• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

25% of tx homes have lost electricity, freezing temps creating disaster

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
I just shut the ac off because we're dropping to 70* tonight. Would be nice to work on my tan this weekend instead of just working.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
If you had been around as many seagulls as I have, you would be throwing them lead, not crackers.
been living on the bay for decades, i know of what you speak. had a kid with me today that really enjoyed the cracker catching acrobatics

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I just shut the ac off because we're dropping to 70* tonight. Would be nice to work on my tan this weekend instead of just working.
The way to tell the natives from the tourists is by the tan. Dead giveaway for the old timers there are the ones with gator skin. Scary looking.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
The way to tell the natives from the tourists is by the tan. Dead giveaway for the old timers there are the ones with gator skin. Scary looking.
my experience is the arid/mountain people weather worse than the hot/humid people - the arid women look ten years older than they are

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling
Question to ask, is: Do you need the whole house lit up, like everything's normal?

You need some sort of heat...doesn't have to be cozy, just above the freezing point. You can't effectively heat electrically off a generator, but gas or propane or oil heaters, need electricity to run...fans, thermostat, the like. A small generator can do that.

Pool, and the like...I have no idea what a pool system and heater draws, but it's only necessary to keep it above freezing. I would expect an insulated cover system might work better for relatively-short cold snaps.

Freezer, refrigerator. If it's cold outside, you don't need a refrigerator (if temperature is above freezing) or freezer (if freezing). Box the stuff and set it outside.

Lights. Light in the common area; but you are not going to be watching tevee. Maybe not using the InterWebZ. The network will be down, so...use the light to read a book.

Relatively low draw, all told.
OR.......

People of the past lived their entire lives without any electricity...ever.

You can survive a couple days.

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling
Dirt carried into the house.
Bugs carried into the house.
Dealing with the ashes.
Long time to generate heat when coming home.
Long time to shut down when leaving home (risk of fire from unattended wood fire).
Gummed up chimney, fire hazard if ignored.

I dealt with it for a lot of years and have no regrets switching to propane fireplace. Pellets are a decent fuel alternative, too.
Yeah, I get it...it’s messier than propane. But it heats better and depending on where you live, the fuel source is readily available and free. Propane requires somebody else to process and make available to you.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Yeah, I get it...it’s messier than propane. But it heats better and depending on where you live, the fuel source is readily available and free. Propane requires somebody else to process and make available to you.
I've lived from the Northeast to the Southwest, and I've never been where firewood is "free."

If you own the land, you own the tax bill. And if it's a small plot of land, harvesting the wood, shows it.

If you want to cut firewood in a National Forest...I don't know if you even can, anymore. You have permits, restrictions, and it used to be, only in specified places.

If you buy the wood...I was paying $60 a face-cord twenty years ago, in Erie County, New York. I'd actually buy the wood closer to my parents' place outside Cleveland - illogically, it was cheaper there, at $45 a face-cord. Long way to haul it, though. Illegal, too, to cross into New York with firewood; but I did it under cover of darkness and wasn't caught the two times I did it.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
OR.......

It depends on what you're set up for. With no fireplace, no way to generate heat, and no winter-weight clothing...you won't last long in temperatures of 0 or below.

With indoor plumbing that you can't protect or drain (apartment or condo) you'll have crushing expenses from the cold.

If you don't have a fire pit, there will be no way to cook or even heat up food.

Man is the single animal that ALWAYS must be PREPARED for his environment. Put a Northerner in the Mojave sun, he'll die. Put someone from a hot desert in a Northeastern winter, and he will have a hard time. Takes a lot of planning, equipment, shelter and knowledge to survive - especially without power.

If we have an EMP, which, now with our government of idiots, is likely...estimates are that about 90 percent of the population will DIE.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Never thought of coal piles freezing solid, ugly nasty weather
They likely water it for dust. It freezes, then when the feeders under the pile start sucking coal from underneath. slabs of frozen coal fall into the feeder and either block supply or jam the feeder. The only way to free the jam is to put a dozer on the pile and push the coal off until the feeder can be freed.

Someone posted a graph above showing coal plants running at max capacity. Problem is that max capacity is nearly halved since the wonderful Obama years.

nowon

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Fwiw

TEXAS power outages reflect a catastrophic failure of grid planning and/or operations to maintain enough generation to meet forecast very high loads caused by heating demand during extreme but foreseeable weather conditions. Heating demand in the state in winter is very variable. ERCOT’s system operating plan must be able to meet not just average winter load but also the reasonably foreseeable load during a period of extreme cold when space heating is most critical to the preservation of life.

In the West South Central Census Division of the United States, which covers the states of Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana and Arkansas, median monthly heating demand between December and January over the period from 1973 to 2020 was 495 population-weighted degree days, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. But heating demand in the 90th percentile (one year in ten) exceeded 645 degree days (+30% higher than the “average”). Heating demand in the 95th percentile (one year in twenty) exceeded 715 heating degree days (+45% higher than the “average”). Given the enormous variability in heating demand, planning for an average winter is not enough to ensure reliability.

ERCOT’s system operating plan needs sufficient firm generation capacity to meet its share of these regional loads. Moreover, the plan needs to recognise that during an extreme cold weather event, generator outages are likely to be much higher than normal, owing to frozen equipment and temporary fuel shortages. Failure to start owing to equipment failure or lack of fuel has been common during previous cold weather events, so it should be part of the planning process.

In a conservatively managed grid, controllers plan to maintain a significant generation reserve margin over load even during periods when loads are expected to be extremely high and the risk of generator failures is greater than normal. If the reserve margin falls below the adequate level, controllers should proactively schedule firm emergency generation and/or begin to curtail large non-essential loads ahead of time in order to rebuild an adequate margin.

If load curtailments are necessary, they should be implemented early and focus on non-essential sites to minimise disruption and risks to life and health. Rotating blackouts are a last resort and imply the power crisis has blown through the multiple layers of protection that should have ensured safe and stable electricity supplies. Even then, rotating blackouts should be communicated early and be implemented in controlled and time-limited manner to minimise the risks to customers.

For some reason, these planning and/or operating processes all failed in Texas this week. The question is why, and what must be done to prevent a recurrence?

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
my experience is the arid/mountain people weather worse than the hot/humid people - the arid women look ten years older than they are
This county is kinda like a health and fitness mecca. I see those that work to achieve their optimal health appear scrawny and weak. I do not find that attractive. Doesn't mean that they are wrong in making themselves that way.

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
OR.......

But we have built our way of life around fragile technology. I use the term "we" loosely - I have solar panels and a wood cookstove.

brosil

Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Voodoo

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Seriously? After you run the D-8 Cat over it a few times, they get nice and loose.
There are thousands of coal power plants around the world that run in freezing weather. Im beginning to think that this is More than just complete incompetence.

I live near a large one. Should i wonder over there to see how they manage in 5 below weather?

Last edited:

Buck

Trying Something Different!
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
There are thousands of coal power plants around the world that run in freezing weather. Im beginning to think that this is More than just complete incompetence.

I live near a large one. Should i winder over there to see how they manage in 5 below weather?
yep

and it's happening to Tehas...

not Cali, not NY...Texas

Buck

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
this from a product that was originally designated as a Utility and was planned on being available 24 hours a day in abundance

now look what we have.....

and yet, there isn't a single elite who's been ...

oh never mind

i'm awaiting on the arrival of my new Mao Hat

:green tea:

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner

I live near a large one. Should i winder over there to see how they manage in 5 below weather?
And your roads are open, also.

Because your highway departments have the equipment.

As do power plants in the northern areas. Sheds to protect coal stockpiles; equipment to break up iced fuel supply piles.

Be silly for a utility to redesign with such protections and equipment, when it's needed once every...what, hundred years? As silly as a Texas county highway agency buying a rotary snowplow for snow removal.

the_shootist

Old (not THAT old), but dangerous, pasty white guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Miss me yet?

1613576785889.png

Buck

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
And your roads are open, also.

Because your highway departments have the equipment.

As do power plants in the northern areas. Sheds to protect coal stockpiles; equipment to break up iced fuel supply piles.

Be silly for a utility to redesign with such protections and equipment, when it's needed once every...what, hundred years? As silly as a Texas county highway agency buying a rotary snowplow for snow removal.
wait a minute

so, that SWAT vehicle they paid half a mill for, the one that's rolled out on weekends for a wash and during the week to run DUI checkpoints? how about that AC that runs in every building, the AC that's never turned down to 'save'...how about all the Firedepartments and their dogs, horses, idk, parties?

they waste a boatload of money on everything else: Retirement Parties...

fk it, buy the equipment

Buck

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
after all, what are the implications if they don't buy the equipment?

what?

some dead bodies???

ppfftt

this is exactly how THEY see it

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
wait a minute

so, that SWAT vehicle they paid half a mill for, the one that's rolled out on weekends for a wash and during the week to run DUI checkpoints? how about that AC that runs in every building, the AC that's never turned down to 'save'...how about all the Firedepartments and their dogs, horses, idk, parties?

they waste a boatload of money on everything else: Retirement Parties...

fk it, buy the equipment
Are you serious? I can't tell.

Because government idiocy wastes some money (SWAT vehicles) they should waste exponentially MOAR? Snow-removal equipment is incredibly expensive. And buying it doesn't mean it's going to be there when needed - it takes constant maintenance and attention to have it ready.

You know...like Grandpa's Studebaker in the back shed...the 1966 he was so proud of, best car ever, and one of the last...that after he died, your father left in there. And now you have to clean it up.

It ain't gonna start when you turn the key. No, when you have heavy equipment like that, it needs to be periodically run and maintained; and for a government agency, that means government wages and government resources.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
after all, what are the implications if they don't buy the equipment?

what?

some dead bodies???

ppfftt

this is exactly how THEY see it
Okay, our posts crossed.

I see what you're doing here. cool:

Buck

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
yes, that what i'm saying...waste all of it

why not?

what's the value of a dead granny?

and if the maintenance isn't performed, terminate those who've failed

it all works if it's worked properly, and yes, that includes spending all of it...that's being responsible if it's done properly(our tax money isn't there for them to SAVE, save it for what? for the next retirement party?

we need to overwhelm these people then hold their feet to the fire

too often, we yell out "Don't Spend It On That"...let's simply just spend it all, then place responsibility where it belongs

overwhelm the system works both ways...

beside, we're not coming out of this anytime soon, what does it really matter? and if it's all spent on equipment and infrastructure, that leave less for them to spend on themselves

what i'm offering, hasn't been done in decades

if that's where we're headed, in fact, we're already there...let's break it completely

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
so, that SWAT vehicle they paid half a mill for, the one that's rolled out on weekends for a wash and during the week to run DUI checkpoints?
fwiw, they probably didn't pay anything directly for the swat vehicle. homeland security has been giving federal grants for that stuff for years now.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
The dot just puts a plow on the front of their truck here in co. No expensive snow removal equipment required.
All depends on how much winter weather you get.

Some central-northern Southern areas, just use brine trucks. Many of them just put tanks on the back of small dump trucks - tanks and spraying arms. Off-season, the rig just lifts out of the dump body.

If you don't get a lot of winter weather and snow melts immediately, you can do that.

In Cleveland, many suburbs do as you say. Four-way plows, like Fisher or Myers (gas-station grade) on the front of landscape or dump trucks. Sometimes garbage packers, although municipal trash pickup is going away in favor of contract services.

But, in Buffalo...they had these huge, hulking, OshKosh all-wheel-drive monsters with ginormous curled multiton plows on the front. Or rotaries - like a snowblower, enlarged 10x and powered by a second engine mounted in back. It's a two-man crew running that; and mistakes are often fatal.

Buffalo needed it. That area gets about 280 inches of snow every winter.

It comes down to need and budget. No sense in planning for a weather emergency that hasn't happened yet (not in recorded modern weather history) and may never. This was a surprise.

What SHOULD have been done, is to have contingency plans - such as National Guard equipment available, or access to rent northern cities' equipment for short-term crises.

Buck

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
fwiw, they probably didn't pay anything directly for the swat vehicle. homeland security has been giving federal grants for that stuff for years now.
o.k.
i know this one:
"I'll 'trade' you your cool SWAT vehicle if you agree to install traffic cameras at your major intersections...in fact, i'll help...i'll install the cameras for free if you allow us to put a local police officer into your schools"

"But our schools are safe..."

"We'll make 'em Safer..."

hmmmmm.....
"how about a new Escalade for me?"

"Done"...

quid pro quo...and we know who has access to those traffic cameras

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I have an inverter to run off my car, but not sure of its quality and whether I's want to rely on it to power finance and refrigerator.

Anyone recommend quality inverters?

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
this might be a harbinger for the future 3rd world shithole, amerika

hiring and promoting merit and morality has increasingly been replaced with hiring/promoting other things

are we becoming more fragile and less reliable?

historyrepete

Silver Member
Silver Miner

Biden delivering on his promise ''long dark winter

Buck

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
After this Texas will be far stronger than if it never happened.
i have to ask:
Why would you make this presumption?

it's been cold in Texas off / on for decades, i'll wager it's been colder than this in Texas in the last 100 years, and i'm just wag'ing this here

why would it be safe to presume they'll learn jack-squat from any of this???
the sheep will, but the .gov, i'm a serious doubter until i see the receipt for the finished, better prepared, product

it's gonna cost hundreds of millions just to investigate what went wrong, how to fix it...then their friends get involved and it all fizzles out and they'll just end up where they'll need more money...

and the first brick towards remediation will not be in place

been there...

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
texas has about $11 billion in what it calls the 'rainy day fund'

cant wait to see if they use it - this might qualify as a rainy day, no?

Buck

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
texas has about $11 billion in what it calls the 'rainy day fund'

cant wait to see if they use it - this might qualify as a rainy day, no?
i'd like to believe each and every major company has insurance and the adjusters are probably 'on their way', etc

the money flow doesn't necessarily 'stop', the velocity is simply picked up by another corporation who'll settle it all at the expense of the tax payer

remember, they're part of the club and we're not...

Buck

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++