• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

5 Reasons Fixing Your Own Car Will Change Your Life

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
White deposit on plugs pretty even throughout all 8cylinders. They were in there for over 10 years.What's it mean fellas?
20220129_174611_HDR.jpg
20220129_174605_HDR~2.jpg
20220129_174611_HDR~2.jpg
20220129_174323_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
This body work guy has great short concise vids.

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
White deposit on plugs pretty even throughout all 8cylinders. They were in there for over 10 years.What's it mean fellas?View attachment 242361View attachment 242362View attachment 242364View attachment 242365
That you have an old enough GM product that the engine is well made. White means it ain't too rich, too lean or burning oil.
The excessive gap just shows that the plugs are worn but still doing the job just fine. I'm guessing it ran good before changing them.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
That you have an old enough GM product that the engine is well made. White means it ain't too rich, too lean or burning oil.
The excessive gap just shows that the plugs are worn but still doing the job just fine. I'm guessing it ran good before changing them.

Runs good but slightly off. I'm thinking/injector. Ran pva cleaner it seemed better but need to fire up OBD2 scanner and re check codes.

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Runs good but slightly off. I'm thinking/injector. Ran pva cleaner it seemed better but need to fire up OBD2 scanner and re check codes.
Ever change the mass air flow sensor? It can get weak without giving off codes. If you have the old spider injectors the upgrade to MPFI makes a world of difference. My old 4.3 snaps to life so quickly now it's running before the computer knows it.

Last edited:

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Ever change the mass air flow sensor? It can get weak without giving off codes If you have the old spider injectors the upgrade to MPFI makes a world of difference. My old 4.3 snaps to life so quickly now it's running before the computer knows it.

Cleaned the MAF with the special stuff last year. Has original cats too. Needs water pump too. Rebuilt trans want to milk the engine for all it's worth.
Yes I literally slid under the closing door of quality with this purchase. Bought cert used in 05. Closing in on 2 decades of ownership with a quarter million on the clock

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Ford is DONE with Car Dealers! | They're Selling Direct To Consumer

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I replaced a rear brake caliper on my ZR 2 Saturday. I don't even bother trying to free up the piston anymore these things are so badly designed it's a waste of time.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I replaced a rear brake caliper on my ZR 2 Saturday. I don't even bother trying to free up the piston anymore these things are so badly designed it's a waste of time.

Did you just get the off the shelf reman? How much $?

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score

If its locked up doesnt pay to free it up same thing will happen again. Tried it years back and it locked up again a few weeks later

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Did you just get the off the shelf reman? How much $?
All the parts places have these things in stock. I usually use O Reiley

zzbrake.jpg

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
All the parts places have these things in stock. I usually use O Reiley

View attachment 249798
Same ones I used. Replaced within past 5 years, still pumping
O'Reilly is closest parts store but 35% of the time they'll give you the wrong part. They actually gave me a Camaro output shaft seal for my pickup truck, wasn't even close to the right size.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
American Time Capsule: Abandoned Dealership Collier Motors AMC Has 200+ Classic Cars! (FULL TOUR)

Mar 4
We went out to Collier Motors AMC in Pikeville North Carolina to meet up with Robbie Collier. Robbie is tasked with managing his fathers estate which includes the last surviving American Motors dealership in the world. This place has over 200 classic American cars from the 1940's up until the 2000's hidden among the brush around the original dealership building. Javelins AMX Ambassadors Gremlins Pacers Ramblers EVERYTHING is here. Even Barry Goldwater's former personal AMC AMX with all kinds of custom stuff. Robbie is selling EVERYTHING on the lot so check out his Facebook page!

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I remember seeing a write-up of Collier Motors, ten years ago - linked at a Jeep board, when I had one.

Back then, the owner was still alive - very eccentric, probably senile; but he had about twelve brand-new 1982 AMC models, stickers in the windows, unsold.

Don't know how rusty they got (that damp environment) but the paint was trash. Hope someone got some use out of them..

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Check out my car collection!

Um, they look like shit man.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Mine is a 99 mercury grand marquis 154k miles just replaced harmonic balancer 62.00 other is 2008 suzixi xl7 getting ready to replace spark plugs, tips appreciated,124k on that

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score

Yea, but @Buck might be able to finally find some matching hubcaps for that pacer of his. The ones he's got now are from a Gremlin and two different years of Ambassadors.

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Yea, but @Buck might be able to finally find some matching hubcaps for that pacer of his. The ones he's got now are from a Gremlin and two different years of Ambassadors.
don't be envious...they only kinda-fit, what you don't see is the wad of duct tape stuffed in-between to help keep the clatter down

i still gotta chase one of 'em every once in a while...

:truck2:

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
1647569885766.png

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Last edited:

Someone_else

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Wife: "Do you have a {item}?"
Me: "Yes and no."
Wife: "What do you mean?"
Me: "I have one, but I am not going on an Indiana Jones adventure to find it."

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
One of my business neighbors came over looking for a 1-5/8" open-end box wrench to turn the engine over on one of his race cars to time it or something. I had some big Crescent wrenches handy but he didn't have the clearance for those. I knew I had at least 1 or 3 buried in the big wrench gaylord at another warehouse and I definitely wanted to produce one for him because- well- neighbors and all. Dug out the crate with all the big wrenches. Here's where it gets bad... I ran across seven, 1-13/16" open-end box wrenches before I came across the first 1-5/8". I hate to get rid of anything, especially quality tools, but yeah, pretty sure I've got too much crap.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Wife: "Do you have a {item}?"
Me: "Yes and no."
Wife: "What do you mean?"
Me: "I have one, but I am not going on an Indiana Jones adventure to find it."

director's cut:
Wife: *gives that look that says it will pay off in the near future.*
Me:
35f2e77e2dc9a9915759eba4b109f8a042-indiana-jones-video-games.1x.rsocial.w1200.jpg

CiscoKid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Not sure if it falls under the category of "fixing" my cars, but with the world going to shit I decided to freshen them all up since I have no intentions of buying anything new in the near future. The prices of new cars and trucks have gone insane - particularly pickup trucks. Decided to keep what I had running and save money come personal property tax time. In my state, you pay 2.5% of every $100 of value on your vehicles every December. You get hosed pretty badly on new vehicles since their Blue Book value is still high. It pays to drive old stuff.

I started with my daily driver, which is a GMC crew cab diesel powered dually. I changed the oil and put a new air filter in it. That was expensive enough, but really about all you have to do to a diesel.

My wife has a 2014 Yukon XL. It has that "feature" where it shuts off cylinders if it thinks you aren't using them. This handy "feature" from GM causes the lifters to fail and takes out the cam shaft when it happens. I purchased a gadget from Range Technology called an AFM disabler. Plug it into the OBD port under the dash and you have an eight cylinder all the time. I paid for eight cylinders - I figure they should be working all the time and not loafing like some union dock worker. I also put six fresh quarts of Mobil 1 and a new Wix filter on it. Replaced the air filter while I was at it.

All that left was my toy. A 1999 Corvette convertible that I take to the golf course and back. When it isn't playing golf, it lives in a garage plugged into a battery tender. I changed the oil with Mobil 1 and a Wix filter, replaced the air filter, and decided to freshen the tranny fluid and filter while I was at it. Probably should have sourced the last part out because the trans is in the rear and you have to add the fluid through a hole in the side that is right next to a hot exhaust pipe. I used a bottle made for watering hanging plants. You squeeze the bottle and the fluid shoots into the hole. Keep squeezing until fluid runs out the hole. There is no dipstick since it would have to be in the trunk. The car must be running and hot while you perform this service. More insanity from GM. Which reminds me - are we still allowed to call it tranny fluid or should we be calling it gender neutral shift juice?

Anyhow, while buying the Mobil 1 at Walmart, I noticed that the oil aisle was looking rather bare. And diesel oil is getting scarce for some reason. Now that all my vehicles have been attended to, I may just buy some more and stash it away for the future. I get my Wix filters off the internet since Walmart doesn't sell them so I might as well order those as well.

vette4.JPG

Daily driver. Duramax (LBZ) with a six speed Allison behind it. Just an all-around beast of a truck. It has been very good to me.

truck2.JPG

Last edited:

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Speaking of those Port plug-in devices is there one that really works to increase your gas mileage anybody ever use one of those

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
That is so true, the worse for me is knowing I have something but end up running to the the hardware store because I can’t find where I put it.
We must be related.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Not sure if it falls under the category of "fixing" my cars, but with the world going to shit I decided to freshen them all up since I have no intentions of buying anything new in the near future. The prices of new cars and trucks have gone insane - particularly pickup trucks. Decided to keep what I had running and save money come personal property tax time. In my state, you pay 2.5% of every $100 of value on your vehicles every December. You get hosed pretty badly on new vehicles since their Blue Book value is still high. It pays to drive old stuff.

I started with my daily driver, which is a GMC crew cab diesel powered dually. I changed the oil and put a new air filter in it. That was expensive enough, but really about all you have to do to a diesel.

My wife has a 2014 Yukon XL. It has that "feature" where it shuts off cylinders if it thinks you aren't using them. This handy "feature" from GM causes the lifters to fail and takes out the cam shaft when it happens. I purchased a gadget from Range Technology called an AFM disabler. Plug it into the OBD port under the dash and you have an eight cylinder all the time. I paid for eight cylinders - I figure they should be working all the time and not loafing like some union dock worker. I also put six fresh quarts of Mobil 1 and a new Wix filter on it. Replaced the air filter while I was at it.

All that left was my toy. A 1999 Corvette convertible that I take to the golf course and back. When it isn't playing golf, it lives in a garage plugged into a battery tender. I changed the oil with Mobil 1 and a Wix filter, replaced the air filter, and decided to freshen the tranny fluid and filter while I was at it. Probably should have sourced the last part out because the trans is in the rear and you have to add the fluid through a hole in the side that is right next to a hot exhaust pipe. I used a bottle made for watering hanging plants. You squeeze the bottle and the fluid shoots into the hole. Keep squeezing until fluid runs out the hole. There is no dipstick since it would have to be in the trunk. The car must be running and hot while you perform this service. More insanity from GM. Which reminds me - are we still allowed to call it tranny fluid or should we be calling it gender neutral shift juice?

Anyhow, while buying the Mobil 1 at Walmart, I noticed that the oil aisle was looking rather bare. And diesel oil is getting scarce for some reason. Now that all my vehicles have been attended to, I may just buy some more and stash it away for the future. I get my Wix filters off the internet since Walmart doesn't sell them so I might as well order those as well.

View attachment 250859

Daily driver. Duramax (LBZ) with a six speed Allison behind it. Just an all-around beast of a truck. It has been very good to me.

View attachment 250860
Just saw Scotty discussing those...no bueno, no trabajo.

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

View attachment 250859

View attachment 250860
Good to see you brother!

:holding hands:

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Here is one of those simple things that still makes me happy when they work out. The third brake light on the back of my S10 cab was looking pretty sun faded and cloudy. Also one of the bulbs was burned out and on closer inspection the frickin' OEM bulbs had melted spots on the lens.

At first I was just looking for new bulbs then I found this LED & Lens kit on amazon for $16. Put it on today, it fits great, it looks great with bright red LED's under a clear red lens. Being straight from china it's basically the same as OEM GM. . whistle:

Winner!

51xXwT0g+fL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Chevy equinox swapped Miata

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Chevy won't replace battery in 5 yr old car: this is way worse than Tesla

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Cute

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Chevy won't replace battery in 5 yr old car: this is way worse than Tesla

Hey, how about that.

Notice, too, the cost-factor in buying a battery, on brands where you can. The humongous expense of a Tesla battery...close to cost. That should be setting off alarm bells in potential-buyers' heads...this kind of car isn't "maintenance free" any more than it's "zero emissions."

This is the worst kind of Planned Obsolescence on display in the market. As he says, spend $20k for a wonderful Save-Da-Planet ELECTRIC CAR!!...and in five years, it's not only unusable, but scrap that's very expensive to deal with, for the reclamation cost.

This has NEVER happened in the auto field. Sure, manufacturers have closed up. But when Studebaker or American Motors closed or were bought out, NAPA still made parts for them. There were still parts for just about everything.

Not this.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I have owned an electric vehicle. A used Zero Motorcycle...and while it was mine, Zero declared that models my year (four years old at the time) were "prototypes" and were no longer supported.

Since Zeros had/have a lot of microprocessing internals for power distribution and had a habit of "bricking" (going dead, unable to revive; meant a replacement of the whole battery/computer system) I sold it, fast.

Niver agin.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
I've done 2 prius batteries. I'll never do another