• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

25% of tx homes have lost electricity, freezing temps creating disaster

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
In Texas, most homes have fireplaces. The purpose of a fireplace is to have a romantic evening, watch the fire and get laid. If they had woodstoves instead they could actually get heat out of those fires and they would all be cozy right now.
Too many times in years past have I toted my wood stove as being the best money I ever spent. Had 12 cord put away before this years burn season. Its a re-assuring feeling. When the lights go out, our area is usually last to regain service. But that doesnt keep the house from being 68 degrees.

Buck

Trying Something Different!
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
when will anyone in power declare any of our leaders guilty of murdering any of us?

the worlds lone superpower and some of us are literally freezing to death...satan's laughing

Voodoo

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
leftists already attacking the governor - black houston mayor, mexican houston po po chief, sheila jackson lee, etc -- all blm supporters and the people responsible for the incredible explosion in violent crime in their city

we do need an investigation to reveal all of the details of how the formerly fortress elec grid failed so miserably

the_shootist

Old (not THAT old), but dangerous, pasty white guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
leftists already attacking the governor - black houston mayor, mexican houston po po chief, sheila jackson lee, etc -- all blm supporters and the people responsible for the incredible explosion in violent crime in their city

we do need an investigation to reveal all of the details of how the formerly fortress elec grid failed so miserably
They all attack others for what they, themselves are responsible for. You can't tell the people, you must show them!

Brio

Midas Member
Midas Member
Man there are some seriously not bright people in the world. I imagine brains is not this gals strong suit.
I recall the neighbor planting spruce on his hillside, they all died, how stupid is he?

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
If that sprinkler is for fire, it should be dry charged.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
So how big of an inverter can you run off one car battery when engine is running, was thinking of a back up plain using one i bougt at flea market, its 4k peak 2k running, will it provide that off one car battery?

Buck

Trying Something Different!
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
lets work this one through

1613492968201.png

watts equal amps time volts

2000w = a x 12.6v car batter

2000 / 12.6 = 158 Amps

158A x 12.6 V = 2000

Car Battery is rated in Amp Hours, 158 Amps per hour would be a minumum required, but the moment the battery breaks below that output, it's game over and since that inverter consumes power also, your times will vary...

i think i did the math properly, it's been a while since i've done electrical math

and lastly; It's the 'Start Load' that has to be the determining factor when shopping for any inverter

Know the appliances Start Load before-hand and you will make better decisions. The "Run Load" will be secondary

sorry, i used converter instead of inverter...changed
: )

Last edited:

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
So how big of an inverter can you run off one car battery when engine is running, was thinking of a back up plain using one i bougt at flea market, its 4k peak 2k running, will it provide that off one car battery?
You have to crunch the numbers. The inverter paperwork tells the current draw; work that against your vehicle's alternator output.

My inverter...which I have put away; I know just where it is but I haven't had it out in 15 years...it was a 1500-watt setup. Continuous draw, 1000 watts. Keep in mind, that was yesterday's technology. There may be better out there.

There may also be ways to run a generator or alternator off a PTO off a garden tractor. Haven't looked into one of those since don't have one, not anymore...but, way-back-when, Gravely, with the walking tractor, had a generator setup...it had a drive that used a PTO bolt-up to the front attachment housing. The generator would be stationary; the tractor nosed into it, just standing there and running.

There'd be a lot of research on what's out there today; but since I own nothing but a car and a van, the inverter is the best option for me.

Of course if power is out here for any period of time, pipes in this complex are gonna pop all over. Which means I'll be a refuge in the end, anyway, which means an entirely-different set of issues.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Man there are some seriously not bright people in the world. I imagine brains is not this gals strong suit.

That's what happens when the Coastal Elites move to someplace like Texas.

All of it, in fact - starting with those stupid windmills.

Goes WITHOUT SAYING...he should have turned OFF his sprinkler system; or had the apartment managers or condo maintenance do it. They won't? Fine, take videos, time-stamp...this is what it looked like on Feb. 14; and two days later, burst sprinkler pipes, this is the damage. Management would not close off those pipes to mitigate damage.

Texas is not better for Magic Dirt - it had a higher level of people, brought up from infancy into more self-reliance. Import Left-Coast losers, or Somalis, or whatever...and they remain helpless, and make their new areas just like the areas they left.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Yah, I have a 4k and 11k gas generators the 11k will do the whole house. Maybe I could get a few dry batteries and electrolyte on hand. Have to see how many amps my alternator is, I also have 4 or 5 alternators I picked up at flea markets, been wanting to weld them into a circular frame with a belt and pulley and maybe use them .

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Hey whatever it takes to keep off the gubmint dole

this old guy was half frozen , listless , wouldn’t eat or drink so I brought him inside to the remodel room and thawed his arse out...he is better this morning and I’ll have to keep an eye on his comb and waddle for infection...frostbite is a bitch for birds

64AF3730-C7BA-4A6D-8579-8B0A94942D82.jpeg
2943CF48-0D52-4E8F-B7F8-D761BEA7807B.jpeg

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Question to ask, is: Do you need the whole house lit up, like everything's normal?

You need some sort of heat...doesn't have to be cozy, just above the freezing point. You can't effectively heat electrically off a generator, but gas or propane or oil heaters, need electricity to run...fans, thermostat, the like. A small generator can do that.

Pool, and the like...I have no idea what a pool system and heater draws, but it's only necessary to keep it above freezing. I would expect an insulated cover system might work better for relatively-short cold snaps.

Freezer, refrigerator. If it's cold outside, you don't need a refrigerator (if temperature is above freezing) or freezer (if freezing). Box the stuff and set it outside.

Lights. Light in the common area; but you are not going to be watching tevee. Maybe not using the InterWebZ. The network will be down, so...use the light to read a book.

Relatively low draw, all told.

Voodoo

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
That's what happens when the Coastal Elites move to someplace like Texas.

All of it, in fact - starting with those stupid windmills.

Goes WITHOUT SAYING...he should have turned OFF his sprinkler system; or had the apartment managers or condo maintenance do it. They won't? Fine, take videos, time-stamp...this is what it looked like on Feb. 14; and two days later, burst sprinkler pipes, this is the damage. Management would not close off those pipes to mitigate damage.

Texas is not better for Magic Dirt - it had a higher level of people, brought up from infancy into more self-reliance. Import Left-Coast losers, or Somalis, or whatever...and they remain helpless, and make their new areas just like the areas they left.
I was going more for the amazement that people still don't understand that water expands when it freezes.

That and you can be assured it was more government over-regulation bullcrap that required sprinklers. Those things are expensive and can cause a lot of water damage.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
I was going more for the amazement that people still don't understand that water expands when it freezes.

That and you can be assured it was more government over-regulation bullcrap that required sprinklers. Those things are expensive and can cause a lot of water damage.
I've seen apartment structures go up - like they're cardboard. Sprinklers are a good idea.

Just, not when you don't have reliable heating utilities. Like...you know...Greta Windmills....

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
(Bloomberg) -- After creating havoc in the power and natural gas markets, the next commodity sector causing concern in Texas is the state’s enormous oil refining industry, where installations are being forced offline by the big freeze. The largest refineries in North America were shutting down Monday because of arctic conditions that have cut electricity, water and fuel supplies across Texas. Mor

Read more at: https://www.bloombergquint.com/mark...efinery-shutting-down-because-of-cold-weather
Copyright © BloombergQuint

https://www.bloombergquint.com/mark...efinery-shutting-down-because-of-cold-weather

This is bad news for these plants! It's when shit gets real, in a dangerous way. Freezing wheather is the worst time to shut down an oil refinery. Even when a refinery stays running through very cold conditions it can get pretty scetchy when the big thaw comes. I'll be thinking about these folks for sure.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
(Bloomberg) -- After creating havoc in the power and natural gas markets, the next commodity sector causing concern in Texas is the state’s enormous oil refining industry, where installations are being forced offline by the big freeze. The largest refineries in North America were shutting down Monday because of arctic conditions that have cut electricity, water and fuel supplies across Texas. Mor

Read more at: https://www.bloombergquint.com/mark...efinery-shutting-down-because-of-cold-weather
Copyright © BloombergQuint

https://www.bloombergquint.com/mark...efinery-shutting-down-because-of-cold-weather

This is bad news for these plants! It's when shit gets real, in a dangerous way. Freezing wheather is the worst time to shut down an oil refinery. Even when a refinery stays running through very cold conditions it can get pretty scetchy when the big thaw comes. I'll be thinking about these folks for sure.
How convenient for the oil companies and their bankers!

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I've seen apartment structures go up - like they're cardboard. Sprinklers are a good idea.
Most high occupancy buildings are required in MA to have sprinklers, even if they have to be retrofitted into an existing structure. They get tested on a yearly basis. An added expense for sure. Seems the bulk of building code that doesn't have to do with weight bearing is fire and smoke suppression. That could be attributed to strong lobbying, common sense or a combination of both.

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling
Too many times in years past have I toted my wood stove as being the best money I ever spent. Had 12 cord put away before this years burn season. Its a re-assuring feeling. When the lights go out, our area is usually last to regain service. But that doesnt keep the house from being 68 degrees.
I don’t understand why anyone who lives in a place that gets cold would NOT have a woodburning stove or fireplace.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
go outside with sleeve of crackers to feed some sparrows/robins hunting for food in my snowy back yard

sea gull spots me immediately

two crackers later he catches one in the air

one minute later i have 6 seagulls catching crackers in the air

then 20 seagulls

then 50 seagulls

went and got second sleeve of crackers

those birds are amazing - how athletic they are in the air and their ability to catch the crackers in their beaks on the fly

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
How convenient for the oil companies and their bankers!
Hard to run a refinery without electricity or natural gas. It's not convenient, this when it gets quite dangerous.

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
When / if you run small engine equipment when done drain the system & put in some white gas / Coleman lantern fuel. Use it to rinse out the tank & run it through the engine to clean the carb. Works on chain saws, generators stuff that is seasonal at best. White gas has no additives so your lantern works after sitting for 5 years or whatever.

Want your own battery backup? Check out this modern marvel. Batteries made from glass.

1613514468706.png

More here.

http://delcolight.com/20.html

1613514513635.png

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
go outside with sleeve of crackers to feed some sparrows/robins hunting for food in my snowy back yard

sea gull spots me immediately

two crackers later he catches one in the air

one minute later i have 6 seagulls catching crackers in the air

then 20 seagulls

then 50 seagulls

went and got second sleeve of crackers

those birds are amazing - how athletic they are in the air and their ability to catch the crackers in their beaks on the fly
If you had been around as many seagulls as I have, you would be throwing them lead, not crackers.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
If you had been around as many seagulls as I have, you would be throwing them lead, not crackers.
Never worked on a oil/gas platform. But have spent plenty of time on a fuels loading/unloading terminal. Smell of seagul shit in the summer is overwhelming. Last few years they have been bringing out Harris hawks to try to keep the birds away, but when the hawks leave the birds come back.
Harris hawk.jpg

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I don’t understand why anyone who lives in a place that gets cold would NOT have a woodburning stove or fireplace.
Dirt carried into the house.
Bugs carried into the house.
Dealing with the ashes.
Long time to generate heat when coming home.
Long time to shut down when leaving home (risk of fire from unattended wood fire).
Gummed up chimney, fire hazard if ignored.

I dealt with it for a lot of years and have no regrets switching to propane fireplace. Pellets are a decent fuel alternative, too.

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Hard to believe that's a sprinkler system. All the ones I've seen are piped in thick piping. It would take a long, hard freeze to bust them open.
Actually that 'heavy pipe' (schedule 40) will split right open pretty easily as any solid pipe will. When water freezes it expands and there is no pipe that is immune from splitting, no matter how thick. In the last 25 years or so, depending on local codes and application, a lot of the sprinkler piping is done in plastic and much less susceptible to breaking because it can expand. Pipes are often in the attics and those systems are often charged with a head of air so it won't freeze. But in Texas, frozen pipes are not a common occurrence.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Actually that 'heavy pipe' (schedule 40) will split right open pretty easily as any solid pipe will. When water freezes it expands and there is no pipe that is immune from splitting, no matter how thick. In the last 25 years or so, depending on local codes and application, a lot of the sprinkler piping is done in plastic and much less susceptible to breaking because it can expand. Pipes are often in the attics and those systems are often charged with a head of air so it won't freeze. But in Texas, frozen pipes are not a common occurrence.
Thanks for the info. Pressure is pressure no matter what it's in and it needs some where to go. I haven't heard a pipe burst myself but I'm told it sounds like a gun shot. Depending on the temperature, water may not flow immediately.

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Thanks for the info. Pressure is pressure no matter what it's in and it needs some where to go. I haven't heard a pipe burst myself but I'm told it sounds like a gun shot. Depending on the temperature, water may not flow immediately.
I know that very well being in the plumbing business. I don't recall ever hearing a pipe burst but I've seen my fair share of burst pipes and the damage. When it's cold and the pipes freeze, the water seldom if ever starts spraying right away. It's when it warms up afterwards when the water starts spraying and the damage occurs.

And take a mental note: If you have a frozen pipe, (no running water) don't leave the house without turning the water off at the main.

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Most high occupancy buildings are required in MA to have sprinklers, even if they have to be retrofitted into an existing structure. They get tested on a yearly basis. An added expense for sure. Seems the bulk of building code that doesn't have to do with weight bearing is fire and smoke suppression. That could be attributed to strong lobbying, common sense or a combination of both.
Some insurance companies will give a discount/lower premium if your structure is sprinklered. That savings in the fire insurance premium can save or offset the cost of installing sprinklers, after several years.

Years ago, you had up to 17 minutes to escape a burning house. Now you better be out in less than 3 minutes or toxic gases will kill you. Furnishings in modern living spaces is loaded with synthetics. When they burn, toxic gases (carbon monoxide, etc) will snuff out all human life.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I know that very well being in the plumbing business. I don't recall ever hearing a pipe burst but I've seen my fair share of burst pipes and the damage. When it's cold and the pipes freeze, the water seldom if ever starts spraying right away. It's when it warms up afterwards when the water starts spraying and the damage occurs.

And take a mental note: If you have a frozen pipe, (no running water) don't leave the house without turning the water off at the main.
A lot of buildings are metered. I was instructed to shut off the supply to a house one night because of a broken pipe (not frozen) because the plumber couldn't get there that evening and there was no shut off in between to stop the leak. There is a gate valve that is on the line that feeds from the street and before the meter. After the meter there is a ball valve. I was very stearnly told to not touch the gate valve and to just swing the ball valve. Those old gate valves have been known to not function well and fixing them requires having the water department involved.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Some insurance companies will give a discount/lower premium if your structure is sprinklered. That savings in the fire insurance premium can save or offset the cost of installing sprinklers, after several years.

Years ago, you had up to 17 minutes to escape a burning house. Now you better be out in less than 3 minutes or toxic gases will kill you. Furnishings in modern living spaces is loaded with synthetics. When they burn, toxic gases (carbon monoxide, etc) will snuff out all human life.
The smoke gets people long before the fire. As a ritual in the Spring, I'll toss the Christmas tree on a brush fire and watch that baby become fully engulfed in seconds.

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I have been heating with a wood stove for about 15 years now. I get logs of various size from the mill, and cut, split, and stack them. Every log has some problem, like embedded wire, bullets, or just nasty, horrible twists, or fibers that take heroic effort to get the split pieces apart. If the logs were not so bad, the mill would use them and not send them to me. So, anyway...
Dirt carried into the house.
Bugs carried into the house.
No. Not here.
Dealing with the ashes.
I have a metal trash can for the ashes, and I do maybe two per season. Not a problem, just throw them somewhere out of the way. Last year, I mixed the ashes with dirt and oil to repair my driveway.
Long time to generate heat when coming home.
Long time to shut down when leaving home (risk of fire from unattended wood fire).
Not here. The house is NEVER unoccupied. Not for one second in a year. When it's cold, the stove runs 24/7. There is always someone feeding the stove.
Gummed up chimney, fire hazard if ignored.
That is a valid point for someone who neglects the chimney for years on end. You could also argue against people who change their oil only every 50 thousand miles. We had our chimney scraped last year, and the crud was really minimal.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
cold weather is good business for the undertaker.....

the locals need reefer trucks to help them transport the bodies

Brio

Midas Member
Midas Member
Not all wood burns the same. Fir will gum up a chimney and birch will clean it up. If you keep your stove dampered down all the time you'll need to clean the chimney more often. I work at the plywood plant, I get free cores (what's left of the log when the veneer is peeled off) 14 truck loads for us last fall, just back up the truck. Three more truck loads for the elderly neighbors. Not supposed to do that but we snuck it through. I have an awesome boss, they don't come along often.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
That is a valid point for someone who neglects the chimney for years on end. You could also argue against people who change their oil only every 50 thousand miles. We had our chimney scraped last year, and the crud was really minimal
Yep. If you burn dry wood its not a huge issue. I actually go every 2 years. But all of my fire wood sees two summers under cover with good air flow.