• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

5 Reasons Fixing Your Own Car Will Change Your Life

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Scotty explains why so many of us who USED to work in the American auto supply industry hate General Motors.
Actually, old Scotty is pretty mild but he gets the point across.

Personally I f*cking hate GM post 2005 and wouldn't bother pissing on one if I saw it was on fire. They never should have been bailed out and should have been either scrapped or allowed to reorganize under bankruptcy. Instead the very people who's lives they destroyed and tens of millions of others got to pay for their failure and allowed them to turn around and fuck us all again. Thanks hussein.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Put a new gas tank & fuel pump assembly in the old girl Friday and all of Saturday. This is a difficult job if you don't have a lift. Hell I bet it ain't no picnic with a lift! For me it was crawling around on the floor and working upside down most of the time while removing heavy pieces of the vehicle.
I made a big wood block by screwing 4x4 's together, then screwing a chunk of 2x10 on top of that to make a platform and then securing that to a floor jack to make a tank jack. Worked pretty good.

Taking it out was the worst. Even though I pumped almost all the gas out of it there was still a quart or so sloshing around in there. So with disconnecting fuel lines and fumes coming from the old tank I couldn't use anything that would make a spark or my heater and it was cold as feck in the garage. Blowing up didn't sound like a good way to spend the weekend. Aaaaand everything was rusty of course!

I still need to change out my radiator but hell that will be easy after this. I have had the tank for a couple weeks, but I was afraid of it.

Got it done though, everything is working great!

:meditation:

rs11.jpg
rs222.jpg

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Taking it out was the worst. Even though I pumped almost all the gas out of it there was still a quart or so sloshing around in there. So with disconnecting fuel lines and fumes coming from the old tank I couldn't use anything that would make a spark or my heater and it was cold as feck in the garage. Blowing up didn't sound like a good way to spend the weekend. Aaaaand everything was rusty of course!
Irons, next time (of course we hope there is no "next time") get some dry ice & put it in the tank, wait until the cloud starts coming out & you are good to go !
It's an old welders trick.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Personally I f*cking hate GM post 2005 and wouldn't bother pissing on one if I saw it was on fire.
Add the FUCKING 2017 ford edge to that comment ! What a total POS !!! :totally steamed:

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I'm glad to see so many here at least try to fix there own wheels. I can't imagine what it's like to not be a mechanic. I've been taking things apart and PUTTING THEM BACK TOGETHER for as long as I can remember. It's not bragging when I say I can fix anything from this
1547404801052.png
to this
1547404868104.png

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Irons, next time (of course we hope there is no "next time") get some dry ice & put it in the tank, wait until the cloud starts coming out & you are good to go !
It's an old welders trick.
A CO2 fire extinguisher, empty it into the tank. Another welder trick.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I can't imagine what it's like to not be a mechanic.
Does my garage give you a hint at what I do ? Hint: watches/time pieces, are beyond my expertise ! :holding hands:

28  MAR 2006   008 (Medium).jpg

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Does my garage give you a hint at what I do ? Hint: watches/time pieces, are beyond my expertise ! :holding hands:

View attachment 122206
Let me guess, you have Machinist tendencies! You can fix a watch, they're just tiny manual transmissions.
Your shop is MUCH cleaner than mine. It would take me an hour to get my mill running, my lathe says somewhat less cluttered(it gets used more).
P1090959.JPG
P1090961.JPG

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Let me guess, you have Machinist tendencies! You can fix a watch, they're just tiny manual transmissions.
Your shop is MUCH cleaner than mine. It would take me an hour to get my mill running, my lathe says somewhat less cluttered(it gets used more). View attachment 122207 View attachment 122208
I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My shop looks like that now. I also do wood projects & today, I need to go out & clean my shop so I can make 18 feet of shelving for an old friend. I'll post photos later.

BTW, this is a clean shop. But it had to be, for safety & profit. We cleaned up at the end of every day.

L M I   HISTORY_0004.jpg

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
WOW!!! When I worked for Tampa Ship Repair the machine shop had a dirt floor. There were chips left over from WW2 in the corners...

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
WOW!!! When I worked for Tampa Ship Repair the machine shop had a dirt floor. There were chips left over from WW2 in the corners...
A clean shop keeps OSHA away & worker comp rates low & promotes a good employee attitude.

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
A clean shop keeps OSHA away & worker comp rates low & promotes a good employee attitude.
I've seen more than one new hire machinist walk in the front of the shop, then turn around and leave, never to be seen again, wimps. I remember OSHA coming to Tampa Ship. They'd go in the front office and come out later with a brief case, get in the car and leave. It's probably different now...

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
I changed my radiator, coolant and hoses today. Er..... I mean yesterday and today. The gas tank switch out was a big job that had it's problems but nothing really unexpected.

Now the radiator should have been fairly easy except Everything I put a wrench on either broke or would not come loose. Fecking oil cooler lines stuck in the old radiator. No problem I'll get new oil lines they are probably leaking anyway. Then the drain plug would not come loose from the old radiator and the hose wouldn't come loose from the water pump. So I cut it off and the following river of coolant totally missed the 3 big drain pans I had spread out on a large piece of cardboard and just hosed down the entire fecking floor.

The oil lines I needed were sold out damn near everywhere, nobody had the damn jiffy fittings for the new radiator so I ended up having to hit 3 different parts stores to get the 3 parts I needed.

But it's done and everything seems to be working fine. I wanted to get all this stuff done now because for the next month or so it's going to be really freaking cold. So for now life is good!

michael59

heads up-butts down
Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
stupid all4wheel drive Subaru...darn found out there were no mechanical prob-lem-oh's sept two back tires decided to get tandem in separation.....meaning the critter was or had all fours in the air and only the back tires were dropping a half inch according to the struts.

Its been like three days and I still have not switched to a matched set of four and I even have purchased a lil bucket of wheel weights. Its not like I can't like even evers. I just want the chance to change my life....sorry was going after the PO aka ttle...title or tittles...twatevers...

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I changed my radiator, coolant and hoses today. Er..... I mean yesterday and today. The gas tank switch out was a big job that had it's problems but nothing really unexpected.

Now the radiator should have been fairly easy except Everything I put a wrench on either broke or would not come loose. Fecking oil cooler lines stuck in the old radiator. No problem I'll get new oil lines they are probably leaking anyway. Then the drain plug would not come loose from the old radiator and the hose wouldn't come loose from the water pump. So I cut it off and the following river of coolant totally missed the 3 big drain pans I had spread out on a large piece of cardboard and just hosed down the entire fecking floor.

The oil lines I needed were sold out damn near everywhere, nobody had the damn jiffy fittings for the new radiator so I ended up having to hit 3 different parts stores to get the 3 parts I needed.

But it's done and everything seems to be working fine. I wanted to get all this stuff done now because for the next month or so it's going to be really freaking cold. So for now life is good!

Sounds just as bad as plumbing. Oh, wait. It is plumbing.

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
Scotty explains why so many of us who USED to work in the American auto supply industry hate General Motors.
Actually, old Scotty is pretty mild but he gets the point across.

Personally I f*cking hate GM post 2005 and wouldn't bother pissing on one if I saw it was on fire. They never should have been bailed out and should have been either scrapped or allowed to reorganize under bankruptcy. Instead the very people who's lives they destroyed and tens of millions of others got to pay for their failure and allowed them to turn around and fuck us all again. Thanks hussein.

Never heard that before, but makes some sense. Brother got a Chevy pickup with standard tranny due to a relative who died of alcoholism. What a pos to drive.

I had an 84 GM pickup that went for quite a while as a work truck. Next was an 89 K 3/4 ton, great high low auto tranny.

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
My Subaru started up in a grocery parking lot yesterday as I was driving toward the main road I lost power fairly quickly. I figured the timing belt broke. I was hoping low RPMs meant the engine wasn't damaged as can happen. I had it towed to my mechanic who got to it today. Different verdict; the fuel pump had died. Fast efficient replacement with a used unit, $225. What would be the tell-tale difference between the two failures, timing belt vs. fuel pump?

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
My Subaru started up in a grocery parking lot yesterday as I was driving toward the main road I lost power fairly quickly. I figured the timing belt broke. I was hoping low RPMs meant the engine wasn't damaged as can happen. I had it towed to my mechanic who got to it today. Different verdict; the fuel pump had died. Fast efficient replacement with a used unit, $225. What would be the tell-tale difference between the two failures, timing belt vs. fuel pump?
You really don't want to break a belt. If you engine is an interference engine you'll be buying a head job too! (get your mind out of the gutter)

michael59

heads up-butts down
Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
I kind of have to laugh, like at myself. I like working on shit so much I forget to work on my own. Hence I hav't done my tires yet. does that mean when I do my life will change again?

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
What are you repairing? Don't say its a burned out headlamp.
OK, you asked.

I added a tow bar bracket, an air brake hose connection & air brake actuator and cabling for lights (tail, signal & brakes) & a battery cut-off switch. Now I can tow it behind my motorhome.

The manufacturer of the bracket screwed up big time. They sent me their engineering drawing so I could modify their bracket to fit as designed. Luckily I have a full size mill.

This is elongating the mounting hole.

opening up the mtg hole.JPG

Now that their bracket crap is fixed, on to installation. This is the finished installation of the battery cut-off switch & air brake cylinder.

1 Towel to catch parts.jpg

I had to fabricate several brackets to mount the hardware.
6 Upper bracket.jpg

4 Battery switch bracket in place.jpg

5 Bracket for lower end of cylinder.jpg

Everything, except the front clip. is finally in place & functional.

D2017 EDGE TOAD DATA PHOTOS 008 (Medium).JPG

Above photo also shows the brackets for the safety chain hook-up. If you look hard !

End product. Our local Ford dealer gave me great kudos for the work, said it was cleaner than what they do.
I had to carefully cut out the grill to accept the new parts
Black on black did not photo as good as I thought it would.

D2017 EDGE TOAD DATA PHOTOS 019 (Large).JPG

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
OK, you asked.

I added a tow bar bracket, an air brake hose connection & air brake actuator and cabling for lights (tail, signal & brakes) & a battery cut-off switch. Now I can tow it behind my motorhome.

The manufacturer of the bracket screwed up big time. They sent me their engineering drawing so I could modify their bracket to fit as designed. Luckily I have a full size mill.

This is elongating the mounting hole.

View attachment 122386

Now that their bracket crap is fixed, on to installation. This is the finished installation of the battery cut-off switch & air brake cylinder.

View attachment 122388

I had to fabricate several brackets to mount the hardware.
View attachment 122389

View attachment 122391

View attachment 122392

Everything, except the front clip. is finally in place & functional.

View attachment 122387
Above photo also shows the brackets for the safety chain hook-up. If you look hard !

End product. Our local Ford dealer gave me great kudos for the work, said it was cleaner than what they do.
I had to carefully cut out the grill to accept the new parts
Black on black did not photo as good as I thought it would.

View attachment 122393
Very nice.

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
But Taezzar, not so long ago a Forester had the same treatment, IIRC?

Why replace the Schooby with a From Our Reject Department?

Golden Regards
Uncle

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
But Taezzar, not so long ago a Forester had the same treatment, IIRC?

Why replace the Schooby with a From Our Reject Department?

Golden Regards
Uncle
Great memory Uncle. Yes I did the Forester 2 years back. Subaru's must be a stick shift for towing behind a M/H & Mrs. T got tired of shifting. She is a small Asian & her legs were not long enough to work the clutch happily. Gotta keep the Mrs. happy. My son needed a better car & made me an offer. Everyone won !! :2 thumbs up:

And, yes, the Subaru is a far better car than a Found On Road Dead !!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Serendipitously came across this a couple days ago.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Scotty talks motor oil. Funny thing the house brand oil around here, walmart or meijer brand is all made by Warren Distributing. Matter of fact the oil in many colored jugs no matter what name is on it is made by Warren too, and it's all the same oil! whistle:
I wait for a sale and then stock up on 10w-30 for my truck and 5w-20 for my car. I don't care which store it comes from!
Oil filters though I get at Menards. They have Bosch Premium filters for $5

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Scotty talks motor oil. Funny thing the house brand oil around here, walmart or meijer brand is all made by Warren Distributing. Matter of fact the oil in many colored jugs no matter what name is on it is made by Warren too, and it's all the same oil! whistle:
I wait for a sale and then stock up on 10w-30 for my truck and 5w-20 for my car. I don't care which store it comes from!
Oil filters though I get at Menards. They have Bosch Premium filters for $5

Watched that this AM. Always glean something from his vids. There's lots of little tips and tricks scattered in his multitude of vids.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Motor earl is motor earl

Wasn't always that way.

Prolong works. I ran the dyno.

The hose for a Nissan is the same hose as used on a 70 340 6pck cuda/chally

What else.

I like big butts and I cannot lie

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Motor earl is motor earl

Wasn't always that way.

Prolong works. I ran the dyno.

The hose for a Nissan is the same hose as used on a 70 340 6pck cuda/chally

What else.

I like big butts and I cannot lie
Another one I like is Formula Shell @ Menards. Good oil and cheap if you catch it on sale there.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
If you somehow manage to nod off watching one of Scotty's videos, he'll wake ya up at the end when he rings that bell! whistle:
It's ok Lt, everyone's engine stalls once in a while. :D

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Started recently buying my earl @ Home Cheapo - has 5qts of Shell for around $13. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Formula...la-Conventional-Motor-Oil-550045245/300711399
Yep, that's the stuff! Comes out damn near as clean as it went in after 6,000 miles in my old 4.3 S10, amazing with 189,000 on the girl.
I pulled my transmission pan 15,000 miles ago and it was really really clean too. I changed the filter and shift solenoids while I was in there.
My engine and transmission being in such good shape is the reason I'm fixing the rest of it.

.:dog: