• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

25% of tx homes have lost electricity, freezing temps creating disaster

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
You know, we have lots of wind mills in Iowa (second most in the Country - thanks Warren) but they don't have to do that ever around here. So, I'm guessing they went cheaper with the coating or blades there in Texas because they assumed it wouldn't ever have to deal with snow and ice. Oops.
Most contracts go to the cheapest bidder. Jus' Sayin'

Buck

Trying Something Different!
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I gave each one of my 3 kids a 4500W HF (Predator) generator for Xmas back in 2010. To my knowledge and to date they all have started on the first or second pull every single time they've been used and all 3 are still in service today.
i found this:
Predator is a Chinese made Generator and they have Honda Clone engines. I honestly can't say anything bad about predator engines or generators. Honda parts are even interchangeable with predator engines so there just a copy of a honda engine. Just take a look at the Honda es2000 and you can see the similarities.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=4500w+predator+generator

idk how true this is, but it does make sense, after all, it does appear the chins have stolen the designs of everything they make, from someone else...

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I ma quite sure Honda's manufacturing tolerances and quality control exceed China.

Buck

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Most contracts go to the cheapest bidder. Jus' Sayin'
and lots of those companies seem to be able to sign onto that 'not-responsible clause' which i believe comes from the quid pro quo of that donation they made to that local congressman's reelection campaign, or the deal they used to get themselves the deal in the first place...

greasy palms seem to lube each others hands, so to speak

AurumAg

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Whatever happened to all those nuclear reactors?

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

Buck

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Whatever happened to all those nuclear reactors?
they got broken

let's see what I can remember;
locally: over-engineered above what the original korean agency suggested, yet: Built To Order, and it did not work, so, they threw in the towel
back east: one had the dome break because the operations manager for the 'cut' of the stressed dome didn't follow their nine month cut procedures, created dome cracks...done
another back east has some catastrophe with construction, caused about two more to be stopped mid construction

that's what I remember, all man-made, man caused catastrophes - all preventable iirc

there were more, about 7 or 8 "failed" within about a decade of each other...

ps i just saw the other day, the destruction of a 900Mgw generator station...but, hey, the have already built it's replacement: a 500Mgw facility

do the math, and it hurts when you consider that 'any growth' is not even considered...

Voodoo

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
and on a bad day, have that wall burst into a power of flame...

no thanks, i'll take the HF generator
Hey, thats heat too. Nice and toasty for like 10 mins.

Buck

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
i've often wondered how many hydrants are frozen when the ice men show up...

gotta hurt, something terrible, gotta hurt

Voodoo

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
The fact is that a major portion of the US just flat ran out of natural gas after just a few days of record cold. That is what is causing all of the power outages. The wind mills aren't helping but it's the fact that so much power generation switched to natural gas. They have just shut down so that the gas that is left is going to heat homes.

Voodoo

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Just imagine how much money you could make if you had a portable mini-power plant... Man, it would not take long at $2,500 / MW to make it feasible to consider at least.

Last edited:

Buck

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Just imagine how much money you could make if you had a portable mini-power plant... Man, it would take long at $2,500 / MW to make it feasible to consider at least.
LOL

SEMPRA, iirc, they built a generator in Mehico, but, there were no customers...hmmm, why would they do that?

because all they needed was to run the wires, and that was easier to get done than to build that generator in California

they're making money hand over fist...and since they don't produce anything else, and they have to 'turn a profit', prices will necessarily have to increase, no matter what they do...fires, maintenance, the economy, deficits in supply, etc

the prices WILL go up

Buck

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
The fact is that a major portion of the US just flat ran out of natural gas after just a few days of record cold. That is what is causing all of the power outages. The wind mills aren't helping but it's the fact that so much power generation switched to natural gas. They have just shut down so that the gas that is left is going to heat homes.
Back in the early 90's I was working on a gas production platform in The Gulf. We didn't have a contract to sell at the time, just "spot natural gas price". There was a major storm inland and much of the country was low on gas, all the way up to Chicago with power outages all along the way. For a few days there the company was getting about 40 times the usual rate for gas in that small field.
You would think the law of supply and demand would solve some of these supply problems.

nowon

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Back in the early 90's I was working on a gas production platform in The Gulf. We didn't have a contract to sell at the time, just "spot natural gas price". There was a major storm inland and much of the country was low on gas, all the way up to Chicago with power outages all along the way. For a few days there the company was getting about 40 times the usual rate for gas in that small field.
You would think the law of supply and demand would solve some of these supply problems.
Part of the problem is that southern states don't use pipeline heating, so any gas liquids and produced water are freezing up flow lines

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Its just a temporary inconvenience, and will be remedied soon.

The govna of colorado just signed a law that says colorado oil producers can no longer flare off their nattie gas at the wellhead, and must now collect it and deliver it to supply terminals.

Texas, you are welcome.

Voodoo

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Part of the problem is that southern states don't use pipeline heating, so any gas liquids and produced water are freezing up flow lines
Ok, so that begs the question, what is a flowline if not a pipe?

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++

nowon

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter

Buck

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
note:
that $1.5 Billion is

JUST FOR RESEARCH

see, it says so here:
"$1.5 billion for additional research. "

we've got more nuke technology than we're allowed to use, Thanks you Peanut Choking Muther Shucker...

why we gotta spend more??????

is it just for the kickbacks?

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
The way we did it offshore, all wells produced to the main platform where oil (condensate) gas and water was separated. In some instances we had glycol units to dry them better. Then it (gas and condensate) went to the beach in someone else's pipeline to a gas plant, which usually consisted of a compressor, high pressure separators and some holding tanks for condensate. We really didn't produce significant oil so we usually didn't even have pipeline pumps at the beach.
In any case the gas was dry enough to go through a compressor. About the only way compressed gas is going to produce any liquids after that was if it took a significant pressure drop in a short distance, like through a regulator.

Last edited:

nowon

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
note:
that $1.5 Billion is

JUST FOR RESEARCH

see, it says so here:
"$1.5 billion for additional research. "

we've got more nuke technology than we're allowed to use, Thanks you Peanut Choking Muther Shucker...

why we gotta spend more??????

is it just for the kickbacks?
Read that B Gates is heavy into funding to implement distributed nuclear power, using new tech plants with tiny footprint...

Buck

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Read that B Gates is heavy into funding to implement distributed nuclear power, using new tech plants with tiny footprint...
why not?...

and let's see, any 'new iteration' will cost trillions just to study...so, to be sure:

B Gates is already there with his hand out...

we're in Good Hands:summer:

and edit:
to be sure, that B Gates funding...isn't

nowon

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
The way we did it offshore, all wells produced to the main platform where oil (condensate) gas and water was separated. In some instances we had glycol units to dry them better. Then it went to the beach in someone else's pipeline to a gas plant, which usually consisted of a compressor, high pressure separators and some holding tanks for condensate. We really didn't produce significant oil so we usually didn't even have pipeline pumps.
In any case the gas was dry enough to go through a compressor. About the only way compressed gas is going to produce any liquids after that was if it took a significant pressure drop in a short distance, like through a regulator.
Hear you, am talking about gas associated with oil and wet gas, both of which usually have a water cut on individual wells on-shore. The wells in Canada use heat tracing to keep from having a low spot in a field line freeze up and plugging production. Usually there's enough heat from the reservoir to avoid problems, but unusually cold weather makes lines freeze up.

Buck

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
that would be frozen cake, at this point in time...

crunch

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Good idea, but probably take a lot of gas, always keep at least one car full?
Not that much. I powered my freezer and refrigerator for two days off my minivan, some years back. Stick in the throttle to keep the engine going at about 1500rpm...used a quarter-tank in those two days. Of course eventually I'd have needed more, but that's true of any gasoline generator.

The risk you run. Compare it against the expense of a natural-gas powered generator that you use, maybe, never. When was the last time you had a power emergency? You pays yer money and you takes yer choice.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
i found this:
Predator is a Chinese made Generator and they have Honda Clone engines. I honestly can't say anything bad about predator engines or generators. Honda parts are even interchangeable with predator engines so there just a copy of a honda engine. Just take a look at the Honda es2000 and you can see the similarities.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=4500w+predator+generator

idk how true this is, but it does make sense, after all, it does appear the chins have stolen the designs of everything they make, from someone else...
They copy but they use inferior materials. IMHO it's deliberate.

Like my Chin cycle. Yamaha designed engine; but the valve train exploded in use. Discussion online suggested that others' teardown into that model, suggested the timing chain sprockets and/or cams, were made of pot metal. Also poor tempering of the cylinder head - mine didn't last long enough for that to be an issue.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
In Texas, most homes have fireplaces. The purpose of a fireplace is to have a romantic evening, watch the fire and get laid. If they had woodstoves instead they could actually get heat out of those fires and they would all be cozy right now.

keef

Пальто Crude
Midas Member
No shite. Big tough Texas. We so bad, blah blah. They get a little taste of what we live with and they fold up like a Chinese card table.

Have to start a thread so the rest of us have to listen to these woman folk wine.

I just looked out the window and some young guy is riding his bike to work on the streets of Minneapolis like he is the lead racer in the Toure de France and I couldn't even see his breath his endurance is so high.

No one is watching him, he doesn't care. He just does his job like any cough, cough white man. The colder the better, ask any Nordic or Russian

But no offence to our 'cowboys', would hate to hurt their delicate sensitivities, again

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Let them eat cake.
The Democrats energy policy will be a disaster for this country.

Wait until Democrat populated states, in the northeast, go without power in cold temperatures. All we can say is "here is the Democratic Paradise, you voted for".

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Those windmills would run like a scalded cat if they put propane heaters in em...............:secret:
I dunno why they just don't plug them into an electric motor hooked up to an outlet to drive the blades.