• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

5 Reasons Fixing Your Own Car Will Change Your Life

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I enjoy repairing buildings but when it comes to motorized anything, I suck. I lack the tools and space to be doing my own fixing. Driveway is on a hill. And I can only break stuff with my sawzall. Nail gun doesn't work too well putting things together on vehicles.
Reminds me of the times my u-joint grenaded on the truck. Puled it into a parking lot and got a ride home. Went back at night with some tools and had to fight to get the driveshaft free do to it being hung up on the u-joint carnage. I finally got it broke free and proceeded to stop the rolling truck with my ribcage and a 2x4. Lesson learned that a tranny in park and no ebrake means a rolling truck when drive shaft removed. A durr!

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Since you mentioned prop planes...and I got this off of U-BooBs….K, tke the super glue and lay it on but not too thick and when you have that stuff on then apply the calcium carbonate aka Baking Soda. Let it sit and then brush it off and re apply till crack is ready to be sanded down.

this is how they fix chips in propellers. just one of the many things that gets run out on u-BooBs while sleeping and then ya wakes up.

watch it urself if U think I am full of bullshit....
Nice, BUT, We did that 20 years before super glue ! :holding hands:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
sometimes the stored codes are dumped when a disconnect happens. On those early rangers I used to disconnect then plug back in and cycle the key on and off three times. Never fixed what was the problem though. What I came away for that stuff was those pesky sensors that fed the brain were also controlled by those pesky relays. good luck figuring it out. BUT, read what follows....

if you think it is a relay then get yourself two lines with clips on both ends. put one clip on the positive post and one on the negative. find which leads on the relay that make it click/engage. the other two is/are the ones you check for continuity, meaning they connect when made to. Some of these things click and a guy would think they are working and they are in that respeck that they energize the magnet but some times the plates that allow what is supposed to happen are burnt and is the continuity does not go through then you need another relay...fresh relay.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Since you mentioned prop planes...and I got this off of U-BooBs….K, tke the super glue and lay it on but not too thick and when you have that stuff on then apply the calcium carbonate aka Baking Soda. Let it sit and then brush it off and re apply till crack is ready to be sanded down.

this is how they fix chips in propellers. just one of the many things that gets run out on u-BooBs while sleeping and then ya wakes up.

watch it urself if U think I am full of bullshit....
Same repair luthiers use to repair bridges/nuts on guitarahs. Basically synthetic bone.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
sometimes the stored codes are dumped when a disconnect happens. On those early rangers I used to disconnect then plug back in and cycle the key on and off three times. Never fixed what was the problem though. What I came away for that stuff was those pesky sensors that fed the brain were also controlled by those pesky relays. good luck figuring it out. BUT, read what follows....

if you think it is a relay then get yourself two lines with clips on both ends. put one clip on the positive post and one on the negative. find which leads on the relay that make it click/engage. the other two is/are the ones you check for continuity, meaning they connect when made to. Some of these things click and a guy would think they are working and they are in that respeck that they energize the magnet but some times the plates that allow what is supposed to happen are burnt and is the continuity does not go through then you need another relay...fresh relay.

That reminded me that in many(some?) cars you can pull codes without a scan tool. It'll flash the code with the CEL.

Another tidbit is that there's a trick to figuring out which side a gastank fill is on in a car (for instance a borrowed, rented, stolen rig). But not ALL cars are this way, but usually it'll have a little arrow or in some cases a gas nozzle on the icon which according to which side the nozzle is on the icon corresponds to the side the tank fill is on.
1546727567928.png
<---This means the fill is on the drivers side

1546727679887.png
<-----This would be a passenger side fill cap.

I have been in one car where this wasn't the case. Crappy poo!

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reminds me of the times my u-joint grenaded on the truck. Puled it into a parking lot and got a ride home. Went back at night with some tools and had to fight to get the driveshaft free do to it being hung up on the u-joint carnage. I finally got it broke free and proceeded to stop the rolling truck with my ribcage and a 2x4. Lesson learned that a tranny in park and no ebrake means a rolling truck when drive shaft removed. A durr!
I can claim that I did some fixing. Swapped out a starter in my Ford pick in a parking lot with two broken fingers. That was easy to get to from underneath.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Yeah, rentals and their fuel doors. After midnight just pulling off of Martin Luther King Boulevard, doesn't matter where, they are all the same, couldn't find a pull latch for the gas door. After going through the owners manual found it just takes a push on the door to have it pop open.
There is a guy that frequents a yoga retreat around here that always asks people to pump the gas for him at a self service station. Am told he does it every time.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Yeah, rentals and their fuel doors. After midnight just pulling off of Martin Luther King Boulevard, doesn't matter where, they are all the same, couldn't find a pull latch for the gas door. After going through the owners manual found it just takes a push on the door to have it pop open.
There is a guy that frequents a yoga retreat around here that always asks people to pump the gas for him at a self service station. Am told he does it every time.
Funny, there's an MLK here in Fayetteville. I bet they are all the same. : )

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I pumped gas at a service station in my late teens. Was actually a good job. Wish i wasn't drunk or stoned 24/7. Could have learned a lot.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I pumped gas at a service station in my late teens. Was actually a good job. Wish i wasn't drunk or stoned 24/7. Could have learned a lot.
lol WTH would you have learned?
PS I like the new avatard.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
lol WTH would you have learned?
PS I like the new avatard.
It was a service station in the sense that the owner did repairs. I did get familiar with the tire machine and changed a few oils. One thing I found surprising was that only the Cubans would tip me. No other people would do such a thing. This was in south west Floriduh.

One day as I am resting the elbows on a pair of pumps, a girl pulls up and asks if we sold gas? Should have gotten her number.

techguy2

Meh
Gold Chaser
2 weeks ago, stealership told me I needed new rear disk brakes, quoted price $430 for the rear only. I told them to go pound sand.

1 hr in the garage with $55 autozone ceramics, and done. No warpage on the rotors, no scoring, no turning required, just a simple remove and replace. I will admit that the stupid brake retainer clips are a total PIA, but still done.

First repair I had done in a while, as I normally pay, but I refused to be butt raped on this one. I'll be doing a lot more from here on out, I had just gotten lazy.

stoli

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
My second car was a $200 1970ish Mercury Capri. Drove it home with a slipping clutch and a broken drivers seat that reclined all the way down to the back seat.
I wedged a block of wood in the seat to keep the back up so i could drive the piece of shit.
The McPherson struts in the front were so worn, they would get stuck in the up position if i hit a good pothole. Really sucked at night with your headlights pointing up in the trees.
It was winter when i bought this pos. So here i am freezing my balls off trying to pull out the tranny in my dads driveway to replace the worn clutch. I was under that junk of a car for hours twisting and rockin
that tranny to no avail. I couldn't get it to release from the engine.
I finally called it quits. Laying on my back with the trans inches above my chest i used my frozen hands to push myself out from under the car.
I made the mistake of sliding my head under the tranny while pushing against it and......out it came bouncing off my forhead. Lucky my face wasn't under it. I walked into the house , blood running down my face.
My father looked at the gash in my forhead and said .. i can take you to get stitches .....probrobly end up with a scar or ill just tape it up.
We went with the tape.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
My second car was a $200 1970ish Mercury Capri. Drove it home with a slipping clutch and a broken drivers seat that reclined all the way down to the back seat.
I wedged a block of wood in the seat to keep the back up so i could drive the piece of shit.
The McPherson struts in the front were so worn, they would get stuck in the up position if i hit a good pothole. Really sucked at night with your headlights pointing up in the trees.
It was winter when i bought this pos. So here i am freezing my balls off trying to pull out the tranny in my dads driveway to replace the worn clutch. I was under that junk of a car for hours twisting and rockin
that tranny to no avail. I couldn't get it to release from the engine.
I finally called it quits. Laying on my back with the trans inches above my chest i used my frozen hands to push myself out from under the car.
I made the mistake of sliding my head under the tranny while pushing against it and......out it came bouncing off my forhead. Lucky my face wasn't under it. I walked into the house , blood running down my face.
My father looked at the gash in my forhead and said .. i can take you to get stitches .....probrobly end up with a scar or ill just tape it up.
We went with the tape.
Funny, my 2nd car was a Carpi too. I paid $500 and totaled it into a parked car like a good teenager.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Had a belt whip an AC line in half on a Horolla. Replaced the hose and charged, no workie. Replaced the pump, no workie. Took to a local mechanic no workie. took to the dealership... There is some kind of diaphram that fractures when the system looses charge it's in the condenser which is in the dash which cost north of $1000 to fix.

BASTARDS!

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Had a 1970 Cougar XR-7, Winsor, had to unbolt the motor mounts & lift the engine a couple of inches, to get to the rear spark plugs !!!.
Had a 1966 Chevy 396, had to R&R the engine to replace a freeze plug, replacement was brass, along with all the others !
Fucking engineers probably were laughing when they designed this shit !
Now my 2017 Ford Edge has the battery up against the firewall, ya can't even see it ! :rage 1

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Actually, some people should not do their own maintenance or repairs on their vehicles.

Used to work in an automotive section, in a Kmart store. Had women stop in to buy items for their cars. One wanted spark plugs. Asked her
what type of car is it. "Its a yellow car". Anything else you could tell me about this car? "It has four doors". Gave advise that they have their boyfriend/dad/brother do the shopping for their auto parts.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Hummmm...
I've been needin to replace my glow plugs and my injectors in my Powerstroke 7.2

maybe this summer...
My next trick after the radiator will be to swap out the old spider poppit injector system for the updated MPFI spider thingy. It looks complicated but mostly time consuming even for someone who knows what he is doing. Aaaaand I don't. . .
aroll.gif

It's doable though as long as I keep calm and don't break anything.

It's a thousand dollar job if I bring it in, all for a $150 part.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
AND, and I just put the older than Ginsburg thingy up in the air chasing the rumble. "The Rumble" aka this rumble is very oh dare I say...*faints.*

I can't figure it out as I mean this thing has 300K miles on it and it still gets 30mph. So like ruthie I am going to keep this thing going.

So I am at my wits ends yesterday and this has to do with the mechanical poop, as in does this do this and that do that stuff.....AND I am drawing blanks.... "It seems that every day the 'rumble' gets more noticeable."

And, I found it....RUTHIE gets to live....as the ruthiemobile has 300K on it I had purchased wheels and jonties...TIRES..*sorry tried my best mesican language* out of the junk yard as the wheels with 300K were cracked and ready to give death to those that rode. SO while I had the RUTHIE up in the air I checked out the undercarriage and 'NO, nothing had jumped up in there,' but I did a check while the casings were rotating. "I SPIED,"while gauging the rotation of these casings against the fixed position of the struts that were hanging, that the rubber was round and dropped a half inch and then went round again.

Yess baby dolls BOTH rear tires of RUTHIE had separated....kind of strange that both would do the same....BUT, as the 'rumble' was increasing by 'like a lot' and all the grease was devoid of milk of metal disinigration... It is apparent that just slap some new rubber on that bitch and it could get another 100K or better.

And, yes I know I am brain dead but the parody of the Vulture and this 95subaru is one I could not pass up...though I could pass gass on it.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I can't figure it out as I mean this thing has 300K miles on it and it still gets 30mph. So like ruthie I am going to keep this thing going.
You can't kill a Subaru !

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
I do what I can but don't have power tools which are essential on many jobs. I had a badly leaking valve cover gasket, cam cover, etc. which was beyond my ability on my late 90s Subaru; my brother's mechanic did that, the exhaust welding, two coolant hoses for $300 plus parts! I got virtually new 15' tires at Town Fair for $200 plus mounting and balancing. I should be good to go now. Join the car site forum for your car, there are several for Subarus.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
I always find that the toughest part of the job.
Yep. I got a tip on here a while back, might have been Hoarder? I forget. Anyway you make your own nut and bolt penetrating oil stuff that works 10X better than WD 40, liquid wrench or even PB Blaster by mixing ATF and pure acetone 50/50 and squirting it on with an old style pump oil can.

You have to shake it up every time right before you use it but holy cats man does that stuff work! Dirt cheap to make too.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Fixing anything for oneself is rewarding both financially and mentally. I drive old stuff just cause I can fix upon them and I have watched my younguns learn and teach at the same time. Sure comes in handy when you blow a motor on a sprayer that would cost North of $20,000 to change at a stealership but do it yourself from the junk pile it only cost like a 24 of pilsner. That and we don't need to wait for parts or mechanics. A person needs a decent junkyard out back but that in itself is fun to find.

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Extreme "remodel" of a new car !
IMG_0871.JPG

D2017 EDGE TOAD DATA PHOTOS 008 (Medium).JPG

newmisty