• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

5 Reasons Fixing Your Own Car Will Change Your Life

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Automatic transmissions are a major component in vehicle planned obsolescence. Modern anto trannys are built so poorly they are literally made to break and are so expensive to replace most people just sign on the the line for another car and years more payments. My 2013 focus has a 5 speed, by 2015 they were not available anymore. Junkyards across the world are full of ford focuses with perfect bodies and blown transmissions.

My next vehicle will be a Toyota Tacoma, you can still get a 4 wheel drive Tacoma with a manual. They are ugly as feck but I don't care.
They will last 200+ k easily.

200k, Heck a group I'm in on FB has members with well over 400k on their Tacos. I have a first gen Tundra and there are many of them running around with 500K.

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

stoli

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
A good friend of mine owns a tranny shop. He tells me all the time to keep driving my old trucks. Pricing on new transmissions is insane.
Feel bad for some of his clients that don't have the $$ to fix the car or truck that their still paying a note on.
Automatic transmissions are a major component in vehicle planned obsolescence. Modern anto trannys are built so poorly they are literally made to break and are so expensive to replace most people just sign on the the line for another car and years more payments. My 2013 focus has a 5 speed, by 2015 they were not available anymore. Junkyards across the world are full of ford focuses with perfect bodies and blown transmissions.

My next vehicle will be a Toyota Tacoma, you can still get a 4 wheel drive Tacoma with a manual. They are ugly as feck but I don't care.
They will last 200+ k easily.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Just replaced a coil pack on my 06 Avalon. Not exactly a difficult job for many of you here but it was nice. Started on the way home and lights came on and it ran pretty rough. Pretty similar to 2 years ago when another one went out so I had a good idea of what happened. Got home slowly, scanned it and yep code is pretty clear, bad ignition on Cylinder B. Quick run to the shop and then changed the part the next morning. Took an hour as it didn't go real smooth but lucky it was one of the front cylinders. The only problem was that cylinder 4 wire harness went right over the top and the stupid tab had broken off and someone Zip tied it together.

Saved me from having to find a mechanic and then not being able to drive for a couple days.

Anyone think I should also attempt to change all the plugs and remaining coil packs? I have driven it for 100k miles and haven't changed any plugs. No mechanics seem excited to do the job.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Just replaced a coil pack on my 06 Avalon. Not exactly a difficult job for many of you here but it was nice. Started on the way home and lights came on and it ran pretty rough. Pretty similar to 2 years ago when another one went out so I had a good idea of what happened. Got home slowly, scanned it and yep code is pretty clear, bad ignition on Cylinder B. Quick run to the shop and then changed the part the next morning. Took an hour as it didn't go real smooth but lucky it was one of the front cylinders. The only problem was that cylinder 4 wire harness went right over the top and the stupid tab had broken off and someone Zip tied it together.

Saved me from having to find a mechanic and then not being able to drive for a couple days.

Anyone think I should also attempt to change all the plugs and remaining coil packs? I have driven it for 100k miles and haven't changed any plugs. No mechanics seem excited to do the job.
My approach to that is, what ain't broke, don't fix.

Plugs USED to be preventative maintenance. With the removal of lead in gasoline, and electronic ignition and on-plug coil packs (removing much resistance) they can last much longer.

Sure, if you're trying to keep it totally tip-top, you should spend money to have it done. For a work car that's running okay..I wouldn't bother, until you start getting another cylinder that's not running right. Fix what's broke and leave the rest.

Since it has a hundred thousand miles on it...you won't have it for another hundred thousand, likely. Toyotas last, when cared for, for about 230,000 miles. A lot of little things will pop up between now and then, and you will probably decide to sell it, cheap, to some kid who needs a first car.

If you have to, to make it run right, you might want to replace all that stuff then. Not before, and only as a condition of sale.

Otherwise, stick to the obvious. Oil, lube, filter, tires, brakes. Let the rest break as it will, and get it then.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
My approach to that is, what ain't broke, don't fix.

Plugs USED to be preventative maintenance. With the removal of lead in gasoline, and electronic ignition and on-plug coil packs (removing much resistance) they can last much longer.

Sure, if you're trying to keep it totally tip-top, you should spend money to have it done. For a work car that's running okay..I wouldn't bother, until you start getting another cylinder that's not running right. Fix what's broke and leave the rest.

Since it has a hundred thousand miles on it...you won't have it for another hundred thousand, likely. Toyotas last, when cared for, for about 230,000 miles. A lot of little things will pop up between now and then, and you will probably decide to sell it, cheap, to some kid who needs a first car.

If you have to, to make it run right, you might want to replace all that stuff then. Not before, and only as a condition of sale.

Otherwise, stick to the obvious. Oil, lube, filter, tires, brakes. Let the rest break as it will, and get it then.

That kinda seems to be the general consensus. Not sure on the back though as those are a bitch to get to. If another one of those packs goes bad I'll change all of them. I bought the thing used with like 114k miles already on the car. Up to 206k miles and still runs pretty good but the gas mileage has slipped which was another consideration for thinking it might need new plugs. Could be a fuel filter or something silly. I drive a lot of gravel roads so having a nice car is pretty dumb.

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Plugs and coolant change.
Coils pretty much work or they dont.

I sold off my 2001 Camry at 198k miles and bought a one owner 2014 Camry with 12k miles.
A car dealer friend said at 200k plus miles, people get a little bit more picky even on toyotas.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
The passenger window in my 2001 g m c Sierra had always been sluggish once getting halfway rolled up. It took me 15 years but I finally addressed it. I've already replaced the driver side track mechanism years ago.

I took off the door panel Damned squirted silicone all over the track on the seals at the bottom of the window where it meets the door I move the track up and down a bunch of times. It didn't quite do it so I ended up spraying the actual window with the silicone on both the inside and the outside then bringing the window down and back up respraying then bringing it down and up again. That did the trick and it's more than 90% better.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Guess I'll be teaching my kid how to replace a bumper soon enough.
Some guy figured he'd test out how his mustang would hold out rearing ending my steel bumper'd bronco.
o6In6x1.png

We got nudged and inch or so, kid said, "what was that?"

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Plugs and coolant change.
Coils pretty much work or they dont.

I sold off my 2001 Camry at 198k miles and bought a one owner 2014 Camry with 12k miles.
A car dealer friend said at 200k plus miles, people get a little bit more picky even on toyotas.
Yes, coolant change.

THAT is IMPORTANT. Especially with an aluminum engine.
Oil, filter & tranny at proper intervals AND then I change ALL body fluids at 100K miles :finished:

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Let me guess. The driver of the stang was fiddle f#@kin with a cell phone
I don't know, probably, he never hit his brakes as far as I heard. I felt a bit sorry, he car was fucked and leaking fluids, it was his car he always wanted. But shit, watch where you are going.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I don't know, probably, he never hit his brakes as far as I heard. I felt a bit sorry, he car was fucked and leaking fluids, it was his car he always wanted. But shit, watch where you are going.
A lesson all young men eventually learn..

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
A lesson all young men eventually learn..
well guy was 58 so, i guess he might eventually learn it.

Anyways, the insurance company planned on totalling it; until their value search came back as it costing 25k to replace! I knew they were popular now, but thats insane. Anyways, they are more than happy to rather pay the 5k the most expensive estimate was to fix it up.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
well guy was 58 so, i guess he might eventually learn it.

Anyways, the insurance company planned on totalling it; until their value search came back as it costing 25k to replace! I knew they were popular now, but thats insane. Anyways, they are more than happy to rather pay the 5k the most expensive estimate was to fix it up.

It's crazy right now. My wife decided to try and take down another deer this week. :make happy:. I thought they would total the car since it's got like 150k miles on it and I'm pretty much done with it. But I'm seeing some Toyota's with 170-180k miles they STILL want more than $20,000 for. Mileage seems not to be a main driver of cost which is just dumb.

Last edited:

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Mileage seems not to be a main driver of cost which is just dumb.
I'm confused by this, could you please elaborate?

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
It's crazy right now. My wife decided to try and take down another deer this week. :make happy:. I thought they would total the car since it's got like 150k miles on it and I'm pretty much down with it. But I'm seeing some Toyota's with 170-180k miles they STILL want more than $20,000 for. Mileage seems not to be a main driver of cost which is just dumb.
That kind of mileage on any thing other than a Toyota is now a beater. Toyota is just barely broke in at 150k.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
That kind of mileage on any thing other than a Toyota is now a beater. Toyota is just barely broke in at 150k.
Yeah but unfortunately not with the Turbo charged, 4-cylinder GDI engines of today.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Yeah but unfortunately not with the Turbo charged, 4-cylinder GDI engines of today.

I don't care what it is but even Toyotas are going to need a bunch of work. I spent $2,500 bucks or so on shocks at about that mileage. Transmission is weak now and won't change smoothly on occasion. Some coil packs have gone bad.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Man this had me cryin'! I'm still laughing. Farkin Cartoon personified.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Man this had me cryin'! I'm still laughing. Farkin Cartoon personified.
I've watched this 3 times. My mentor hit the bullseye 25 years ago. Its amazing to watch it real time. What a trip.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Scotty's a National Treasure

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Lol. I happen to have a 2001 Mercedes I’m selling for $1000 if anyone is interested. I’ve probably spent $5000 on it. Lol. Ridiculous.
Runs and drives? Where u @

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Lol. I happen to have a 2001 Mercedes I’m selling for $1000 if anyone is interested. I’ve probably spent $5000 on it. Lol. Ridiculous.
Went on Carfax last night and 2001 Mercedes cars are selling at about 2/3 less then the equivalent Ford from the same year.

Notable notes frim owners, Benz' are VERY EXPENSIVE to fix.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Scotty disses brodozers.......................................
pban-cha.gif

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

5 Reasons Fixing Your Own Car Will Change Your Life​

Here's one reason. Chicks really dig it.
20220128_202024_HDR~2.jpg
20220128_202051_HDR~2.jpg

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
I just changed my oil and rotated my tires. I don't feel any different.

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score