• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

5 Reasons Fixing Your Own Car Will Change Your Life

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

offourse2

Seeker
Site Supporter ++
Seeker
Reaction score
I speculate that we are missing some critical facts in this story.
I Was involved in a similar situation. When first starting out in the auto repair business I split my forehead open on a trailer hitch while hooking a car up to the tow truck. I had to go to the hospital and have a bunch of stitches. When I called my Workmen’s Comp. carrier they told me that they would cover all of the bills above the car owners medical liability limit. Because I was injured by contact with the car their Insurance was primary. I did not sue the owner of the vehicle. Crazy laws.

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Fuel filter
Changed fuel filter. Check engine light hasn’t come back on yet, but with a scan, still getting P0101 MAF Sensor “A” Circuit Range/Performance. That I had cleaned, maybe time to replace?

And the truck has poor acceleration and top speed.

From Rock Auto:

Vacuum leaks present symptoms similar to a faulty MAF Sensor. When replacing the MAF, always check for vacuum leaks, too. Common sources include:

• Cracked or loose Vacuum Hoses / Connectors - an audio Stethoscope can help detect air induced sounds from vacuum leaks.
  • Leaking Intake Manifold Gasket (found in the "Engine" category) - Vacuum Gauge readings below 17-22 in-Hg (normal manifold vacuum at sea level) at idle may indicate an intake manifold gasket leak.
    • Note: As elevation increases, readings decrease. Subtract 1 in-Hg from normal manifold vacuum reference for every 1,000 feet increase in elevation above 2,000 feet.
  • Stuck open PCV Valve - remove the PCV Valve and gently shake it; if it does not rattle, the valve is clogged or dirty and should be replaced.
  • Cracked Intake Boot (found in the "Engine" category)

Last edited:

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I Was involved in a similar situation. When first starting out in the auto repair business I split my forehead open on a trailer hitch while hooking a car up to the tow truck. I had to go to the hospital and have a bunch of stitches. When I called my Workmen’s Comp. carrier they told me that they would cover all of the bills above the car owners medical liability limit. Because I was injured by contact with the car their Insurance was primary. I did not sue the owner of the vehicle. Crazy laws.
My shins & ball hitches have a bad relationship, can't imagine the same for the forehead.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
2003 Suburban 5.3L
I have an 01 sierra 5.3. same vehicle in many regards

I just went looking for your previous posts and having a little trouble but what did you say about fuel injectors? Have you tried any good fuel injector cleaner? (PEA based)

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Changed fuel filter. Check engine light hasn’t come back on yet, but with a scan, still getting P0101 MAF Sensor “A” Circuit Range/Performance. That I dad cleaned, maybe time to replace?

And the truck has poor acceleration and top speed.
If you get a new maf, I've heard people having troubles with the Chinese stuff and have been recommended to stick with OEM MAF

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I have an 01 sierra 5.3. same vehicle in many regards

I just went looking for your previous posts and having a little trouble but what did you say about fuel injectors? Have you tried any good fuel injector cleaner? (PEA based)

A few things that seem listed to try when you the misfires. MAF, fuel filter, vacuum, head gasket, spark plugs, coils and maybe a clogged CAT.

I poured some injector cleaner in fuel tank already. This stuff:
1651971273875.jpeg

Au-myn

Goldbug
Founding Member
Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I poured some injector cleaner in fuel tank already. This stuff:
That's great for the carb. My Dad turned me on to B-12 back in 1974. I started using it on my 1966 Thunderbird.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
A few things that seem listed to try when you the misfires. MAF, fuel filter, vacuum, head gasket, spark plugs, coils and maybe a clogged CAT.

I poured some injector cleaner in fuel tank already. This stuff: View attachment 257994
Plugs and wires of high quality and plugs gapped correctly? What kind of air filter are you using?

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Plugs and wires of high quality and plugs gapped correctly? What kind of air filter are you using?
I did take the vehicle in to a Chevy dealer when I bought it used to check it out. They said the plugs were in good shape. I pulled one and it looks fine. I am leaning towards the CATs being the problem, might “replace” those next. As I said, I have been getting the P0420 for a while.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I did take the vehicle in to a Chevy dealer when I bought it used to check it out. They said the plugs were in good shape. I pulled one and it looks fine. I am leaning towards the CATs being the problem, might “replace” those next. As I said, I have been getting the P0420 for a while.
You can/get checked, the exhaust(back) pressure before and after the car. Drill hole, insert pressure guage, add bung/plug hole.

PO420 dude:weed:

Fuck what the dealer says, I'd get new plugs & wires regardless and swap them out, properly gap plugs and keep old stuff as back-up. & Same with air filter. If using a reusable/washable k&n filter, replace with paper.

The oils from filter can easily get on MAF and screw with reading.

Also make sure oil is clean, good filter & proper viscosity.(as side note)

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
You can/get checked, the exhaust(back) pressure before and after the car. Drill hole, insert pressure guage, add bung/plug hole.

PO420 dude:weed:

Fuck what the dealer says, I'd get new plugs & wires regardless and swap them out, properly gap plugs and keep old stuff as back-up. & Same with air filter. If using a reusable/washable k&n filter, replace with paper.

The oils from filter can easily get on MAF and screw with reading.

Also make sure oil is clean, good filter & proper viscosity.(as side note)
Instead of drilling holes, couldn’t l just use the existing O2 sensor holes?

OK, I’ll do the coils, wires and plugs, I was trying to do one thing at a time to see if I could isolate were the problem is.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
My next project is tuning up the wifes suziki xl7, has 135k miles on it figure its due. Did my 99 Grand Marquis last year was dissapointed I didnt get a good bump in mileage, I used those 4 prong splitfire plugs, the titanium ones, even cleaned all the fuel injectiors, maybe the old one prong is better. ? Now Ive got a check engine light it says cars running too lean. 155k on it you would think it would be running rich.

Last edited:

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Anyone ever given thought to cutting out their catalytic converters as a means to increase gas mileage? I had one go bad years back old dodge van, failed inspection they told me the converters clogged, they were pretty pricey back then so I took the converter off and knocked out all the honeycomb inside and it passed inspection, back in Jersey they used to use mirrors to look under the car to make sure you had a convert on it.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score

I poured some injector cleaner in fuel tank already. This stuff: View attachment 257994
I use techron, I dont know if any of these additives really do any good, only one I can say really worked was a transmsiion one, tranny was acting up , I forget the issue, shifting strange or something, guy said add this , put it in and tranny has been great, that was years ago

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Instead of drilling holes, couldn’t l just use the existing O2 sensor holes?

OK, I’ll do the coils, wires and plugs, I was trying to do one thing at a time to see if I could isolate were the problem is.
Yes you can. Sometimes it's easier to drill a hole than fark with and risk damaging the sensor .

Your going to want to have fresh p&w filters etc anyway, so mightcas well do a full tune up of all that stuff and in the worst case you'll have spare parts. If you haven't done plugs yet on that motor, the # 8 is tough to do. You might want to research a few write-ups / vids. A swivel adapter and the right length extension + type of rachet makes it not hard.

I would definitely want to get that number 8 plug out and check its condition and Gap.

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am leaning towards the CATs being the problem, might “replace” those next. As I said, I have been getting the P0420 for a while.
Before you resort to that, maybe try Scotty's method for cleanig CATs?

Edited to add:
There are mixed reviews on his method. Some say it worked for them, others say it didn't. Probably comes down to what is actually wrong with the CAT, as some may be beyond repair.
....but if faced with cost of replacement, I fail to see how it could hurt to try it. If it works you'll save some money by not having to buy new ones.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Will this buff out?

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
My windshield wiper motor went out last week. I've got a new one in the mail; but I am not looking forward to replacing it, it appears to be a giant PITA where you have to disassemble a whole lot just to get at the motor.... ugh, gonna have to find time for it.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Reason # 11:
So you don't end up looking like that poor Momo staring blankly into his engine bay on the side of the highway.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I put a new intake manifold on my 99 Grand Marquis, cleaned all the injectors and got a check engine lite a few weeks back, code scanner says too lean but my mileage went down to like 16 in city , was getting around 20 and 25/27 on highway, thats down to 22 or so. Figure that one out.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I put a new intake manifold on my 99 Grand Marquis, cleaned all the injectors and got a check engine lite a few weeks back, code scanner says too lean but my mileage went down to like 16 in city , was getting around 20 and 25/27 on highway, thats down to 22 or so. Figure that one out.
How did you clean "all of the injectors"?

Vacuum leak?

What quality(or lack thereof) manifold did you get?

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
How did you clean "all of the injectors"?
Made an
Vacuum leak?

What quality(or lack thereof) manifold did you get?
Made an electric plug to energize them and sprayed gumout thru them, bought oem manifold, car runs fine, no vacum leaks I can detect

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Made an electric plug to energize them and sprayed gumout thru them, bought oem manifold, car runs fine, no vacum leaks I can detect
Did you spray through the fuel rail? I'm not familiar with that engine but I'm curious to learn more specifically about how you did it. Mine could use the attention.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
:58 close call eh'?

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Smart move bringing it in for the cupcake, desserts on vehicles have been know to be a booby trap.

Last edited:

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Did you spray through the fuel rail? I'm not familiar with that engine but I'm curious to learn more specifically about how you did it. Mine could use the attention.
I bought a plug that goes on to the injectors and I wired the injectors to the plug and energized the plug and sprayed carburetor cleaner through them for a couple seconds and then blew them out with air

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I bought a plug that goes on to the injectors and I wired the injectors to the plug and energized the plug and sprayed carburetor cleaner through them for a couple seconds and then blew them out with air
I don't know why it would be lean because I cleaned all the injectors if anything it would be too rich I would think

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I don't know why it would be lean because I cleaned all the injectors if anything it would be too rich I would think
I guess it is possible I could have a vacuum leak but then you would think the car would be running rough or running too high I did torque the manifold on the low side of the required torque though

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Anyone ever given thought to cutting out their catalytic converters as a means to increase gas mileage? I had one go bad years back old dodge van, failed inspection they told me the converters clogged, they were pretty pricey back then so I took the converter off and knocked out all the honeycomb inside and it passed inspection, back in Jersey they used to use mirrors to look under the car to make sure you had a convert on it.
I thought Id do that if/when it's time No inspection or emissions here.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Smart move bringing it in for the cupcake, desserts on vehicles have been know to be a booby trap.
How about all that Curry though?!

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Interesting, quirky, ultra rare(20 made)supercar from the 80's

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Forced into another repair today the wife's windshield washers quit working changed all the fuses by blow into the tank the water comes out the sprayer so I'm assuming the pump motor is bad AutoZone has them for I think 20 some bucks so I will go out tomorrow and pick one up

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Forced into another repair today the wife's windshield washers quit working changed all the fuses by blow into the tank the water comes out the sprayer so I'm assuming the pump motor is bad AutoZone has them for I think 20 some bucks so I will go out tomorrow and pick one up
I would directly apply 12volts & ground to the motor first.
Could always be the switch or wiring before buying a motor.

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Before you resort to that, maybe try Scotty's method for cleanig CATs?

Edited to add:
There are mixed reviews on his method. Some say it worked for them, others say it didn't. Probably comes down to what is actually wrong with the CAT, as some may be beyond repair.
....but if faced with cost of replacement, I fail to see how it could hurt to try it. If it works you'll save some money by not having to buy new ones.

OK, so far. Can of B-12 in fuel tank. Changed fuel filter, spark plugs, wires and coils. Cleaned and tested MAF (have a new one on way since still getting P0101). Rapped on both catalytic converters, one solid the other one rattles, sounds like pieces bouncing inside.

Car revs well, but when it returns to idle, rough and sounds like it wants to die. Accelerates ok to ~30 mph, then complete dog. It just seems it can’t go any faster.

Gonna order new Cats, cheap ones, and try to install myself, but may end up bringing it in if I have too my trouble with bolts (don’t want to break studs).

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
OK, so far. Can of B-12 in fuel tank. Changed fuel filter, spark plugs, wires and coils. Cleaned and tested MAF (have a new one on way since still getting P0101). Rapped on both catalytic converters, one solid the other one rattles, sounds like pieces bouncing inside.

Car revs well, but when it returns to idle, rough and sounds like it wants to die. Accelerates ok to ~30 mph, then complete dog. It just seems it can’t go any faster.

Gonna order new Cats, cheap ones, and try to install myself, but may end up bringing it in if I have too my trouble with bolts (don’t want to break studs).
On my 79 ford years ago, the honeycomb inside the (single) cat broke up & traveled down the exhaust pipe & clogged up in front of the muffler.
Would idle fine, but would dog down at speed due to back pressure.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Sounds like fuel pump is not keeping up with demand.

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Sounds like fuel pump is not keeping up with demand.

Ya, that is a fear. I wanted to do all the easy stuff first before having to change the fuel pump. And as I bought it used, not sure if the other stuff was ever done, so I figured it as a tune up anyway. I‘m gonna install a new fuel regulator, also test the fuel pressure. Last time I changed the fuel pump in a car, it taught me I’d never try do that again by myself. Big PITA and I broke a couple of plastic fittings. But I have seen videos where guys just cut out the floor above the fuel pump so you don’t have to drop the tank. I may try that. Too bad car manufacturers don’t make a panel there to begin with.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Ya, that is a fear. I wanted to do all the easy stuff first before having to change the fuel pump. And as I bought it used, not sure if the other stuff was ever done, so I figured it as a tune up anyway. I‘m gonna install a new fuel regulator, also test the fuel pressure. Last time I changed the fuel pump in a car, it taught me I’d never try do that again by myself. Big PITA and I broke a couple of plastic fittings. But I have seen videos where guys just cut out the floor above the fuel pump so you don’t have to drop the tank. I may try that. Too bad car manufacturers don’t make a panel there to begin with.

Several years ago probably five, I ended up cutting an access panel in the bed of my truck and then screwed down a metal sign atop. With 200,000 miles I was pretty sure it was still on the original fuel pump so I figured it would be going any day and sure enough 5 years later while on the highway went out on me. I ended up calling my friends who I was on the way to see and they picked up a fuel pump and stop by on the highway and we were able to swap it in and I was back on the road in no time. Faster than it would have taken a tow truck to get to me.

I know it has no use for suburban or Tahoe but food for thought