• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

5 Reasons Fixing Your Own Car Will Change Your Life

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Oh yeah, how could i forget. Currently truck "BOUNCES" down the road. LOL! Shocks!
Been there! I have already done most of the things on your list and I have a new body box-doors-fenders-cab corners-rockers sitting in my garage waiting for spring. I have a guy who is going to do the bodywork and paint for cash and I'm the first one on the list once it warms up enough to paint.

My best advice is shop around for parts Autozone, advance auto, oreileys, amazon ebay and rock auto. I have used all of these sources buying parts. Many times one was way cheaper than another source for the same part.

Here is the gas tank assembly link, so far I'm impressed! I researched Spectra premium and I liked what I saw. All their stuff is made in Canada and has excellent reviews. They are probably the best aftermarket fuel tanks and radiators. I got a Spectra radiator too, that came from rockauto.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NBT8BY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got really lucky on body parts. Somebody drove a beautifully rust free 2000 GMC Sonoma to my neck of the woods from Tennessee and promptly blew the engine. I got the box and both doors, they are perfect!
You can see the box in my gas tank replacement picture from January.

rs11.jpg

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
My 98 4.3 may need this. Truck has only 50 thousand miles. Yes , thats right. Problem: used around salt and salt water. Back end rusted pretty good. Spring time job: remove bed, replace busted leaf, shackles, fuel lines, fuel pump, rear cab mount brackets and whatever rears its ugly head. Hopefully i can hold out awhile before the spider. But so geatful for your post, Thank You!
Lots of vids on playing with spiders!

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Cheap car cover for my Ford Focus from Amazon, $18 shipped. Why didn't I buy one of these years ago? . .
good.gif
winner3.gif

Ice and snow slides off, freezing rain peels off and your car stays clean underneath, and it's camo so it scares city people.

If it only lasts one season who cares? I'll get another one when this one wears out.

katiecover.JPG

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Changing shocks on my 99 marquis, did the two front ones sat, tightened lower bolts on drivers side and the frame they go into stripped out, luckily had two stainless ones in my shit ill never use but hat to throw away pile, drillled out the old holes and put nuts bolts and lock washers on it, a bit testy working thru the coil springs, lube the crap out of other side first so it wouldnt happen again. Started the rear yesterday but kept getting dizzy laying down, either the ear crystals acting up again or the old low blood pressure. Either going to have to spend a few days doing it or take it to garage, dang top bolt on those rears is way in there and hard to get

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Cheap car cover for my Ford Focus from Amazon, $18 shipped. Why didn't I buy one of these years ago? . . View attachment 124343 View attachment 124342
Ice and snow slides off, freezing rain peels off and your car stays clean underneath, and it's camo so it scares city people.

If it only lasts one season who cares? I'll get another one when this one wears out.

View attachment 124344
Are you not afraid of rubbing when the wind blows? Up here in our open spaces a tarp is constantly moving and scuff's the [L] outta stuff.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
but kept getting dizzy laying down,
One of the reasons I have trouble trying to work under a car/van/truck, get real dizzy under there, think I'm gonna pass out or just die. Have to hire stuff done used to do myself.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Are you not afraid of rubbing when the wind blows? Up here in our open spaces a tarp is constantly moving and scuff's the [L] outta stuff.
There are straps on the front and back that go under the car, you click them together and pull them tight. The sides flap a little but not too much.
It made it through 3 pretty good windy storms and never ripped or came loose. I figured it was a goner during the last one but no problem!
Now that I think about it a strap or 2 in the center of the car, just pulled around and tied or hooked would stop all the flapping if you knew a storm was coming.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Why does the dealer usually screw cars up instead of fixing them? Why is a simple repair so freaking expensive?

Excellent, excellent video from an honest mechanic. This is also why I love my old 2000 S10!

AgAuGal

Founding Member
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
I just replaced the trunk lifts on my 2010 Ford Taurus after the trunk nearly took my head off (these fail slowly then really fast which IS painful). Grateful for utube and amazon(yes sometimes I like amazon) cause saved me $$$.

RealJack

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I'll be replacing the front struts on my 99 Tacoma as soon as the parts arrive. The shocks started leaking oil after 185,000 miles.
Took it to get an estimate to have it done. Yikes! No thanks. I'll do it myself.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
I'll be replacing the front struts on my 99 Tacoma as soon as the parts arrive. The shocks started leaking oil after 185,000 miles.
Took it to get an estimate to have it done. Yikes! No thanks. I'll do it myself.
This tool saved my ass several times changing things like shocks! I know some folks rip on these HF impacts but I agree with the guy in the video.
I got mine with a coupon for $40 and it came with a spare set of brushes in the box. Paid for it's self many times over.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
What kinda torque does it have? Buddy has a 1/2 inch Milwaukee[sp] that is un frickin believable. I've seen it twist the long bolts on a haybine like nothing that I've also seen two big Hutterites almost crying doing it with hand tools.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
What kinda torque does it have? Buddy has a 1/2 inch Milwaukee[sp] that is un frickin believable. I've seen it twist the long bolts on a haybine like nothing that I've also seen two big Hutterites almost crying doing it with hand tools.
It says 230 ft lbs, I doubt it's in the range of a milwaukee or dewalt electric, but it's also 1/4 the price. It might be though, I betcha somebody on youtube tested it against the big names.
I use a short fat extension cord so it has plenty of juice and it's never failed to get shit loose for me. Sometime this spring I am going to change the CV Axles on my truck and that will be a good test. My CV's are original and they have a big 35 or 36 mm nut holding them on.
If it breaks them feckers loose it can retire to Florida and never work again for all I'll care!.

.:finished:

Last edited:

RealJack

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
You're right, breaking those bolts loose is 99% of the job.
I mentioned needing struts to my neighbor, Ray, last week and the other day he comes over and says, " you get the parts yet?
I've got all the tools we'll ever need to get the job done." He does too. He was a Snap-On tool salesman for years. Total gear head.
I guess I'm a lucky guy. I didn't even have to ask him, which is good cuz I wouldn't have.
I'm gonna watch his pets for a few days while he and his wife take a short vacation, and soon as he gets back we'll tackle the struts.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Ha, just got this in my email.........................

If'n I could get that up here at that price, after your endorsement, I'd probably buy three. Maybe 4 as the wife could use it to put dumb shit together too.

stoli

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Being stubborn and not too bright I figure I'll spend the rest of my life happily stuck at the turn of last century when it comes to 4 wheel drive vehicles. When this truck wears out I can get another one from a rust free state and use my current truck for parts.
Thats exactly what I've been doing most of my life. I bought a 89 chevy pickup in 92. Drove it till 2003 , the frame rotted and would not pass inspection. Picked up a 88 and used my 89 for parts till about 2015 and retired my 88 due to rot. Scored a 92 and kept the 88 for parts.
Think I might only need one more before I take that long dirt nap.
20190221_222503.jpg
20190221_222543.jpg

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Dang them are new. I'm still running a few 80-86 Fords and have another 15+ for parts. Kid just called saying he found an 83 for $500 and now he will be bringing it out too. Also got a few 95s but I like the carbs better. Old fart up at a town 1 and a bit hours away who runs a salvage yard calls me when he gets one in with good parts just cause he likes to see them run some more.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
If'n I could get that up here at that price, after your endorsement, I'd probably buy three. Maybe 4 as the wife could use it to put dumb shit together too.
You can get them on ebay Canada but they cost more, and it looks like they are being shipped from the US so there would be steep shipping costs on top of that. So you are right up there price wise with just getting a big name tool from your local big box.

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=chicago+electric+impact+wrench&_sop=15

Harbor Freight stores are fun because everything they sell is cheap and some of it is real junk. But some of their stuff is really good too.
Like their Pittsburgh ratcheting wrenches are pretty weak, their screwdrivers are weak, but Pittsburgh sockets, extensions etc are bulletproof.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Princess auto would be our Harbor freight then. They sell a brand called power fist and if you buy some for them one use deals, I swear you can here them crack in the bag on your way home.LOL

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
This is the people's automotive channel! The most honest and funniest car channel on YouTube. Never any sponsored content, just the truth about everything! Learn how to fix your car and how it works. Get a chance to show off your own car on Sundays. Or show off your own car mod on Wednesdays. Tool giveaways every Monday to help you with your own car projects. We have a new video every day!

I've been an auto mechanic for the past 50 years and I'm here to share my knowledge with you.

►Here's our weekly video schedule: Monday: Tool giveaway Tuesday: Auto repair video Wednesday: Viewers car mod show off Thursday: Viewer Car Question Video AND Live Car Q&A Friday: Auto repair video Saturday: Second Live Car Q&A Sunday: Viewers car show off ►Second Daily Upload Every Afternoon of Live Car Q&A videos as well!

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Broken hood release cable, Scotty makes it look easy! I had this happen once on my Lumina years ago and I had no idea how to fix it.
Had to take it in, I could fix it myself now.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Broken hood release cable, Scotty makes it look easy! I had this happen once on my Lumina years ago and I had no idea how to fix it.
Had to take it in, I could fix it myself now.

"So now you know!"

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
So today I was to meet up with a friend, leave my car and head to a 3rd friends house to pick him up and the three of us were to go for a hike, than a local music performance. Well, got in the car and the shifter wouldn't go into gear(5sp). So I hopped out, grabbed my things and jumped in the work truck instead. Met my friend and she followed me to a lot where I was going to leave my truck. We drive for 10 minutes, I pull in the lot and she pulls in behind me. I get out of the truck and she pulls up looking concerned and says, "Somethings wrong. I have no power steering!"

So she parks, we pop the hood and alas...NO serpentine belt! Nary a trace. Well, it just so happens the shopping center lot I chose has a parts store in it. So we go in and get a belt for the 95 Lexus ls400. Only because I drove the truck did I have a piece of wood to replace her missing hood support, a socket set and rug to lay on. Got the belt on without much trouble and we set off on our journey....

A mile down the road, "Somethings wrong! Somethings wrong." SO we pull into another lot. Pop the hood...busted new belt! The pulley's were piping hot and I deduced that the idler pulley was frozen and friction heated the belt and it snapped. The thing was crispy. So we end up limping back to my truck and the parts store. I pull off the pulley bolt and you can see the carnage in the pic.

We ended up having to drive to an affiliate store to get the pulley and another belt. The trouble this time was that the belt melted into the grooves of the CS and water pump pulley's. A wire brush wouldn't touch it so I ended up using my utility knife to cut and scrape the belt out of the grooves. WOulda been a fast job otherwise but I spent over an hour just cleaning the hard to reach pulleys.

In the end my $4 HF socket set saved they day.

We picked my friend up several hours late, didn't get to hike and was too late for me to see the show but I was at least hailed a hero by the lass with the Lexus.

Nice bearing eh'?

IMG_20190224_173138951.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
...forgot to add. I got home, jumped in the car and in went right into gear. Mysterious forces were at play today.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Got my new Spider today! I'm kind of afraid of it because it's a big job, but now that I have it I have to install it.
See how that works? :beer: I'll have to wait until it gets a little warmer though.

spiderRS.jpg

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Scotty is based.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Most folks have no need for an expensive box.
But if you ever have the chance to cart one home for cheap it's fun to have.
Saw this vid on a tool forum & thought it was interesting.
I promise not to "search" for any more.

<iframe width="1248" height="722" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
...forgot to add. I got home, jumped in the car and in went right into gear. Mysterious forces were at play today.
Don't know if this is your deal or not but maybe there's water in your transmission. When it warms up it works?

I have a carry-deck crane that acted that way once. When we parked it outside we used to put the boom up. Everything must have aligned just right to funnel water runoff to the frayed boot on top of the gearbox. When it got cold one day it wouldn't budge. Ice behind the transmission drain plug told the tale. An hour or so with a heater on it and it was freed up again. What a relief! The crane could go back on the asset side of the ledger again. Seriously, It felt like dodging a bullet.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Don't know if this is your deal or not but maybe there's water in your transmission. When it warms up it works?

I have a carry-deck crane that acted that way once. When we parked it outside we used to put the boom up. Everything must have aligned just right to funnel water runoff to the frayed boot on top of the gearbox. When it got cold one day it wouldn't budge. Ice behind the transmission drain plug told the tale. An hour or so with a heater on it and it was freed up again. What a relief! The crane could go back on the asset side of the ledger again. Seriously, It felt like dodging a bullet.
Good info to know but I think it was the stupid floor mat holding the clutch from fully depressing. I was in a hurry so at the time just jumped out and said Ill deal with it later. Occams razor.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
This is a good one.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
fixing my clothes dryer changed my life -- getting the ball and chain off of my ass

tip - keep your exhaust hose/duct cleaned out. otherwise your thermal fuse will blow and disable the thing. with a clogged hose the heat rises in the dryer b/cause lack of flow out of the exhaust hose. 50 something years old and just learned about the thermal fuse....wtf

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
fixing my clothes dryer changed my life -- getting the ball and chain off of my ass

tip - keep your exhaust hose/duct cleaned out. otherwise your thermal fuse will blow and disable the thing. with a clogged hose the heat rises in the dryer b/cause lack of flow out of the exhaust hose. 50 something years old and just learned about the thermal fuse....wtf
Every year the little woman bitches me out about cleaning out the hose because she heard it could catch fire.
Now that I know it could cost me money, I'll get on it a little sooner.....

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I think satisfaction would be the greatest reason for fixing your own vehicle. Knowing one has the capability's to fix anything is a comfort cause having to depend on others just plain sucks.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode

Every year the little woman bitches me out about cleaning out the hose because she heard it could catch fire.
Now that I know it could cost me money, I'll get on it a little sooner.....
The more the exhaust gets plugged the longer the dryer has to run to dry the same amount of clothes, so my cheap ass gets in the crawl space twice a year to keep the hose clear! My dryer is electric and that adds up in a hurry.
Another thing I learned is fabric softener sheets plug the holes in the lint screen and that makes the dryer work harder and cost more to run too.
Take the lint screen over to the sink and see if water easily passes though it or rolls around on top of it.
If it's plugged any alcohol or solvent that won't melt plastic will clean it. Carb cleaner works good too!

.:2 thumbs up:

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
The guys informative but hard to watch, I mean, is he Italian with all the arm movements or a recovering crack user...or both? He cannot sit still. JMO.
He does wave his arms around a lot now that you mention it, but old Scotty's saved me so much money over the past few years he gets a pass!.