• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

$30,000 gold.

Zed

The Bullish Bear.
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Many years ago I calculated that the top gold price I could conceive of using money supply, gold inventory numbers and some assumed growth, it was around $30,000. I thought that sounded nuts, I have mentioned it a few times and each time I come off sounding nuts... but punch in the right and not unreasonable assumptions and you can get there.

Anywhooo... this is the first time I have heard someone respectable mention a number that high... that exact number as it happens.

http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldnews/Broadcast/Entries/2011/5/14_Jim_Rickards.html

My low end was $5700... LOL, that sounded goofy enough when we'd not yet got to $300!!!

It is a little surreal listening to Jim discuss it. I'm not sure I want to see a $30K gold world!

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Who knows where it will end up? They'll probably change the US before it gets too far gone....?

Zed

The Bullish Bear.
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
I would think so.... hopefully it is more a theoretical limit than a practical one.

Avalon

Lawn Protected by Guns Of Avalon
Platinum Bling
Zed, I think after what just happened to silver the handwriting is on the wall. Gold will only be allowed to get so high and then be taken down the way silver has been. Everyone thinks this is a little glitch with silver. I dont think so. I think TPTB have spoken and silver will not see 50 dollars an oz for a very long time.

Zed

The Bullish Bear.
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Zed, I think after what just happened to silver the handwriting is on the wall. Gold will only be allowed to get so high and then be taken down the way silver has been. Everyone thinks this is a little glitch with silver. I dont think so. I think TPTB have spoken and silver will not see 50 dollars an oz for a very long time.
Yeah... I'm not so down on silver, I suspect there are a few twists and turns in this story yet. That top just didn't have the right background... I suspect that there is more to come only this time gold will be going quite hard as well. I think there is a big interim top here somewhere, I thought that May would deliver it but it just was not convincing... no gold... no stocks... not even a copper rally along side silver, not what I look for in a natural top. As for take downs, I don't think they have as much power as they are credited with, despite what happened in silver... but that is JMO.

Haole

Silver Member
Silver Miner
$30K gold..? Yes please.

Oldmansmith

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
What is the price of Gold in Confederate dollars? German Papier marks? Zimbabwe dollars?

earplugs

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
It's easy to do with a rigged digital market and fictitious parades like slv and gld.

Bx3

Silver Member
Silver Miner
TPTB may have spoken but just like a river, when natural forces take over.....the metals will win in the end. Bx3

Zed

The Bullish Bear.
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
$30K gold..? Yes please.
Life in the US would be a bit harsh at 30K gold and butter might cost $30 lb! Be careful :biggrin:

Zed

The Bullish Bear.
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
I would gladly take Alf Field's 10K projection. Bunch of pigs on this board. :s11:
I dunno about pigs... you assume that 30K will still actually buy something substantial by then!!!! I would not be that hopeful. I think that a new currency would arrive before then, one thing is for sure, it is going to be interesting to watch.

Haole

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Life in the US would be a bit harsh at 30K gold and butter might cost $30 lb! Be careful :biggrin:
Not necessarily, another fallacy actually.

I think these are just numbers. I agree with you. Was the world markedly different Dow 800 Dow 12K? I can't see 30K Gold but I can see just shy of 10K. It will clearly outpace inflation and the cost of what it is you want to buy when you cash out.

Zed

The Bullish Bear.
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
What because you say so? The amount of inflation that it would take to get to 30K gold will kill the middle class of the USA and make life miserable for the lower classes.

Zed

The Bullish Bear.
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Was the world markedly different Dow 800 Dow 12K?
YES... markedly, at 800 the US was comparatively solvent, at 12000 it was far less so. The disease was further advanced even if the symptoms had not shown that much at that point. The fall out was/is unavoidable and on its way. Study your debt clock and tell me how the inflation that got the US to this point and the concomitant debt does not wreak havoc...

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

It is simply unavoidable, you could not fix this without some form of default even if you actually made a serious attempt! All this with gold still in the mid teens... can you imagine it @ 30K?