• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

25% of tx homes have lost electricity, freezing temps creating disaster

Silver

Midas Board Mmbr
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Power back on for now, been out for 3 days. Had plenty of firewood, food, water - wasn't too bad. Saw lots of room for improvement on the preps, - need to improve on lighting, candles and flashlights don't cut it. Gonna buy a couple of hurricane lanterns and some LED lighting. Generator kept the freezer cold - had to switch between refrigerator and freezer.

Have a diesel Onan that needs a fuel cutoff switch and a gas Onan that could use a carb rebuild - moving to the top of the to do list. Used the little Honda this time, but for longer term, need the Onans.

Cooked in the fireplace. Never missed a hot meal or coffee in the morning. This survivalist stuff takes a lot of time.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I am hoping something positive comes out of all this. (Some) people have now realized when the shit is on the table, you have to help yourself.

I hear the US winter wheat crop is fucked, fwiw.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Power back on for now, been out for 3 days. Had plenty of firewood, food, water - wasn't too bad. Saw lots of room for improvement on the preps, - need to improve on lighting, candles and flashlights don't cut it. Gonna buy a couple of hurricane lanterns and some LED lighting. Generator kept the freezer cold - had to switch between refrigerator and freezer.

Have a diesel Onan that needs a fuel cutoff switch and a gas Onan that could use a carb rebuild - moving to the top of the to do list. Used the little Honda this time, but for longer term, need the Onans.

Cooked in the fireplace. Never missed a hot meal or coffee in the morning. This survivalist stuff takes a lot of time.
What was your low temp there?

How about that davis place up the road?

I tried to call CDRI s of davis, to ask what their lowest low was, no answer. I am friends w the groundskeeper/greenhouse guy there, I think he lost his ass.

I bet the 'lost alaskan' felt right at home............:winter:

Last edited:

Silver

Midas Board Mmbr
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Our water company has a big backup generator that had never been used - turned out the pump was installed backwards and was sucking, not pumping, in the freezing weather they had to reinstall and rewire it. Why they had never tested it, I don't know.

Silver

Midas Board Mmbr
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
What was your low temp there?

How about that davis place up the road?

I tried to call CDRI s of davis, to ask what their lowest low was, no answer. I am friends w the groundskeeper/greenhouse guy there, I think he lost his ass.
1 degree and windy.

Silver

Midas Board Mmbr
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Thats pretty cold for that area..........we did -29 in se colorado at my locale.

Thanks for the info!
It went from 1 degree in the morning to 43 in the afternoon. Then back to the normal just below freezing at night to 60 in the afternoon. Was warmer outside than inside at one point (except the fireplace room which stayed nice and warm). Getting ready to snow again tonight.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I am hoping something positive comes out of all this. (Some) people have now realized when the shit is on the table, you have to help yourself.
The 2020's have been a preppers school all around. Like you, I hope people learn from all this and not expect the goobernment to save them.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
All them good ole boys is texas are fizzin' to suck up all the prepper gear!

'Ah Hell NO!'

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I predict it will be a bigger natural diaaster than katrina, and Abbott and Biteme will have to own it.

Shit happens............:don't    know2:

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
houston suburb here..

the action yesterday was at the few restaurants that were open - madhouses all. people waiting an hour in drive through lines

today is gasoline mania some stations already drained - the others are swamped - people waiting in line at each pump

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I'm glad I'm off the grid and not affected by all the outages and related incompetence. It got down to around zero a couple mornings and we got a couple inches of snow which stuck to my solar panels. No big deal, just ran my generators an hour or two a day and charged up the batteries. Today it warmed up and the snow slid off the solar panels. Wood stove worked great as it always does. Just basically business as usual.
Yawn... when are we gonna have a crisis?

brosil

Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Don't they sell Mr. Heaters down there?

Brio

Midas Member
Midas Member
Some enterprising soul needs to open a wood stove sales and installation shop in Texas. Source firewood by the log truck load.

Silver

Midas Board Mmbr
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Some enterprising soul needs to open a wood stove sales and installation shop in Texas. Source firewood by the log truck load.
There are plenty of places to buy wood stoves in the state, I have 2, a Woodstock Soapstone and a wood cookstove from Chihuahua, Mexico. We also have lots of good firewood, oak and mesquite. I'm burning some real nice mesquite right now, makes me a little sad to be burning it up, it would have made beautiful furniture. An enterprising trucker would do well taking our hardwood firewood up north where you burn conifers.

Brio

Midas Member
Midas Member
There are plenty of places to buy wood stoves in the state, I have 2, a Woodstock Soapstone and a wood cookstove from Chihuahua, Mexico. We also have lots of good firewood, oak and mesquite. I'm burning some real nice mesquite right now, makes me a little sad to be burning it up, it would have made beautiful furniture. An enterprising trucker would do well taking our hardwood firewood up north where you burn conifers.
Yes, we compete over hardwoods. A cord of birch is CDN$200. Ouch.

Silver

Midas Board Mmbr
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Yes, we drool over hardwoods. A cord of birch is CDN$200. Ouch.
Right now, firewood sellers are getting $600 a cord for oak, talk about ouch.

Brio

Midas Member
Midas Member
Right now, firewood sellers are getting $600 a cord for oak, talk about ouch.
Can't get oak here at all. Pine and fir is free if you care to fetch it yourself.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
All I burn is conifers. Douglas Fir, Ponderosa Pine and Western Larch. No problems at all. Some guys around here are finicky and won't burn pine, I burn it all and it warms my house just fine. It's my main heat source for the last 11 winters. Creosote problems are minor.
Better yet, it hardly makes any ashes at all. I clean out the ashes 3 times a year.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
That reminds me of how busy the video stores would be with a snowstorm approaching. The vids wouldn't be of much use if the power went out.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
I have an inverter to run off my car, but not sure of its quality and whether I's want to rely on it to power finance and refrigerator.

Anyone recommend quality inverters?
Not by brand; I haven't shopped in fifteen years.

But you want to look for one that alternates current in a SINE WAVE. That's important. Cheap or primitive inverters just slam the alternating current back and forth; the way power is given to homes is, in a progressional wave...like you imagine on a science-fiction film showing an ocilloscope. Back and forth, gradually...

If you get one without a sine wave, it can damage electronics and, depending on design, electric motors. Some have a "modified sine wave" where the changes back and forth don't flow but go in steps. It's usable but not good for equipment. You'll get buzzing from motors and maybe some equipment damage.

One without a sine wave can run lights and simple heaters, like a toaster oven or coffeepot. Otherwise, you need one that offers some sort of sine wave.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
All I burn is conifers. Douglas Fir, Ponderosa Pine and Western Larch. No problems at all. Some guys around here are finicky and won't burn pine, I burn it all and it warms my house just fine. It's my main heat source for the last 11 winters. Creosote problems are minor.
Better yet, it hardly makes any ashes at all. I clean out the ashes 3 times a year.

Be careful of your flue or stovepipe.

My first season with a wood stove, I burned a lot of pine - because I got it free after a winter storm. I just looted debris on the treelawn before trash pickup.

Little ash. Of course it wasn't as warm, but it was free. Then my stovepipe got to roaring. Fortunately, it was metal all the way up - not plumbed into a masonry chimney - and with an adequate doughnut going through the roof; but it was literally glowing inside. I closed the damper and hoped the pipe wouldn't burn through. I was lucky - lucky, too, there was a six-inch snow covering on my roof, so the sparks didn't touch it off.

I won't do that again, if ever I have a woodstove again..

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
yeah, i've ruined parties before...
I've been blacklisted by the Kewel Peeps for 30 years now.

Just as well. I'm happier as a hermit, anyway. I drink at home nights...if I pull the curtains open, I can drink with my own reflection in the dark glass.

The music is all my favorite, and the bar stocks everything I like...

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
I don't see the media asking Xiden what's he going to do to help Texas. They would be screaming at Trump by now if he was in office.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
I don't see the media asking Xiden what's he going to do to help Texas. They would be screaming at Trump by now if he was in office.
Of course, because they couldn't care less. It's about destroying THAT party, and putting OUR party in.

They're not media; they're a propaganda wing.

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner

dacrunch

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling

dacrunch

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Be careful of your flue or stovepipe.

My first season with a wood stove, I burned a lot of pine - because I got it free after a winter storm. I just looted debris on the treelawn before trash pickup.

Little ash. Of course it wasn't as warm, but it was free. Then my stovepipe got to roaring. Fortunately, it was metal all the way up - not plumbed into a masonry chimney - and with an adequate doughnut going through the roof; but it was literally glowing inside. I closed the damper and hoped the pipe wouldn't burn through. I was lucky - lucky, too, there was a six-inch snow covering on my roof, so the sparks didn't touch it off.

I won't do that again, if ever I have a woodstove again..
I had that setup in my 1st house that I was renovating, and boxes full of files, 3 feet away from the flue, upstairs, caught on fire... Smoke alarms got me there in time to prevent a disaster.
And I was burning Maple, Oak & Birch, not pine... but it was a cold winter and no insulation in the 1820's farmhouse...

Then I worked (plumbing) on new condos at a ski resort in Killington. They had a double flue (one inside another) system, but no other "protection" for their fireplaces & stove inserts... Very thin metal... I wouldn't be surprised if several caught fire...

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
The cause of a flue or chimney fire is creosote buildup - not, immediately, the type of wood.

The thing about pine is, it leaves a lot of resin and creosote on the chimney, and even inside the stove. You can have a chimney fire for other reasons, such as past lack of maintenance; but you're more likely to have it if you burn softwood.

Silver

Midas Board Mmbr
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
For the time being at least, General Frost is guarding our southern border if no one else will...

View attachment 202228
No telling how many illegals have died during this cold, just before this Arctic blast, the Central Americans were getting picked up everyday in this region. Groups of 20 to 30, all dressed in camo.

illegals.jpg
illegals.jpg
illegals1.jpg

Tbonz

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
No telling how many illegals have died during this cold, just before this Arctic blast, the Central Americans were getting picked up everyday in this region. Groups of 20 to 30, all dressed in camo.

View attachment 202240 View attachment 202240 View attachment 202241

These people need to be sent HOME IMMEDIATELY. Today Bidet announced a pathway to citizenship, fast track for dreamers. This needs to end, our government is failing to protect the CITIZENS of this country.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

View attachment 202240 View attachment 202240 View attachment 202241
Biden & the squad will be installing propane heaters next to the emergency water supplies that are left out for the illegals.
Plenty of cash for that saved by not finishing a wall.

Last edited:

anywoundedduck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser