When things are stable.

Now, of course, a portable generator takes maintenance, even if not used. Even never opened, if it's not run, the engine seals dry up; the carburetor plastic comes apart, and so on.

Here's the ticket: Buy one every year. SELL LAST YEAR'S generator each year. If there's a crisis, sell it like...right now. If not, sell it at a loss when it seems best. Save the receipt - someone might jump at the chance to buy an unopened generator at 20-percent off new, if it's a year old and unopened.

But this takes PLANNING.

Voodoo

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Some of those that do have heat are going to be in for a Shock whenever the bill comes due. Going to make GameStop look like child's play.

https://www.zerohedge.com/commoditi...n-texans-without-power-rolling-blackout-begin

On Monday morning, ERCOT wholesale electricity prices for delivery surpassed the grid's price cap of $9,000 per megawatt-hour, many multiples over the average costs of $25/MWh.
I saw that.

Maybe it'll turn out cheaper to go off the grid, and just use a natural-gas-powered generator to power what you need.

This is what comes of a Green Revolution, peeps. And we're just seeing the leading edge of it.

Famine coming in three, two, one...

Buck

Trying Something Different!
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Only a COMPLEAT IDIOT would try to buy a generator...NOW.
LOL

reminds me of a short story, happened about a month ago

HF, I was standing in line during a windy day, very windy for where we're at, but, it happens. the winds were supposed to last a few days and power might be turned off...i noticed, 60% of the customers were buying generators

, o.k. better to be prepared...i made my purchase and left the store

a few days later, the storm was a nothing-burger, but, i needed something else from HF, and, while i was there, there were at least three of those generators being returned in their unopened box...

stupid losers wouldn't even hold onto the generator, they only 'borrowed them' till the perceived problem went away...

my conscience doesn't even work that way...to be a User is to be a Loser

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
stupid losers wouldn't even hold onto the generator, they only 'borrowed them' till the perceived problem went away...
Actually, I'd posit the were being smart.

A Horrid Freight generator is...maybe...a reasonable weight in the back of your truck, for slick roads.

It might work for a few hours if you're going camping with the Boy Scouts and don't plan ever to use it again.

Buy it on speculation, and then return it unopened...THAT is what Horrid Freight and the crap they sell, is good for.

We don't know but maybe those same people were going down to the local non-chain hardware store to buy a brand-name generator with a Honda or Briggs-Stratton engine. Those would be better held and later used as trade goods, or rotated after being kept awhile.

Buck

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
like i said

it's all about ethics

I'll lay my Karma Card out now

1613409934762.png

hey casey, let me ask you something...let me buy your metals at current spot price, let me hold onto them for several months

afterwards, i'll sell it all back to you for the exact same price i paid for it...and force you to handle them and re-inventory them, all the while you're hoping i didn't keep one, or slide in some clad piece, because i needed that one part, and only that one part...Thanks

that's not how i roll...i don't need to, so, i'll never have to 'answer' for that, in any way...

Buck

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
but wait...what does that all say about how valuable the time is of these men who go and 'borrow' something?

ppffttt

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
like i said

it's all about ethics

I'll lay my Karma Card out now

hey casey, let me ask you something...let me buy your metals at current spot price, let me hold onto them for several months

afterwards, i'll sell it all back to you for the exact same price i paid for it...and force you to handle them and re-inventory them, all the while you're hoping i didn't keep one, or slide in some clad piece, because i needed that one part, and only that one part...Thanks

that's not how i roll...i don't need to, so, i'll never have to 'answer' for that, in any way...
Ah...but that's the difference between purchase of a depreciable good, and investment/purchase in a product that is a store of value.

With cars, say, you do it all the time. You buy new, or lightly used, maybe...then own/use it for a couple of years, and either before or after it starts getting costly to own, you sell it back into the General Pool of Used Cars.

As for Horrid Freight...I have little use for them. Their hand tools are getting better, but they have a long way to go.

But, the no-brand engines in their generators? Uh-uh. I have had some experience with China I-C engines...those are designed to sell, not to last.

Honda is far-and-away the best choice. Briggs & Stratton is a distant second. Horrid Freight is for when everything else is sold out. And if you can reverse your bad or desperate choice a few days later...that's the best option you can hope for.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Actually, I'd posit the were being smart.

A Horrid Freight generator is...maybe...a reasonable weight in the back of your truck, for slick roads.

It might work for a few hours if you're going camping with the Boy Scouts and don't plan ever to use it again.

Buy it on speculation, and then return it unopened...THAT is what Horrid Freight and the crap they sell, is good for.

We don't know but maybe those same people were going down to the local non-chain hardware store to buy a brand-name generator with a Honda or Briggs-Stratton engine. Those would be better held and later used as trade goods, or rotated after being kept awhile.
I gave each one of my 3 kids a 4500W HF (Predator) generator for Xmas back in 2010. To my knowledge and to date they all have started on the first or second pull every single time they've been used and all 3 are still in service today.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
I gave each one of my 3 kids a 4500W HF (Predator) generator for Xmas back in 2010. To date they all have started on the first or second pull every single time they've been used and all 3 are still in service today.
I could go on about my experience with a Chinese motorcycle - I got new, marked down...it was a Yamaha clone.

For $2000, I got 2200 miles out of it. Not exactly a stellar purchase.

I later found out that was typical. That's why that brand is no longer sold anywhere, not even by drop-ship by the company. A complete ripoff.

Now there are other Chinese brands out there...but I've seen enough. The difference isn't one make versus another make...Chinese "companies" are just fronts for State-owned enterprises...the difference between Korea or Japan against China, is, their societal philosophies.

Japan adopted capitalism, especially after losing the war. Japanese industry frantically wanted to build an export business. An American, W. Edwards Demming, taught Japanese manufacturers how to use statistical controls to improve quality...and inside of ten years, we went from Alan Sherman's mocking "Japanese Transistor Radio(s)" to Sony, Nikon, and Datsun and Toyotas that were far-better built than Fords and Chevrolet.

Japan believed in capitalism.

China does NOT. China makes shoddy stuff to SELL - through American brands, or occasionally their own shell-company brands. The idea is to RIP OFF the buyer - they hate capitalism, even as it makes them rich.

Hey, everyone is free to put their money where they like. I've spent all I ever will, on Chinese internal-combustion engines, ever.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
With all the go green, nonsense that has taken over the minds of US, I always thought, " well at least there's Texas.
Guess you all will need to give priority to Tesla recharging stations in Austin, right? Don't want them stranded or anything.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
I could go on about my experience with a Chinese motorcycle - I got new, marked down...it was a Yamaha clone.

For $2000, I got 2200 miles out of it. Not exactly a stellar purchase.

I later found out that was typical. That's why that brand is no longer sold anywhere, not even by drop-ship by the company. A complete ripoff.

Now there are other Chinese brands out there...but I've seen enough. The difference isn't one make versus another make...Chinese "companies" are just fronts for State-owned enterprises...the difference between Korea or Japan against China, is, their societal philosophies.

Japan adopted capitalism, especially after losing the war. Japanese industry frantically wanted to build an export business. An American, W. Edwards Demming, taught Japanese manufacturers how to use statistical controls to improve quality...and inside of ten years, we went from Alan Sherman's mocking "Japanese Transistor Radio(s)" to Sony, Nikon, and Datsun and Toyotas that were far-better built than Fords and Chevrolet.

Japan believed in capitalism.

China does NOT. China makes shoddy stuff to SELL - through American brands, or occasionally their own shell-company brands. The idea is to RIP OFF the buyer - they hate capitalism, even as it makes them rich.

Hey, everyone is free to put their money where they like. I've spent all I ever will, on Chinese internal-combustion engines, ever.
Just lucky I guess. A cheap, running HF generator is preferable to a 'green' made in 'God knows where' frozen up wind turbine when the temps reach single digits and the wind generated power goes out

Last edited:

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
1613415819830.png

vichris

Seeker
Seeker
This is the problem with renewables. They work great for running our lights, charging our devices, running light load machinery, fans, and appliances, most medical devices,....etc. But when it comes to Heating & Cooling, including our refrigerators, water heaters, furnaces, and air conditioners, we are NO WHERE near replacing fossil fuels. Not even close.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. THE only thing people really understand is......PAIN. Pain is the is only thing that will overcome emotions, feelings and pseudoscience. I/we and I think most here are at least somewhat prepared for the pain. We can all see it coming even many who voted for the coming pain. Get your final preps in order friends......cool:

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner

Big time.

PLAN.
Good idea, but probably take a lot of gas, always keep at least one car full?

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
This is the problem with renewables. They work great for running our lights, charging our devices, running light load machinery, fans, and appliances, most medical devices,....etc. But when it comes to Heating & Cooling, including our refrigerators, water heaters, furnaces, and air conditioners, we are NO WHERE near replacing fossil fuels. Not even close.
Yeah the renewables suck at handling high current loads.

Silver

Midas Board Mmbr
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Far West Texas - last night 1 degree, no power, 5 or 6 inches of snow, water at a trickle - controls on the pumps froze.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
weather channel said 4 million homes now -- using the op numbers that extrapolates to about 38 percent of all homes in tx

plumbers are going to make a fortune repairing all of the busted pipes

Buck

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Those windmills would run like a scalded cat if they put propane heaters in em...............:secret:
according to some of those videos, some windmills do run like a scalded cat...some windmills even bake their own mechanics

all of this 'modern technology' is quite pricey and completely unnecessary

nowon

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
More good news, not... now have the prospect of the CCP running the electrical grid
Biden Rescinds Trump Order Banning Chinese Involvement in the U.S. Power Grid
  • IER
2 weeks ago
In President Biden’s executive order revoking the international permit for the Keystone XL pipeline, several climate and energy-focused executive orders by the Trump administration were also revoked. It suspended for 90 days Trump’s “Executive Order 13920 of May 1, 2020 (Securing the United States Bulk-Power System). The Trump order sought to ban, replace, and set new criteria on bulk-power system electric equipment coming from a foreign country or national that poses a national security threat. According to Biden’s executive order, the fate of the executive order and America’s bulk power system will be determined jointly by Biden’s Secretary of Energy and his Director of the Office of Management and Budget. It is up to these 2 political appointees to recommend whether a replacement order should be issued.
Trump’s Order
Trump’s order “prohibited any acquisition, importation, transfer, or installation of bulk power system electric equipment by any person or with respect to any property to which a foreign country or a national thereof has any interest, that poses an undue risk to the bulk power system, the security or resiliency of U.S. critical infrastructure or the U.S. economy, or U.S. national security or the security and safety of U.S. persons.” The Department of Energy was tasked with identifying existing bulk power system electric equipment that violated the order and “develop recommendations to identify, isolate, monitor, or replace this equipment as appropriate.”
Issued on December 17, 2020, Trump’s Secretary of Energy Dan Brouillette issued a “prohibition order designed to reduce the risks that entities associated with the People’s Republic of China pose to the Nation’s Bulk Power System” to be effective on January 16, 2021. “The order prohibits utilities that supply critical defense facilities (CDF) from procuring from the People’s Republic of China, specific bulk power electric equipment that poses an undue risk to the bulk power system, the security or resilience of critical infrastructure, the economy, national security, or safety and security of Americans.”
Background
China has become the world’s leading supplier of transformers, which presents significant challenges to U.S. grid security. In his May 1, 2020 order, President Trump stated that the United States should no longer purchase transformers and other electric grid equipment manufactured in China. He signaled that it is important to end relationships that U.S. utilities have directly with Chinese businesses and multi-national companies manufacturing transformers in China, which are later plugged into the electric grid in the United States.
Chinese power equipment can be embedded with software and hardware that can be remotely accessed, enhancing China’s ability to commit cyberattacks. Because power transformers are huge and weigh between 100 and 400 tons, it is not easy to identify embedded software or hardware. There is also a potential hardware risk since counterfeit items can be easily put into large power transformers.
This issue surfaced in a 2014 Department of Energy report. In its 2014 report, the Department of Energy found that there were six domestic manufacturers of power transformers in the United States, whereas over 30 power transformer manufacturers existed in China. The six U.S. manufacturers were only able to produce about 40 percent of U.S. demand. Since 2009, the United States has become highly dependent on Chinese transformers. Over 200 Chinese transformers were brought into the U.S. energy sector in the 10 years preceding 2019. Prior to that, there were none.
Chinese transformer manufacturers are prospering. JiangSu HuaPeng Transformer Company completed projects for customers in Houston, Las Vegas, and New Jersey. On August 5, 2020, Baobian Electric shipped the first of its three phase reactors to the New Mexico Public Utilities Service Company. TBEA Transformer Industrial Group exports its products to over 30 countries in Asia, Africa, Europe, and the Americas.
Conclusion
For Biden to revoke President Trump’s order means that he is not concerned about potential threats to the U.S. electric grid by China. It is not clear whether the order signed by Trump’s Secretary of Energy Dan Brouillette prohibiting the importation of Chinese equipment remains in place after Biden suspended Trump’s Executive Order. Regardless, for Biden to signal, on his first day in office, that he could be amenable to opening the American electricity grid up to problematic Chinese equipment is very troubling.

Voodoo

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Voodoo

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I heard that someone from Overland Park Kansas (Kansas City area) also lost power and were requesting people to conserve. That's a long ways from Texas, can anyone else confirm?

Voodoo

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Buck

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
BUT, if you ALSO owned a Tesla Powerwall you could do one or the other for like 30 minutes.:ponder:

I'd suggest the heat...
and on a bad day, have that wall burst into a power of flame...

no thanks, i'll take the HF generator