• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

5 Reasons Fixing Your Own Car Will Change Your Life

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
20211204_130636[2].jpg

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I did take the vehicle in to a Chevy dealer when I bought it used to check it out. They said the plugs were in good shape. I pulled one and it looks fine. I am leaning towards the CATs being the problem, might “replace” those next. As I said, I have been getting the P0420 for a while.
Hey viking, fuel pressure regulator came to mind

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Hey viking, fuel pressure regulator came to mind

Ya, checking pressure today and then installing a new regulator and checking it again after that.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score

Pressure was 44 psi with ignition on, 52psi at idle. New regulator it dropped down to 43psi at idle.

So I cut out hole in floor above pump and ordered a new one. TBC.

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
OK, cleaned injectors, got wrong fuel pump from Rock Auto, so went to local Napa to get the correct one. Installed it and pressure is still the same, 44psi.

Ran really poorly. Removed the front O2 sensor on suspected bad CAT side, and it ran much better. So I hoping replacing that will solve the problem, but still scratching my head as to why the fuel pressure is so low. Normal is suppose to be 58psi, with a range of 55-65psi.

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
OK, so lot of new parts installed. Finally runs great, ending up being what my initial hunch was, clogged CATs. But at least I have a complete tune up now.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
OK, so lot of new parts installed. Finally runs great, ending up being what my initial hunch was, clogged CATs. But at least I have a complete tune up now.
Thanks for the update. Now I realize that that is the next thing to attack on mine.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

RebelYell

Name no longer reflects my changed worldview.
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have to replace catalytic converter on my daughter's 2001 Subaru. Thought it was going to be expensive - but was able to get an EPA compliant one for $100. Cheapest CA compliant one was $800, or ~$500 if you can do your own cutting and welding (that's not my bag, baby).

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
$800, or ~$500 if you can do your own cutting and welding (that's not my bag, baby).
Don't make it more work than it needs to be.

Just cut it off with a hack saw and use hose clamps to mount the new one. Easy peasy!

Don't worry, it'll work great. @DodgebyDave told me that's how he does 'em all the time. Gets $300 apiece.

In fact, that's how he finally ended up fixing that car.
....and everyone reading knows exactly what car I am talking about.

RebelYell

Name no longer reflects my changed worldview.
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Just cut it off with a hack saw and use hose clamps to mount the new one. Easy peasy!

Don't worry, it'll work great. @DodgebyDave told me that's how he does 'em all the time. Gets $300 apiece.

In this case my $100 non-CA compliant part is already fitted so no labor required at all. I will keep this advice in mind for future reference though.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Here.

Wanna read my writing of a needy car? Needy brand of car...?

"Just Empty Every Pocket"

Original title: "Because it's NOT."

IN 1962, MY FATHER became the neighborhood’s first proud owner of The Miracle Car. Like many goods, The Miracle Car was somewhat overrated by admen, and this pinnacle of American Motors engineering hit the roads of America like the Titanic hit the iceberg. It disappeared almost as fast, but in its passing, the AMC Rambler Classic of that year left some lasting memories, likely toxic ones for the ill-fated company.

I was a tot of four, and already gifted with words and showing a talent for mimicry. This amused family and neighbors…most times. My father, alas, was a harried young chemist-turned-salesman, and with little sense of the needed discretion around young minds.
Two days after proudly purchasing The Miracle Car, my old man went out to the driveway with the idea of going to town for some need or other. He opened the driver’s door…and there it bound up. It would not close. No matter how hard he yanked.
He tugged. He yanked. He kicked. He swore. I watched…hey, this was getting good! You never knew when my daddy would say funny words or do funny things.​
Presently he stalked off in a rage to the gardening shed, to return with a mall and wedge. Jesus H. Christ,, if he had to rip that door off, he was gonna do it!​
In a white-hot temper, he fixed the wedge, and swung at it with a twelve-pound sledge…with predictable results. The wedge went flying; the sledgehammer misdirected and caught his ankle right on the bone. The tools and he went down in a crash, as profanity spilled from his mouth in blue streamers.​
And I was in stitches. Rolling with laughter, I kept repeating my father’s brilliancies at the moment of climax. This went on for some time, but age has mercifully allowed me to forget the ending of that little episode​
....​

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Here.

Wanna read my writing of a needy car? Needy brand of car...?

"Just Empty Every Pocket"

Original title: "Because it's NOT."

IN 1962, MY FATHER became the neighborhood’s first proud owner of The Miracle Car. Like many goods, The Miracle Car was somewhat overrated by admen, and this pinnacle of American Motors engineering hit the roads of America like the Titanic hit the iceberg. It disappeared almost as fast, but in its passing, the AMC Rambler Classic of that year left some lasting memories, likely toxic ones for the ill-fated company.

I was a tot of four, and already gifted with words and showing a talent for mimicry. This amused family and neighbors…most times. My father, alas, was a harried young chemist-turned-salesman, and with little sense of the needed discretion around young minds.
Two days after proudly purchasing The Miracle Car, my old man went out to the driveway with the idea of going to town for some need or other. He opened the driver’s door…and there it bound up. It would not close. No matter how hard he yanked.
He tugged. He yanked. He kicked. He swore. I watched…hey, this was getting good! You never knew when my daddy would say funny words or do funny things.​
Presently he stalked off in a rage to the gardening shed, to return with a mall and wedge. Jesus H. Christ,, if he had to rip that door off, he was gonna do it!​
In a white-hot temper, he fixed the wedge, and swung at it with a twelve-pound sledge…with predictable results. The wedge went flying; the sledgehammer misdirected and caught his ankle right on the bone. The tools and he went down in a crash, as profanity spilled from his mouth in blue streamers.​
And I was in stitches. Rolling with laughter, I kept repeating my father’s brilliancies at the moment of climax. This went on for some time, but age has mercifully allowed me to forget the ending of that little episode​

....​
Well illustrated. I could feel the tension and frustration to where I laughed at the flying wedge and cringed at the ankle shot. Left me wanting more.

Only critique:
"Presently he stalked off in a rage to the gardening shed, to return with a mall maul and wedge. Jesus H. Christ,, if he had to rip that door off, he was gonna do it!"

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Some people.....

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Check this one out @ around 30 sec

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Wow what a $400,000 POS

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score

Jerry........are you still mad about that ford truck you couldn't get started? All I did was route the plug wires correctly. 35 years is a long time to be butthurt about that.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I found out recently that one of my non-blood brothers started a youtube channel. Thought some of you gear heads might appreciate it.
This was the conclusion of him rebuilding a BMW E28 524td.

Au-myn

Goldbug
Founding Member
Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
What a fun day I am having. Started out driving to Simi Valley this a.m. around 8:30. My temp gauge got too high so I pulled off the first exit.
Blew an upper radiator hose. Called for Free towing from my Insurance and that took 20 minutes after all of the questions. An hour later I get a flatbed to haul us to my mechanic thirteen miles away. The first 15 miles are no charge so I dodged a bullet there. When we arrive the tow driver says, " hey, is this your cell phone on the trunk of your car?". "Uh...yes" I reply. Thought I left it inside my car. It was on the bottom edge of the rear window. The guy laughed and was amazed it did not move from the freeway drive.

I had both upper and lower hoses replaced, $194. They gave me extra coolant to add the next few days if required. Add to a cold engine from the overflow. Back home by 1:30 p.m. Turning on the A/C and unwinding...

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
What a fun day I am having. Started out driving to Simi Valley this a.m. around 8:30. My temp gauge got too high so I pulled off the first exit.
Blew an upper radiator hose. Called for Free towing from my Insurance and that took 20 minutes after all of the questions. An hour later I get a flatbed to haul us to my mechanic thirteen miles away. The first 15 miles are no charge so I dodged a bullet there. When we arrive the tow driver says, " hey, is this your cell phone on the trunk of your car?". "Uh...yes" I reply. Thought I left it inside my car. It was on the bottom edge of the rear window. The guy laughed and was amazed it did not move from the freeway drive.

I had both upper and lower hoses replaced, $194. They gave me extra coolant to add the next few days if required. Add to a cold engine from the overflow. Back home by 1:30 p.m. Turning on the A/C and unwinding...
15 miles?
This is why I still pony up for AAA mid tier coverage.
About once a year one of us is towed home.
Up to 100 miles is free.
At today's tow rates, I figure I'm breaking even at the worst.

Au-myn

Goldbug
Founding Member
Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
My coverage is 6 month renewals with Mercury. I had a dead battery last month and they came out and jumped me at no cost.
My Policy covers a maximum 5 occurrences in total for Towing and Non-Towing services per policy period. My cost 4 fiats.

Works for me.

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Before cell phones.
Thirty plus years ago we went to an scca race in California...left the house at 5:30am
Took the girlfriends car (Chevy celebrity) always been a good car...
Made the hour trip to the track.
When we left we drove to the next town for dinner about 30 minutes in the other direction.
We left an hour before everyone else was going to leave the track.
Quick meal and back on the road we passed the racetrack and the car started to overheat.
Pulled off checked it out, didn't see anything suspicious.
Tipped the water off, Hopped back in rolled the windows down and turned on the heater vents pointing out the the sides of the car.
We made it another 15 miles just short of the off ramp stopped across from the CHP that had pulled someone else over on the other side of the freeway.
Popped the hood, it was hotter then before and puked the water out.
Hood up the CHP finally headed over and gave us a ride back into Yuma 35 miles away.
Most excellent, I called everyone and only one person answer that could help.
Got back to my house, called everyone I knew who might have a car trailer to borrow.
4 hours later found one from a friend of a friend...grabbed my truck and headed out with my friend following in his car.
Got to the broken down car and only had in car ramp...WTF.
We backtracked 30 miles to the next exit and keept an eye out for a trailer ramp while my friend went back to my house to get my cheap ramps.
By this time it was 10pm dark and we waited on the side of the road for my friend to get back to the broken car.
He woke us up when he got there and we loaded the car.
Got home at 1am, said thanks for the help and went to bed.
Next day had to have a ramp made for the trailer that I borrowed ( it was the right thing to do)
The welder made two ramps when I only really want one, but again paid up for both.
The car turned out to be a stuck thermostat (maybe) and it took out the head gasket.
Timing is everything...
I pulled the head, had it machined, new gaskets and fixed the girlfriends car.

Shortly after I bought a used car hauler trailer for $900.
I've gotten my money's worth from the trailer over the years and it's been loaned out to friends more times then I can count...it's honestly been to more states that I have.