• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

30-06 vs. 270 Win

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
We need a GoldIsMoney2.com range day.

Then again, if all this gloom and doom about civil unrest comes to fruition, the range will come to us.
A GIM range day would be a pile of fun. It seems about all of us are shooters.

Argentsum

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
45-70 is a good "brush gun." Massive bullet can punch holes through vegetation and not see appreciable deflection. Sadly, it has the ballistics of a rainbow. I'd imagine it could stop a bear quite effectively seeing that its basically a man portable cannon.

My brother-in-law has a feather weight 30-06. The kick is intense but not crisp. That said, I don't care to fire it more then once or twice. Great for hunting when you have to lug it around all day.

Personally, I find a .308 can drop anything up to an elk in most circumstances.

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
45-70 is a good "brush gun." Massive bullet can punch holes through vegetation and not see appreciable deflection. Sadly, it has the ballistics of a rainbow. I'd imagine it could stop a bear quite effectively seeing that its basically a man portable cannon.

My brother-in-law has a feather weight 30-06. The kick is intense but not crisp. That said, I don't care to fire it more then once or twice. Great for hunting when you have to lug it around all day.

Personally, I find a .308 can drop anything up to an elk in most circumstances.
Best part about .45-70 Gov't is that it doesn't have to penetrate armor plate to be deadly, just the kinetic force will do you in. It makes a 12 Gauge slug look tame.

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
....Personally, I find a .308 can drop anything up to an elk in most circumstances.
.308 Win equals .30-06 after a week at the fat farm. Faster, hotter powder in a smaller case.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Best part about .45-70 Gov't is that it doesn't have to penetrate armor plate to be deadly, just the kinetic force will do you in. It makes a 12 Gauge slug look tame.
Yeah, what are you getting, up to 22-2300 foot pounds of energy from a decent load? That’s an enormous amount of kinetic force, as you called it.